• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

plidex

The questions aren't *so* useful i've found, mostly it lets you ferret out dealbreakers fast: conservatives, druggies, or people who are anti-nerd in my case. It doesn't really tell you who's good for you as much as who's not-bad for you.

So i'm in the DC Metro Area, 27-year-old early career professional with no plans to leave the area (probably ever, unless my future wife has a stronger career and needs to move somewhere for said career). Left-wing, nerdy, not into music at all, my ideal relationship right now would be something in the 3-12 month range, but i'm now at the point where i wouldn't say no to someone looking to settle, either. Not ugly (at least when my face is acne-free), but nothing to write home about either, mild case of dad-bod so shirtless photos aren't really an option for profiles, but i'm pretty "fit" otherwise.

I'm on OKCupid and have a Plenty of Fish account that's still set to Pittsburgh because i haven't bothered to update it yet.

So my question is, which other service should i be trying? Should i bother with Plenty Of Fish (which really seemed dominated by country girls and single moms back in Pittsburgh), or try Bumble or Coffee Meets Bagel? I tend not to like the idea of Tinder.

Yeah, I know it doesn't tell you that much, but it's better than other apps where you only know they find you attractive enough.

Scaring away the anti-nerds is reason enough, though I don't totally consider myself a nerd, I want to stay away from anyone who thinks nerds or geeks are losers. Saying that you love video games sometimes is enough to do that.

I used one app that tells you the people that you cross paths with, it tells you the general area, when it was, and how many times. Like I crossed paths everyday with many women that worked close to my office.

I can't remember the name, but I though it was a neat feature. In all other aspects it's like Tinder.

Jhoan

After reading this thread I decided to see for myself how is OKCupid because I loved the idea of having to answer questions and being matched by the answers.

I knew there would probably be very few women from my country. I was right, there are a handful.

Questions done, I have an 89% match with a girl that in the three pictures she has goes from normal to really cute. And it really looks like we are very alike. I sent her a message and now I'm in "Please respond" mode. She was online a month ago, so I have some hope.

There's another one with an 85% match but she is asexual. :/

And there's one with 91% but she is 18 and I'm 27, and I'm not really feeling her description, she is too artsy for my style. She likes video games though.
It sounds like you're giving yourself excuses not message her. You're not meeting your future wife so who cares? And even then, have fun with it because there's younger girls that are mature. Artsy chicks are totally up my alley as long as they're not pretentious hipsters.

A quick pro-tip: Answer questions every now and then during your area's boost time to attract women to your profile and/or update your profile once in a while. Updates appear on a Facebook style feed. It helps to explain your answers too so as to stand out.

The questions aren't *so* useful i've found, mostly it lets you ferret out dealbreakers fast: conservatives, druggies, or people who are anti-nerd in my case. It doesn't really tell you who's good for you as much as who's not-bad for you.

So i'm in the DC Metro Area, 27-year-old early career professional with no plans to leave the area (probably ever, unless my future wife has a stronger career and needs to move somewhere for said career). Left-wing, nerdy, not into music at all, my ideal relationship right now would be something in the 3-12 month range, but i'm now at the point where i wouldn't say no to someone looking to settle, either. Not ugly (at least when my face is acne-free), but nothing to write home about either, mild case of dad-bod so shirtless photos aren't really an option for profiles, but i'm pretty "fit" otherwise.

I'm on OKCupid and have a Plenty of Fish account that's still set to Pittsburgh because i haven't bothered to update it yet.

So my question is, which other service should i be trying? Should i bother with Plenty Of Fish (which really seemed dominated by country girls and single moms back in Pittsburgh), or try Bumble or Coffee Meets Bagel? I tend not to like the idea of Tinder.
Since you're in the DC area, you and Advocatus Diaboli should meet up and share stories. There's probably of more GAF members living in the area so maybe a GAF meet up in the future?

Personally for me Bumble has been a dud as a person of color unless you're handsome and take some damn good pictures. I've had more success on OKC and CMB although as I've mentioned quite often, the app doesn't notify users when they receive new messages in the latter app. It's an infuriating thing. Tinder has been hit or miss for me lately as well since I haven't met a girl from there in a while. Contrary to its reputation, people have found relationships out of it. Happn also sucks for me because I've never gotten any matches from there. Right now CMB has been dry for me.

