• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On Super Bomberman R, glimmers of hope for Konami, and Bomberman in Smash

Sandfox

Really not a very good version of bomberman. Far worse than the PS3/360 bomberman arcade games, and yet far more expensive.

It sold well because it's a launch game. It didn't even sell that well though, look at the NPD data.
I would say the game is doing well for what it is.

I'm not sure who the studio is, but I recall reading that the original Bomberman developers worked on R. Maybe someone here can tell us more.

Just googled it and apparently was made by some former Hudson people and Hexadrive.

Maybe they can continue the revivals with either this studio or another.

Really not a very good version of bomberman. Far worse than the PS3/360 bomberman arcade games, and yet far more expensive.

It sold well because it's a launch game. It didn't even sell that well though, look at the NPD data.
Having played the 360, WiiWare and DSi games for several hundred hours a piece...yeah, no. R takes a mile-high dump on those, even more so post-patch. R actually feels like a proper Bomberman game with some depth. The only thing that could make it better would be a Jetters/Generations-style adventure mode...but that clearly wasn't what they were going for.

Anyway. Does the director of Castlevania: Circle of the Moon still work at Konami?

NimbusD

Sucks. I sold the game the day before this new patch because of the stupid hard ai in single player and the dlsingke player coins used for continues are also tied to being able to unlock anything at all. Made it a nightmare and a chore to unlock stuff. Seems like they at least somewhat improved those main gripes, so now maybe when it's super cheap or something I'll give it another go during a game drought or something.

While it's nice that they're improving the game in various ways, I think the gaming community shouldn't be so quick to forgive and forget all the bs they've pulled. And while 60 fps is nice too, it seems they dropped down the resolution to achieve it. Not exactly hard to achieve.

I love a lot of their franchises though so I'd love for them to come back strong.

Glad to hear about the improvements to R. Played it at a buddy's house for a bit and only good takeaway was the music. Now this'll be my third purchase for the Switch after Zelda and Voez.

hatchx

Banned
Please bring back Geomon. It doesn't need to be some big AAA adventure, just a top down adventure with some decent pixel art graphics and the same amazing soundtrack and co-op.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I know we all want to say "#FucKonami," but frankly, when they fuck up, we lose. So many amazing franchises are missing in action — for my tastes, second only to Nintendo and Capcom. I'm rooting for their return.

No, just annoying Jim Sterling meme army. #ThankGodForKonamisBemaniGames

Please bring back Geomon. It doesn't need to be some big AAA adventure, just a top down adventure with some decent pixel art graphics and the same amazing soundtrack and co-op.
I'd like them to take some inspiration from the DS Goemon game and go for that Okami-ish watercolor look. It would look fantastic on the Switch screen.

How is the online multiplayer for this joint? Because I love me some bomberman. My friend broke my snes controller out of frustration back in the day thanks to bomberman tho

How is the online multiplayer for this joint? Because I love me some bomberman. My friend broke my snes controller out of frustration back in the day thanks to bomberman tho
It's very popular, you'll always find a match. Whether you'll find a lag free match is another story but it's been pretty fluid since the patch.

It's very popular, you'll always find a match. Whether you'll find a lag free match is another story but it's been pretty fluid since the patch.
They've also updated to show connection strength of people in the room. If someone has one bar, there can be some lag. Of everyone has three or more bars, it's usually buttery smooth.

Wish they had an option for the room to vote to boot bad connection people,

aadiboy

I don't think a low-budget, Nintendo funded Bomberman game is indicative of any major strides by Konami towards returning to the game industry. Bomberman's success might spur them on to make more cheap classic games, but I don't think this is going to get them to make anything "big" again.

Jawmuncher

I don't think a low-budget, Nintendo funded Bomberman game is indicative of any major strides by Konami towards returning to the game industry. Bomberman's success might spur them on to make more cheap classic games, but I don't think this is going to get them to make anything "big" again.

But it could mean nintendo might be willing to pay for snake in smash again.

thedan001

I'm picking this up tomorrow, was waiting to see if Konami polished the controls to be more tighter.

