• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oninaki |OT| Better not pout better not cry

sublimit

Banned
3NJG0Zm.jpg

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Release Date: August 22 2019
Platforms:Switch/PS4/Steam
Developer:Tokyo RPG Factory
Publisher:Square Enix

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

TRAILERS and GAMEPLAY

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

STORY

Reincarnation is the foundation of our way of life. We celebrate the lives we’ve been given, and offer up prayers for the next.

It is grief of death which shackles the living, and causes the dead to stray. Indeed, there is no greater affront to reincarnation.

So do we turn our grief to joy as we send off the dead.

But the souls of those who held back their tears in life still need salvation in death. A duty that falls to the Watchers.

Their task is to guide the wandering souls known as the Lost, and serve as keepers of the Living World and the Beyond.

The Watchers sever the bonds that tie the Lost to this world, and send them on to the next. They navigate the emotions of the living and the dead. They prize life above all else.

This is the story of one Watcher.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2cLy0ul.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DAEMONS

Equip your character with special Daemon attacks enhancing your skills and abilities.

K6e1RR3.jpg

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

REVIEWS:
(i'll be updating this space)

Famitsu score: – 8/8/7/8 [31/40]

Thanks to Andyliini for the thread's subtitle!

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Does anyone who's already playing the game know what the Null stones do? One use is for getting Daemon skills in the skill tree (besides the regular stones) but i'm afraid to use them in case they have another use as well.

Also does anyone remember if there was a dash/dodge button (X) in the PS4 demo before the patch? I think the only way to dash was with the Aisha's dash attack. I honestly don't remember a proper dash move and it was actually one of the things some people criticized in the demo so it's nice to see there's a proper dash/dodge button in the main game.

Ivellios

This is a great OP!

Really looking forward for this game

I just hope my broken controllers dont get in the way too much

Last edited:

Exentryk

Does anyone who's already playing the game know what the Null stones do? One use is for getting Daemon skills in the skill tree (besides the regular stones) but i'm afraid to use them in case they have another use as well.

Also does anyone remember if there was a dash/dodge button (X) in the PS4 demo before the patch? I think the only way to dash was with the Aisha's dash attack. I honestly don't remember a proper dash move and it was actually one of the things some people criticized in the demo so it's nice to see there's a proper dash/dodge button in the main game.
Null Stones are for daemon skills and work for all daemons' skills, as opposed to a sword stone which only affects Aisha's skill tree. They didn't have another use in the demo.

Dash is Aisha's movement ability. Every daemon has a special movement ability - dash, jump, teleport, roll, etc. You can only have one of these depending on which daemon you've got equipped.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Dash is Aisha's movement ability. Every daemon has a special movement ability - dash, jump, teleport, roll, etc. You can only have one of these depending on which daemon you've got equipped.
You're right. Man i must have been very tired or sleepy when i played the demo because i completely forgot the dash was Aisha's ability. I did remembered Zaav's jump ability though. :p

Andyliini

I have not received my physical copy yet, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. I doubt this game will make any kind of splash, but to me, it marks the beginning of a busy fall of games.

Bullet Club

Oninaki review scores

cormack12

Gold Member
I downloaded this on PS4 (the demo), it's actually quite cool. Though, am I missing a trick when you get the second daemon? You have to smash the meteor attack but it's so slow moving it into range and that enemy just mashes you.

sublimit

Banned
I downloaded this on PS4 (the demo), it's actually quite cool. Though, am I missing a trick when you get the second daemon? You have to smash the meteor attack but it's so slow moving it into range and that enemy just mashes you.
Yeah it's a bit tricky that one as you need to time it carefully. Thankfully Zaav gets much better skills later on. And i love his regular attack.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Scores are all over the place. I think I'll import the JP version in the future.

sublimit

Banned

I agree with him that the dodge action should have been something that the main character could do on his own rather than being part of a Daemon move.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Made a spreadsheet for the game with data like Daemons, Skills, Weapons, etc. Beware Spoilers:

cormack12

Gold Member
Made a spreadsheet for the game with data like Daemons, Skills, Weapons, etc. Beware Spoilers:

Amazing - thanks for this!

EDarkness

I ordered the physical copy from Play Asia and I'm just waiting for that to come in. If it's like everything else I've ordered from there, I'll get it in about two or three weeks. Plenty of time to play through some other games I have coming. I loved the demo, though. This is by far my most anticipated game for some odd reason. Ready to dive into the full game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nice thread, this is a must buy JRPG regardless of reviews. Easy buy for me. This team has done such a great job with their JRPGs
Its flawed but pretty fun game, and I really, really dig the art direction in this game.

Bwesh

Been playing it for a bit. Slightly grindy, art is good, story is typical jrpg, gameplay loop is okay.

One thing I do though is play with cheat engine with a 2x speed. Normal speed feels too slow for me.

Fuz

Banned
Art style and the color used make this very confusing, judging by the trailers and pictures.

sublimit

Banned
Been playing it for a bit. Slightly grindy, art is good, story is typical jrpg, gameplay loop is okay.

One thing I do though is play with cheat engine with a 2x speed. Normal speed feels too slow for me.
I completely disagree. It feels very unique and fresh to me.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I really have a hard time to switch to any Daemon other than Zaav. I just love his moveset and his skills are just right for almost any enemy/boss situation.

So far my favorite Daemons in terms of skills/movesets are like this:
1)Zaav 2)Dia 3)Aisha 4)Izana 5)Wil 6)Zephyr
Maybe it's due to not having really focused on upgrading the skills of the last 3 so my order might change later on. But i just love Zaav so far!

Last edited:
This is definitely one my list to get. The combat feels similar to a more grounded Ys to me after playing the demo on the PS Store. I love the art style also.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Digging the game so far, though, I'm still in chapter 1

Although I enjoy Tokyo RPG Factory's games, the plots are always a little on the darker side, and kind of predictable standard JRPG tropes

Playing on Maniac the drop rate feels kind of high? I don't know if that feeling will change later in the game though
Almost have the first Daemon maxed =/

sublimit

Banned
The highest selling new release this week was Oninaki, which sold 14,189 retail copies on PlayStation 4 and 12,730 copies on Switch for a combined total of 26,919 units.

Yay for being #1 but sadly these are very poor sales. :(

Andyliini

It's a shame there was no interest in this game, but to ne honest, it could have been predicted for quite a while now. Square-Enix didn't market the game at all, and almkst sent it out to die.

Hopefully this will at least become a cult classic, as the art is gorgeous. I'm on the third mission now, and have been enjoying my time with it so far.

MagnesG

Banned
I've watched multiple written reviews as well as videos, I came to conclusion that the game is below average in story, mediocre gameplay but still fun to certain extent.
Gonna wait for sale for me. Still, I'd appreciate any further inputs on GAF, might reconsider joining the hype train.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I've watched multiple written reviews as well as videos, I came to conclusion that the game is below average in story, mediocre gameplay but still fun to certain extent.
Gonna wait for sale for me. Still, I'd appreciate any further inputs on GAF, might reconsider joining the hype train.
It IS a Tokyo RPG Factory game, and in my opinion, their stories aren't that crazy good to being with, so I expected that. Their stories are usually a little more anime-esque than your mordern RPGs/JRPGS.
The gameplay I wouldn't call mediocre, it is a lot of fun, but I also really enjoy isometric dungeon crawler like gameplay, so take that with a grain of salt

I will say I couldn't really see me sitting down and playing this on a PS4 other than for frame rate; I got it on the Switch and well, just like a lot of games I get on the Switch, they're all very easy to pick and play when you want then go do something else, so.

Top Bottom