• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, We need to know this: Is the XSX more powerful than the PS5 or not?

JackMcGunns

PS5 does have more room to grow as the architecture setup is brand new which devs aren’t taking advantage of yet. (Think UE5 demo, that is the future of gaming)

More room to grow compared to Xbox Series X? because that's what we're talking about. We already know which console is more powerful, developers have said that they're excited about the PS5's IO, BUT in terms of overall power, XSX has the advantage, but with games using the PS5 as the lead platform, the results are not surprising as we've seen this pattern even with the PS2 was the lead platform vs the undeniably much more powerful OG Xbox.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

More room to grow compared to Xbox Series X? because that's what we're talking about. We already know which console is more powerful, developers have said that they're excited about the PS5's IO, BUT in terms of overall power, XSX has the advantage, but with games using the PS5 as the lead platform, the results are not surprising as we've seen this pattern even with the PS2 was the lead platform vs the undeniably much more powerful OG Xbox.

You’re misunderstanding teraflops as being the be-all of power which is simply incorrect. There’s a lot more to a console than that.

For example did you know that the UE5 demo (best looking game we’ve seen to date) was only as GPU intensive as Fortnite?

Fortnite recommends a GTX 660 GPU.
That is a 2 (yep two) teraflop card.

jerome-platteaux-cave-screenshot-0025.jpg

jerome-platteaux-screenshot-19-a.jpg

galen-davis-galen-ue5-01.jpg

Teraflops don’t determine what is the most powerful.

JackMcGunns

You’re misunderstanding teraflops as being the be-all of power which is simply incorrect. There’s a lot more to a console than that.

For example did you know that the UE5 demo (best looking game we’ve seen to date) was only as GPU intensive as Fortnite?

Fortnite recommends a GTX 660 GPU.
That is a 2 (yep two) teraflop card.

jerome-platteaux-cave-screenshot-0025.jpg

jerome-platteaux-screenshot-19-a.jpg

galen-davis-galen-ue5-01.jpg

Teraflops don’t determine what is the most powerful.

Did you also know that XSX's SSD speed more than qualifies for Unreal Engine 5's requirement?

Teraflops is not ALL that matters, but it certainly does matter.

PooBone

I really feel like this is a question to ask for every multiplatform game that comes out. There's no blanket answer 5 weeks after launch.

John Wick

Well, Phil taking his SX home in 2019 also gets used "all the time" in these pointless arguments. There is nothing to say that what he had in his home at the time was the full feature complete of the Series X regardless of what was being played on it at the time.
MS had exactly the same time frame as Sony. That isn't an excuse. The spec was finalised years ago. You can't just add hardware features last minute like you can with software.

JackMcGunns

Yes, it was mentioned the engine is scalable. It’ll even still work on ipads.

The engine being scalable is good, but just like other scalable engines, it will SCALE up for better hardware, so just because it scales down to an iPad, doesn't mean it will run just as good as a high end PC would.

Why would Xbox Series X have more room to grow than the PS5?

The architecture of the XSX is arguably less exotic and more straight forward. This isn't the PS3 where the hardware is difficult to grapple with

PaintTinJr

The engine being scalable is good, but just like other scalable engines, it will SCALE up for better hardware, so just because it scales down to an iPad, doesn't mean it will run just as good as a high end PC would.
"Better" is the important word in your comment, and I think you are making a massive leap to say that just means more theoretical CU use - despite lower clocks and less balanced design - and more memory bandwidth for 10GB - despite it being split asynchronous memory access with slower for 6GB vs 16GB unified with closer bandwidth to the 10GB rather than 6GB.

Sweeney has already alluded to the fact that the UE5 advancement at that scale is largely because of PS5's enterprise class SSD/IO complex solution. And in every other way than the points I just mentioned the PS5 is "better" hardware and "better" designed hardware for gaming performance - even more so when they (3P devs) tailor the software to the exotic aspects of the PS5 hardware.

If you check out my first comment in this thread, you'll see that even the CPU in real-world performance is superior on the PS5, and that is reflected in the way frame-rate dips recover on PS5 vs XsX in the faceoffs so far.

Ok, so let me see if I understand this:

BC counts for overall performance, but how next gen versions of last gen games run right now don't?

Also, how do you know what I would say about BC if Sony was doing it better?

That sounds like projection to me.
BC counts for overall performance yes. Can you point to any cross gen games that are out now for both platforms that show a similar performance gulf like Modern warfare or Skyrim like was mentioned earlier? If you can sure it counts. I don't believe in ignoring a performance win just because it's better on one than the other. From what I've seen the performance differences on the cross gen stuff is mostly a wash with both having slightly better advantages here and there. Launch cross gen titles aren't really a great way to gage performance anyway. One thing is clear Xbox has a clear advantage in the BC area the next gen stuff we'll just have to see.

