• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece: Kaizoku Musou Announced (PS3, Namco Bandai X Tecmo Koei)

udivision

Big One said:
Have you even read One Piece?

How the fuck is the setting or storyline ever going to make sense unless it was a completed 1000+ chapters?

I'm pretty positive these comments are coming from non-readers.
Um... I wasn't specifically talking about One Piece, just long shounen in general. I've read bits and pieces though, and it seems like the most consistent of the Long Shounen shows.

Nix

Banned
YES! Please be like unlimited cruise except better in all ways imaginable. God, my heart just stopped, started, and then arrested itself.

Even if there isn't a chance it gets localized in NA, as long as it goes to EU, I'm all good!

Dr.Hadji

Bebpo said:
Not to mention the fight with Crocodile was ridiculously good and thought out. The idea of using BLOOD as a liquid to harden sand was an incredibly badass way to finish that fight.

True that. Much better than Luffy vs Lucci where Luffy makes up techs on the spot and takes ultimate Rokushiki attacks over and over and over........ But he keeps getting back up. Some people think that's cool, I call it cheating.

udivision

Dr.Hadji said:
True that. Much better than Luffy vs Lucci where Luffy makes up techs on the spot and takes ultimate Rokushiki attacks over and over and over........ But he keeps getting back up. Some people think that's cool, I call it cheating.
I thought Lucci was the cheetah.

Pein

Banned
crimzonflame said:
Is One Piece more popular than Gundam and Naruto in Japan?
Its more popular then naruto and I'm not sure about gundam but one piece is huge in japan regardless.

andymcc

Banned
crimzonflame said:
Is One Piece more popular than Gundam and Naruto in Japan?

I can't really think of an equivalent for just how popular op is in japan. it's not just something that's popular with a specific niche (gundam) nor is it relegated to teens (naruto). it transcends the popularity of pretty much all manga/anime series that isn't Dragon Ball.

Pein

Banned
andymcc said:
I can't really think of an equivalent for just how popular op is in japan. it's not just something that's popular with a specific niche (gundam) nor is it relegated to teens (naruto). it transcends the popularity of pretty much all manga/anime series that isn't Dragon Ball.
doraemon?

I really wish I were in to One Piece so I could be excited. I really dig the art, but I don't care for it or Musou. Still glad its coming for the ones who love it though. We need more projects like this.

abstract alien said:
I really wish I were in to One Piece so I could be excited. I really dig the art, but I don't care for it or Musou. Still glad its coming for the ones who love it though. We need more projects like this.

Ninja Turtles Musou

Dr.Hadji

andymcc said:

Whats usually attributed to OP's lack of popularity in the West. Why Bleach and Naruto are much more popular over here.

andymcc

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:
Whats usually attributed to OP's lack of popularity in the West. Why Bleach and Naruto are much more popular over here.

i'm not an expert on OP but the 4Kids massacre of the show probably had something to do with it.

tumblr_lnhbztRGWo1qzboxgo1_500.jpg

Dr.Hadji said:

Fair amount of reason , 4kids , art style , how long it is .
Still lets not go over this again .

andymcc said:

OP has eclipsed Dragon Ball in popularity a few years ago.

gundamkyoukai said:
Fair amount of reason , 4kids , art style , how long it is .
Still lets not go over this again .

Well it is fortunately growing in popularity in Europe at least. One Piece just needs more action and a chance to be broadcast on major cable stations here and I imagine it could become popular, or get a game on a popular system to boost brand awareness like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm did for Naruto.

andymcc

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:

it's been a few years since i was in Japan. i don't really follow manga/TV viewership charts, i just know that DB and OP merchandise was everywhere. makes sense that a series that is not only significantly longer but also more consistent would become more popular.