I did an overview of all the apps in the OP along with advice. Good luck! Try not to let dating get you so cynical as it has to me because if you're like me, you'll be going on plenty of first dates. Also Philip Galanes, the New York Times Social Q's columnist, gave some advice on dating on the Leonard Lopate Show this past Thursday so it might be worth giving it a listen: http://www.wnyc.org/story/philip-galanes-updates-world-dating

---------------------------
I ended up messaging a bunch of girls on OKC last night after going on a Quickmatch spree. I don't think they got back to me because my messages were slurred and really dumb. I find it hilarious that women message me first after I match up with them but don't reply to messages when it's girls that lurk on my profile but don't "Like" me. OKC has veered more in the Tinder direction in that sense.

I also tried to meet up with the 20 year old girl who canned on me a few weeks ago since I was near her way. She cited being "busy" again so I don't think I'll ever contact her again since I deleted her number.

plidex

I have an 89% match with a girl that in the three pictures she has goes from normal to really cute. And it really looks like we are very alike. I sent her a message and now I'm in "Please respond" mode. She was online a month ago, so I have some hope.

So she hasn't gone online yet. Maybe she doesn't have notifications active, maybe she received the email with my message and didn't even bother going to OKC to see my profile.

I found her on facebook (yeah, I know I'm entering stalker territory), I'm considering sending her a message, worst case scenario, she read my message and doesn't want anything to do with me, so I'm in the same position as before, best case scenario, she didn't know about the message and is open to talking, another worst case scenario, she didn't know about the message but thinks I'm a creep and I lost my chance for being impatient.

If there were other girls on OKC I wouldn't care so much, but she is the only one there with whom I would go out. And I have no idea if she will ever login back, OKC is a ghost town in my country.

Her profile already gives me a base to know we can be compatible. I recompiled the most relevant questions were we answered the same. With how many women I have to go out on Tinder until I find one I have so much coincidences? I don't have the energy to go through that.

WP5ekpR.jpg

Look at the last question, maybe she is stalkery too?

This is her profile on OKC:

My self-summary

Sarcastic and passionate uruguayan architecture student and mathematics teacher. Avid reader and crazy about cinematography. Keen on meeting new people, travelling, and learning about new cultures.

What I’m doing with my life

At this moment of my life, dedicated to my career and academic growth. On free times, I enjoy watching movies from the best directors (Kubrick, Hitchcock, Scorsese, Aronofsky <3).

I’m really good at

Being sarcastic and making people laugh
Straightening my hair?

Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food

Big fan of Agatha Christie, JK Rowling, Ken Follet
Obsessed with Song of Ice and Fire

The six things I could never do without

My oldschool Nokia 1100 (which I use at the moment)

I spend a lot of time thinking about

Art, History, Maths, Asoiaf and ...Pizza?

So GAF, go for it or let it go?

PS: Sorry for the long post.

It sounds like you're giving yourself excuses not message her. You're not meeting your future wife so who cares? And even then, have fun with it because there's younger girls that are mature. Artsy chicks are totally up my alley as long as they're not pretentious hipsters.

A quick pro-tip: Answer questions every now and then during your area's boost time to attract women to your profile and/or update your profile once in a while. Updates appear on a Facebook style feed. It helps to explain your answers too so as to stand out.

You may be right, but I am trying to find a long term relationship (as hopeless as that can be), and I just can't see myself with her.

Makonero

If she hasn't been on OKC for a month, she's likely never coming back and she'll never see your messages. Facebook messaging her out of the blue is a terrible idea, it's creepy and weird.

Move on. Find someone else. No one will be a perfect match.

plidex

If she hasn't been on OKC for a month, she's likely never coming back and she'll never see your messages. Facebook messaging her out of the blue is a terrible idea, it's creepy and weird.

Move on. Find someone else. No one will be a perfect match.

That's what I'm thinking is the most probable scenario.

My doubt is, if all is lost, what do I lose by messaging her on Facebook? That maybe someday I'll cross her on the street and I'll be that creepy dude? That I may be bothering her?

Jhoan

Messaging an OKC match let alone from a girl from any online dating service on Facebook is a bad idea. The likelihood of the girl reading the message is pretty slim because messages always go to the Other folder if you're not friends with the person.

Even then, it's just one girl out of thousands others that you could be messaging on OKC. I agree with GK86 to shoot her another message on OKC and move on. It's all a numbers game.

plidex

Messaging an OKC match let alone from a girl from any online dating service on Facebook is a bad idea. The likelihood of the girl reading the message is pretty slim because messages always go to the Other folder if you're not friends with the person.

Even then, it's just one girl out of thousands others that you could be messaging on OKC. I agree with GK86 to shoot her another message on OKC and move on. It's all a numbers game.

I could be messaging thousands if I wanted a long distance relationship, which I don't. There are 18 girls that are 100 km (60 miles) or closer, have been online in the last month, and are in my age range.

You are right about the Facebook inbox though.

As I said, I don't want to use Tinder, so I guess I'll have to go old school if I want to find a girlfriend.

Ogodei

Didn't know bumble was app-exclusive. That's the other bad side of Tinder for me: i hate/never use apps, don't like to waste phone battery, and nothing i do with my phone never leads me to feel like i'm better served than just doing the same thing on a real computer (i am an immense iconoclast when it comes to phones). How do i move pictures onto my phone?

Also doesn't seem to be loading anything for me (hit an error when i try "settings," but maybe it takes a bit of time to calibrate or something.

That's what I'm thinking is the most probable scenario.

My doubt is, if all is lost, what do I lose by messaging her on Facebook? That maybe someday I'll cross her on the street and I'll be that creepy dude? That I may be bothering her?

Only your self respect

I could be messaging thousands if I wanted a long distance relationship, which I don't. There are 18 girls that are 100 km (60 miles) or closer, have been online in the last month, and are in my age range.

You are right about the Facebook inbox though.

As I said, I don't want to use Tinder, so I guess I'll have to go old school if I want to find a girlfriend.

Time to move, brother.

Ogodei

Alright, finally got Bumble to load. Now i'm just confronting the fact that my gamer's instinct for inverted controls is screwing with me (start left, swipe right, counts as a right swipe, which makes perfect sense but is fighting me on muscle memory).

So now i just swipe right on anyone that looks cool and wait for a match, yeah?

Does seem a lot less labor intensive, especially since it's all on them to make the first move.

Only thing is getting my photos over. It only magnetizes "profile pictures" from facebook, still don't know how to put pictures on my phone that i didn't take with my phone.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Swipe right for yes. Swipe left for no.

As for pictures, either upload them to Google photos, Facebook, Dropbox, then access from your phone and download them.

Is Tinder's location system malfunctioning for anyone else? For the past week under my settings my location has been "loading". So I'm out of town yet I'm still only swiping girls from my hometown. My wi-fi is on too.

No, don't send her a message on Facebook. Do you know why online dating can be scary and intimidating for women? Because of guys who send her unwanted messages with the exact reasoning you're using.

worst case scenario, she read my message and doesn't want anything to do with me,

Ever read one of those articles on people who create fake profiles and get bombarded with messages that aren't fit to print? Don't be that guy.

Jhoan

What do you guys mean by Bumble "forces them to make the move"? I've never used it, am curious...
Women have 24 hours to break the ice and message guys first after getting matched up. If those 24 hours expire, then you have the option of using one extension per day to extend the chat. Women are selective as is so Bumble makes them even more selective.

Whereas on Tinder both sexes can initiate a conversation and there is no 24 hour time window. See Kanik's post for an example as to how it looks and the low amount of effort women put into messages: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229737159&postcount=12918

Ogodei

Swipe right for yes. Swipe left for no.

As for pictures, either upload them to Google photos, Facebook, Dropbox, then access from your phone and download them.

Thanks. I'm barely literate on my phone, like i said. Prefer PCs so much.

