• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece: Kaizoku Musou Announced (PS3, Namco Bandai X Tecmo Koei)

Mikey Jr. said:
Good luck.

Significant time investment.

Currently there are 512 episodes.

20 minutes each episode roughly. Take out some filler here and there.

About 160 hours you would have to watch to catch up.

I skip the filler. That reminds me I need to catch up on this show. Last time I watched was when that skeleton guy joined the crew.

survivor

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
I got about 20 eps in and it hit me just how long it would take to watch the whole thing + the movies. I was enjoying it, but then I started thinking about stuff like the Ghost In The Shell series' which I also haven't seen that I could finish in a fraction of the time. Ugh 512 eps...
My friend did this and it took him about a week. There is about what, 80 filler episodes? Plus some of the episodes get padded with filler moments so you can easily skip those. It will still take a long time, but you can make it go by much faster

Also don't bother with the movies. Maybe just one or two of them are worth watching.

If you're down, the anime of One Piece is fine but I would honestly recommend the manga over it at this point. Easier to catch-up on and filler-free (though One Piece filler is nowhere near as bad and long as the filler in other shounen anime).

One Piece anime = I enjoy it for the most part. Quality is pretty stable.

One Piece manga = easily my favorite manga of all-time. Top tier level shounen.

LiK

Lunar15 said:
Give or take some filler episodes, yeah.

Although the manga is good too, if you want to go quicker. I still prefer the anime, if just for the really really good music.

i prefer the anime because the fights are so damn epic. manga just doesn't compare.

Bebpo

Banned
I think the show is good but it has very slow pacing at times. I tried to get back on during impel down but the pacing just killed me.

The manga otoh has awesome pacing outside of Skypiea; although when you catch up the pacing becomes torture having to wait a week between every 20 pages :p

Big One

Banned
survivor said:
Also don't bother with the movies. Maybe just one or two of them are worth watching.
Completely disagree. Movie 4, 6, 9, and 10 are genuinely worth watching imo and pretty good.

The others are whatever.

I would love to see One Piece games branching out to movie territory someday ala DBZ if we eventually run out of characters.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Teknopathetic said:
If you don't know what a word is but everyone else seems to, you should probably just google it instead of complaining. You're obviously the odd one out.

PEOPLE KEEP USING THE ACRONYM GTA BUT I DUNNO WHAT IT MEANS.
Precisely. We have the internet for this.

TenshiOni said:
If you're down, the anime of One Piece is fine but I would honestly recommend the manga over it at this point. Easier to catch-up on and filler-free (though One Piece filler is nowhere near as bad and long as the filler in other shounen anime).

I think the anime is awesome. The attacks are just too epic looking to stick to the manga, and at this rate if someone truly has gotten into one piece then they can easily watch 1-5 episodes a day to catch up on before this game comes out. Not like the manga arc of late is anything to write home about.

Anth0ny

The screens appear to have some nice cell shading. The scan is such a tease, hopefully we get a blowout at TGS.

*MAJOR ONE PIECE SPOILERS AHEAD DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE NOT CAUGHT UP WITH THE MANGA*

We have an image of time skip Luffy. If this takes place after the time skip, I guess we won't be able to play as Whitebeard or Ace.

Knowing Oda, the big players will all have new designs too. No idea when this game is released, but I can't see the war lords being in there unless Oda has revealed them in the manga before hand. But I'm sure this won't be a problem, as the current arc is coming to a close and we'll probably get our first glimpse of the rest of the world after the time skip

Honestly, if the game is well done, all I really want to play as is Luffy, Zoro and Sanji.

AND ENEL.

"Precisely. We have the internet for this."

He spent more typing whining that no one explained what it was than it would've taken to find out what it means on his own.

ctrl+t
www.google.com
musou

You don't even have to click search anymore, they do it automagically. Come the fuck on.

Big One said:
Completely disagree. Movie 4, 6, 9, and 10 are genuinely worth watching imo and pretty good.

The others are whatever.
Yeah, I can't comment on the quality of 9 (was that the re-do of Drum Island?) but movies 4, 6, and 10 are fucking fantastic. Must see films for One Piece fans.

Reknoc

Well the scan confirms I definitely want to use Nami and Chopper.

Edit: Oh, well while we're listing the good movies; Strong World is the obvious one to go for but I also really enjoyed the one with the rather odd(er) artstyle and the more, ehm, boing boing one ended up being pretty decent.

