• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One dead, several injured in University of Texas campus stabbing

proto

Didn't see the chat, but there are rumors that a concealed carry individual pulled a gun on the dude and that prevented him from running. UT PD wouldn't confirm anything -- hard to say if this will just remain an urban legend or what. I assume that was probably the catalyst for some of the debate.

Yeah, I was surprised that the perp seemed unscathed in the arrest photos so it would make sense in that case. Just glad the guy is in jail now.

Sounds like anon almost. Its a vendetta against Greek life

34391655445_08d7f7bb4d_b.jpg

Jesus Christ I'm choking on the melodrama and self-importance here.

Austin Police Dept‏ @Austin_Police 11m ago
Per @UTAustinPolice, rumors of incident(s) near 24th/26th in West Campus were not credible. No ongoing threats at this time.

Didn't see the chat, but there are rumors that a concealed carry individual pulled a gun on the dude and that prevented him from running. UT PD wouldn't confirm anything -- hard to say if this will just remain an urban legend or what. I assume that was probably the catalyst for some of the debate.

There was also students here spreading info about a girl in West campus being told to remove her sweatshirt (to see if she had Greek letters) at knifepoint which obviously isn't true.

What the hell is going on around campus, it's crazy. I was over at the graffiti wall when most of this was going down. I live off 13th so this is all literally like 5 minutes from my apt. o_O

Is there *any* truth to the story of a concealed carry holder helping stop/chase off the attacker? The only "source" I've found is this which was linked from (bum bum bum) Info Wars:

No identity attributed to the guy--plus it also doesn't necessarily explain that the attacker fled *because* of the gun.

Zoe

Doesn't sound like it. All verified accounts say the attacker remained calm throughout the whole ordeal, and the police say they were there within 2 minutes of the first 911 call and were able to immediately apprehend him.

Thanks, that's what I had heard/read, too. My partner was just a building away, but usually eats lunch herself outside of Greg. Terrifying.

Meier

Doesn't sound like it. All verified accounts say the attacker remained calm throughout the whole ordeal, and the police say they were there within 2 minutes of the first 911 call and were able to immediately apprehend him.

Yeah, this article from KVUE said the cops told him to stop and he continued into Jester and then they asked him to do it again and then he set down the knife and laid down.

When police responded to the scene, the affidavit said they observed White walking toward the Jester Dormitory with a knife in his hand. An officer said he told White to drop the knife after he saw him raise it toward students who were also walking toward the dormitory. The officer said White ignored his commands before he walked into Jester. After giving commands a second time, the affidavit said White dropped the knife and lied down on the ground just inside the entrance to Jester.

No surprise but it does sound like the rumors of any sort of targeted attack were total BS so I apologize for even posting them as a possible theory.

Top Bottom