• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One specific person assumes PS5 3rd Party Devs Are Finding Hardware Troublesome™, “Sony Too” May be Common

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
well, given that cerny has also said that gpu and cpu cannot at the same time run at full speed when both are needed, the last bolded seems like bullshit.

cerny has coined a phrase for a game that has high demands on cpu + gpu. he calls it "worst case game" :messenger_beaming:
and here is what he had to say about it on his lengthy speech about ssd
"that doesn't mean that all games will be running at 3.5gHz and 2.3gHz. when that worst case game arrives (aka a game with high demands) it will run at a lower clockspeed"

that's one of the reasons I want to see hardware stripdown and hands-on testing.

You don’t seem to understand the difference between ”at maximum clockspeed” and “at full load”...

mortal

Gold Member
d5c5ca95fb911bba35144b6d778b78c4.jpg

Welcome to my humble abode.
LMAO the outhouse

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Everyone in this thread WILL bend the knee to Jeffrey Grubb if he's proven right and Digital Foundary finds the PS5 launch games lacking comparatively.

I just watched the video and it seems to me he's basing speculation on things he's heard from sources.

Bend the knee you will!

You don’t seem to understand the difference between ”at maximum clockspeed” and “at full load”...
here's a quote for you:

DF said:
There's likely more to discover about how boost will influence game design.
Several developers speaking to Digital Foundry have stated that
their current PS5 work sees them throttling back the CPU in order to ensure a sustained 2.23GHz clock on the graphics core.

now tell me, if you have developed your game using throttled down cpu profile, in order to use that 2.23ghz on the gpu,
what exactly you think is going to change during runtime on the commercial box?

jimbojim

Banned
Max clocks under load? If the PS5 can run max clocks at all times what is the point of having a variable frequency? I hope it wasn't power savings.

Point of variabel freq. is that you can squeeze more GPU power than with fixed clocks.
I mentioned devkits has a profile with locked clocks.

What's the point of locked clocks when it is never utilized 100% then? Regarding XSX, some power will be left on the table.

ok, let me repeat once more just for you:

cerny has coined a phrase for a game that has high demands on cpu + gpu. he calls it "worst case game"
and here is what he had to say about it on his lengthy speech about ssd:

"that doesn't mean that all games will be running at 3.5gHz and 2.3gHz.
when that worst case game arrives (aka a game with high demands)
it will run at a lower clockspeed"

hope you understand better now.

Yeah, and it will only drop a couple percentages ( in tech analysis it's 2% ) to reduce power consumptio 10%. Mind you that 10% drop in power consumption is not a drop 10% in performance. Maybe resolution will drop if worst scene happens. Like bunch of todays games has dynamic resolution

geordiemp

here's a quote for you:

now tell me, if you have developed your game using throttled down cpu profile, in order to use that 2.23ghz on the gpu,

If you also listened to Cerny he did say simple triangles and low geometry scenes such as map screens had the biggest impact and gave an example of HZD map.

Maybe we will lose some TF when viewing the map and no gameplay - oh no, what will we do, run for the hills.

You selectively pick out some but not all, and you do not understand clocks and gaming otherwise you would know in a frame CPU and GPU are not running max at the same time anyway. CPU tells GPU what to do, but in any nanosecond they are taking TURNS.

It is amusing watching people war who have got not idea how hardware works,......

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Everyone in this thread WILL bend the knee to Jeffrey Grubb if he's proven right and Digital Foundary finds the PS5 launch games lacking comparatively.

I just watched the video and it seems to me he's basing speculation on things he's heard from sources.

Bend the knee you will!

Are people lacking reading comprehension?

Read the sources exact quotes. By specs the series x should run multiplats better but what you are failing to comprehend is what the original quote states. He didn't hear anything or was given any insider info. It's his own opinion. He isn't a dev nor has knowledge how game development works. It's just an opinion of a random person not in the game development industry

If you also listened to Cerny he did say simple triangles and low geometry scenes such as map screens had the biggest impact and gave an example of HZD map.

