• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Direction splitting up in March

Status
Not open for further replies.
They won't even remember them 5 years from now. Soon-to-be teenage girls will be fawning over shiny new bands which will form while they are teenagers with shiny new boys.

Such is the boy band cycle.

Not really true.

There are still PLENTY of people who are aggressively nostalgic towards Backstreet Boys and NSYNC.

....not to mention that there was almost a decade between successful boy bands.

M3d10n

Not really true.

There are still PLENTY of people who are aggressively nostalgic towards Backstreet Boys and NSYNC.

There's always people who eternally hang up to their teenage years manufactured idols. I mean, there are even Menudo fans still lying around.

You have a point about boy bands specifically, but on a broader context the "teen music phenomenon" slot is never truly empty.

And the music gods rejoiced.

Rejoicing over this is pointless. The line will just move on.

Sucks when your favorite band breaks up. When I was a kid the Smashing Pumpkins broke up(the first time) and I was devastated thinking I'd never hear new music from them again or get to see them in concert. If Radiohead ever breaks up I'll probably cry for a week. There are some talented guys in this group and hopefully they are doing what makes them happy. I've never been a fan of their music or any pop music really but I feel for the fans.

kirby_fox

Banned
Odd that they picked a month to do it. Out of all the boy bands from the last few years, they could actually sing and make catchy songs for the radio. Comparably, they were probably the best of the boy bands of this day and age. And I don't see them doing so well solo, there's no Timberlake in this group.

It'll be more like Backstreet Boys, where they will eventually come back to make an album but no one will really care when they do.

Are they basically NKTB, Backstreet Boys, N-SYNC? I've never heard any of their music, but the term Boy Band has me thinking about those groups.

EDIT:

Yeah, I was thinking about this! I remember N-SYNC and Backstreet Boys and I thought that stuff was dead for good until I heard about this crew.

Dad. where'd you find a computer?

I'm 26, so I would have been about 21 when this group came around. Not a single one of my friends, girl or guy, listens to this group. They fall under the same banner as Justin Bieber, so when they were coming up we just thought of it as tween garbage.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
the fact somebody actually answered my joke with a genuine answer doesn't surprise me with pop music lol

All I know is that they disappeared from the face of pop culture since like.. what was last in disney? I think it was hannah montana then jonas brothers but for the life of me I can't recall
Don't worry, I knew you were joking.

That being said, serious answer was serious. I've come to enjoy the guy. He's talented – and for more than the pop music you're laughing at.

Right? Shit like this really makes me fucking wish I wasn't apart of this generation. Good riddance, 1D.

Music gods, accept their noble sacrifice and give us back Kurt Cobain!

image.php

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Odd that they picked a month to do it. Out of all the boy bands from the last few years, they could actually sing and make catchy songs for the radio. Comparably, they were probably the best of the boy bands of this day and age. And I don't see them doing so well solo, there's no Timberlake in this group.

It'll be more like Backstreet Boys, where they will eventually come back to make an album but no one will really care when they do.

what if it was like Take That, where they make a comeback and sell millions of copies

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
They probably just wanna push Harry Styles' solo career. I guarantee he's gonna have a good bash at it.

Joni

I'm 26, so I would have been about 21 when this group came around. Not a single one of my friends, girl or guy, listens to this group. They fall under the same banner as Justin Bieber, so when they were coming up we just thought of it as tween garbage.
Guess which group of the population still actually buys songs.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
That's too bad but, speaking of 'tween music, what happened to Justin Bieber? I know he's still around but it seems like the only musical thing he's done in the past three years is feature on other people's songs or release remixes of his old songs. What the eff, Bieber?

That's too bad but, speaking of 'tween music, what happened to Justin Bieber? I know he's still around but it seems like the only musical thing he's done in the past three years is feature on other people's songs or release remixes of his old songs. What the eff, Bieber?

I think that's him attempting to mature. He's (his advisors) are probably waiting for the right stuff to come along/come together and he'll be doing totally 'new' shit. He grew up

Maximus.

Just don't learn from the past mistakes of boy bands? Oh well they had their success and who knows how the future will treat them. Not a fan at all, just interesting to see the same thing kind of play out again in another boy band.

Kurita

It was only a matter of time. Boy bands don't stay together forever.
Zayne saw the writing on the wall.

Heh, Japanese boy bands kinda last forever. SMAP have been active since 1988 and are still one of the most popular acts over there. Same for Arashi, currently the highest selling boy band in Japan, their debut was in 1999.

Right? Shit like this really makes me fucking wish I wasn't apart of this generation. Good riddance, 1D.

Music gods, accept their noble sacrifice and give us back Kurt Cobain!

Looks like a Youtube comment
"I'm 12 and only listen to The Beatles and Queen, like if you love REAL music" :lol
Can't say I even like One Direction but that's pretty childish...

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
have to admit i do quite enjoy their songs! they are just really catchy and you can't really avoid them especially when your car's radio is fucked and only picks up a few (top 40) stations.

don't really care that they are splitting up though. one of their singers just left and they've been going pretty much since whatever year xfactor they were on. maybe 5 years ago and they've got 5 albums already or the 5th one is coming out soon. maybe a break is good for them as a band.

probably reunite in 2017/2018 with a 6th album that takes influence from each members solo projects. they'll be bigger than ever i expect. maybe they'll pull of a Take That but just not have such a long break (9 years) as them.

This seems to be their most popular song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJO3ROT-A4E

If you haven't heard that at least once then you must really not listen to anything mainstream whatsoever or have been living under a rock the last 4-5 years.

I'm 28, never heard one of their songs. Don't even tell me to go listen to one, I will blow your mind with my psychic powers and tell you in my small little opinion, it sounds like melodic garbage.

I listen to mainstream radio stations every day (alternative station, classic rock station, our rock station, our mix station, and our indie station) and as long as I don't turn it to the pop station (which would have to be done manually, of course), none of my mainstream stations will play anything like one direction. I also don't live under a rock. I also don't watch TV, which used to be weird but now I don't think so.

So to me it's incorrect to say that the only way you wouldn't know one direction is if you don't do mainstream anything or you live under a rock. I also live in a house with a 15 year old girl, 18 year old boy, 24 year old girl and then some adults. Kids are over all the time by the droves because this is where the 18 yr old and 24 yr old have band practice, church gatherings weekly, and lots of friends over. We get exposed to a lot of stuff via each other. But never anything like one direction comes across out in the open. Pop musics just not big with my family or friends. And I'm thankful for that

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If their producers are smart they'll move them in the direction of the second dimension.

2D idols never die.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I think it's kind of weird to announce you'll be splitting up, but not now, later in the near future.

I thought the same at first but then figured it is probably so they can milk their fan base for all they're worth by raising ticket prices. Final Tour Ever! ticket prices are going to be much higher than they would be if they hadn't announced this now.

I think that's him attempting to mature. He's (his advisors) are probably waiting for the right stuff to come along/come together and he'll be doing totally 'new' shit. He grew up

He's probably trying to be Justin Timberlake, right? I think Justin Timberlake wrote more of his own songs though.

We still got 5 seconds till Summer FOOLS!

I was just about to say that. Time will come when everyone here will once again long for the days of One Direction when 5SOS invades their local top 40. I'd take a million bands like 1D over 5SOS. Their music is arguably more nerve-racking in every way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom