• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On Super Bomberman R, glimmers of hope for Konami, and Bomberman in Smash

Neiteio

bomberman-logoytot9.png

I'm feeling pretty good. That's because Bomberman is BACK.

...well, he's been back, obviously — his new game, a Switch launch title in March, is now the bestselling installment in 20 years. But I just plunked down $50 for a digital copy last night because Konami released a patch that unlocks the framerate in Story Mode and makes Battle Mode run at 60 fps. They've also been updating it with other quality-of-life options, like the ability to shift the camera angle in Story Mode for that classic top-down view (just tap L or R), and new CPU difficulty levels for Battle Mode. Also, I'm not sure if this is new, but you can lock the camera in Battle Mode — so no panning and zooming.

I've been wanting a new Bomberman for awhile, but I didn't feel compelled to buy right away because the game, at launch, seemed unpolished to me. It's difficult for me to support even the most beloved game series if it feels like they're not being paid proper respect. (I've currently held off on Yooka-Laylee for similar reasons, despite being a huge fan of its spiritual predecessor Banjo-Kazooie.)

But this patch pretty much fixes everything.

Now that I'm actually playing it, I'm impressed by what it has to offer. Tight controls, tried-and-true gameplay, fun touches like Revenge Carts and Pressure Blocks, fun stage gimmicks like floor switches and magnets, loads of options and unlocks, shiny graphics, catchy music, slick menus, a challenging Story Mode with cool stage themes (the mechanized planet!) and Saturday morning cartoon-style cutscenes...

You can even play Battle Mode in one-player against a full field of CPUs, which is great for a quick fix when no one's around and you don't feel like going online. Playing this game... Oh man, it's just so good. A great addition to my Switch "arcade" that will soon feature the best Mario Kart, as well. And it's got me wanting to talk about Konami in general and how Bomberman would be perfect for Smash.

Glimmers of hope for Konami: Please don't take this as me jumping the gun. I'm not saying "Konami is back." Bad Guy Konami is still very much a concern. But I'm beginning to feel hopeful that maybe, just maybe, they'll turn things around.

Super Bomberman R likely began life as a low-budget title rushed to market — a move that probably worked out for them, mediocre reviews aside, since hitting launch meant it was a pick-up title for many people buying Zelda. In being rushed to stores, the game wasn't as well-optimized as it should've been. The underlying gameplay and content was solid, but technically it had issues.

Now that the game has sold well, it seems like Konami is reconsidering this and other neglected properties. (See the article at the link at the start of this thread.) Their ongoing support for Bomberman, post-release, is adding things that should've been there from the start... but it still shows that they're listening, and trying to make a successful product even more so.

This is encouraging in a way. I had resigned myself to the notion that MGSV — easily one of the most fun games ever made — would be the last proper game from Konami. I didn't think they'd ever do anything with the Bomberman franchise, let alone try to improve it after launch and continue to support it with free content. But they've been adding performance upgrades, quality-of-life options, new stages to unlock in-game with the currency you earn in-game... They even have new characters on the way, for free:

screenshot2017-04-21a6qprx.png

Konami sits on a MASSIVE treasure trove of classic franchises. Aside from Bomberman, which they acquired, they also have Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Castlevania, Contra, Ganbare Goemon, Gradius, Suikoden, Dance Dance Revolution, Zone of the Enders... Heck, even Frogger. Of those, I really want another Goemon.

A small part of me hopes that maybe we'll see more projects like Super Bomberman R, which apparently started with Nintendo calling Konami and pitching the concept. Imagine another 2D Castlevania, or a Goemon or Contra with two-player co-op perfect for Switch. Probably a pipe dream... but then again, who ever thought we'd see what is effectively Super Bomberman 6, at launch, on the Switch? And with significant post-release updates, to boot?

I know we all want to say "#FucKonami," but frankly, when they fuck up, we lose. So many amazing franchises are missing in action — for my tastes, second only to Nintendo and Capcom. I'm rooting for their return.