Anth0ny said:
The screens appear to have some nice cell shading. The scan is such a tease, hopefully we get a blowout at TGS.

*MAJOR ONE PIECE SPOILERS AHEAD DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE NOT CAUGHT UP WITH THE MANGA*

We have an image of time skip Luffy. If this takes place after the time skip, I guess we won't be able to play as Whitebeard or Ace.

Knowing Oda, the big players will all have new designs too. No idea when this game is released, but I can't see the war lords being in there unless Oda has revealed them in the manga before hand. But I'm sure this won't be a problem, as the current arc is coming to a close and we'll probably get our first glimpse of the rest of the world after the time skip

Honestly, if the game is well done, all I really want to play as is Luffy, Zoro and Sanji.

AND ENEL.

They can always give us a mission mode to play as those characters. I hope.

survivor said:
One Piece movie 6 is fantastic. Heck, you don't even need to know a modicum of information about One Piece to enjoy it fully.

Big One

Banned
survivor said:
Well there you go Net_Wrecker. Watch 4, 6, 10 and maybe 2/9 if you have time
Well personally I like movie 2 also, but it isn't for everyone. I would only suggest movie 2 if you want to see Sanji be extremely badass.

Mikey Jr.

Don't avoid all the filler though.

g8 was good.

What else was good? Davy Back? I can't remember if that was good or not.

survivor

Banned
QuiteWhittle said:
One Piece movie 6 is fantastic. Heck, you don't even need to know a modicum of information about One Piece to enjoy it fully.
That one is on my to watch list after I learned that the director is Mamoru Hosoda

Reknoc

Mikey Jr. said:
Don't avoid all the filler though.

g8 was good.

What else was good? Davy Back? I can't remember if that was good or not.

Davy Back was only half filler and the filler events weren't that good.

Mikey Jr.

Teknopathetic said:
"Precisely. We have the internet for this."

He spent more typing whining that no one explained what it was than it would've taken to find out what it means on his own.

ctrl+t
www.google.com
musou

You don't even have to click search anymore, they do it automagically. Come the fuck on.

I typed in One Piece musou and got nothing. Jesus.

Thanks for the google tip though.

LiK

who cares if they're filler. if they suck, skip away. if you happen to like them, they're not 100% terrible.

Xater

NO screenshots yet? I am totally pumped for this. I stopped readin the One Piece manga by the 20th book I think but I can totally get behind a Musou game in this universe. Should be fun.

Mikey Jr. said:
Good luck.

Significant time investment.

Currently there are 512 episodes.

20 minutes each episode roughly. Take out some filler here and there.

About 160 hours you would have to watch to catch up.

There's also a sizable amount of episodes with 5 minute or more recaps. Let's say there's 100 or so, which shaves off 500 minutes right there. Subtract about 60 episodes of filler and it's only around 140 hours.

Just think of it as a game of Dragon Quest 7 or something. I would say it's a better time investment than that.

Press X to gomu gomu no bitches!!!!

brookravegz9.gif

usopp-laugh2.gif

LaneDS

How's it look in the scan?

Pretty amped for this. Love One Piece but feel that it's always gotten the short end of the stick as far as games go (Naruto gets all the love... a CC2 developed OP game would be quite something to look at).

Bebpo

Banned
LaneDS said:

Pretty amped for this. Love One Piece but feel that it's always gotten the short end of the stick as far as games go (Naruto gets all the love... a CC2 developed OP game would be quite something to look at).

Well, the cell-shading in Gundam Musou 3 is awesome, so Omega Force can probably do the visuals justice and gameplay-wise Musou games >> CC2's Naruto games.

Anth0ny

Dedication Through Light said:
They can always give us a mission mode to play as those characters. I hope.

Yeah, that would be good.

But at the same time, some characters are just overpowered as fuck. I can see ways to nerf guys like the Admirals, Blackbeard, Enel... but what about Whitebeard? Kuma? Not sure how you can nerf those guys devil fruits, short of taking them away in gameplay altogether.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I bet this will only include the Straw Hats as playable characters, and, like... Buggy as an unlockable or something.

LiK said:
i prefer the anime because the fights are so damn epic. manga just doesn't compare.

Well, you need to see the show in anime form to experience the most satisfying punch in anime history

bellamy2.gif

They could make this scene alone the only part of this game, an infinitely replayable QTE session. Instantly makes it the best musou game ever.

Mikey Jr.

LaneDS said:

I only saw Luffy on the scan.

