• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One dead, several injured in University of Texas campus stabbing

Meier

Crazy.. UT is being very cagey about information too. They sent out a campus wide email that said criminal activity with injury but gave no details.

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Authorities are responding to reports of a stabbing on the University of Texas at Austin campus Monday afternoon.

Austin police say they're assisting university police at 2101 Speedway, which is near Gregory Gym. Austin-Travis County EMS says they are responding to reports of multiple people stabbed. The agency says one person has died and three more were injured.

Austin police say they have one person in custody.

A KXAN intern says authorities have evacuated Gregory Gym as of 2:10 p.m. Students say McCombs School of Business is on lockdown.

http://kxan.com/2017/05/01/reports-of-multiple-people-stabbed-on-ut-campus/

This is the email they sent us:
Criminal Activity with Injury occurred on campus. Suspect in custody no additional immediate threat to campus. Please avoid the area of 21st and Speedway until further notice. Info to follow.

Zoe

Video of a guy being treated on the back in that article.

I saw another picture posted to Reddit of someone laid out on the ground... did not look good.

Goddamn. This is the end of the semester coming up, a stressed out student going violent? (Speculation on my part, no info has been released).

RIP to the victim and best wishes to the injured.

Meier

A little surreal since there were shots fired on campus the other day. I can hear a helicopter flying overhead -- must be a news crew. My office is up the road at 24th and Speedway.

Meier

Some photos from the scene including one of the victims' bloody back (not particularly graphic, but a word of warning).

https://twitter.com/halliegrossman1/status/859128752676143104

What appears to be the suspect:
C-w8OwQXYAEo77r.jpg

Stay safe anyone at UT right now. Sounds like the guy was caught very quickly but student chatter seems to indicate that three people are wounded and one is dead. Such a shitty situation.

guek

Banned
Despicable. Is this a campus that allows guns? Maybe if people started carrying swords to class.../s

Meier

Despicable. Is this a campus that allows guns? Maybe if people started carrying swords to class.../s

UT became a concealed carry campus in the fall. There were a lot of protests surrounding it at the time and in the lead up, but I think everything with Trump just sort of made people focus on other shit to protest about.

guek

Banned
UT became a concealed carry campus in the fall. There were a lot of protests surrounding it at the time and in the lead up, but I think everything with Trump just sort of made people focus on other shit to protest about.
Yeah that's what I thought. Thanks for the info.

I'm surprised the stabber ain't dead

Mimosa97

Mass stabbings these days have isis written all over them. I hope this isn't this case and that there are no more victims. This is sickening :(

Zoe

Yeah, rumors on the UT sub about people putting up signs that say "tuition pays for bomb" in those buildings just now.

I live in Texas and go to a community college here. Terrible, we are all shocked. I hope they fry the bastard responsible. My heart goes out to the victims.

There was a shooter today in Dallas that killed someone.

If you're referring to the one where they're currently conducting a manhunt for the shooter, the victim has not died. He is in critical condition and has coded several times apparently, but not dead yet.

There was a police shooting in Dallas as well where a 15 year old boy was killed.

Meier

Unless he just got injured during the chaos, one of the victims wasn't white

That could be the case -- they did say that there were two people stabbed and one assaulted.. he might have been the assault victim? More than likely that rumor is just BS though as we know rumors spread like wildfire in instances like this. UT is pretty terrible about informing us as well. It was 30 minutes after the stabbings that they sent out the emergency text.

Here is an eyewitness account: http://www.statesman.com/news/witness-describes-stabbing-campus/UqwDEZAaAacfEHNcuRWkFJ/

Hobbles

Wow, was sitting in the courthouse just south of campus. All of us in the jury pool heard the call come in over the baliffs radio. Just got released now and was able to check out what happened.

geestack

police just said that it was a student who was the perpetrator from the press conference

did not confirm any speculations about motive, said they basically do not why this happened

Snagret

Just got this email from an undergrad in our group:

Again, obviously can't vouch for the validity of this statement, but it seems to be spreading as a rumor.
I remember when this came out a week or so ago. Some people were spray painting areas on campus to protest University racism and rape culture. They posted a pretty powerful manifesto and encourged other people to do graffiti as a form of disruptive action. I wonder how those guys feel if this guy is a rogue actor inspired by their message. Their message basically danced around calling for outright violence.

Really sad situation all around. I'm starting college in Austin this summer, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little terrified of the concealed carry laws they just recently established (on the anniversary of a famous college shooting, no less).

Meier

Not much info in the press conference other than the fact he was a student as has been mentioned. The suspect's name is Kendrex J. White.

Meier

Austin Police Dept‏ @Austin_Police 11m ago
Per @UTAustinPolice, rumors of incident(s) near 24th/26th in West Campus were not credible. No ongoing threats at this time.

The Facebook livestream chat was full of people turning the story into a guns rights issue.

Didn't see the chat, but there are rumors that a concealed carry individual pulled a gun on the dude and that prevented him from running. UT PD wouldn't confirm anything -- hard to say if this will just remain an urban legend or what. I assume that was probably the catalyst for some of the debate.

KodaRuss

What a dispicable thing to do. I guess it was in Gregory or near it? One of the busiest parts of campus for sure.

Top Bottom