• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One way Bethesda could salvage some good will from the Fallout 76 subscription service.

Fitzchiv

To be honest I was really, really fucked off when they announced what Fallout 76 was. It was abundantly clear it was a cash grab and moreover it had taken up development time for the new elder Scrolls, starfield or even Fallout 5 - which would have been a bold move from them in terms of immediately trying to move the franchise forward or, even better, license it to another studio a la NV.

So the fact Fallout 76 is a cluster fuck is karma for Bethesda, frankly, and whilst I feel bad for the people who bought it and play it I also hope it dies a tragic death, fast.

Redemption? Dunno. I really don't know. I won't be rushing out to buy whatever game they shit out next, nor its merchandise, microtransactions or add ons. There's an element of getting what you wish for in this as all the people who've hoovered up the crap they've got away with for the last 10 years have created a crack-addict studio that's badly lost its way.

I guess I echo others sentiments in terms of they need to make everything on Fallout 76 equal and free, continue to support it in terms of bugs and fixed, but then hunker down, shut up and focus on creating a game gamers actually want rather than they'll pay for blindly.

Bethesda are nearly on Bioware level this gen.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Their unwillingness to invest in a new engine is a glaring sign of what the future looks like. Lends credence to the rumors that they are just milking what they can until they can sell the company.

sol_bad

Giving away a couple of free games does not make this subscription model good. No, it is 100% a rip off and no fool should be paying for it.

EDMIX

only redemption chance they have

Relax on the concern stuff, every publisher has some bad IP that they made, that doesn't mean suddenly any game that follows is a "redemption" or anything like that. Fallout 76 has nothing to do with Fallout 5, Starfield, Elder Scrolls VI etc. Thats like saying Death Stranding or Ghost Of Tsushima is a "redemption" for Sony after the failure of that Hidden Agenda game or something.

Birdo

Banned
Thats like saying Death Stranding or Ghost Of Tsushima is a "redemption" for Sony after the failure of that Hidden Agenda game or something.

Bad comparison. Sony haven't released a game anywhere near the shit-show that Fallout 76 is.

EDMIX

Re-release Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas on current gen consoles complete with mod support.

Ok...sooooo I don't disagree with wanting that as all of us likely would want that, but what does that have to do with Fallout 76 ? My advice to gamers, stop talking down to other gamers as if everyone is dumb or something, we understand FALLOUT 76 IS NOT FALLOUT 5, ITS NOT ELDER SCROLLS VI, ITS NOT MADE BY THOSE SAME TEAMS!

We get it, its a MMO, by a different team, that doesn't actually mean we will NEVER get a Fallout 5 and thus they need "good will" by a move like this. By that logic, FF series needs other FF titles for "good will" regarding the MMO series. We are smart enough to understand THOSE ARE DIFFERENT GAMES, made by DIFFERENT TEAMS! You can hate ESO and buy ESVI, you can hate FFXIV and still buy FFXVI if its a single player style FF that is, etc. No different then you can dislike Fallout 76 and understand Fallout 5 IS NOT THE SAME THING. So I don't understand this idea of making it seem as if one is the same as the other or both represent the same ideas etc. They don't and I think most gamers are smart enough to realize that. Fallout 76 is its own thing, most understand that Doom Eternal has nothing to do with Fallout 76, must understand that Starfield has NOTHING to do with Fallout 76.

EDMIX

Bad comparison. Sony haven't released a game anywhere near the shit-show that Fallout 76 is.

They haven't, but the point still remains. You wouldn't try to apply a broad brush stroke across all of Sony for a few flops. That happens to every publisher every generation with a few titles. Be like saying Breath Of The Wild is the "redemption" of Nintendo after Star Fox Zero, as if that situation has anything to do with BoTW. Sony has many flops with SOE, as to why they sold them. That happened this gen mind you. So saying if its "anywhere near" is simply subjective and based on your personal emotions regarding the situation, but regardless of personal feelings, those titles flopped enough for Sony to sell SOE. The point is simply, publishers have a few flops per gen.

So this title might be a shit show, but its also understand this MMO doesn't actually represent ALL of Fallout no different then the FF MMOs do no represent all of Final Fantasy. Gamers are smart enough to understand that. (hopefully, sad to say but the gaming community has a sad history of not really understanding their own hobby many times, ie confusing a publisher for developer etc)

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
They haven't, but the point still remains. You wouldn't try to apply a broad brush stroke across all of Sony for a few flops. That happens to every publisher every generation with a few titles. Be like saying Breath Of The Wild is the "redemption" of Nintendo after Star Fox Zero, as if that situation has anything to do with BoTW. Sony has many flops with SOE, as to why they sold them. That happened this gen mind you. So saying if its "anywhere near" is simply subjective and based on your personal emotions regarding the situation, but regardless of personal feelings, those titles flopped enough for Sony to sell SOE. The point is simply, publishers have a few flops per gen.

So this title might be a shit show, but its also understand this MMO doesn't actually represent ALL of Fallout no different then the FF MMOs do no represent all of Final Fantasy. Gamers are smart enough to understand that.

You are really underestimating how much the Bethesda name is being dragged through the mud right now.

Again with the bad comparisons. Nintendo didn't piss anyone off with Star Fox Zero. It was just a mediocre game. NOT comparable to Fallout 76.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ok...sooooo I don't disagree with wanting that as all of us likely would want that, but what does that have to do with Fallout 76 ? My advice to gamers, stop talking down to other gamers as if everyone is dumb or something, we understand FALLOUT 76 IS NOT FALLOUT 5, ITS NOT ELDER SCROLLS VI, ITS NOT MADE BY THOSE SAME TEAMS!

We get it, its a MMO, by a different team, that doesn't actually mean we will NEVER get a Fallout 5 and thus they need "good will" by a move like this. By that logic, FF series needs other FF titles for "good will" regarding the MMO series. We are smart enough to understand THOSE ARE DIFFERENT GAMES, made by DIFFERENT TEAMS! You can hate ESO and buy ESVI, you can hate FFXIV and still buy FFXVI if its a single player style FF that is, etc. No different then you can dislike Fallout 76 and understand Fallout 5 IS NOT THE SAME THING. So I don't understand this idea of making it seem as if one is the same as the other or both represent the same ideas etc. They don't and I think most gamers are smart enough to realize that. Fallout 76 is its own thing, most understand that Doom Eternal has nothing to do with Fallout 76, must understand that Starfield has NOTHING to do with Fallout 76.
Huh? I'm not understanding how this has anything to do with the post you quoted. Where did I say Fallout 76 is Fallout 5 or imply that others didn't know that.

Majima-Goro

Neo Member
I was mega disappointed when they announced Fallout 76 as I genuinely believed they’d announce a partnership with Obsidian and reveal a Fallout game made by them.

Instead we got this big pile of shit that is only getting bigger with each dumb move from Bethesda. Your suggestion OP is quite stunning, who in their right mind (even if you’re rich) would pay for a subscription for a broken ass game ? This game especially ?

I was wondering if I shouldn’t give the game a shot a few months ago but all the stuff they did until now doesn’t make me want to buy anything from them. I’ll be very cautious with TES6/FO5, hopefully the suits won’t ruin those games...

Last edited:

EDMIX

You are really underestimating how much the Bethesda name is being dragged through the mud right now.

Again with the bad comparisons. Nintendo didn't piss anyone off with Star Fox Zero. It was just a mediocre game. NOT comparable to Fallout 76.

Sure, "didn't piss anyone off". Not a single person? You sure?

Doesn't need to be equal to Fallout 76, both are flops. It would be just as slow to assume all Nintendo games will be as bad as Star Fox Zero....

Where did I say Fallout 76 is Fallout 5 or imply that others didn't know that.

Where did I say you did?

When I made that statement, it wasn't stating you said it and it wasn't even addressed to you, I even say "my advice to gamers". Never stated you bud, I even did that to make clear its not actually saying YOU personally believe or stated that etc.

So many of us want a Fallout 3 remastered or New Vegas etc, that doesn't really erase Fallout 76 and to say its some "A get out of jail for a small fee card" makes even less sense as they would likely do a remaster regardless of 76's success or failure. As in.....they have nothing to really do with each other. So Sure, Fallout 3 and NV remaster would be sweet.....not sure what that has to do with Fallout 76 as I'm sure we understand those are different developers and Fallout 76 is a MMO, it wasn't created to replace Fallout single player as in a Fallout 3 remaster or NV would suddenly be this knee jerk reaction to reverse what they are doing or something. Again, what does one have to do with the other? I don't disagree with wanting Fallout 3 and NV, but this whole "good will" argument makes it seem as if its being done as a reaction to 76, as if they had ZERO plans to continue doing any other Fallout or something.

Is Breath Of The Wild some "good will" to "salvage" Nintendo to make up for Star Fox Zero? Maybe, just maybe....one action isn't a reaction to something else. Sometimes a game flops, that happens to all publishers during a generation. So I don't disagree with a Fallout 3 or NV remaster, I do however disagree with making it seem reactionary to "salvage some good will".

The thing that’s crazy, in my mind, is that if Bethesda would have reversed their release timing for Fallout 76, they probably would’ve been heroes.

Imagine, if you will! Fallout 76 is a standard Fallout experience, but maybe with COOP. They announce they have big plans for it, and one year later they release a shared world experience with servers, and micro transactions, and a subscription. Most players would’ve given them a pass. They still got what they wanted. The main game was a fun single-player game. The side project was the shared world. Loot boxes, virtual currency, subscriptions; they all would’ve been easy to justify or dismiss. It really would’ve been a totally different reception. At least, in my mind it would have been.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
To be honest I was really, really fucked off when they announced what Fallout 76 was. It was abundantly clear it was a cash grab and moreover it had taken up development time for the new elder Scrolls, starfield or even Fallout 5 - which would have been a bold move from them in terms of immediately trying to move the franchise forward or, even better, license it to another studio a la NV.

So the fact Fallout 76 is a cluster fuck is karma for Bethesda, frankly, and whilst I feel bad for the people who bought it and play it I also hope it dies a tragic death, fast.

Redemption? Dunno. I really don't know. I won't be rushing out to buy whatever game they shit out next, nor its merchandise, microtransactions or add ons. There's an element of getting what you wish for in this as all the people who've hoovered up the crap they've got away with for the last 10 years have created a crack-addict studio that's badly lost its way.

I guess I echo others sentiments in terms of they need to make everything on Fallout 76 equal and free, continue to support it in terms of bugs and fixed, but then hunker down, shut up and focus on creating a game gamers actually want rather than they'll pay for blindly.

Bethesda are nearly on Bioware level this gen.
In this case is fault of the public to buy this crap. Even in the trailer and the model we know that was a piece of shit... And Still buy even the horrible bugs.... Even Still buying when the crap bag was of nylon.... Even Still buy it when was a free to play with dlc of anywhere... Even buy it when there is lag and crappy V. A. T. S. mode... Even they buy it when the helmet is toxic... Even they buy it when this piece of shit freeze the consoles... So who was the fault? Bethesda??? Hell no... Is the public... Even when there are so many amazing complete games, they Still buy this piece of shit??.. Definitive the public's fault

Last edited:
Yeah, this suggestion does fuck all for most people and especially PC players. The games do not run like ass on a modern PC with 5 minutes of Google.

They need to restructure their development pipelines and get back to creating world's that people just loved being in.

joe_zazen

There are a lot of people who really like 76 and have pumped hundreds/thousands of hours into it. Why exactly do people think it is this giant clusterfuck that no one plays?

like where is this info coming from

Majima-Goro

Neo Member
There are a lot of people who really like 76 and have pumped hundreds/thousands of hours into it. Why exactly do people think it is this giant clusterfuck that no one plays?

like where is this info coming from
It’s not exactly blooming either, with each dumb move from Beth it’s clear they are frustrating more and more players from the small pool they already have.

Which makes them turn to other games, if it’s only for the survival aspect I’d rather play Conan Exiles which is much MUCH less buggy and scammy or even that crap that is Ark Survival.

Last edited:

Starfield

Their unwillingness to invest in a new engine is a glaring sign of what the future looks like. Lends credence to the rumors that they are just milking what they can until they can sell the company.
Lets just wait and see how Starfield looks before we draw any conclusions. Yes the engine is old and yes it has alot of flaws but it is also fact that this engine is the only one that supports their type of games. That doesn't mean they shouldnt be using a new engine but in order to stay true to their core they have to make a new one from scratch and build it in a similar way to gamebryo so it can do the same things like gb does.

Blade2.0

I posted this in the Jim Sterling Bethesda is Obsolete thread, but I consider my post to be so awesome (Believe me!) that it was worth it's own thread.

If Bethesda wants me to regain faith in them, they can do one (well technically two) thing:

Re-release Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas on current gen consoles complete with mod support. Have it done by the same team who ported Skyrim. After playing The Outer Worlds, I BADLY want to play it on consoles again on my OLED.