Dedication Through Light said:
One Piece just needs more action

hmmmmm

We should have a slight chance of a us release I mean funimation is still releasing the series right? And if Hokuto no Ken got a release in NA I mean One Piece shouldn't have a problem, and there's always the Niche publishers.

matt360

This news made my day. Samurai Warriors was the last Musou game I played, but this will be day 1 for me.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
NightHawk17 said:
We should have a slight chance of a us release I mean funimation is still releasing the series right? And if Hokuto no Ken got a release in NA I mean One Piece shouldn't have a problem, and there's always the Niche publishers.
Funimation stopped releasing episodes at 205 (note that this is ONE episode BEFORE the end of a filler arc, so it must be some kind of rights issue, otherwise you would never end there). They have more past that subbed on their online portals, but in terms of official bilingual release, it ends at 205, with no indication of continuing at this time.

Infinite Justice said:
i will always place that at the forefront.

that shit was fucking disgraceful. :/

Thankfully I never had to go through that. I just started watching them with subs like 2 years ago. I think I tried to watch one that was dubbed, and as soon as I heard Luffy, I shut it off. Now, I don't even know how I watched DBZ in English :\.

smurfx

get some go again
so impel down and marine ford arc will be represented in the game? those two arcs had plenty of luffy vs a bunch of enemies.

survivor

Banned
smurfx said:
so impel down and marine ford arc will be represented in the game? those two arcs had plenty of luffy vs a bunch of enemies.
They have to be since the scan released indicates that the game will feature Luffy after these events

andymcc

Banned
udivision said:
The pacing in the show is atrocious. But that's rectified by reading it, I guess.
But then you lose the occasional awesome fight scenes...

sure, i agree. though i'm not familiar with naruto, doesn't the anime have the same issues in terms of pacing?

survivor

Banned
andymcc said:
sure, i agree. though i'm not familiar with naruto, doesn't the anime have the same issues in terms of pacing?
Naruto's problems is that there are no fights. It's just bunch of characters talking about peace and love and friendship.

But you are right, all shounen anime adaptations have huge pacing problems in fights

survivor said:
Naruto's problems is that there are no fights. It's just bunch of characters talking about peace and love and friendship.

But you are right, all shounen anime adaptations have huge pacing problems in fights
I haven't watched One Piece in a while so I don't know if its in the same boat, but Naruto and Bleach suffer from way too many flashbacks, which I'd say contributes to the poor pacing.

crimzonflame said:
Ninja Turtles Musou
...wow. Imagine the Foot Clan ocean coming toward you and a few friends. Now this right here...this shit...I would pay top fucking dollar for. The battle in Dimension X would be worth it alone.

Maddness

I was just talking to a couple friends of mine last night how I'd like to get the rights to make an MMO based on One Piece. I don't think there would be a more perfect universe for that type of gameplay.

Think about it. There's the perfect character creator and power list. Just make up a bunch of devil fruit powers and BAM. Now everyone's power in the game can be explained.

Build your ship and crew members with other players Skies of Arcadia style and then Cruise the mother fucking Grand Line.

Game writes itself. The only thing it's missing is meat.

Takao

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:

Eh, that's really neglible. We don't have merchandise sales from the 80s and 90s to compare, but we do have manga sales (which OP did eclipse Dragon Ball - but OP has more volumes), TV ratings (which aren't even a comparsion - Dragon Ball/Z usually pulled in at least 2x One Piece's stuff with even GT doing better than OP), and Shonen Jump circulation (was at the highest point when DB was around).

Infinite Justice said:
i will always place that at the forefront.

that shit was fucking disgraceful. :/

Kids watched Dragon Ball Z edited to hell with shitty puns, bad music, and a script that's near parody levels. Kids didn't watch One Piece. I don't think it was because of 4Kids.

Nix

Banned
Maddness said:
I was just talking to a couple friends of mine last night how I'd like to get the rights to make an MMO based on One Piece. I don't think there would be a more perfect universe for that type of gameplay.

Think about it. There's the perfect character creator and power list. Just make up a bunch of devil fruit powers and BAM. Now everyone's power in the game can be explained.

Build your ship and crew members with other players Skies of Arcadia style and then Cruise the mother fucking Grand Line.

