• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reported hostage standoff near the University of Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Live local coverage here.

Breaking on AP now.

ieHQPaO.jpg

AP said:
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — Police are responding to reports of a hostage standoff near the University of Alabama campus.

Campus officials sent an alert on twitter Tuesday saying police from the university and city received a report of a robbery and hostage situation at an Alabama Credit Union branch.

Officers have closed the area, and video and photos from area media show police in military-style vehicles and tactical gear. A police helicopter is overhead.

ABC6 said:
TUSCALOOSA, Ala — ABC 33/40 has learned there is currently a hostage situation at the Alabama Credit Union, located at 220 Paul W Bryant Drive in Tuscaloosa.

A man entered the credit union before it opened this morning and took hostages. Authorities are trying to make contact with him as of 9:45 a.m. Right now, traffic is being rerouted off of Paul W. Bryant Drive. The public is asked to shelter in place - and avoid this area. Nearby businesses are being evacuated.

Piano

Banned
Is it strange that I'm wondering if this is related to football?

Either way, I hope everyone makes it out safely.

Is it strange that I'm wondering if this is related to football?

Either way, I hope everyone makes it out safely.

Not strange at all considering what happened last night and how batshit insane some Alabama fans are.

Either way, I hope no lives are lost nor anyone hurt at the end of this.

Damn, hope they can talk this guy down before things nasty.

Really hoping he can be reasoned with before this turns into a firefight and endangers the hostages, bystanders and officers.

Stay safe Alabama GAF.

Any updates? Hoping the hostage negotiator has managed to defuse the situation.

Edit live coverage from ink in the OP says the guy surrendered without incident all hostages are confirmed safe, suspect has been arrested and is now in custody.

Thank goodness for that, was worried for a while that this go from hostage situation to an active shooter incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom