• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once-hyped games that are now completely forgotten

.J.

Banned
L.O.L

Wow, are you for real?

Does this qualify as ban worthy troll post?

If so, I really want mods to take a look at this.

This is the new worst answer in this thread.

I'm pretty sure this is a joke post, and as much as I like Destiny, it's still pretty funny.

Also, it's been a while since I've been on GAF, but isn't backseat modding also bannable?

ttech10

XIII
State of Emergency
Skate
Black
Bulletstorm
Street Fighter x Tekken

Really with that one? Just a few months ago EA had to print more copies of Skate 3 to meet demand and many people are hoping for a Skate 4.

Sure the first one isn't talked about often, but I find it hard to believe people have completely forgotten the first game in a series when they're buying the third or wishing for a fourth.

Nestunt

Onimusha

9rCowGQl.png

Nope

still one of the most requested Remasters

Varvor

I'm pretty sure this is a joke post, and as much as I like Destiny, it's still pretty funny.

Also, it's been a while since I've been on GAF, but isn't backseat modding also bannable?

It was not a statement but a question on failing to read OP as well as making a trolling proposition. I don't see it as armchair/back seat modding.

Furthermore, considering recent surge of "love to hate" Destiny, where people take every opportunity to shit on this game in almost any and every thread regardless if subject matter applies, prevents it from being taken as a joke post. (Holy ran on sentence!)

Xbox was king in this department, many overhyped titles like Sudeki, Brute Force, Blinx, Breakdown, Amped, Full Spectrum Warrior, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Gunvalkyrie, Toejam & Earl III, MechAssault, Steel Battalion, Otogi, among other that no one remembers this day.

Pac-Man Vs.was one of Nintendo's biggest busts in GCN days as it hyped as one of the biggest bets to promote it's GCN-GBA cable connection. Few actually play it. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles was another one. It was the first and only Square Enix title for GCN after the reconciliation and had somewhat of an expectation due to this context, it crashed and burned.

But here's more:

The Getaway
007's EA games
Auto Modellista
Aggressive Inline
Dawn of Mana
Shadow of Rome
Rise to Honor
Rogue Galaxy
Dark Cloud 1
Jak series
Red Faction
Resident Evil 0
Winback
Turok series
PS2's Shinobi
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
Manhunt
Dead to Rights
Enter the Matrix
The Suffering

PBalfredo

ed4kawh.jpg

The Movies

Big E3 exposure, lots of press beforehand about its much talked about movie-making feature. But most user-created movies ended up either the same mix of action scenes repeated, or a bunch of talking heads. The gameplay itself was also required too much micro-management and never really caught on.

amnesiac

I would say The World is Not Enough on the N64 (not the crappy PS1 game).

It was hyped hugely at release, at least it was here in the UK, and very few people remember it now. It is a great game, one of the best FPS's on the N64 and had a fantastic multiplayer to rival Goldeneye.
Yeah it's a great game.

250px-Unrealchampionship2.jpg

It was already mentioned, but MAN I wish this game would have sold well or people had actually played it. I got it around release and played the shit out of it online and against bots. The gunplay combined well with the limited melee stuff and you could have the Mortal Kombat announcer and play as Raiden.

If only it hadn't come out in the one period in history when no one was making PC Ports. People would still be playing it today.

I loved this game, online play was great fun and felt fresh for it's time with a mix of 3rd person combat.

The story was a little simple and ended quick but it was more of a training tool then anything.

War%20Gods%20[U]%20[SLUS-00328]-front.jpg

I don't know about anybody else but for me personally, I was hyped beyond belief for this game. I thought it was going to top Mortal Kombat. My friends and I were all talking about it.

It came out, we played it for like a week then I forgot about it until I read this thread.

Synth

Maybe it was, but this thread has seen enough posts suggesting games like Watch Dogs and Titanfall, for me to assume the worst at this point. If it is a joke, it a pretty poor (and tired) one.

and I don't even like Destiny.

Mr. X

Really with that one? Just a few months ago EA had to print more copies of Skate 3 to meet demand and many people are hoping for a Skate 4.