Game writes itself. The only thing it's missing is meat.
Fuck no. Do you know how broken that shit would be, unless powers were randomly generated? Do you really think anyone is going to want to say, "oh, okay, I'm just going to be some brownbeard fodder character, and get creamed every war". No one in their right mind is going to go for that. All we can wish for is Multi-player OP games in the future.

udivision

Takao said:
Kids watched Dragon Ball Z edited to hell with shitty puns, bad music, and a script that's near parody levels. Kids didn't watch One Piece. I don't think it was because of 4Kids.

I never thought of it that way...
I think the premise didn't help.

Maddness

Nix said:
Fuck no. Do you know how broken that shit would be, unless powers were randomly generated? Do you really think anyone is going to want to say, "oh, okay, I'm just going to be some brownbeard fodder character, and get creamed every war". No one in their right mind is going to go for that. All we can wish for is Multi-player OP games in the future.

I don't think it would be that bad. I mean sure if you gave people the ability to choose any power they wanted it would never work out. But if you make preset Devil Fruit powers for them to choose from, you can add a sense of balance. The key would be the whole pirate ship, touring the Grand Line, running into characters from the series, fighting them, etc. Exploring places and just generally being a pirate on the water would be epic in itself. Plus being able to make a crew with other players and they all fill a role. Doctor type, cook type, fighter type, navigator type, etc.

andymcc

Banned
Takao said:

i think it fared better than the original dragon ball, which would be a better comparison than OP to DBZ.

Takao said:
Eh, that's really neglible. We don't have merchandise sales from the 80s and 90s to compare, but we do have manga sales (which OP did eclipse Dragon Ball - but OP has more volumes), TV ratings (which aren't even a comparsion - Dragon Ball/Z usually pulled in at least 2x One Piece's stuff with even GT doing better than OP), and Shonen Jump circulation (was at the highest point when DB was around).

OP might have more vols but DBZ had way many more years on the market and OP still out sold it .
Also when they show Dragon Ball Z Kai , OP also had better ratings.
So right now OP is the most popular thing in Japan and yes it pass dragon ball.

Takao said:

DBZ edits was nothing compare to OP , taking out of arcs , changing people skin color , replacing weapons etc etc .
DBZ also showed on a much better station for anime than OP did .

Still OP was never going to be super popular but 4kids version kill any chance it had of just get okay sales.

MetatronM said:
Funimation stopped releasing episodes at 205 (note that this is ONE episode BEFORE the end of a filler arc, so it must be some kind of rights issue, otherwise you would never end there). They have more past that subbed on their online portals, but in terms of official bilingual release, it ends at 205, with no indication of continuing at this time.
Damn One Piece seems to be cursed in NA:(

Sucks since this series deserves SO MUCH more than it's gotten

Takao

Banned
andymcc said:
i think it fared better than the original dragon ball, which would be a better comparison than OP to DBZ.

Well, all of Dragon Ball actually aired in Canada, the UK (with different dubs), the US, and around the world. One Piece is dead in basically every English speaking markets (outside of Australia but I don't know if they still air One Piece anymore) and while thematically One Piece may have more in common with Dragon Ball, DB didn't have a severely edited, poor translation, music replaced dub. It had a competently edited generally genuine translation with the Japanese music. DBZ on the otherhand had all of that.

gundamkyoukai said:
OP might have more vols but DBZ had way many more years on the market and OP still out sold it .
Also when they show Dragon Ball Z Kai , OP also had better ratings.
So right now OP is the most popular thing in Japan and yes it pass dragon ball.

Not many manga series sell well after their anime productions, and manga serialization ends. I doubt you'll see One Piece on the charts long after the final volume is published outside of something like a Kanzeban release.

As for Kai, well thank you for bringing that up. Kai's a complete lazy piece of trash production. It recycles footage from 1989, despite the fact that the footage it's using still airs on Japanese TV (as Dragon Ball, Z, and GT air on the cable and satelite networks still). It was the same story the Japanese public knew, with the same animation that they already owned via the incredibly popular Dragon Box releases. The fact that it always battled One Piece (and sometimes succeeded) it in ratings for #1 Shonen series should still tell you the franchise is incredibly popular when the definition of a rehash still does as well as it did.