If Bethesda did that, they should consider providing both of those games free to Fallout 76 subscribers, where they can use the atom points in all 3 games instead of just Fallout 76. Not that atom point mods are anything special, but the mods they can buy with them do allow you to still earn achievements and trophies

There it is Bethesda:

A get out of jail for a small fee card.

p.s. I know some of you can't help yourselves, but please don't respond with "get it on PC." The PC versions of these games run like ass and are non-stop crash fests. I'd much rather both games get ported to the latest version of Gamebryo and run on current gen consoles as well as Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE did (at least for me).

Of course, keep the option to purchase both games separately for those who want nothing to do with Fallout 76.
They could do that or they could get rid of the fucking subscription all together and actually implement the road map plans they had to begin with.

Blade2.0

This is actually a good comparison except that when square realized they fucked up big on FFXIV, they closed it down and went back and overhauled it into a realm reborn which is probably one of the best MMOs ever made. Bethesda, after fucking up, put road maps on ahiatus and released a subscription service that deletes your fucking scrap permanently from the game for using it. And asked for 100$ for the fucking opportunity. To the OP, if they want redemption, then make 76 something with giving a shit about or just close it the fuck down

Last edited:

EDMIX

This is actually a good comparison except that when square realized they fucked up big on FFXIV, they closed it down and went back and overhauled it into a realm reborn which is probably one of the best MMOs ever made. Bethesda, after fucking up, put road maps on ahiatus and released a subscription service that deletes your fucking scrap permanently from the game for using it. And asked for 100$ for the fucking opportunity. To the OP, if they want redemption, then make 76 something with giving a shit about or just close it the fuck down

I'm not saying nothing is wrong with F76 or FFXIV etc, I'm simply saying asking for this redemption in another titles like Fallout 3 doesn't make sense. Your point is a good point too, simply not what I'm saying.

So yea, Fallout76 can have redemption and good will back by actually correcting issues with Fallout 76 like you stated vs here is Fallout 3 and New Vegas remaster, 2 titles that have nothing to do with the issues with Fallout 76.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So yea, Fallout76 can have redemption and good will back by actually correcting issues with Fallout 76 like you stated vs here is Fallout 3 and New Vegas remaster, 2 titles that have nothing to do with the issues with Fallout 76.
I admit I failed to make that point, but I never implied that Bethesda shouldn't make every effort to get Fallout 76 to be better, but just offer the first two games instead. They should do both.

My argument was that if Bethesda wanted to incentivize/reward those who took part in the subscription they could offer New Vegas and Fallout 3 remastered as an added bonus. Such a thing could be a way to get people to check out the subscription service. I can only speak for myself, but I'd definitely consider buying a subscription for 2-3 months, using that time to play New Vegas/Fallout 3 and perhaps curiously checking out Fallout 76. That's just me, though. Of course, I'd probably just buy Fallout 3/New Vegas outright.

EDMIX

offer the first two games instead.

What instead? The team likely porting or remastering those 2 games has NOTHING to do with Fallout 76. I agree they should do both as in remaster those 2 games and correct Fallout 76, but I don't see this as a "instead" situation. They just have nothing to do with each other. Even if we get those 2 remasters, Fallout 76 failing likely has absolutely nothing to do with it. They don't need some sort of reactionary excuse to make money. That is the point of their company, to make as much money as they can.

That would be like saying Fallout 76 succeeded and guess they are so happy, they want no more money, thus no Fallout 3 or New Vegas remaster or something.

if Bethesda wanted to incentivize/reward those who took part in the subscription they could offer New Vegas and Fallout 3 remastered as an added bonus.

I disagree. If its good, it should be bought on the merit of it actually being worth the price, not simply something used for folks to buy just to get Fallout 3 and New Vegas remaster. So Bethesda needs to work on Fallout 76 similar to what we saw from FFXIV and I think they are on the right path tbh. They have corrected many issues and still have a ways to go.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If its good, it should be bought on the merit of it actually being worth the price, not simply something used for folks to buy just to get Fallout 3 and New Vegas remaster. So Bethesda needs to work on Fallout 76 similar to what we saw from FFXIV and I think they are on the right path tbh. They have corrected many issues and still have a ways to go.
I believe that Fallout 76 is well past the point where being good isn't going to be near enough to generate good will and bring in a significant amount of new players. I just think the damage has been done and they will need to do something to convince people that Fallout 76 is better and worth checking out.

Top Bottom