Maybe we will lose some TF when viewing the map and no gameplay - oh no, what will we do, run for the hills.
cerny has said a lot of things. some of them reek of damage control.

to counter your example, in that same presentaion cerny showed a graph of the "worst case" games for ps4, remember? gow was to the far right iirc.
now tell me, was it the map causing the high power drain on gow? :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

geordiemp

cerny has said a lot of things. some of them reek of damage control.

Makes more sense than your total misuse of computing.

Here is a frame of spiderman, in 1 frame everything must be done, CPU does work, GPU renders and shades.,...

Blue is CPU tasks, brown is GPU...

nSoJB1Z.png

At least do some basic reading if your going to try and argue on how clocks and power work.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Are people lacking reading comprehension?

Read the sources exact quotes. By specs the series x should run multiplats better but what you are failing to comprehend is what the original quote states. He didn't hear anything or was given any insider info. It's his own opinion. He isn't a dev nor has knowledge how game development works. It's just an opinion of a random person not in the game development industry

I actually listened to what he said. I suggest you go watch the video. He clearly has talked to people in the know.

bargeparty

Who is this guy, honestly?

Because all I see is some nobody doing his best to spread bullshit and rumors to either stay relevant or gain relevance.

Many people ITT seem shocked that PS5 games may run worse than XSX games, but really you should expect that to be the case.

When the Digital Foundry head to heads start coming out we're going to see the PS5 versions of multiplats being lower resolution, lower framerate, lower graphical settings, lower quality ray tracing ( or a combination of all 4 ).

THIS generation, Xbox multiplats were across the board inferior to the PS4 version - NEXT gen, it's Sony's turn.

No point living in denial. This is going to happen.

At least do some basic reading if your going to try and argue on how clocks and power work.
oh boy! come both consoles are out, its sure gonna be a lot of fun watching some of the guys in here :messenger_beaming:

oh wait! weren't you the person that posted those VR patents as proof that ps5 has VRS? :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Starting to feel like all the XBox fanboys who claimed Jason Shreier was a Sony shill when he said developers preferred PS5 in a lot of ways.

When you hear anything that puts your plastic of choice in a bad light, call them a shill.

geordiemp

oh boy! come both consoles are out, its sure gonna be a lot of fun watching some of the guys in here :messenger_beaming:

Yes it is, like it ws going to be fun watching Halo show the might of how 12 TF was going to crush all. Oh wait....

When will MS have XSX ready to run games, I read they were still developing velocity arcitecture and had issues with IO (B3d dev).

uNTRsE4.png

We all love pop in.

And yes, Sony have a patent on variable shading for VR, and a patent on GPU compression (cerny and Naughty Dog). :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Many people ITT seem shocked that PS5 games may run worse than XSX games, but really you should expect that to be the case.

When the Digital Foundry head to heads start coming out we're going to see the PS5 versions of multiplats being lower resolution, lower framerate, lower graphical settings, lower quality ray tracing ( or a combination of all 4 ).

THIS generation, Xbox multiplats were across the board inferior to the PS4 version - NEXT gen, it's Sony's turn.

No point living in denial. This is going to happen.

Exactly it's a given. The problem is people can't read and see a journalist is giving THEIR opinion which that said journalists states in their own words.

Last edited:
Exactly it's a given. The problem is people can't read and see a journalist is giving THEIR opinion which that said journalists states in their own words.

What exactly is the new information form Jeff then?

I mean some people make it seem like multiplats are going to be broken on the PS5 but it just seems he's stating the obvious.

Lol Dusk Gollum was de-modded. He hates Gaf and embraced Ree, I wonder what he thinks now?

He was spreading FUD and I think one of the mod generals cut him loose!
Yep.

Just seen that on Era. He got demoted lol.

I mean you post like you know something. Then backtrack to ask devs to help you understand what you initially posted. That's just fucking hilarious. How anyone can take his tweets seriously is beyond me.