I gave you 2 out of the 3 possible popularity comparisons, and Dragon Ball wins 2 of them cleanly via circulation, and ratings (Dragon Ball once had a near 30% audience share in Japan. One Piece and Kai did 8-10%). Saying OP is more popular than Dragon Ball in its heyday isn't cut and dry.

gundamkyoukai said:
DBZ edits was nothing compare to OP , taking out of arcs , changing people skin color , replacing weapons etc etc .
DBZ also showed on a much better station for anime than OP did .

Still OP was never going to be super popular but 4kids version kill any chance it had of just get okay sales.

Kids aren't going to know about about the edits, and taking out arcs. Just like they didn't know 76 episodes of Dragon Ball Z became 52 in the English dub. Just like they didn't know HFIL (Home For Infinite Loser), Next Dimension, "I can see their parachutes, they'll be fine" were all weak attempts at censorship.

Also, One Piece aired on Cartoon Network ....

As for skin changes, I guess you missed this fiasco last year (Dragon Ball Kai is the most watched anime series outside of maybe Pokemon and Beyblade in the US despite not airing on CN btw):

370841-blue_popo.jpg

Takao said:

While it may not have the expolsive start of a DBZ i think with what they did to the dub alienated the fans who would buy it since they saw it already and then it would grow.

so not only kids did not care as much, they lost the other fans as well.

at least imo.

onken

Awesome. I loved the Fist of the North Star game (fuck the haterz) and I will buy the shit out of this.

andymcc

Banned
Takao said:
Well, all of Dragon Ball actually aired in Canada, the UK (with different dubs), the US, and around the world. One Piece is dead in basically every English speaking markets (outside of Australia but I don't know if they still air One Piece anymore) and while thematically One Piece may have more in common with Dragon Ball, DB didn't have a severely edited, poor translation, music replaced dub. It had a competently edited generally genuine translation with the Japanese music. DBZ on the otherhand had all of that.

Dragon Ball only aired in completion after DBZ's popularity soared though. When DB originally aired it made it to, what, episode 13? One Piece doesn't really have a point where they could start from and automatically cut to action-laden story arcs (ala DBZ), so that could be another reason.

Takao

Banned
andymcc said:
Dragon Ball only aired in completion after DBZ's popularity soared though. When DB originally aired it made it to, what, episode 13? One Piece doesn't really have a point where they could start from and automatically cut to action-laden story arcs (ala DBZ), so that could be another reason.

Comparing those 13 episode syndication deals that Funimation did in 1995 isn't that fair for popularity. From what I've been told, a large majority of the affiliates that picked up those 13 episodes of Dragon Ball would air them at like 5AM on a Sunday or something. That's not a child friendly time slot. The only reason it was Z that debuted on Cartoon Network first was because those working at Cartoon Network were familiar with Z via fansubs, and went after the show that had more episodes dubbed but was still kind of obscure. Don't get me wrong, DB's ratings on CN weren't Z's (or even GT's), but it was still a popular show when it aired, and maybe if it was given a legitimate chance on Cartoon Network prior to Z it still could've been. The English parts of the world are a bit of the odd man out, as most of the world started with dubs of DB and watched the show succeed.

Infinite Justice said:
While it may not have the expolsive start of a DBZ i think with what they did to the dub alienated the fans who would buy it since they saw it already and then it would grow.

so not only kids did not care as much, they lost the other fans as well.

at least imo.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. Are you referring to fansub fans? Dragon Ball Z had those back in the day, and while obviously not to the degree One Piece had (thanks to the prevalence of downloads vs. tape trading) there was a lot of hatred for that dub on online communities in the 90s, and early 2000s. But Dragon Ball Z was still insanely popular because it targeted kids who wouldn't be familiar with the original Japanese version, and that was the market the 4Kids dub aimed at.

While the Funimation dub on CN did pull in higher ratings than the 4Kids one, it's unclear if those were kids turned off by the 4Kids dub, or anime fans.

Snakeyes

Hey, at least there's a benefit for OP not being popular here. Since it's relatively unknown, you can safely reveal your love for it without getting the "oh, it's that kids show" reaction.

Top Bottom