• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oklahoma Double Execution Botched: "We're going to close the blinds temporarily."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Also why the Fuck did they close the blinds, if someone is sick enough to go watch someone be murdered show them the whole disgusting thing

Bad PR. You don't want the press realizing that you're literally torturing people (possibly innocent people) to death. That's why the drug cocktail has a paralyzing agent, so no one watching the execution can tell whether or not the person being executed is suffering

GodofWine

Why don't they just pump CO gas into a chamber and let them just "drift away", our even just hook an IV to a vein and drain blood. Either is a pain free way to go. None of this pumping people full of drugs that makes them convulse and fight it.

...what are you talking about? If executing someone was cruel and unusual in and of itself, the death penalty wouldn't be constitutional in this country. But it obviously is.

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

I think its pretty straightforward. I don't know why the courts have ruled the way they have.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning based on Concentration (parts per million)
  • 35 ppm (0.0035%) Headache and dizziness within six to eight hours of constant exposure
  • 100 ppm (0.01%) Slight headache in two to three hours
  • 200 ppm (0.02%) Slight headache within two to three hours; loss of judgment
  • 400 ppm (0.04%) Frontal headache within one to two hours
  • 800 ppm (0.08%) Dizziness, nausea, and convulsions within 45 min; insensible within 2 hours
  • 1,600 ppm (0.16%) Headache, tachycardia, dizziness, and nausea within 20 min; death in less than 2 hours
  • 3,200 ppm (0.32%) Headache, dizziness and nausea in five to ten minutes. Death within 30 minutes.
  • 6,400 ppm (0.64%) Headache and dizziness in one to two minutes. Convulsions, respiratory arrest, and death in less than 20 minutes.
  • 12,800 ppm (1.28%) Unconsciousness after 2–3 breaths. Death in less than three minutes.

Symptoms Based on Percentage of Carboxyhemoglobin (COHb) inside the Bloodstream
  • 0-10 None.
  • 10-20 Tension in forehead, dilation of skin vessels.
  • 20-30 Headache and pulsating temples.
  • 30-40 Severe headache, weariness, dizziness, weakened sight, nausea, vomiting, prostration.
  • 40-50 Severe headache, plus increased breathing and pulse rates, asphyxiation and prostration.
  • 50-60 Same as above, plus coma, convulsions, Cheyne-Stokes respiration.
  • 60-70 Coma, convulsions, weak respiration and pulse. Death is possible.
  • 70-80 Slowing and stopping of breathing, death within hours.
  • 80-90 Death in less than 1 hour.
  • 90-100 Death within a few minutes.

ronito

Bad PR. You don't want the press realizing that you're literally torturing people (possibly innocent people) to death. That's why the drug cocktail has a paralyzing agent, so no one watching the execution can tell whether or not the person being executed is suffering

Well, then the question is "Why wait 16 minutes?"

Honestly I think most people after 30-90 seconds of convulsing would be like "Something might be wrong." who sits there for 16 minutes before they think, "Something ain't right here...."

Buzzman

Banned

Once again: TAKES TOO LONG. Meanwhile the Lethal Injection chemicals travel the blood-stream to the heart and stop it faster. It's "more humane" in the sense that it's quicker/over faster than carbon monoxide build-up.
Decapitation is also faster but I wouldn't call that humane. It's a word I would reserve for something that causes no (minimal) pain and lets them (relatively) calmly fall asleep.

Stet

Banned

Honestly I think most people after 30-90 seconds of convulsing would be like "Something might be wrong." who sits there for 16 minutes before they think, "Something ain't right here...."
They had to wait for everyone in the gallery to finish jerking off.

inky

For a party with such a big Christian contingent, I never understood the cruel bloodlust here.

Or their taste for the accumulation of wealth above all else, or their emphasis on discriminating their fellow citizens, or their prevalent sexist views (well, at least there is more examples of this last one in the Bible), etc.

Ya, it puzzles the mind.

Well members of the press are sent there and it's not like they have a choice.

Yes they do, no one is forcing them to watch a murder they have free will if they lose their job so what at least they should have a clearer conscience, anyone that sits in that room and doesn't try smash the place up and stop it is as guilty as the sick fucked doing the injection

Why don't they just pump CO gas into a chamber and let them just "drift away", our even just hook an IV to a vein and drain blood. Either is a pain free way to go. None of this pumping people full of drugs that makes them convulse and fight it.

"drift away"

I think its pretty straightforward. I don't know why the courts have ruled the way they have.

Yeah, okay. I thought we were actually talking about the merits of carbon monoxide as an execution tool. Didn't know it was actually gonna be an argument over capital punishment in the US.

benjipwns

Banned

Agents of the state who have no reason to care about their victims? And are even told it's right to victimize those they do?

Yes they do, no one is forcing them to watch a murder they have free will if they lose their job so what at least they should have a clearer conscience, anyone that sits in that room and doesn't try smash the place up and stop it is as guilty as the sick fucked doing the injection

Well now you're just not thinking rationally here. Pretty good idea for media to be able to document the proceeding. It is after all a legal proceeding.

Konka

Banned

So members of the press who document war are just as bad...? What.

Paskil

Never really understood the argument for the death penalty. Why would you want to give them peace by killing them? Let them rot for a couple of decades. It's cheaper that way. Pretty much win-win for conservatives.

bigmf

Really tell me more. Just because you can do something humanely, does mean it will happen like that every time. You act as if this is somehow exact science, it isn't. Each individual person reacts differently to drugs, there is no doubting this fact of biology. If it wasn't the case then you wouldn't have any problems with anesthesia, guess what the medical community does on a daily basis.