You are right about the the projection. I don't know how you'd react to a hypothetical I should have asked a question as supposed to making a a declaration. My apologies.

bitbydeath

Yes, but now your going off-topic as we were talking about XSX. No doubt PC will receive similar speeds in future which is what the demo displaying 8K textures was all about.

Unreal Engine supports Virtual Texturing, which means we can texture our models with many 8K textures without overloading the GPU."

Putting less strain on the GPU to achieve 8K is a huge technical feat.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
BC counts for overall performance yes. Can you point to any cross gen games that are out now for both platforms that show a similar performance gulf like Modern warfare or Skyrim like was mentioned earlier? If you can sure it counts. I don't believe in ignoring a performance win just because it's better on one than the other. From what I've seen the performance differences on the cross gen stuff is mostly a wash with both having slightly better advantages here and there. Launch cross gen titles aren't really a great way to gage performance anyway. One thing is clear Xbox has a clear advantage in the BC area the next gen stuff we'll just have to see.

You are right about the the projection. I don't know how you'd react to a hypothetical I should have asked a question as supposed to making a a declaration. My apologies.
Again....MS had a clear BC win with the base consoles and the mid gen refreshes last gen.

And in the end, how they handle BC had nothing to do with the overall performance of the consoles. If it did, please explain the One S?

......launch cross gen games were used the past 2 generations to judge performance....

Last edited:

Shmunter

Wrong, the xbox has more design quirks to come to grips with, tools aside.
Design quirks yes, like the ram setup likely needs dev focus or it becomes a detriment if not worked around. PS5 on the other hand has additive architecture; it can be ignored with no disadvantage/advantage, or it can be utilised and new doors open up for devs.

Both leave room for improvement, but in very different ways.

Last edited:
Design quirks yes, like the ram setup likely needs dev focus or it becomes a detriment if not worked around. PS5 on the other hand has additive architecture; it can be ignored with no disadvantage/advantage, or it can be utilised and new doors open up for devs.

Both leave room for improvement, but in very different ways.
Ram is one aspect. It'll also take more effort to extract the max performance out of xbox due to the lower clockspeed ; to find clever ways of maximizing the floating point power.

The ps5 only has a higher ceiling on what can be streamed into memory, but that's not going to increase what's actually been drawn in a single frame.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ram is one aspect. It'll also take more effort to extract the max performance out of xbox due to the lower clockspeed ; to find clever ways of maximizing the floating point power.

The ps5 only has a higher ceiling on what can be streamed into memory, but that's not going to increase what's actually been drawn in a single frame.

It has a higher geometry processing ceiling and can have a smaller streaming buffer if the I/O pipe is looked after well (RAM holding X seconds of gameplay ahead) which can help have more unique texture data on screen for example (not sure if either system is going to be streaming data in at the start of the frame especialy at 60-120 Hz).

Last edited:
It’s better to play Skyrim on PC
I thought this discussion was about the the Xbox and PS5.

Again....MS had a clear BC win with the base consoles and the mid gen refreshes last gen.

And in the end, how they handle BC had nothing to do with the overall performance of the consoles. If it did, please explain the One S?

......launch cross gen games were used the past 2 generations to judge performance....
They had the advantages last gen with BC and those advantages are even greater now when you look at titles like Warzone and Skyrim which pley better than they did last gen. How they handle last gen DOES play a role in performance because if MS hadn't designed their console with it in mind it would perform pretty similarly to how the PS5 handles it. The PS5's power is meaningless if it can't offer easily accessible avenues to that power. Isn't that why some were saying that MS is still working on their development tools to unlock additional performance from the XSX|S? What is there to explain about the One S? It handled back compatibility better than the PS4 did too.

You can choose to use launch cross gen titles as a gage of power but at best it leaves it at a tie with XSX and behind for BC. If you are happy with that dynamic so am I. At least if you wait there is a chance the PS5 will really open up a performance advantage at both or either of those areas.

MilkyJoe

One day you will type more than 3 word responses, but I guess that is a bit tough for you.

Tell us about why physics is physics, you say that often but obviously cannot string words together never mind anything meaningful.

Should we just go Uggg Uggg to you ?

Can you follow what we are talking about in this thread ? You make Riky look like a nunclear physicist.

I'm afraid the xbox is quite operational...

Must be finding those tools...

And I asked wether Skyrim on PS5 was even worth anyones while given that it is riddled with bugs and modding is severely limited.
It's a multiplatform game and some people like to choose the best console version of a title. It's why we have so many comparisons for other games. Well for that and console warz.

Top Bottom