That said, I'm hoping the online battles will last a while with matchmaking because I won't have too many opportunities to play locally unless more shipments of switches come in.

Metal Gear Survive shouldn't be ignored, Konami are developing new console games as we speak. I know people aren't happy with Survive but it's a sign of more to come. It's not just Bomberman.

Jawmuncher

I'd rather them fund Contra Collection with all the NES, SNES games, Contra 4, Hardcore and Rebirth on one Switch cartridge for $40 than Snake in Smash,

Hurtful. Especially when such a collection would be chump change or all the titles could just be thrown on VC when that arrives.

Now you've done it, he won't like that.

It's alright. Snake's had a hard life.
cryingotacon.jpg

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm going to ask friends and family of Treasure if they've heard from them recently, and if they're ok.

Must start laying the groundwork for Gradius.

Eolz

Let's #ThanKonami for what they did with this game. Hopefully they'll continue like this for this game and others in the future.

Bomberman absolutely deserves to be in Smash, unlike most crazy/stupid requests. Part of japanese history as much as Megaman and Ryu, and fits like Pac-Man.

Vidiot

I wonder if we haven't heard of Smash Switch yet because they decided to make it Smash 4 Deluxe like MK8 instead of just a straight port.

Jawmuncher

Let's #ThanKonami for what they did with this game. Hopefully they'll continue like this for this game and others in the future.

Bomberman absolutely deserves to be in Smash, unlike most crazy/stupid requests. Part of japanese history as much as Megaman and Ryu, and fits like Pac-Man.

Bomberman does deserve to be in smash.
With snake.

Sterok

Momotaro and Bombeman were both successes, so I suspect Konami will continue working with Nintendo on smaller games of old franchises. Seems to be working for both of them.

IrishNinja

I have a great feeling a about them. They're clearly trying to build up their image in the eyes of the community with Bomberman, the upcoming DLC didn't have to be free.

I reckon this is just the beginning of a new era of Konami. E3 will bring the goods. Super Castlevania R and Super Contra R!

rwVGW.gif

i feel you though, man. i was on here for YEARS telling people to believe in shenmoo 3

KtSlime

The next Hudson Soft title Konami should bring back is Adventure Island!

Come on Nintendo, Konami make it happen.

Chibot

Wow- I just realized it's been 11 freaking years since the last mainline Suikoden. And it was really good. 😞

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Thanks to Nintendo licensing the Momotaro Dentetsu brand in Japan from Konami, the recent 3DS title sold over 300,000 copies in Japan. Plus, Valhalla, the devs behind Devil's Third, were in charge of this.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Comprehensive old school Konami in Switch VC, plz.

ZoE, plz.

Also, Nintendo needs to get their shit together wrt the eShop. You can't even find Bomberman in there unless you specifically search for it. Bad shit, man.

Yep. And Simon Belmont should be the 3rd. More relevant to Nintendo than Snake never was. Snake should be 3rd though.

255px-Cloud_SSB4.png

http://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/

The character must carry game history with them.
Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform.

Keyword: "Courtesy"

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

Sakurai: But on the other hand, if you think about who to add from Final Fantasy, it's hard to come up with a choice that's not Cloud. We could have used Terra or Bartz, protagonists in their own right, but I feel like there would be some people who wouldn't know who those characters are.

This "relevance to Nintendo" notion needs to go away and never come back.

Thanks to Nintendo licensing the Momotaro Dentetsu brand in Japan from Konami, the recent 3DS title sold over 300,000 copies in Japan. Plus, Valhalla, the devs behind Devil's Third, were in charge of this.

I REALLY hope Nintendo licenses Bomberman after this. Konami did their own game, but I want Nintendo to do one themselves and give it to ND Cube or Valhalla (or whoever they feel is best suited). ND Cube makes the most sense of they are full of ex-Hudson folks. I don't get why they picked Valhalla for Momotaro, unless ex-Hudson folks who worked on that series went there?

Either way, looks like Valhalla did a brilliant job on it!

Racjin would be a highly appropriate pick for Bomberman since they're available and worked on Bomberman games before, and worked with Nintendo on A.S.H. and the Mario & Sonic games.

Top Bottom