OK, I will tell you more. If you have a government that is dedicated to executing people the least they could do, is get the job done quickly. If they don't know how the drugs will work, they should make other arrangements.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning based on Concentration (parts per million)
  • 35 ppm (0.0035%) Headache and dizziness within six to eight hours of constant exposure
  • 100 ppm (0.01%) Slight headache in two to three hours
  • 200 ppm (0.02%) Slight headache within two to three hours; loss of judgment
  • 400 ppm (0.04%) Frontal headache within one to two hours
  • 800 ppm (0.08%) Dizziness, nausea, and convulsions within 45 min; insensible within 2 hours
  • 1,600 ppm (0.16%) Headache, tachycardia, dizziness, and nausea within 20 min; death in less than 2 hours
  • 3,200 ppm (0.32%) Headache, dizziness and nausea in five to ten minutes. Death within 30 minutes.
  • 6,400 ppm (0.64%) Headache and dizziness in one to two minutes. Convulsions, respiratory arrest, and death in less than 20 minutes.
  • 12,800 ppm (1.28%) Unconsciousness after 2–3 breaths. Death in less than three minutes.

I appreciate what you are trying to show here...least I think I understand what you are trying to show here.

The thing is, for the most part we all react differently, Unconsciousness after 2-3 breaths. So they skipped everything and they just went to a dream like state, how is this proven? How can this be known? One of the issues that occurred with lethal injection, was the fact that individuals started to speak up. They started to doubt whether or not all individuals simply washed away into a dream-like state of unconsciousness.

Derwind

It's not about being sorry for them.

We can be better as a society.

*Round of applause*

Vengeance =/= Justice.

Too many people are okay with blurring the lines which speaks volumes about the type of society we live in.

Peoples emotions need not be a primary factor in their ability to form decisions on important subjects.

RoKKeR

There's so many more reasons it's not a very good idea. It really should be abolished.

Most of the times I feel "for" it are usually due to an emotional response to reading what somebody has done, but generally I feel that it does more harm than good.

And when I say good there really isn't much good, haha.

Effnine

For a party with such a big Christian contingent, I never understood the cruel bloodlust here.

When are these type of "Christians" never hypocritical about anything? The GOP is a joke and Christians who support the death penalty are a joke ... I still can't believe some of the poor and underprivileged in this country continue to support a party and system that is 100% against them ... It's 2014, we have vast amounts of information and knowledge at our fingertips and yet this kind of shit just continues marching on ...

Two points.

Firstly, a barbaric act is barbaric regardless of whether the victim also committed barbaric acts.

Secondly, America is a democracy. All Americans are partly responsible. If this bothers you, use your freedoms, your voice and your vote to make a change.

benjipwns

Banned
Not much, law is one of the few things that blocks the road between chaos and peace.
If you'll oblige me shamelessly quoting myself from another thread:
The amusing or depressing part is that one of the purposes of a codified law and established legal system is to eliminate people taking justice and retribution into their own hands with things like gang/clan/revenge killings. Instead we're all supposed to submit to the system for the benefit of stability and security. So we put the criminals through this elaborate and expensive process just to wind up killing them for revenge in the end.

Paskil

Two points.

Firstly, a barbaric act is barbaric regardless of whether the victim also committed barbaric acts.

Secondly, America is a democracy. All Americans are partly responsible. If this bothers you, use your freedoms, your voice and your vote to make a change.

Educate yourself. This is not true.

Two points.

Can't argue with that.

Educate yourself. This is not true.

You can omit that if you like. And the voting for that matter. But organizing and making demands is still a must, democracy or no!

OK, I will tell you more. If you have a government that is dedicated to executing people the least they could do, is get the job done quickly. If they don't know how the drugs will work, they should make other arrangements.

I'm against capital punishment, just so you know. With that said, what I'm stating is this: It is impossible to carry out capital punishment in a way that is guaranteed to be antithesis of "cruel and unusual punishment".

Paches

Two points.

To your second point, I did! I voted for my newly elected governor who ordered the state to suspend all executions while he is in office. Washington state FTW.

Effnine

America is a democracy ... your voice and your vote to make a change.

iqwE3kZKX6IUL.gif

I don't know why they have to make it so complicated. Give them a gallon of morphine and be done with it. Sleepy time and never wake up.

That said, watch as I don't give a shit about how painful a murderer's death was.

Erm, just because America is not a perfect utopian democracy, or just because you don't vote on every detail down to which tie Obama should put on in the morning doesn't make it not a democracy. What is it then, a theocracy? A patriarchy? Oligarchy? We vote for the men and women who have the power to change laws and enact justice. If you pretend the death penalty has nothing to do with you and it's totally out of your hands, that just means you have given up on democracy.

Effnine

I don't know why they have to make it so complicated. Give them a gallon of morphine and be done with it. Sleepy time and never wake up.

That said, watch as I don't give a shit about how painful a murderer's death was.

Can you be 100% sure that every person on death row is supposed to be there?

Josh7289

I'm glad that my state has abolished the death penalty and will try to make sure it stays that way. I also hope that it's abolished in the entire country as soon as possible. No one has the right to take the life of anyone else.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom