• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One way Bethesda could salvage some good will from the Fallout 76 subscription service.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I posted this in the Jim Sterling Bethesda is Obsolete thread, but I consider my post to be so awesome (Believe me!) that it was worth it's own thread.

If Bethesda wants me to regain faith in them, they can do one (well technically two) thing:

Re-release Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas on current gen consoles complete with mod support. Have it done by the same team who ported Skyrim. After playing The Outer Worlds, I BADLY want to play it on consoles again on my OLED.

If Bethesda did that, they should consider providing both of those games free to Fallout 76 subscribers, where they can use the atom points in all 3 games instead of just Fallout 76. Not that atom point mods are anything special, but the mods they can buy with them do allow you to still earn achievements and trophies

There it is Bethesda:

A get out of jail for a small fee card.

p.s. I know some of you can't help yourselves, but please don't respond with "get it on PC." The PC versions of these games run like ass and are non-stop crash fests. I'd much rather both games get ported to the latest version of Gamebryo and run on current gen consoles as well as Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE did (at least for me).

Of course, keep the option to purchase both games separately for those who want nothing to do with Fallout 76.

Starfield

Get it on PC. The PC version of the game run better if not exactly as on console, however with the difference that you can download around 100 times more mods (with the potential to break your game however) than on console. Don't support Creation Club

I'd rather not have them spend time an ressources (or money, aka outsourcing) on remasters like all the other devs do and instead focus their studios fully on Starfield and Tes 6 (and making Fallout 76 a better product even after all this shit show)

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

The only thing they could do right now is to just keep their mouths shut and make a kick ass Elder Scrolls 6.

It's the only redemption chance they have.
I'll be surprised if TES 6 will look like it's running on a brand new engine and will lack all of the outdated mechanics from Bethesda's previous RPG's. They've already wasted one good chance with Fallout 4.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
p.s. I know some of you can't help yourselves, but please don't respond with "get it on PC." The PC versions of these games run like ass and are non-stop crash fests. I'd much rather both games get ported to the latest version of Gamebryo and run on current gen consoles as well as Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE did (at least for me).

You just couldn't help yourself.

Get it on PC. The PC version of the game run better if not exactly as on console, however with the difference that you can download around 100 times more mods (with the potential to break your game however) than on console. Don't support Creation Club

source.gif

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm sorry this is just not true. I have played on PC and it is actually the most stable version of these games.
It is true. Fallout 3 and New Vegas often need all sorts of unnecessary patches and mods to get up and running. New Vegas runs much better, but Fallout 3 is a crash fest even with mods. I've tried using the GOG and Steam versions and both have their issues.

Last edited:

Starfield

It is true. Fallout 3 and New Vegas often need all sorts of unnecessary patches and mods to get up and running. New Vegas runs much better, but Fallout 3 is a crash fest even with mods. I've tried using the GOG and Steam versions and both have their issues.
Du no which version you played on PC then, maybe the Ugandan PC version or something

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
And the console versions somehow sidestep these core Bethesda-ass Bethesda problems?

Pressing X to doubt
The PS4/Xbox version of Skyrim ran quite well in my experience. I played Skyrim SE on both systems and never experienced one single crash or any game breaking issue, aside from one quest bugging out. 100 hours+

Hire the team that produced that version of Skyrim and I suspect the final product will be light years better than the currently released PC versions.

Last edited:

Starfield

If you read my post, you would see that I played the Steam and GOG version.
They're the same thing. On PC and on console, the same files. Maybe you just had troubles on your side with the game. Maybe not enough ram or some other issue.

That was actually a huge problem in Fallout 3 on Xbox 360 for me. In the beginning everything was fine until I reached the 1000 in game hours mark, then I started having problems and crashes each time I played.

After that I changed some hexes in the game so I could drop buildings, skeletons and random crap out of my inventory until it bricked the game. Somehow not even deleting all my saves helped in that case as I changed the code of the game of the disc.

johntown

Banned
I admit they both do have issues and can crash on occasion but nothing close to the original console releases (I played the orignal F3 on PS3). Most of the Fallout 3 crashes are due to resource issues.

I'm not going to self promote myself here but I have an 45 hour unedited YouTube upload of the entire game on PC and there are only a handful a crashes throughout. I'm not going to say you didn't have a terrible experience but maybe it was related to the hardware you used or something else? My experience though was vastly different which is why I said what I said and I did have a few runs of the game on PC.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I patched the .exe to allow more than 4GB of RAM. I am betting that may have been your issue because even with 32GB of RAM if you don't use the patch to allow large memory you will have pretty constant crashes.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They're the same thing. On PC and on console, the same files. Maybe you just had troubles on your side with the game. Maybe not enough ram or some other issue.

That was actually a huge problem in Fallout 3 on Xbox 360 for me. In the beginning everything was fine until I reached the 1000 in game hours mark, then I started having problems and crashes each time I played.

After that I changed some hexes in the game so I could drop buildings, skeletons and random crap out of my inventory until it bricked the game. Somehow not even deleting all my saves helped in that case as I changed the code of the game of the disc.
My PC is a 2080 Ti, AMD 3900X and 32GB RAM. Specs are not the issue. Although, I was playing the game when I still had my 8700K.

But your final post highlighted the EXACT reason why these games need to be re-released. No one should ever have to go through that many hoops to get a PC game to run. PC Gamers live in a fantasy land where they think that just because they are experienced with tweaking and getting things to run that the vast majority of PC gamers fall into that category. Consoles take away all that stuff that experienced PC users take for granted.

Starfield

My PC is a 2080 Ti, AMD 3900X and 32GB RAM. Specs are not the issue. Although, I was playing the game when I still had my 8700K.

But your final post highlighted the EXACT reason why these games need to be re-released. No one should ever have to go through that many hoops to get a PC game to run. PC Gamers live in a fantasy land where they think that just because they are experienced with tweaking and getting things to run that the vast majority of PC gamers fall into that category. Consoles take away all that stuff that experienced PC users take for granted.
I suggest you to stay on your beloved console then. Enjoy your filtered out and generic mods while I'm running around as a fully naked female Argonian, in 4k.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I admit they both do have issues and can crash on occasion but nothing close to the original console releases (I played the orignal F3 on PS3). Most of the Fallout 3 crashes are due to resource issues.

I'm not going to self promote myself here but I have an 45 hour unedited YouTube upload of the entire game on PC and there are only a handful a crashes throughout. I'm not going to say you didn't have a terrible experience but maybe it was related to the hardware you used or something else? My experience though was vastly different which is why I said what I said and I did have a few runs of the game on PC.
Fair enough, but you and Hado are making my point for me as to why these need to be re-released. A PC game should not require the use of mods, tweaks and editing to get to run. It's easy for you and me to do those things, although I admit that I could never get Fallout 3 to run the way I wanted to. Fallout New Vegas on the otherhand ran reasonably well without crashing.

Starfield

Fair enough, but you and Hado are making my point for me as to why these need to be re-released. A PC game should not require the use of mods, tweaks and editing to get to run. It's easy for you and me to do those things, although I admit that I could never get Fallout 3 to run the way I wanted to. Fallout New Vegas on the otherhand ran reasonably well without crashing.
They don't need mods or tweaks or unnoffical patches in any way.

If you download fallout 3 on gog or steam right now I can guarantee you there shouldn't be any sort of crashes in a normal unaltered game save.

You're making it look like if the pc versions are dog shut like Gothic 3 or some shit where you had to download dozens of unofficial patches to HOPEFULLY get the game running without a critical crash.

That isn't true. It has never been

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I suggest you to stay on your beloved console then. Enjoy your filtered out and generic mods while I'm running around as a fully naked female Argonian, in 4k.
This thread was about consoles so thanks for the input. I was also advocating for it to get a PC re-release so that those who have invested in a PC can run the game without going through hoops that a novice may not be comfortable with.

JohnnyFootball JohnnyFootball
I’m mostly with you. If Bethesda released Fallout 3: Special Edition without any gotchas, I’d be on board. The thing is, I don’t know if I trust them to do anything like that anymore. I feel like Bethesda would cut corners and do something weird to sabotage their own release.

johntown

Banned
Yeah I just edited my last post and I do agree that players should not have to go through all of that to get a game to work.

Do really have faith that Bethesda would actually fix all of those issues with a console re-release? Did they fix all the bugs in Skyrim in Skyrim SE?

Did you use the large memory patch for Fallout 3? Without that patch the game will crash a lot......maybe that was the issue?

Starfield

:messenger_smiling:
This thread was about consoles so thanks for the input. I was also advocating for it to get a PC re-release so that those who have invested in a PC can run the game without going through hoops that a novice may not be comfortable with.
You're implying that there are some sort of hoops on pc in order to get the game "running" which just Inst true. Im just trying to make you understand that but you somehow don't.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They don't need mods or tweaks or unnoffical patches in any way.

If you download fallout 3 on gog or steam right now I can guarantee you there shouldn't be any sort of crashes in a normal unaltered game save.

You're making it look like if the pc versions are dog shut like Gothic 3 or some shit where you had to download dozens of unofficial patches to HOPEFULLY get the game running without a critical crash.

That isn't true. It has never been
You can say that the current PC version is fine, but there is tons of evidence and years of posting to suggest it could do with an overhaul.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah I just edited my last post and I do agree that players should not have to go through all of that to get a game to work.

Do really have faith that Bethesda would actually fix all of those issues with a console re-release? Did they fix all the bugs in Skyrim in Skyrim SE?

Did you use the large memory patch for Fallout 3? Without that patch the game will crash a lot......maybe that was the issue?
Yes I installed that patch. The main reason I had to stop playing the game was that it and the anti-stutter patch were incompatible. Fallout 3 wouldn't handle 144Hz real well and I just gave up and moved onto other things.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Fallout 3 got X Enhancements and plays like a dream. A remaster honestly isn't needed.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hmm, I wasn't aware that a PS4 could play Fallout 3 with X enhancements.
sarcasm warning
Hmm, I wasn't aware that your definition of "current gen consoles" excluded Xbox One or PC.

Vawn

Banned
Bethesda makes crappy, broken games. They always have. I'm not sure why people are just now discovering this.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hmm, I wasn't aware that your definition of "current gen consoles" excluded Xbox One or PC.
My definition includes all of those, but yours only included the one with the smallest marketshare and that is not including just the X which would make it even more smaller.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Bethesda makes crappy, broken games. They always have. I'm not sure why people are just now discovering this.
Prior to Fallout 76, their last two current releases have been reasonably stable: Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE. I don't recall near the outcry in terms of stability for those two games. 76 on the otherhand...................

Last edited:
Prior to Fallout 76, their last two current releases have been reasonably stable: Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE. I don't recall near the outcry in terms of stability for those two games. 76 on the otherhand...................
Honestly, I don't understand the pushback you're getting. The previous Fallout games were good games. You can still go back and play Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and they play fine. I'm with you, but apparently we're in the minority.

Starfield

Yes I installed that patch. The main reason I had to stop playing the game was that it and the anti-stutter patch were incompatible. Fallout 3 wouldn't handle 144Hz real well and I just gave up and moved onto other things.
Well that's on your end then. The engine is or wasn't made for more than 60fps at that time.

Trogdor1123

They are clearly a money hungry company. Just get these done, make money. Could even farm it out to a third party to do.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Honestly, I don't understand the pushback you're getting. The previous Fallout games were good games. You can still go back and play Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and they play fine. I'm with you, but apparently we're in the minority.
I personally never fan of Fallout series but lots people did enjoyed games like Fallout 3 but they were still very buggy and ugly games but people liked the games despite of those issues because they enjoyed story and core gameplay. What Fallout 76 did just take out most things people enjoyed about the series and what you left with issues, bugs and ugliness and that people used to tolerate.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
My definition includes all of those, but yours only included the one with the smallest marketshare and that is not including just the X which would make it even more smaller.

Nah your definition really only includes the PS4 since PC and Xbox One already have FO3 & FO:NV with X enhancements on FO3 and both are available to play for free on GamePass if you don't already own the games.

Fallout 3 on PC is a mess

I can't remember if I asked you this already, and if I have my apologies, but have you tried installing Tales of Two Wastelands for New Vegas? It takes a bit of time to do, but it's basically the entire Fallout 3 game running on the newer NV engine. There are a bunch of New Vegas mods that support it and it looks a ton better and like NV I haven't been able to make it crash. Once you play through Fallout 3 you can take a train to the Mojave and time skips ahead so you can play though New Vegas. You can take companions from one game into the other at that point as well.

It's not very ENB friendly though, I spent a few hours getting an ENB to work correctly (scenery and water tiles appear through rocks), but I wanted detailed shadows which was worth the time. Even without the ENB though the game looks much better than Fallout 3.

Well, I need something to replace Mass Effect for all my space opera needs. Starfield seems to be the closest thing from the little we know about it. Even with Gamebryo and all.

Have you given The Outer Worlds a shot? It's very similar to Mass Effect in many ways. I've been enjoying it.

imsosleepy

The only thing they could do right now is to just keep their mouths shut and make a kick ass Elder Scrolls 6.

It's the only redemption chance they have.
Starfield comes first. Apparently in their old shitty engine. I have 0 faith..

Top Bottom