The Luffy on the scan though was the
Timeskip
Luffy.

ACESmkII said:
512 episodes....Wow!

I'm down though. What is the best way to get started? DVD, Netflix, Hulu?

Funimation's website has a lot of episodes. I don't know if there's still a big gap though. Either way, they definitely have up to like episode 200 and then current stuff starting at 400 or so.

Edit: Yep, apparently it has all of them.

Bebpo

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Yeah, that would be good.

But at the same time, some characters are just overpowered as fuck. I can see ways to nerf guys like the Admirals, Blackbeard, Enel... but what about Whitebeard? Kuma? Not sure how you can nerf those guys devil fruits, short of taking them away in gameplay altogether.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I bet this will only include the Straw Hats as playable characters, and, like... Buggy as an unlockable or something.

I don't think realistic match-up comparisons are a priority in musou games :p They'll just be attacks. Really strong ones will be musou attacks, others will be standard combo enders.

It's more about the fun of just beating hundreds down as Whitebeard and tearing reality apart in a musou attack knocking out 50 at a time.

FreeMufasa

If you're thinking of watching One Piece now, i'd probably skip out on this thread. A lot of these gifs are ruining epic moments and it'll likely get more frequent from here.

Atleast for me anyway. Seeing them for the first time was amazing.
referring to Bellamy and the Celest

ACESmkII said:
512 episodes....Wow!

I'm down though. What is the best way to get started? DVD, Netflix, Hulu?

you can just read the manga i used to like the anime allot but the it start to having allot filler and recaps at the begging of eps.

Man this game is going to be awesome .

Big One

Banned
The manga really is the best way to get into the series. Watch the anime afterwards if you want, but the manga is essential to One Piece and is One Piece in it's rawest, purist form.

Then just watch the good movies. Strong World, movie 10, is canon to the manga so that's a good start.

Ferrio

Banned
gundamkyoukai said:
you can just read the manga i used to like the anime allot but the it start to having allot filler and recaps at the begging of eps.

Man this game is going to be awesome .

Anime > Manga. Just because you won't go through it as fast! Just find out what arcs are filler and skip!

survivor

Banned
Ferrio said:
Anime > Manga. Just because you won't go through it as fast! Just find out what arcs are filler and skip!
It's not a matter of taking long time, it's just that the pacing of the episodes is shit. So much time is wasted on reaction shots and environment shots that it ruins the flow of the fights.

If someone can edit out the battle scenes to only the actual fight scenes, then it would be amazing. That's why I generally watch muted AMV videos of my favourite One Piece fights.

LaneDS

Bebpo said:
Well, the cell-shading in Gundam Musou 3 is awesome, so Omega Force can probably do the visuals justice and gameplay-wise Musou games >> CC2's Naruto games.

I agree on the gameplay part, but it's hard to see those Naruto games in action and not hope for a OP game that matches the visuals (maybe with some AA slathered on).

Definitely psyched to see the full reveal in a few days. Oh, and if this comes stateside I hope the publisher (Namco presumably) is smart enough to offer the original voicework as an option. With stuff like this it's impossible to get so accustomed to certain voices and suffer through a dubbed version.

The cell shading in the scan looks nice.

I can't believe this is actually happening haha. Imagine if they gave you chapters from the beginning of the series to now, that would awesome. At least, knowing Koei, we'll most likely get DLC for levels based around some of the biggest moments in the series if they aren't on the disc.

ACESmkII

Yeah...Bailing out of this thread now so I don't get spoiled. I'll start watching when I get home in a few.

I want to be done by the time this comes out.

Thanks peeps.

LaneDS said:
I agree on the gameplay part, but it's hard to see those Naruto games in action and not hope for a OP game that matches the visuals (maybe with some AA slathered on).

Definitely psyched to see the full reveal in a few days. Oh, and if this comes stateside I hope the publisher (Namco presumably) is smart enough to offer the original voicework as an option. With stuff like this it's impossible to get so accustomed to certain voices and suffer through a dubbed version.

We got Japanese voices in DW Gundam 3 so hopefully IF it ever came here, they'd include that or release it as a download.

Importing Day 1.

Ferrio

Banned
ACESmkII said:
Yeah...Bailing out of this thread now so I don't get spoiled. I'll start watching when I get home in a few.

I want to be done by the time this comes out.

Thanks peeps.

Just keep in mind, it doesn't start getting good until around eps 40 or so. Until then it's just kinda "meh".

Top Bottom