• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On Super Bomberman R, glimmers of hope for Konami, and Bomberman in Smash

11redder

I know we all want to say "#FucKonami," but frankly, when they fuck up, we lose. So many amazing franchises are missing in action — for my tastes, second only to Nintendo and Capcom. I'm rooting for their return.
Nail on the head.

Nothing would please me more than to see Konami, Capcom, et al returning to their former glory.

Harpoon

I REALLY hope Nintendo licenses Bomberman after this. Konami did their own game, but I want Nintendo to do one themselves and give it to ND Cube or Valhalla (or whoever they feel is best suited). ND Cube makes the most sense of they are full of ex-Hudson folks. I don't get why they picked Valhalla for Momotaro, unless ex-Hudson folks who worked on that series went there?

Either way, looks like Valhalla did a brilliant job on it!

Racjin would be a highly appropriate pick for Bomberman since they're available and worked on Bomberman games before, and worked with Nintendo on A.S.H. and the Mario & Sonic games.

If you want a developer made up of ex-Hudson workers, why not just continue with the Konami team that did this one? It was made up of Hudson employees who had worked on the Bomberman series.

If you want a developer made up of ex-Hudson workers, why not just continue with the Konami team that did this one? It was made up of Hudson employees who had worked on the Bomberman series.

I've seen the credits and I barely saw any IIRC. Really only like two-three from Konami even worked on it design-wise. It seemed to have been a 99.9% Hexadrive-made game.

night814

Better than nothing.

I just purchased this learning about the latest patches, looking forward to it and certainly hoping for more games from Konami that live up to their history

The Giant

Banned
Thanks to Nintendo licensing the Momotaro Dentetsu brand in Japan from Konami, the recent 3DS title sold over 300,000 copies in Japan. Plus, Valhalla, the devs behind Devil's Third, were in charge of this.

I can see that Nintendo and Valhalla will be working together for the long term. I presume that Itagaki's next game will be Switch exclusive.

I can see that Nintendo and Valhalla will be working together for the long term. I presume that Itagaki's next game will be Switch exclusive.

Maybe his, but Valhalla actually have a second team at Soleil and are making that Naruto to Boruto game with UE4 for PS4, XBO, and PC, but no Switch version.

Having played the 360, WiiWare and DSi games for several hundred hours a piece...yeah, no. R takes a mile-high dump on those, even more so post-patch. R actually feels like a proper Bomberman game with some depth. The only thing that could make it better would be a Jetters/Generations-style adventure mode...but that clearly wasn't what they were going for.

Each to his own. I think the muddled visuals singehandedly make it worse than the much more vibrant / contrasting presentation of Bomberman Ultra.

It not only looked more appealing (a personal opinion), but it also lead to better gameplay as players can all more easily detect what's happening at a glance.

Here's a comparison

6GVUJoP.png

The UI also has inherent issues given that it overlaps the screen. In this screenshot provided by Konami, there's a bomb at the top of the screen being partially masked by the games UI.

These subtle differences matter. They affect how and how quickly the gameplay conveys vital information to the players, and when done right that has significant potential to enhance the user experience. I feel that Ultra, an older, cheaper version of Bomberman, has significantly better gameplay because of these attributes.

Bomberman has always been my most wanted Smash character and always will be. Not only is he my most wanted, but I also believe he fits in the most when I think from an unbiased point of view.

Pac-Man and Wii Fit Trainer got a moveset ffs! I wrote up a quick and dirty part of a moveset for him a while back, might aswell post it here:

Up B - Pogo Stick Kangaroo
Side B - Fat Rolling Kangaroo
Down B - Magician Kangaroo, places down a line of bombs
B - holds a bomb, keep holding to change to spike bomb, and more to change to remote bomb and a bit more for dangerous bomb (scrolls like pacman items). Let go to throw. If remote bomb next B press detonates.

A - Punch (can punch bombs too)
Up A - Random power up. He either pulls speed up which makes him faster, bomb up which makes him be able to use more bombs as his B move, or fire up which makes his bombs powerful. There's a cooldown for this move and a 10% chance of a power down. Resets at stock loss.
Down A - Place Proximity bomb underground, it becomes hidden.
Side A - Kick. (Can kick bombs too)

neohwa

There is too many Konami in the gaming industry lately, I dunno if I want that.

But yeah put some of their characters in Smash would be great. Snake could be back too I guess.

Soph

It seems Nintendo might be the only choice for Konami going forward, the fallout with Sony due to Kojima and Microsoft being absent in Japan make the choice easy for them. Hoping for some classic revivals.

There's always mobile and pachinko machines ofcourse!

Budi

It seems Nintendo might be the only choice for Konami going forward, the fallout with Sony due to Kojima and Microsoft being absent in Japan make the choice easy for them. Hoping for some classic revivals.

There's always mobile and pachinko machines ofcourse!

What is this based on? I didn't know that Sony would have cut ties to Konami or condemned their actions in any way. Konami games have still appared on Playstation even after that Kojima debacle. What is this fallout between Konami and Sony? There even has been Konami developed exclusive game released Apr 28, 2016 for Playstation.

Jawmuncher

its still a valid notion, he says right there its a courtesy but its still something that exists and is taken into consideration

Even still, Snake has more going on with Nintendo than Cloud ever has. Since that's the angle everyone wants to play it. But then they change their goal post and go "well final fantasy is nintendo".

Neiteio

Hey everyone, OP here. To be clear, my No. 1 most wanted character in Smash Bros is Snake. I haven't wavered on that front. But ideally we'd get at least two Konami reps, being Snake and Bomberman. Both deserve to get in (or back in, in Snake's case)!