So I'm guessing I've just been dumb this whole time and not realized how Tinder gets the mile range you are from someone. For whatever reason I figured it looked at pure distance and then location with roads, but I'm guessing they literally just measure in a straight line from you to them, and not take into account the roads to get there? This is because I have a date Saturday but the college she's at is 12 Miles farther away on google than what Tinder has her at as the distance from me. I've never had such a big difference with other people and what their profile says on tinder, it's always been right or off by like 1 mile below/over.

plidex

No, don't send her a message on Facebook. Do you know why online dating can be scary and intimidating for women? Because of guys who send her unwanted messages with the exact reasoning you're using.

Ever read one of those articles on people who create fake profiles and get bombarded with messages that aren't fit to print? Don't be that guy.

While I don't think it's fair to compare me with people who send disrespectful messages, I get your point.

Question about match.com. If they say they dont pay and have an email to contact then on their summary, is it always a scam or is there a chance it can be real?

I almost feel bad for "ugly" girls on bumble. They get listed between models lots of the time. The contrast is big.

I got 5 matches on bumble wow. 1 of them even wrote (and she's cute) and for the moment i have a conversation.

I almost feel bad for "ugly" girls on bumble. They get listed between models lots of the time. The contrast is big.

I got 5 matches on bumble wow. 1 of them even wrote (and she's cute) and for the moment i have a conversation.

Bumble is kind of crazy because it actively seems like there are 10x more SUPER attractive people on it compared to any other app. Like you said, it's like nothing but people who look like models.

I've never had any success on it despite having a lot of matches, literally the only way I've gotten a girl to actually message me is by extending the conversation so it expires an extra day later. I really don't think the app forcing girls to message first does it any favors, people still look for some way to make it so you're making the first move.

My theory is that they 1) seed the app with model-hot ladies, and 2) deliberately show you them first so you stick with the app. Shit is diabolical.

My theory is that they 1) seed the app with model-hot ladies, and 2) deliberately show you them first so you stick with the app. Shit is diabolical.

I don't think they're actively going out of their way to make profiles themselves, but number 2 definitely seems to be happening. Their system probably just looks at who is getting more likes/right swipes and then puts them closer to the top of the pile.

Question about match.com. If they say they dont pay and have an email to contact then on their summary, is it always a scam or is there a chance it can be real?

I wouldn't try and seek them out, sure there is probably 1 or 2 people who are actually real. But don't be surprised if you're suddenly on like 90 mailing lists.

Anyone who is putting effort into online dating and wants to do it for free, probably wouldn't try on a site that makes you pay for certain features.

Bumble is kind of crazy because it actively seems like there are 10x more SUPER attractive people on it compared to any other app. Like you said, it's like nothing but people who look like models.

I've never had any success on it despite having a lot of matches, literally the only way I've gotten a girl to actually message me is by extending the conversation so it expires an extra day later. I really don't think the app forcing girls to message first does it any favors, people still look for some way to make it so you're making the first move.

Hint: ask a question in your profile.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
My brother asked me if this girl who messaged him is a bot. She asked to hookup, he asked where she is, she gave coordinates to his old office. lol Because all New Yorkers use longitude and latitude to tell Tinder matches where they are!

General rule: If you think someone is a bot, send a weird gif and watch for the inappropriate response.

GgZTi7S.png

They basically want your e-mail or phone number to sell off.

I like to think this is what's going through the heads of women on Bumble who match with me but never send a message. &#128579;

Thanks. I'm barely literate on my phone, like i said. Prefer PCs so much.

You could always remedy this by using an android emulator like Nox on the PC - heck you could even record a macro of "swipe right".

There's also a Tinder Chrome plugin called Flamite. Lets you swipe and archives all your matches, generating individual webpages for each one that you can talk to them through or, if you ever restart your account, you could rematch with them easily. It also creepily retains the feature of showing you when they last logged in.

While I don't think it's fair to compare me with people who send disrespectful messages, I get your point.

My advice on that subject: don't FB message anyone you haven't spoken to yet unless you either both liked each other on a paying app (i.e. couldn't have a conversation) or you both spoke to each other but something happened that interrupted the conversation (like someone's phone broke or it was CMB where conversations expire) But generally it will go to the other folder, is seen as creepy by many and overall not worth the effort.