Sure the first one isn't talked about often, but I find it hard to believe people have completely forgotten the first game in a series when they're buying the third or wishing for a fourth.

Really? I remember seeing the first one advertised a lot and previews everywhere, I didn't even know it had 2 more sequels. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places but I totally thought this genre fell off.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Xbox was king in this department, many overhyped titles like Sudeki, Brute Force, Blinx, Breakdown, Amped, Full Spectrum Warrior, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Gunvalkyrie, Toejam & Earl III, MechAssault, Steel Battalion, Otogi, among other that no one remembers this day.

Pac-Man Vs.was one of Nintendo's biggest busts in GCN days as it hyped as one of the biggest bets to promote it's GCN-GBA cable connection. Few actually play it. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles was another one. It was the first and only Square Enix title for GCN after the reconciliation and had somewhat of an expectation due to this context, it crashed and burned.

But here's more:

The Getaway
007's EA games
Auto Modellista
Aggressive Inline
Dawn of Mana
Shadow of Rome
Rise to Honor
Rogue Galaxy
Dark Cloud 1
Jak series
Red Faction
Resident Evil 0
Winback
Turok series
PS2's Shinobi
Manhunt
Dead to Rights
Enter the Matrix
The Suffering

These are all good answers.

Brute Force was a case of being in the right place at the right tine, I think. I have no other explanation for why this game was so hotly anticipated. I guess the Xbox had had a slow year up to then, so Microsoft's marketing dollars had to go somewhere, but the amount of "Halo killer" hyperbole around it was absolutely ridiculous. When it came out, most people found it to be a competent but unremarkable shooter, its longevity strangled by its lack of Xbox Live support. As such, the game's hype deflated about 5 minutes after its release. Believe it or not, it was (very) briefly the fastest-selling Xbox game of all time upon release. Now the only place you're likely to see it mentioned, anywhere, is in a thread like this. It has become almost the stock example of a flash-in-the-pan game. Ironically, this means that, like Millard Fillmore, it may actually be remembered for being forgotten.

I don't know why...but I've always wanted to play Brute Force...I still do. I'm sure it's crap but it's just one of those games that I wanted to play but never got to.

The Wii launch titles were hyped as fuck. This one I especially remember:

Red-steel-20060926031145442.jpg

The Wii controller was going to revolutionize gun play and sword fighting like you are actually there! Of course it didn't work at all.

Rembrandt

Banned

But here's more:

The Getaway
007's EA games
Auto Modellista
Aggressive Inline
Dawn of Mana
Shadow of Rome
Rise to Honor
Rogue Galaxy
Dark Cloud 1
Jak series
Red Faction
Resident Evil 0
Winback
Turok series
PS2's Shinobi
Manhunt
Dead to Rights
Enter the Matrix
The Suffering

Great post. I'm still wishing for a Shadow of Rome remake. I'll take the suffering 3, too.

Risible

256px-BrutalLegendCover.jpg

After playing demo: "This is going to be an amazing 3rd person action game!"
After finishing the first level of the finished game and moving on to the next: "WTF?"

krizzx

This was bragged about to death. It was hyped like it was supposed to be the second coming, and that it would revolutionize gaming as we know it. The killer app to end all killer apps. I'll never forget all that boasting.

ps3_home.jpg

That was hyped? I sure didn't see any.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
It was two years after launch. Got delayed a whole bunch. Yeah, that game fell flat on its face heavy.
Ya see it was a yr or so after US Japan before PS3 launched here in AU I think so it seemed close enough and ya I bought it & it was a dud 😂

krizzx

The scream of 256 players fighting at once. It was a complete load of baloney. the most you will ever see is 64 because of how massively divided the players are on the map. I literally tried to run to another section with other people. After 5+ minutes of straight running, I got sniped out in the open when I was almost there and sent all the way back to my starting base.

MAG_(video_game).jpg

Friction

Ill have to disagree with titanfall. Its getting a sequel definitely.

Mine would be elder scrolls online. It took years to develop, super expectations and suddenly dissapeared after release.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Tbh in AU they don't advertise like in US/Europe it seems 99.99999% of ads I see on TV are Xbone don't ever see PlayStation except when Destiny came out

Top Bottom