• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One will protect you, the other nine are coming to kill you...

Permanently A

But Batman has 2 days prep time. He has 2 days ahead of everyone else including the Flash. Even if the Flash can travel through time, Batman knows that and can prep, phase through objects, prep. The Flash isnt invincible and Batman is ruthless as fuck. Personally I wouldn't want Batman after me.

Okay so with prep time how does Batman prevent Flash from going back in time before the 2 days of prep time when Batman still isn't aware of this scenario and stealing his speed leaving him completely paralyzed in time?

Superman was my first choice... but then again, he was taken down by Batman in the past. I guess prep-time Batman would be a good choice... but Wonder Woman may also be a wildcard in this selection too.

Out of the Marvel characters I might go with Iron Man if Tony Stark is willing to build me one of those suits. I really don;t imagine Wolverine being very reliable... he would probably get sick of me and fuck off somewhere else.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Okay so with prep time how does Batman prevent Flash from going back in time before the 2 days of prep time when Batman still isn't aware of this scenario and stealing his speed leaving him completely paralyzed in time?

Even if he wasn't aware of the specific scenario 2 days before, he has long since been prepared for an attack by a JL member, which is essentially what you're describing.

IconGrist

Even if he wasn't aware of the specific scenario 2 days before, he has long since been prepared for an attack by a JL member, which is essentially what you're describing.

That still doesn't mean a Flash looking to kill (even if he's not trying to kill Batman) wouldn't just steamroll right over Batman. We're talking about a character who can time travel. That means every time he fails he can just try an alternate path until he succeeds. Unless Batman kills Flash he can set 100 traps but Flash can make 101 attempts.

The Flash. He could just dump me 500 years into the future or into another Earth or something. I'm not afraid of a Batman that would kill because that's not the real Batman, just some pretender.

Also, Robin being on this list is hilarious.

Calabi

Batman has two days ahead of the Flash, Flash going back in time cant undo that, all Batman has to do is slip something in his drink to knock him out for the duration, or maybe he even recruits an ally the reverse Flash? Anyway if its so easy for the Flash to solve everything by going back in time, why doesnt he just do that all the time.

The Flash cant go back in time before these events and kill you because that would be a huge paradox.

Arguing that Black Panther is irrelevant

Is named LegendofDragoonLives
My name is obviously taking the piss. You gonna look up my post history from 3 years ago or find a grammar mistakes next?
He has let villains kill all of his family and friends at least once, some of them twice. Not a good record.
I already accept that Goku will not save me. But with Dragon Balls, Imback.gif ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

_Ryo_

I'm picking myself. All the others are fictional characters whilist I exist in reality.Ergo none can protect me.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That still doesn't mean a Flash looking to kill (even if he's not trying to kill Batman) wouldn't just steamroll right over Batman.

Sure. Flash would present a challenge. Most of Batman's solutions to the Flash problem aren't all that in the comics. A competently written Batsy could probably take him. That's, like, his whole shtick.

Remember that in this piece, Flash takes the role of antagonist, so the laws of narrative causality are on Batman's side here. 😉

We're talking about a character who can time travel. That means every time he fails he can just try an alternate path until he succeeds. Unless Batman kills Flash he can set 100 traps but Flash can make 101 attempts.

If Flash fails once, what makes you think he gets an automatic redo? It's not like he'd be allowed to just walk away. A containment plan would need to be in place. Flash ain't travelling through anything without kneecaps
(I know about his healing abilities, but you don't want to know how I'd get around that 😈)
, or if he's cryogenically frozen.

Or on a Hamster Wheel.

If in this scenario, Batman has prep time, then I choose him easily. But either way, I'd still lose. People under-estimate how smart superman is, and if superman is teamed up with Iron Man and Captain America who are really good strategists, then it's a wrap.

He has let villains kill all of his family and friends at least once, some of them twice. Not a good record.

Well honestly DC and Marvel has a bad record with that, and pretty much is worse off when it comes to people getting murked. The whole Marvelverse died at least once and the recent Secret Wars had universes colliding into itself. DC had a bunch of events where you can stuff universes worth of bodies into fridges. Majin Buu only destroyed all life on Earth once. Though in Super, Xeno can delete universes and timelines but apparently he does that crap in a bad mood on a whim.

Suffice to say, I actually think Goku wishing you back with the Dragonballs is a safe bet compared to what happens to other heroes. Problem is having him give a fuck about you, he will let a universe die so he can fight someone for shits and giggles.

Tobor

"Prep time Batman" is so fucking annoying. Go read the laughing fish and tell me how much better that story would be if Batman could just bullshit prep time his way out of it.