Each to his own. I think the muddled visuals singehandedly make it worse than the much more vibrant / contrasting presentation of Bomberman Ultra.

It not only looked more appealing (a personal opinion), but it also lead to better gameplay as players can all more easily detect what's happening at a glance.

Here's a comparison

6GVUJoP.png

The UI also has inherent issues given that it overlaps the screen. In this screenshot provided by Konami, there's a bomb at the top of the screen being partially masked by the games UI.

These subtle differences matter. They affect how and how quickly the gameplay conveys vital information to the players, and when done right that has significant potential to enhance the user experience. I feel that Ultra, an older, cheaper version of Bomberman, has significantly better gameplay because of these attributes.
Actually, in R you can fix the UI "blocking" the bomb by simply going into options and locking the camera. The reason why it's blocking the bomb in that screenshot is because the camera is unlocked and the screen temporarily panned over it (similar to how the camera pans and zooms in Smash Bros). Note how the screen isn't centered there; when you choose to lock the screen, it's centered in such a way that the HUD won't obscure anything.

As for the colors, I find R perfectly easy to read. Maybe even easier to read, since the characters, detonations and power-ups stand out better against the more earthy tones of the arenas in R, whereas in Ultra there's a lot more visual noise (i.e. bright yellow explosions against bright yellow floors, etc).

Cartho

I similar to the OP. Picked up a digital copy last night and having a lot of fun with it. Slick, fast, smooth frame rates and, at the end of the day, the gameplay is just so tried and tested.

Can't wait to get pissed with mates round. Next weekend I've got a few friends coming over. Going to get pizzas, a crate or two of beer, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Bomberman. What a time to be alive.

Jubenhimer

I lost a ton of respect for Konami the minnute they proclaimed "Fuck you, smartphones are the future!", treated their employees like garbage, neglected or destroyed their properties (Metal Gear Survive, Erotic Bombergirl) and cock-blocked and fired the one person who was keeping them afloat in their time of crisis (Kojima).

But with the success of Super Bomberman R, and their willingness to improve the game and support it post launch, maybe they might start pulling their heads out of their ass and make good games for once. I don't like to see any company fail, but Konami has made it really difficult to keep that stance. Here's hoping they take this as a wake up call.

Neiteio

Man, the World 1 theme is stuck in my head (especially around 35 seconds in).

The Story Mode is really challenging. I'm still trying to get past the first world without having to use continues (playing on Veteran).

Game is so much fun. Just wish I knew which multiplayer maps to prioritize for purchase. Saving up my gems!

Hey everyone, OP here. To be clear, my No. 1 most wanted character in Smash Bros is Snake. I haven't wavered on that front. But ideally we'd get at least two Konami reps, being Snake and Bomberman. Both deserve to get in (or back in, in Snake's case)!

Actually, in R you can fix the UI "blocking" the bomb by simply going into options and locking the camera. The reason why it's blocking the bomb in that screenshot is because the camera is unlocked and the screen temporarily panned over it (similar to how the camera pans and zooms in Smash Bros). Note how the screen isn't centered there; when you choose to lock the screen, it's centered in such a way that the HUD won't obscure anything.

As for the colors, I find R perfectly easy to read. Maybe even easier to read, since the characters, detonations and power-ups stand out better against the more earthy tones of the arenas in R, whereas in Ultra there's a lot more visual noise (i.e. bright yellow explosions against bright yellow floors, etc).

Comparing the differences in colour contrast between the two (via photoshop and http://www.msfw.com/Services/ContrastRatioCalculator) reveals that ultra is actually quite a bit more constrastive, at least for things like Bombs and their explosions. Though I will say that I think neither are ideal, to be honest.

As for the camera, they patched that then? I'd love to see the new camera. Either way the hud does waste quite a bit of space compared to the old, which makes even less sense on the portable.

Neiteio

Comparing the differences in colour contrast between the two (via photoshop and http://www.msfw.com/Services/ContrastRatioCalculator) reveals that ultra is actually quite a bit more constrastive, at least for things like Bombs and their explosions. Though I will say that I think neither are ideal, to be honest.

As for the camera, they patched that then? I'd love to see the new camera. Either way the hud does waste quite a bit of space compared to the old, which makes even less sense on the portable.
The HUD is fine, IMO. The maze fits perfectly within the boundaries of the TV screen (and thus handheld), while the icons for players 1-8 fill out the remaining space on the side and timer is at the top. And yeah, you can go into options and lock the camera so it doesn't pan or zoom. And in Story Mode, you can now shift the camera angle with L and R, allowing you to get the classic top-down view. Speaking of Story Mode, it has the boldest and most vibrant colors I've ever seen in the series. Planet Technopolis alone is a visual feast. :)

Raitaro

A much needed thread, this one. Thanks OP!

I was never big on the hate train (because we pretty much only heard Kojima's side of the story imo) but Bomberman R and its recent support to me seals the deal: I highly prefer a world of gaming where Konami continues to exist and is able and willing to release games based on their fantastic IP than a world where they were actually shunned and reduced to Pachinko manufactorers.

Now bring Castlevania, Goemon and Sparkster back on Swtich next please!

My wish:
Simon Belmont being the first Konami rep in Smash so that we have the Captain N team complete, followed by Bomberman and Snake.

Recently bought and played with a friend and honestly it's pretty great! I'm happy to have Bomberman back.

Also I'd love if he was in Smash. I'd even take having
stupid fucking
Snake if it meant Bomberman could get in too.

Top Bottom