Try not to get hung up on anyone you find that you haven't started a conversation with though. It's easy to read a profile and think "OMG DREAM WOMAN" but you really don't know anything about the person. It's just a persona they put out there. Furthermore, they may not feel the same way about you and falling from a high like that hurts.

Also, my general rule is that if she hasn't logged in for at least two weeks, she likely isn't open to dating or actively looking so it's a long shot. Definitely not something to put stake into.

This was a workaround for paying sites from about 10 years ago. I feel like anyone doing that now is scamming. Like, if you don't want to pay, why would you give out your e-mail instead of joining a free site? You could probably look up their username or use google image search, punch in their pic and find their profile on a free-to-message site like PoF or OkCupid.

I think Match.com's reputation currently is that requiring payment means it's filtering out people who don't have disposable income. I know someone who hilariously used it to find herself a sugardaddy.

Razilez

So what do people find to be the most effective openers when messaging a girl? I'm not much of a flirty person until well into a conversation, so I tend to go for the honest route first. What has been most successful for you?

Xun

Out of curiosity, do any of you guys have an "anthem" on Tinder? I was tempted with Marvin Gaye's "Inner City Blues", but I'm not sure if that's too cliche...

Great song though!

What's a good first date for a total stranger? Is coffee too boring and cheap?

Been talking to this girl, but asking very dry and boring questions and trying to be a little funny, her responses are detailed so I appreciate the time she gives me, but Im not able to break out and have a normal text convo. Seems the best thing to do is just try and meet her

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Head to a bar. I usually limit myself to two drinks so the bill doesn't get out of hand.

Park and ice cream or park and hot chocolate.

Museums are usually pay what you want.

Comedy shows (at least in NYC) run $10 a ticket.

Head to a bar. I usually limit myself to two drinks so the bill doesn't get out of hand.

Park and ice cream or park and hot chocolate.

Museums are usually pay what you want.

Comedy shows (at least in NYC) run $10 a ticket.

Hm what about ripleys aquarium? Shes into books so I dont know if she'd be into soemthing like that

What's a good first date for a total stranger? Is coffee too boring and cheap?

Been talking to this girl, but asking very dry and boring questions and trying to be a little funny, her responses are detailed so I appreciate the time she gives me, but Im not able to break out and have a normal text convo. Seems the best thing to do is just try and meet her

I think coffee is a good one, don't need to spend much and see if the date is worth it for other things later on. It's simple and the environment is usually good and comfortable (cafe).

I think coffee is a good one, don't need to spend much and see if the date is worth it for other things later on. It's simple and the environment is usually good and comfortable (cafe).

This is what I want to hear haha. I guess Ill just ask for that and hope its not too mundane. Said shes met lots of peoppe off okc so Idk if thats lame of me but Ill see if she's even interested to begin with

Edit: crap I forgot I already askes if shes been to the aquarium. Now ill have to segway out of it. Sounds like a good second date Though

Sigh. Talking with older women on OkCupid has proven sorta frustrating so far. I've had two women who I was really hitting it off with over text cancel dates because their work lives were so hectic.

(Before anyone says it - I know that's a common excuse used to let people down gently, but I'm fairly sure both women were genuine about this? The first one actually deleted her account and took herself out of the dating game completely, and the second assured me multiple times that she hadn't lost interest and would hit me up when things calmed down.

Posted this a few weeks back. The bolded lady ended up messaging me out of the blue yesterday, and now we've got another date scheduled for next weekend. What a pleasant surprise!

Shanlei91

Posted this a few weeks back. The bolded lady ended up messaging me out of the blue yesterday, and now we've got another date scheduled for next weekend. What a pleasant surprise!

Hopefully it turns out to something great.

By some dumb coincidence I've scheduled a date for next Tuesday. The girl made a joke about agreeing to meet up that day on the condition that we don't acknowledge the day. I honestly don't care about the occasion and even if I was in a relationship, I wouldn't put any emphasis on it either. It's just another day for me. The cynicism is strong in this one.

Did you end up joining a blood cult?