MightyKAC

Batman for one simple reason.

If he's trying to protect you (with 2 days of prep time AND Alfred no less) against an "A" list of superheroes, the most powerful of which he has intimate knowledge of, you stand a pretty fair chance of living.

However if he's trying to hunt you down and take you out with his pretty much unlimited resources and vast network of contacts to do so then nothing and no one in this world would be able save you from him.

Put simply, the best reason to make the Bat your ally is because you won't survive him as your enemy.

Rooster12

Listen, every time Batman's prep has saved him it's been under these 2 scenarios:

1. Justice League being brainwashed.

2. Justice League taken by surprise out of nowhere.

There was never a situation where the Justice League were fighting him in their right mind. Ever.

People mention JL:Doom and Tower of Babel. Were the JL fighting Batman in that story? No. They were just minding their own business and got taken over by his traps.

However in THIS case, Superman + Flash + Iron Man + Robin + Cap + Spidey will KNOW that they're fighting Batman, and they're in their right frame of mind. They know what to expect from him. This a lot different, odds are heavily against Bats.

Calabi

Listen, every time Batman's prep has saved him it's been under these 2 scenarios:

There was never a situation where the Justice League were fighting him in their right mind. Ever.

People mention JL:Doom and Tower of Babel. Were the JL fighting Batman in that story? No. They were just minding their own business and got taken over by his traps.

However in THIS case, Superman + Flash + Iron Man + Robin + Cap + Spidey will KNOW that they're fighting Batman, and they're in their right frame of mind. They know what to expect from him. This a lot different, odds are heavily against Bats.

But those are the perfect odds for Batman and he knows that they know what to expect from him.

IconGrist

Sure. Flash would present a challenge. Most of Batman's solutions to the Flash problem aren't all that in the comics. A competently written Batsy could probably take him. That's, like, his whole shtick.

Remember that in this piece, Flash takes the role of antagonist, so the laws of narrative causality are on Batman's side here. 😉

If Flash fails once, what makes you think he gets an automatic redo? It's not like he'd be allowed to just walk away. A containment plan would need to be in place. Flash ain't travelling through anything without kneecaps
(I know about his healing abilities, but you don't want to know how I'd get around that 😈)
, or if he's cryogenically frozen.

Or on a Hamster Wheel.

Because there's nothing that says Flash couldn't wait 5 years after the fact to time travel. No one said his redos were limited to that day. It's time travel. He could do it whenever he wants. Batman cannot beat time travel.

What is to stop Flash from recruiting other versions of himself within the timeline? Or killing you before Batman knows to protect you. Even if Batman could somehow prevent Flash from attacking himself (which you are free to try and explain) Batman would not have planned for contingencies involving every single individual on the planet at any point within their lifetime.

Par Score

Without Prep Time, you have to pick the Flash, because he could get to you the fastest.

Any other choice and you're dead before most of the others have time to process the thought that they're meant to be killing / saving you.

Where in this scenario is that stated?

Bats has 2 days of prep and knows what's coming, why would he tell any of the rest of them anything?

This is the definition of taking them unawares, he can spend that 2 days knocking them out before they even realise they're meant to be killing me.

It's Batman.

You have to think of it in reverse terms. Who would Batman NOT fuck up with even more than 2 days prep time.
Yeah Flash might hide me in a parallel universe but with enough prep time Bats would trick Flash into believing I'd be in danger just to lead Bats straight to me.

Nah. Of all those heroes Batman is the most dangerous one to be hunted by.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Because there's nothing that says Flash couldn't wait 5 years after the fact to time travel. No one said his redos were limited to that day. It's time travel. He could do it whenever he wants. Batman cannot beat time travel.

Is that really The Flash's MO though; to wait 5 years to complete the mission by using time-travel? Barring the obvious murder requirement, let's at least stick with the spirit of the character, rather than just the ability set, eh?

Sure Batman can beat time travel. ;)

What is to stop Flash from recruiting other versions of himself within the timeline?

I think they'd be a bit suspect about Future Flash coming back in time telling them they need to kill someone. They'd probably fight for an issue. Or Present Flash would call on the pre-hit squad Justice League to solve the case.

Or killing you before Batman knows to protect you.

That begs a lot of questions. Is this at the point the contract is made or before? Does Flash know where I am?

Even if Batman could somehow prevent Flash from attacking himself (which you are free to try and explain)

I don't get what you mean here

Batman would not have planned for contingencies involving every single individual on the planet at any point within their lifetime.

Why would he need to? Ya lost me.

IconGrist

Is that really The Flash's MO though; to wait 5 years to complete the mission by using time-travel? Barring the obvious murder requirement, let's at least stick with the spirit of the character, rather than just the ability set, eh?

