• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One specific person assumes PS5 3rd Party Devs Are Finding Hardware Troublesome™, “Sony Too” May be Common

I mean it could. But we don't really know why he isn't a mod anymore.
Since dusk gollem's valid inside info about capcom were 100% ratified by the sf6 boss getting canned a few days ago,
any chance he didn't ask himself to leave moderation and got the boot,
only paints resetera in an even worse sony fanboy schill color than it already was.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
And another one hypotecical example.

Big IF

EfUTxHuUYAYgvMF.jpg-large.jpeg

Why is he doing this?
He is going out of his way to spread negativity around PS5... there is a definite agenda. I understand MS brings lots of money into the industry and they want to keep them in so everyone gets paid but spreading lies isn't the way to do it.

They have tried spreading positivity around Xbox by talking up gamepass recently and that obviously didn't do enough so they came out to take down Sony a bit....

Last edited:
Yes, it wouldn't have looked as it did if it weren't 30fps. That said, the devs have said they're looking to optimize Lumen even further to make it run at 60fps.
of course the engine cant be released until it can reach 60.
both this, and the resolution of the demo was disclosed at the same time the demo was shown, by the unreal tech team in China as they had their own concurrent live stream event.

maybe reaching 60 on ps5 is also the reason no real time raytracing is included as of yet, while rtrt was shown on previous engine

He is going out of his way to spread negativity around PS5... there is a definite agenda. I understand MS brings lots of money into the industry and they want to keep them in so everyone gets paid but spreading lies isn't the way to do it.

They have tried spreading positivity around Xbox by talking up gamepass recently and that obviously didn't do enough so they came out to take down Sony a bit....
dude, what are you talking about?
let the reporters investigate and report! that's their job description.
if you dont want to find out what's going on, at least respect those that do.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Jeff Grubb has no technical expertise whatsoever. Why anyone believe him on technical specifications on hardware that nobody has access to except people under heavy NDA is beyond me.

Jeff Grubb has learned language and social skills at a young age. He has shown an ability to use these tools to gather information from game developers in the past.

He hasn't said anything controversial in the slightest here.

Bryank75

Banned
of course the engine cant be released until it can reach 60.
both this, and the resolution of the demo was disclosed at the same time the demo was shown, by the unreal tech team in China as they had their own concurrent live stream event.

maybe reaching 60 on ps5 is also the reason no real time raytracing is included as of yet, while rtrt was shown on previous engine

dude, what are you talking about?
let the reporters investigate and report! that's their job description.
if you dont want to find out what's going on, at least respect those that do.
What percentage of these arts graduates even understand what the engineers or techies describe to them?

Bryank75

Banned
Spider-man, Demons Souls, Death Loop, R&C, Kena and many of the other games shown at the reveal were at full 4K.... we know this. Some of them offer a 60fps mode that may have dynamic 4K due to the use of Ray Tracing and other demanding techniques......

So I don't know why we are even entertaining these obvious lies that come right off the back of lots of negative press for the competition....

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Spider-man, Demons Souls, Death Loop, R&C, Kena and many of the other games shown at the reveal were at full 4K.... we know this. Some of them offer a 60fps mode that may have dynamic 4K due to the use of Ray Tracing and other demanding techniques......

So I don't know why we are even entertaining these obvious lies....

Spiderman is Sony first party.
Demons Souls is Sony 2nd party.
Death Loop is Sony 2nd party and looks like a current gen game.
Ratchet is Sony first party.
Keena is a simplistic indie game.

Grubb is referencing third party games that are appearing on both Series X and PS5. He's not really talking about the games you listed.

Bryank75

Banned
Spiderman is Sony first party.
Demons Souls is Sony 2nd party.
Death Loop is Sony 2nd party and looks like a current gen game.
Ratchet is Sony first party.
Keena is a simplistic indie game.

Grubb is referencing third party games that are appearing on both Series X and PS5. He's not really talking about the games you listed.
Death Loop is Arkane, 3rd party. Ghostwire too and Hitman...

It's fine to criticize but Xbox has hardly shown anything running on a Series X, which we could speculate is due to it not running much properly yet....

ZywyPL

Banned
Well it's not a secret how SmartShift works, it's either or, not both. The devs will simply lock the games to a lower resolution or implement dynamic res, and that will solve all the problems, that's what they have been doing for the past 8 years with XB1/PS4 and Pro/1X.

NEbeast

Well people will believe what they want. When developers were saying that the PS5 was easier to develop for and better over all than XSX people here ate it up. Now some developers are saying they are having problems with PS5 development and people here are simply dismissing it or saying MS paid them off or posting Craig memes. One thing is clear; Sony's strategy of paying 3rd parties for timed exclusives will be a quick and easy way to beat back any XSX advantage. Think Destiny 1 and 2. Just pay them to not make the game on the XSX or make it so late it won't matter. It tough but since its Sony its more than fair. Call it the PlayStation Advantage. Should be an interesting generation.
No developers are saying it, read the damn Article. It's all his "concerns".

Well it's not a secret how SmartShift works, it's either or, not both. The devs will simply lock the games to a lower resolution or implement dynamic res, and that will solve all the problems, that's what they have been doing for the past 8 years with XB1/PS4 and Pro/1X.
I remember reading on a DF article about tech ps5, that they reached to developers and were told that they are doing the opposite: they are using a profile that cpu is throttled down so as to be able to use the gpu.

one of the reasons I want a hardware stripdown and some hands-on testing.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Death Loop is Arkane, 3rd party. Ghostwire too and Hitman...