Bomberman in Smash:

I just wanted to close by saying how deserved this would be. Bomberman would be perfect for Smash. Even if Super Bomberman R hadn't shown up at launch, I'd still say Bomberman deserves to join the ranks of Mega Man, Pac-Man and Sonic in terms of iconic third-party guest characters.

Coincidentally, his latest game has eight characters that would be perfect for alts. You have the White Bomber, by default, followed by Red, Blue, Black, Yellow, Green, Pink and my favorite, Aqua. Knowing Sakurai, he'd give them their unique animations and expressions while maintaining the same move-set properties. That right there would add a lot of personality to the game (not that Smash has a personality deficit or anything).

His credentials certainly justify it. Bomberman has a long-running history on Nintendo consoles, pumping out installments for nearly the entire time Nintendo's been making games — my personal favorites being Bomberman 64 and Bomberman Hero on the N64. If Smash Switch is a thing — and I don't see why it wouldn't be — then maybe there'll be new characters, and Bomberman will be among them.

Along with Snake and Simon Belmont.

Just imagine pumping up bombs, lobbing and kicking, maybe bouncing them like in Bomberman 64, and unleashing fire pillars that cascade across the stage. Maybe his green rabbit Louie can play a role. Maybe the vehicles from Hero would factor into his recovery. There are endless possibilities here. It just... feels right. Smash is a celebration of gaming (and in many respects, Japanese gaming in particular). Bomberman deserves the invite.

Anyways, I'm just gushing at this point. Proceed to roll your eyes... or share the hype. I'm just happy Bomberman is back. Hopefully the other Konami classics will follow. :)

I'm just glad that I can actually recommend the game to people now that it's hit a good enough stage. There was good stuff there at launch, it just needed some polishing which they've done quite admirably. Imagine if we didn't have patches. We would've been stuck with the game at launch and the dev team would've just had to grin and bear it.

It's now at the stage and price it should've been at launch.
Good on Konami for supporting it, I'll probably pick it up later in the year if I have the time and it's cheap.
Better than Pachinko, at least...
or Erotic Bombergirl

Really want to pick up this game now.

But not for $90AU 😔

Might play a VC game while I wait for a sale, what Bombermans are the best?

Skyzard

Banned
Bomberman in Smash would be cool. And it's great that they improved the framerate and fixed other issues but apparently it's sub-native resolution now, and it's just bomberman. With the framerate still not holding 60fps in story mode... I mean :/

It's nice they didn't cut and run but it is what it is.

It's a story that will go down in history. Super Bomberman R was always a good game but they literally addressed all of its issues in a patch. How often does that happen?

dickroach

I'm still pissed there wasn't a big ad campaign for Bomberman R where they used a parody of Barbara Ann by the Beach Boys, replacing "ba ba ba ba barbara ann" with "ba ba ba ba bomberman"

Neiteio

Bomberman in Smash would be cool. And it's great that they improved the framerate and fixed other issues but apparently it's sub-native resolution now, and it's just bomberman. With the framerate still not holding 60fps in story mode... I mean :/

Best as I can tell, the resolution only looks a bit "soft" in handheld mode — not something you'll notice much during a frantic match. And playing it docked on my TV, the whole game looks super-sharp.

I'm actually surprised by how nice this game looks in person. I didn't think I'd care for the realistic lighting and shadows, but it gives the look a tactile quality, which might've been the intent since Battle Mode sets the maze on the surface of a picnic table, perhaps going for Pikmin's "in real life" approach.

It works nicely, and the gameplay itself is super-tight. I'm grinning ear to ear playing Bomberman again. It's just like I remember, but that's OK, because I remember it being fun.

Mega

Banned

Is this confirmed? I have a pair of Story mode snapshots from portable mode, before and after patch, and there's almost no difference except after-patch looks a little more aliased. That could be the artifacts of the lossy Switch snapshot feature. In mid-gameplay, I see no difference.

Its nice to dream

i await your tears when konami fails you again
I have a great feeling a about them. They're clearly trying to build up their image in the eyes of the community with Bomberman, the upcoming DLC didn't have to be free.

I reckon this is just the beginning of a new era of Konami. E3 will bring the goods. Super Castlevania R and Super Contra R!

