• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

caliph95

Excuse me while I get stronger and faster because my blood is pumping faster

Also while I train to walk on air and shoot air bullets from my fingers

I don't think weird thin Lin Lin (28) makes sense as canon. As a kid she's huge and pear shaped just like in the present day, it was easy enough to just imagine her always being like that. Her thinning way the fuck out then plumping back up, especially considering she's had this insatiable hunger her whole life, makes no sense.

It's an SBS request, not something to be taken seriously.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Expecting realistic biology in one piece smh
"Children are capable, of course, of literary belief, when the story-maker's art is good enough to produce it. That state of mind has been called "willing suspension of disbelief." But this does not seem to me a good description of what happens. What really happens is that the story-maker proves a successful "sub-creator." He makes a Secondary World which your mind can enter. Inside it, what he relates is "true": it accords with the laws of that world. You therefore believe it, while you are, as it were, inside. The moment disbelief arises, the spell is broken; the magic, or rather art, has failed. You are then out in the Primary World again, looking at the little abortive Secondary World from outside. If you are obliged, by kindliness or circumstance, to stay, then disbelief must be suspended (or stifled), otherwise listening and looking would become intolerable. But this suspension of disbelief is a substitute for the genuine thing, a subterfuge we use when condescending to games or make-believe, or when trying ... to find what virtue we can in the work of an art that has for us failed." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Oda has written a story where we can easily believe characters can fly, or stretch like rubber or shoot sword slashes out as beams. But that doesn't mean everything fits 100% in his world. We're willing to suspend our belief about Pell surviving explosions, Nami having a waist that'll snap in a slight breeze and every female going through puberty till they're thirty. But even though we're willing to suspend disbelief to enjoy the story doesn't mean those instances don't stick out or deserve better explanations.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Bullshit. No one was suspending their belief over nuke-proof Pell.
I mean, everyone retroactively suspended their disbelief or otherwise "Band-Aids heal everything" and "
almost
no one dies outside of flashbacks" wouldn't have become facts of the series in the fanbase. It's just that people rationalize it as an aspect of Oda's writing style instead of an in universe explaination. Which is the contrast Tolkien tries to make between suspension of disbelief and being a part of the world you built.

Something people didn't suspend their disbelief over would be stuff like Kuina dying from falling down stairs or the idea of tiered devil fruits, both of which a core segment of fans don't believe. Meanwhile everyone accepts that Pell survived because of lol Band-Aids.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
One Piece's unwillingness to stick to consequences has always been a major flaw of the series pre-Ace's death. Pell exploding, Enel destroying thousands of people that later end up fine, people getting beaten to what should be crippling or near death and pulling through with some literal band-aids from Chopper or whoever - after a series like that runs for so long, all high stakes fly out the window. I think Luffy and co.'s defeat by Kuma, followed by Ace's death, came at the right time. I also like how the New World doesn't shy away from new things and consequences in comparison to early OP - the old formula of adventuring on themed islands is shaken up by an overarching throne war story and the separation of the crew (although that's a rather, should I say, divisive storytelling move among OP fans) and people actually seem to die (Monet - yes, I think she's dead - and Hody and co. becoming permanent old cripples).

Nicolada

God I hope she's dead. Being stabbed in the heart is hard to come back from, but Oda would do it.

Vergo was confirmed dead at least.

LotusHD

Banned
One Piece's unwillingness to stick to consequences has always been a major flaw of the series pre-Ace's death. Pell exploding, Enel destroying thousands of people that later end up fine, people getting beaten to what should be crippling or near death and pulling through with some literal band-aids from Chopper or whoever - after a series like that runs for so long, all high stakes fly out the window. I think Luffy and co.'s defeat by Kuma, followed by Ace's death, came at the right time. I also like how the New World doesn't shy away from new things and consequences in comparison to early OP - the old formula of adventuring on themed islands is shaken up by an overarching throne war story and the separation of the crew (although that's a rather, should I say, divisive storytelling move among OP fans) and people actually seem to die (Monet - yes, I think she's dead - and Hody and co. becoming permanent old cripples).

I don't mind the separation just because it finally made me genuinely warm up to Brook. Not that I didn't like him, but I love how much of an MVP he's been this arc. Same for Nami. I mean, I guess it could still easily happen if everyone was around, but it does feel like it lends to making it easier for the weaker Straw Hats to get their chance to shine, as well as the newer characters that get introduced. (Though maybe that's a moot point, since One Piece always introduces a shit ton of new characters anyways)

I think Robin (and maybe Chopper kind of? I dunno, he put in work in PH, Zou, and WCI, so maybe not) is the last Straw Hat left that I would very much like to see have a notable, new W, it's been far too long. You'd think the Dressrosa separation would've helped out with that, and yet... not so much. So I guess it's up to Wano now when everyone's together.

God I hope she's dead. Being stabbed in the heart is hard to come back from, but Oda would do it.

Vergo was confirmed dead at least.

Oda: "Well, I killed one person, didn't I?"

Meanwhile everyone on punk hazard survived the mysterious-poisonous-petrifying smoke.