It's fine to criticize but Xbox has hardly shown anything running on a Series X, which we could speculate is due to it not running much properly yet....

But Deathloop is a PS5 exclusive, which means the PS5 and Series X versions aren't being built simultaneously. It also looks like a current gen game.

The concern isn't games like Deathloop. It's games like Assassin's Creed Vallhalla, Madden, Call of Duty etc...where we might see a potential difference due to PS5s more quirky architecture.

It's reasonable speculation that may or may not turn out true.

Bryank75

Banned
Lots of insecurity being expressed in this thread. We went through this with current gen consoles. There were Lots of pre-launch rumors that PS4 was more powerful than Xbone and that was definitely the case. Oh well, looks like PS5 is gonna rely on feux 4K. I don't think it really matters when games start coming out. I sort of wish Sony would have used all that Moneyhatting money to beef up the GPU or the minimal storage that can't be expanded. I think Sony clearly has a greater mindshare and slightly more attractive launch software. The only thing that MS can do is undercut them on price. Native 4K isn't a giant selling point IMO.
There's no competition.... PlayStation was already going to win by around 2/1 but now.........

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Yeah I wouldn't read into this at all. It may be valid once we see the games and get comparisons but that is a long way away.

Side note: please don't go around saying native 4K is irrelevant or not necessary. Both consoles will struggle to reach it but don't confuse that as it not being important.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Grubb is a know-nothing fanboy, I find it hard to believe any dev would find the load balancing problematic because essentially its purpose is to act as a performance reserve that becomes accessible only when needed. Which given that its operation is deterministic based on load across cpu and gpu should be entirely predictable.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I remember reading on a DF article about tech ps5, that they reached to developers and were told that they are doing the opposite: they are using a profile that cpu is throttled down so as to be able to use the gpu.

one of the reasons I want a hardware stripdown and some hands-on testing.

Cerny: "Developers don't need to optimize in any way; if necessary, the frequency will adjust to whatever actions the CPU and GPU are performing. I think you're asking what happens if there is a piece of code intentionally written so that every transistor (or the maximum number of transistors possible) in the CPU and GPU flip on every cycle. That's a pretty abstract question, games aren't anywhere near that amount of power consumption. In fact, if such a piece of code were to run on existing consoles, the power consumption would be well out of the intended operating range and it's even possible that the console would go into thermal shutdown. PS5 would handle such an unrealistic piece of code more gracefully.
Regarding locked profiles, we support those on our dev kits, it can be helpful not to have variable clocks when optimising. Released PS5 games always get boosted frequencies so that they can take advantage of the additional power. "

Jerm411

This shit is so tiresome...the entire console warz garbage on both sides is even more tiring....

In the end, they’re video game consoles....who gives a shit.

If you want to buy an enjoy a XSX, super....if you want to buy a PS5 and enjoy it, great.

Cerny: "Developers don't need to optimize in any way; if necessary, the frequency will adjust to whatever actions the CPU and GPU are performing. I think you're asking what happens if there is a piece of code intentionally written so that every transistor (or the maximum number of transistors possible) in the CPU and GPU flip on every cycle. That's a pretty abstract question, games aren't anywhere near that amount of power consumption. In fact, if such a piece of code were to run on existing consoles, the power consumption would be well out of the intended operating range and it's even possible that the console would go into thermal shutdown. PS5 would handle such an unrealistic piece of code more gracefully.
Regarding locked profiles, we support those on our dev kits, it can be helpful not to have variable clocks when optimising. Released PS5 games always get boosted frequencies so that they can take advantage of the additional power. "
well, given that cerny has also said that gpu and cpu cannot at the same time run at full speed when both are needed, the last bolded seems like bullshit.

cerny has coined a phrase for a game that has high demands on cpu + gpu. he calls it "worst case game" :messenger_beaming:
and here is what he had to say about it on his lengthy speech about ssd
"that doesn't mean that all games will be running at 3.5gHz and 2.3gHz. when that worst case game arrives (aka a game with high demands) it will run at a lower clockspeed"

that's one of the reasons I want to see hardware stripdown and hands-on testing.

No developers are saying it, read the damn Article. It's all his "concerns".
Where are those developers who had problems with XSX? With how Sony is locking down exclusive content could it be their concerns were MS not cutting a big enough check? Pretty sure Spiderman in that Avengers game wasn't because they couldn't get him to run on XSX. It was clearly the Playstation advantage.

He did said PS5 can be at max clocks most of the time during Road to PS5 and Eurogamer interview. Even PS5 devkits has a profile with locked max. clocks.
ok, let me repeat once more just for you:

cerny has coined a phrase for a game that has high demands on cpu + gpu. he calls it "worst case game"
and here is what he had to say about it on his lengthy speech about ssd:

"that doesn't mean that all games will be running at 3.5gHz and 2.3gHz.
when that worst case game arrives (aka a game with high demands)
it will run at a lower clockspeed"

hope you understand better now.

They don't know what they're talking about. It's always DuskGolem and Jeff Grubb, how many threads are we allowed to open about those two ?

How many FUD threads are allowed for the same DuskGolem tweets ?

There was no shortage of ssd threads so this might balance things out.....we just need about 100 more tweets

Max clocks under load? If the PS5 can run max clocks at all times what is the point of having a variable frequency? I hope it wasn't power savings.

Stop being obtuse.

My GPU never, ever runs at 'max clocks' 100% of the time. Nor does any modern GPU ever made. It doesn't need to. During less computationally demanding scenes or areas in a game, they downclock.

CPUs similarly do not need to run 3.3Ghz 100% of the time. Your argument is idiotic.

Top Bottom