Even if they don't want to enter the AAA gaming space again, I hope they are willing to release niftier titles in classic franchises like Goemon, Castlevania, Bonk, etc... on Switch (or whatever platform the can be successful on).

DMONKUMA

Like someone mentioned in the other thread. If Nintendo can convince Konami to make another Zone of the Enders.....Lord have mercy.

Is this confirmed? I have a pair of Story mode snapshots from portable mode, before and after patch, and there's almost no difference except after-patch looks a little more aliased. That could be the artifacts of the lossy Switch snapshot feature. In mid-gameplay, I see no difference.
I'm not seeing much of a visual downgrade either, I expect there to be one seeming as they doubled the frame rate but it honestly looks great.

Nice example of a Unity game done right too.

Neiteio

Even if they don't want to enter the AAA gaming space again, I hope they are willing to release niftier titles in classic franchises like Goemon, Castlevania, Bonk, etc... on Switch (or whatever platform the can be successful on).
I'd also be fine with this, for the time being. At some point, people would probably want another AAA Metal Gear or Silent Hill, but certainly it'd be great to see lower budget updates to classic franchises that are still polished and rich in content. Titles like Goemon R, Contra R, Castlevania R, etc.

Speaking of the "R" in Super Bomberman R... What does it stand for, anyways??

kneePat

It still baffles me that Konami actually made this thing and is supporting it the way they are. In this day and age, I'm just astounded that Bomberman is even a thing.

I'd also be fine with this, for the time being. At some point, people would probably want another AAA Metal Gear or Silent Hill, but certainly it'd be great to see lower budget updates to classic franchises that are still polished and rich in content. Titles like Goemon R, Contra R, Castlevania R, etc.

I thought it meant Returns.

But I think im wrong.

Returns, Reborn....and Rangers.

I think it was Rangers? Revival is also fitting.

Neiteio

It still baffles me that Konami actually made this thing and is supporting it the way they are. In this day and age, I'm just astounded that Bomberman is even a thing.
Seriously. When I learned that Konami owned Bomberman, it felt like someone had custody of my kid and also happened to live in a burning barn. It's a huge relief to see a title like Super Bomberman R turn out well (given some patches), and exist at all, for that matter. This one dodged the pachislots!

Skyzard

Banned

Posts about it here. The OP mentions a visual downgrade in the OP as well.

Might need to wait for DF to get an idea of the damage.

Mediking

Pretty sure Sakurai is already making up ideas for Bomberman in Smash. Lol

Really glad Nintendo has managed to help Konami like this. Hopefully Konami can rebound and get more confident in future game releases.

Jawmuncher

Pretty sure Sakurai is already making up ideas for Bomberman in Smash. Lol

Really glad Nintendo has managed to help Konami like this. Hopefully Konami can rebound and get more confident in future game releases.

If bomberman makes it into smash, I swear it better be a two for one deal like capcom got with Mega Man and Ryu

Neiteio

I'm hoping that Nintendo will continue to persuade Konami to make cool projects for Switch.
Imagine Nintendo calling up Konami and getting Good-Feel (the fine folk behind Kirby's Epic Yarn and Yoshi's Wooly World) to make a two-player co-op Ganbare Goemon (a.k.a. Legend of the Mystical Ninja) for the Switch.

IF I MAY DREAM FURTHER... It'd come with amiibo of Goemon and Ebisumaru. And a giant amiibo of Impact, which plays the Impact theme.

Damn, wish they'd release Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon or Goemon's Great Adventure on the Virtual Console. All this Konami talk makes me think I'll download the SNES one on N3DS, though. Also Contra III and Castlevania IV.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I've been wanting a new Bomberman for awhile, but I didn't feel compelled to buy right away because the game, at launch, seemed unpolished to me. It's difficult for me to support even the most beloved game series if it feels like they're not being paid proper respect. (I've currently held off on Yooka-Laylee for similar reasons, despite being a huge fan of its spiritual predecessor Banjo-Kazooie.)

But this patch pretty much fixes everything.