I don't know, Oda still refuses to kill even fodder marines or civillians, so it's difficult to see how is this new world so much deadlier than the GL.

Mendrox

Off topic but what y'all think? Worked real hard
tumblr_ounc00fw3B1w8n8zko1_400.jpg

man our crew has the best food and all. :3

Metal B

I don't know, Oda still refuses to kill even fodder marines or civillians, so it's difficult to see how is this new world so much deadlier than the GL.
The story is still meant to be mainly for kids. So i can see an author not wanting to depicture mass murder and mass graves ...

caliph95

Meanwhile everyone on punk hazard survived the mysterious-poisonous-petrifying smoke.

It's like you can say Kidd and Mama destroyed island but never show it

Hell I don't think Bart killed someone on screen

The story is still meant to be mainly for kids. So i can see an author not wanting to depicture mass murder and mass graves ...

I mean, it's difficult to think there's any kind of real danger when you know even the fodder marines and random #44 civilians have plot armor. I think the most extreme thing we've seen in the new world is Eustass Kidd crucifying people, the rest of the stuff is just like the grand line.

Edit: yeah we've seen horrible shit in the flashbacks, that's no news. In the actual times we have dudes surviving nukes, thunder blasts, asfixiating smoke, and we can't even discard a stab in the heart lol.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Come on GUYS, this is the most brain-dead argument that always pops up, "lol it's one piece, u should expect nothing." I know it's One Piece, I know biology is all BS. It's not about BIOLOGY, it's about consistency in a character's appearance as they grow up, and the SBS subverting what seemed pretty obvious in the manga itself. My post was simply saying that, in this case, I'm not sure this makes canonical sense. Plenty of SBS things are considered canon by fans, obviously tons of it is just jokes but from time to time he'll genuinely fill gaps in there. My argument is just that, in this case, let's not assume these sketches are of that sort.

Ray Down

Banned

The war will have deaths.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

The issue is definitely still there to some degree, but prior to Marineford, NOBODY ever died outside of flashbacks, or even suffered any real consequences. So it's a little better than it was.

LotusHD

Banned
Also Oda keeps making characters that I don't really want to die, namely the crew, so I don't really get upset when they don't, because there's other ways to raise the stakes. Ultimately he generally only wants it to be this major thing like with Ace, which is completely fine by me.

That said, seeing the occasional death like Vergo to Big Mom's children further helps it to not be too similar to FT.

caliph95

Those four guys at Alabasta died. And PuddingPudding, that guy who tried to take on Arlong. No one interesting tho.
Who again

That four guys wasting their lives against crocodile kinda great and shows how much a dick he is by giving them a humiliating death and left them die knowing their wasted their lives and how brute force isn't going to work

Also Oda keeps making characters that I don't really want to die, namely the crew, so I don't really get upset when they don't, because there's other ways to raise the stakes. Ultimately he generally only wants it to be this major thing like with Ace, which is completely fine by me.

That said, seeing the occasional death like Vergo to Big Mom's children further helps it to not be too similar to FT.

I still believe Vergo and Monet are alive. They'll be back in the eventual Doflamingo cover story.

Euphony

Banned
I still believe Vergo and Monet are alive. They'll be back in the eventual Doflamingo cover story.

Didn't Doflamingo confirm that Vergo died? Monet I can see why people think she's still alive, even though I'm more convinced she's not, but with Vergo I'm more certain he's dead and staying dead.

Thanks to the OP wiki, I found it in chapter 698

Kind of a weak confirmation of his death but it's still there

LotusHD

Banned
Not the hot chick though knowing Oda.

Eh, no point in really pointing that out this time when as far as I can recall, there's no precedent for him bringing back attractive women from the dead. Meanwhile Pell apparently didn't die, neither did Sabo or Bellamy, Bentham, etc., and even then, Monet tops them all by getting both stabbed and blown up.

If say, Kuina was revealed to be alive or something before Monet's death, maybe I'd agree lol

Meh don't care for pointless deaths just so ppl can keep a kill count killing off money was pointless I liked her fruit and now it's wasted unless someone finds it

NSESN

Meh don't care for pointless deaths just so ppl can keep a kill count killing off money was pointless I liked her fruit and now it's wasted unless someone finds it

Carrot is the traitor, but why she would be in the ship in first place? The answer is obvious, The snow fruit spawned in Sunny and she went there to steal it.

Ogodei

Maybe Kuina was brought back to life with some sort of ninja magic which brought back her body but nothing else other than a vague memory that she likes swords. Her father, unable to bear having a living reminder of the daughter he lost living around her, taunting him by being alive but not being his daughter anymore, sent her away, where she became a sword otaku and eventually joined the marines.

Ninja magic being key because this can then be revealed at Wano.

caliph95

Maybe Kuina was brought back to life with some sort of ninja magic which brought back her body but nothing else other than a vague memory that she likes swords. Her father, unable to bear having a living reminder of the daughter he lost living around her, taunting him by being alive but not being his daughter anymore, sent her away, where she became a sword otaku and eventually joined the marines.

Ninja magic being key because this can then be revealed at Wano.
Too bad she lost her sword skills as well

Top Bottom