• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old PS2 games you remember being awesome

kagamin

RADcover.jpg

Have your bread and water soup Rymuth.

Strike

I'm always going to rep for Shadow of Rome in these threads because it never seems to get enough love. Underrated title for sure.

Wavebossa

FFX-2 is underrated in terms of battle and exploration (its exploration and easter eggs rivals the best games in the series)

Sadly is very accurately rated in terms of story.

Katamari Damacy was amazing.

WLK is supposed to be better so maybe get that one, but it didn't have as profound an impact as the original for me.

The lack of anything Naughty Dog, Insomniac, and Suckerpunch Studios is seriously disturbing.

It's for the same reason why you don't see Gran Turismo or GTA games mentioned here. OP is looking for games that were overlooked.

007 Everything or Nothing: The game that made me feel like Bond the most. Playing as Pierce Brosnan with Willem Dafoe as the villain the story was enjoyably cheesy and the gameplay was solid. I'm still hoping for a future Bond title that follows its template (let's forget about 007: Bloodstone).

There was sort of a sequel [prequel??] game using this same formula with From Russia With Love. It used the same engine, it's a pretty good retelling of the movie and it's even Sean Connery's last role before retiring. But the game lacks the excitement and cleverness that Everything or Nothing had. Still good to check out if you liked EoN. I also hear that the Quantum of Solace port on PS2 is done in this style instead of the FPS format done on PS3/X360 but I haven't checked it out myself yet.

ultra7k

I always thought the following two games never got much talk.

Spy Hunter
James Bond: Everything or Nothing

I mean, Everything or Nothing had the following supporting cast in addition to Brosnan and Dench.

Willem Dafoe
Heidi Klum (!)
Shannon Elizabeth
Mya

On top of that it was pretty fun. Going through the jungle in your Porsche Cayenne!

I'm loving the appreciation Everything or Nothing is getting right now.

I still find it amazing that out of all the Bond licensed games made around this time, this is the only one that actually got Pierce Brosnan to voice himself.

I know that a lot of you won't agree with me but I should also give a nod to GolenEye: Rogue Agent.

goldeneye-rogue-agent-20041115052303462.jpg

This game got a ton of hate before it even got out the door because it was obviously trying to cash in on the GoldenEye name. It's also pretty funny how they justify using the name in the game. Your character is an ex-00 agent who was shot in the eye, but got a bionic replacement made out of gold. So you literally have a Golden Eye, get it?

But after playing it I can confirm it's not a bad game. It has some flat spots but overall it's very enjoyable. It has some of the best graphics on the PS2, the eye special abilities were ripped straight out of Deus Ex and proud of it, and I like the storyline where you're now a bad guy going after classic Bond villains in an alternate universe where Bond doesn't exist. It's really amazing what they were able to do with the license here and I think the haters were really just pearl clutching the N64 GoldenEye too much to realize how good this game is in its own right.

PseudoViper

• Tales of Abyss
  • Black
  • XIII
  • Tony Hawk Underground
  • Need for Speed Underground 2
  • Final Fantasy X
  • The Bouncer
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex (it was surprisingly really good)
  • Rogue Galaxy
  • San Andreas
  • Shin Megami 3 & 4
  • God Hand
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • Budokai 3

AudioEppa

Marc Eckō's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure.
Freedom Fighters.
Jet Li: Rise to Honor.
State of Emergency 1 and 2.
Disaster Report and Raw Danger! (DR's sequel)
Narc.

SephLuis

I really need to get back on some of my PS2 backlog >.>

I kinda want to say Drakengard. The actual game is shit, but the experience you go through with it is pretty amazing. It's a game you finish once in your life and never return to it. You probably aren't going to forget the game for as long as you live.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
250px-Wizardry-TaleOfTheForsakenLandPS2.JPG

607877-wizardry-tale-of-the-forsaken-land-playstation-2-screenshot.png

playstation-42360-41333142345.jpg

Japan does Wizardry and it crafts it in its own fashion that is both accessible and features some of the best turn-based combat and dungeon crawling on the PS2. A true classic that so few probably know exists and by a miracle was localized by Atlus.

rackham

Banned
I always really enjoyed the .hack games. Both the infection and g.u. series.

Ive always dreamed Sony and bandai would bring them to vita. Lol. Fat chance.

I flippin loved Rogue Galaxy, it doesnt have the town building aspect that Dark Cloud had, but it was a planet hopping good time. And that factory minigame was good enough to be fleshed out into a full game

I think I spent more time working out those factory puzzles than I did in the game proper.

Ceadeus

Rogue Galaxy was a really good RPG that sadly got overlooked. Made by the same company that made the Prof. Layton games no less (and Jeanne d'arc on PSP).

I love the art style although it might be a bit too stylised for some, but this game had a lot of polish.

roguegalaxy13.gif

Character models that changed based on equipped armor, enemy varience, intricate crafting systems and side-quests and mini-games... There was a lot to get lost in with Rogue Galaxy. It reminded me a lot of Chrono Trigger (it even has the multiple character techs)

roguegalaxy05.gif

Was going to say this as well. My ps2 favorite actually.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
While browsing a few thrift stores in the neighborhood, I came across a few PS2 games that I skipped back in the day, so I figured why not, spend a few bucks and see if I missed something fun. Ended up grabbing Twisted Metal Black, Kill.Switch, and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger.

Glad somebody else remembers this game. When I was a kid, every year at the beach, I would speedrun through the game in a single sitting.

Does anybody know if the sequels were any good?

250px-Wizardry-TaleOfTheForsakenLandPS2.JPG

607877-wizardry-tale-of-the-forsaken-land-playstation-2-screenshot.png

playstation-42360-41333142345.jpg

Japan does Wizardry and it crafts it in its own fashion that is both accessible and features some of the best turn-based combat and dungeon crawling on the PS2. A true classic that so few probably know exists and by a miracle was localized by Atlus.

This is one of those "bypassed in the embarrassment of riches" that was Gen 6 JRPGs, but with God as my witness I will find one of these for sale lower than 3 digits.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Also, the lack of these three beauties in this thread disturbs me.

bjTHjsoBUEWFLlO-556x313-noPad.jpg

EDIT: Also, does it count if I didn't play Shadow of the Colossus until 2011?

Aters

Shout out to GrimGrimoire

It's an RTS game developed by the same people who made Odin Sphere. Solid game and not very long. Never saw people talk about it on GAF, maybe it's because it was not published by Atlus?

Grief.exe

I believe this was ported by a different studio, so this isn't as high quality as the GC version, but still a great game.

200391-header.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
OP, depending on your interest, the PS2 versions of MGS2 and MGS3 are still worth playing because they actually have slightly more content than the HD versions released for 360/PS3.

Top Bottom