I was like that as well. Bomberman may be timeless but when you've played the highs of the series ('94 and Saturn for me) which clearly had so much love put into them, you don't really want anything less. And a shoddy game capitalising on the name but not really caring about it is hard to support. It just makes you wish for times gone by really.

But the support since launch has flipped my opinion. Whether motivated by the sales or not it's showing show love and respect for the game, and that's great to see and deserves support.

As for what I want to see in the future I hope this example proves there is still a place for games like this. Japan obviously has a rich history of games this size, Konami being a big part of that. And I think there could be a desire to revisit those simpler, and far less risky times. The Switch really is an ideal place for them.

Oh, and kangaroos.

Glimmers of hope?

They've put Pyramid Head in Bomberman, after cancelling Silent Hills.

They've put Simon Belmont in Bomberman, after revealing another pachinko machine.

If anything, it's saying to me that they'd rather just tease those games rather than actually make those games.

Yes, well done on updating their game, but that hardly undoes the past few years of being awful.

Really not a very good version of bomberman. Far worse than the PS3/360 bomberman arcade games, and yet far more expensive.

It sold well because it's a launch game. It didn't even sell that well though, look at the NPD data.

Hattori

Banned

Revengeance

Neiteio

Glimmers of hope?

They've put Simon Belmont in Bomberman, after revealing another pachinko machine.

If anything, it's saying to me that they'd rather just tease those games rather than actually make those games.

Yes, well done on updating their game, but that hardly undoes the past few years of being awful.
Well yeah, that's why we're talking hope on the scale of "glimmers" here. They still have a lot of goodwill to earn back. My hope is that Super Bomberman R is the start. I think the potential is there.

mindsale

Really not a very good version of bomberman. Far worse than the PS3/360 bomberman arcade games, and yet far more expensive.

It sold well because it's a launch game. It didn't even sell that well though, look at the NPD data.

Is it weird that the frame rate increase and DLC characters have be seriously considering this game at its ridiculous $50 price point?

What studio is developing this? Maybe Konami will greenlight another classic IP on Switch after Super Bomberman exceeded expectations (assuming it did).

I think these type of experiences work well with the each of the Switch, handheld, and Nintendo audiences. Hopefully all developers realize their is a market for these experiences. We have Bomberman, classic Sonic, and Street Fighter II already. Hopefully more are on the way.

Neiteio

Is it weird that the frame rate increase and DLC characters have be seriously considering this game at its ridiculous $50 price point?
It's a great game. I feel like I'm getting everything I want out of Bomberman and then some.

I'd ultimately like to see a return to the 3D Bomberman, seen in Bomberman 64 — I think that was a cool formula — but as far as classic Bomberman goes, R is great fun.

Glimmers of hope?

It's not like they've included these cameos to spite the fan base, it's harmless fun. And it's free.

Given Konami's recent support with Bomberman and the fact they're currently developing Metal Gear Survive (regardless if people care about that game) there's no reason to believe they aren't working on other franchises. Konami seem to have a new strategy and it looks like console games are apart of it.

They could have made Super Bomberman R into a service full of microtransactions but they didn't, they're very likely working on multiple projects.

Neiteio

What studio is developing this? Maybe Konami will greenlight another classic IP on Switch after Super Bomberman exceeded expectations (assuming it did).

I think these type of experiences work well with the each of the Switch, handheld, and Nintendo audiences. Hopefully all developers realize their is a market for these experiences. We have Bomberman, classic Sonic, and Street Fighter II already. Hopefully more are on the way.
I'm not sure who the studio is, but I recall reading that the original Bomberman developers worked on R. Maybe someone here can tell us more.

Skyzard

Banned
They're going to butcher Kororinpa HD Rumble even if they make it, aren't they :(

Hope Nintendo makes it for them.

Jawmuncher

It's not like they've included these cameos to spite the fan base, it's harmless fun. And it's free.

Given Konami's recent support with Bomberman and the fact they're currently developing Metal Gear Survive (regardless if people care about that game) there's no reason to believe they aren't working on other franchises. Konami seem to have a new strategy and it looks like console games are apart of it.

Those cameos were to spite me.
They really don't want me to see snake on nintendo.

Top Bottom