Then Flash wouldn't be trying to kill anyone in the first place and the whole scenario is moot. Why would Flash not use every tactic available to him especially if he was dealing with Batman?

Sure Batman can beat time travel. ;)

Feel free to explain how.

[/quote]I think they'd be a bit suspect about Future Flash coming back in time telling them they need to kill someone. They'd probably fight for an issue. Or Present Flash would call on the pre-hit squad Justice League to solve the case.[/quote]

Again, the scenario is moot with this line of thought. If you're getting 9 heroes to get on board with killing a civilian it must be for a pretty damn good reason and past Flash's would concur.

That begs a lot of questions. Is this at the point the contract is made or before? Does Flash know where I am?

Flash literally has all the time in the world to figure it out. Flash can turn 10 minutes into a month of prep time.

I don't get what you mean here

Why would he need to? Ya lost me.

You say Batman can beat time travel but are then confused when I ask you to explain how.

But those are the perfect odds for Batman and he knows that they know what to expect from him.
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

oGYbJ.gif

tenor.gif

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Then Flash wouldn't be trying to kill anyone in the first place and the whole scenario is moot. Why would Flash not use every tactic available to him especially if he was dealing with Batman?

I kinda covered that, didn't I? The bit that read something like: "Barring the obvious murder requirement". :D

Characters are more than their movesets. Let's take it holistically rather than reframing Flash as Professor Zoom/Reverse Flash.

Question: Has Flash ever been beaten?

Feel free to explain how.

On a case-by-case basis, of course! Let's take a specific scenario. Just one, I don't want to go too nuts.

If you're getting 9 heroes to get on board with killing a civilian it must be for a pretty damn good reason and past Flash's would concur.

How would Past Flash know it wasn't some kind of trick? It's a pretty big moral threshold to be asked to cross by someone claiming to be time traveller. Are those other heroes with him at the time? Are we sure it's a good reason, I'm generally quite likeable, at least in person. Sometimes.

Flash literally has all the time in the world to figure it out. Flash can turn 10 minutes into a month of prep time.

Cool, but did he come back to kill me before the contract or after?

You say Batman can beat time travel but are then confused when I ask you to explain how.

That's... not how it read. Then again, I'm not all that smart. See above.

You saw the wink, right?

...though I'm starting to think you're a wee bit more 'invested' in this than I am...

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So flash vs. Superman then?

Either one could kill you before any of the others could do anything about it. So you gotta go with one of them...

Rooster12

Where in this scenario is that stated?

Bats has 2 days of prep and knows what's coming, why would he tell any of the rest of them anything?

This is the definition of taking them unawares, he can spend that 2 days knocking them out before they even realise they're meant to be killing me.

Oh....so basically you're giving Batman all this prep so that he can pretty much knock out everyone else while they're drinking coffee. In other words it's Tower of Babel again.

If they're not gonna get a chance to fight back then it's not a very interesting scenario to begin with.

Ferrio

Banned
All those Marvel picks are duds, why even bother?

I'd go with Flash or Robin.

Robin because maybe they'll take pity on me for only having Robin.

Flash because he's OP.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Haven't seen this raised so far, is there a time limit? As in after one week it's over, or permanent?

And prep Batman sounds cheap. Either everyone gets prep, or no one.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Haven't seen this raised so far, is there a time limit? As in after one week it's over, or permanent?

Let's say....it'll only last for seven days. Afterwards the hypothetical rage virus that's making all the other heroes try to come after you will pass through their systems and they'll be able to return to normal.

prep Batman sounds cheap. Either everyone gets prep, or no one.

Batman being Batman, if selected as your choice, would be able to use his unrivaled detective skills to deduce what's about to happen with the other heroes and as a result would have more time to make preparations for protecting you. Not having Batman's analytical abilities and general mad-prepardeness, the other heroes won't have quite as big a natural headstart.

Calabi

Really Batman doesnt even need much prep time. Like he's smart enough to know he has no chance against the other hero's so he'll do the simplest most effective thing to protect you. He's not going to fight them.

He'll just change your identity. None of the hero's can protect you forever anyway and they are to confident in their abilities. They will slip up or make a mistake eventually. Batman has the resources. He will just hide you and give you a new identity, documents, untraceable, plastic surgery, new fingerprints, whatever else.

He'll change it so the only way any of the other hero's find you is if you slip up and make a mistake, like contacting someone you know. The other hero's will just run in circles trying to find you and eventually give up.

a.wd

Flash, then ww then bats. Wow supes only made 4, unless it's prime supes. That mother fucker is op ta fuck

Top Bottom