Last edited:
here's a quote for you:

Cerny already talked about how that's a feature in the dev kit, most devs they would have talked to are only doing that because they don't need the extra CPU speed to run cross-gen games etc.

Krisprolls

Banned

Here is a frame of spiderman, in 1 frame everything must be done, CPU does work, GPU renders and shades.,...

Blue is CPU tasks, brown is GPU...

nSoJB1Z.png

Yes, most people don't understand you very rarely have both CPU and GPU at max workload... They think CPU and GPU are constantly at 100 %, which is far from true, especially for CPU. Then again, they also think a SSD is useful mostly for removing loading screens, so we shouldn't expect much.

geordiemp

Yes, most people don't understand you very rarely have both CPU and GPU at max workload... They think CPU and GPU are constantly at 100 %, which is far from true, especially for CPU. Then again, they also think a SSD is useful mostly for removing loading screens, so we shouldn't expect much.

The problem is those PC monitors which show CPU / GPU activity, probably max over a few seconds.

In every ms its a different picture and this is the likely granuality of smart shift (on laptop its 2ms last I read, so on 60 FPS its potentially shifting 8 times a frame). Makes sense, if GPU is heavy and CPU is having a cigar, take a nap.

Last edited:

jimbojim

Banned
Yes it is, like it ws going to be fun watching Halo show the might of how 12 TF was going to crush all. Oh wait....

When will MS have XSX ready to run games, I read they were still developing velocity arcitecture and had issues with IO (B3d dev).

uNTRsE4.png

We all love pop in.

And yes, Sony have a patent on variable shading for VR, and a patent on GPU compression (cerny and Naughty Dog). :messenger_beaming:

In few weeks the Summer is gone. Anyway, i'm sure MSs first party studios surely received final devkits already

iamvin22

Industry Verified
What exactly is the new information form Jeff then?

I mean some people make it seem like multiplats are going to be broken on the PS5 but it just seems he's stating the obvious.

That's what I'm saying. Multiplats should look better on series x. But his opinion on Sony's practice with on how they will allow devs to balence clocks is his own opinion which he states. It's no insider info he obtained from a dev.

That's what I'm saying. Multiplats should look better on series x. But his opinion on Sony's practice with on how they will allow devs to balence clocks is his own opinion which he states. It's no insider info he obtained from a dev.

People give in to what's inside them and just interpret what he says to fit their narrative.

I personally haven't seen him make any claims that a developer told him this. Dusk Golem is a different story though.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

That's bullshit because Cerny said PS5 is easier to make games for than the PS4 only the really dumb developers will have any trouble with it but for most of them making games will be as easy as cooking pasta 🍝 😋

fersnake

Arguably the most trusted and reliable insider in the industry at the moment.
you know in the course of history it has been alot ppl claiming or having insiders then got burned because of them. until i see it im not gonna believe it.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
here's a quote for you:

Cerny already talked about how that's a feature in the dev kit, most devs they would have talked to are only doing that because they don't need the extra CPU speed to run cross-gen games etc.
Yeah he talked about having set profiles in the SDK / dev kits that would use set frequencies, think he also said that when the game using these profiles ran on a retail box it would actually run even better.

well, maybe some need it , since RE has this trouble maintaining 4K/60.
and I'd guess they already tried some profiles before resorting to lowering the resolution.

as I have said dozens of times already, stipdown and hands-on will be both very interesting.
until sony decides to give us that info, fishing info from developers and friends of developers will have to do.
kudos to the reporters trying.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
PS5 is having so many issues with third party devs, when third party devs were swooning over PS5 and not XBOX, there was a storm. That Crytek guy was harassed to no end.....Funny enough he works at one of the leading third party devs relative to graphics engineering (Crytek).......When I hear Epic and Dice crying about PS5, I'll take heed...Till then everything you hear is tales from the ass....

Top Bottom