Jhoan

So what do people find to be the most effective openers when messaging a girl? I'm not much of a flirty person until well into a conversation, so I tend to go for the honest route first. What has been most successful for you?
You got a bunch of advice in the Dating-Age thread but GIFs work well on Tinder for the most part unless you steal some witty openers from Tinder Reddit. On sites like OKC and POF I usually find asking about the story behind a picture that catches my eye occasionally successful. Random messages that are absurd also work.
Out of curiosity, do any of you guys have an "anthem" on Tinder? I was tempted with Marvin Gaye's "Inner City Blues", but I'm not sure if that's too cliche...

Great song though!

you-serious-o.gif

Honestly I never put any music to get myself in a Tinder mood. It's not something I've ever thought about. Elvis Presley's "A Little Less Conversation, A Little More Action" would suit Tinder well or The Heavy's "How Do You Like Me Now?"

tenor.gif

Did you end up joining a blood cult?
I wish I could say that I did but I didn't. It was a pretty tame date that lasted about an hour before the girl decided to call it a night because wanted to get to bed by 9pm. As much as I was trying to avoid talking about work, she yammered on and on about her job (she's an urban planner for the Port Authority) and how she had to work in the weekend but loved her job. I tried my best to show interest in her but I didn't get the impression that she was all that into me and I was feigning interest. She did make laugh hard once with a story that she told me about why she's baffled that there are two George Washington bridges in Manhattan.

I couldn't decide if I wanted to see her again or not and didn't want to deal with the whole "blah, blah there wasn't any chemistry" thing again so I ghosted her. I didn't hear from her either so I'll chalk it up to it being a mutual fade. Funny enough when I went to go get my bag the other day, I thought about her as I left the Port Authority. I think I'm getting tired of chasing after girls only to be met with rejection and disappointment so my cynicism is at an all time high.

I think I'm not 100% over the last girl I slept with because I occasionally think about it. Granted that it was only two dates of teasing and one "date" where I went back to her place because I was super late to the fourth date which was the last straw for her. I think that will go away once I sleep with a new girl. I just want to feel desirable again without going through the motions. Is that too much to ask for? I suppose increasing my standards has literally made it a taller order to fulfill since I'm only interested in dating girls of a certain height.

I've been talking to a 25 year old Indiana blondie on CMB that's constantly been replying so that seems promising. Another chick also messaged me initially on CMB that I haven't heard back from. I've also gotten mutual likes on OKC but nothing that's made me want to message them despite being interesting (one girl lives deep in Bushwick near the Queens border; the other lives in Williamsburg, has what looks like a yappy dog, and is 5'2''). The latter girl keeps visiting my profile. Tinder has been dry for me since I've gotten matched up with girls looking for attention but not much else.

Xun

you-serious-o.gif

Honestly I never put any music to get myself in a Tinder mood. It's not something I've ever thought about. Elvis Presley's "A Little Less Conversation, A Little More Action" would suit Tinder well or The Heavy's "How Do You Like Me Now?"
I'm talking about music you can have on your profile, unless you're referring to the same thing? I'm not talking about playing music whilst swiping. ;)

It's something I've noticed an increasing number of girls do, so I thought I'd partake as well.

http://blog.gotinder.com/tinder-is-swiping-up-the-volume-with-spotify/

Jhoan

I'm talking about music you can have on your profile, unless you're referring to the same thing? I'm not talking about playing music whilst swiping. ;)

It's something I've noticed an increasing number of girls do, so I thought I'd partake as well.

http://blog.gotinder.com/tinder-is-swiping-up-the-volume-with-spotify/

No, I was under the assumption that you meant music to play while swiping. I don't have a Spotify account so I can't really say. I haven't noticed any girls my area who have their Spotify connected to their Tinder account. I would think that most girls have a variation of Adele, Lady Gaga, or some other popular female singer. It sounds like what Myspace did before it went down except that it's not intrusive.

Shanlei91

I wish I could say that I did but I didn't. It was a pretty tame date that lasted about an hour before the girl decided to call it a night because wanted to get to bed by 9pm. As much as I was trying to avoid talking about work, she yammered on and on about her job (she's an urban planner for the Port Authority) and how she had to work in the weekend but loved her job. I tried my best to show interest in her but I didn't get the impression that she was all that into me and I was feigning interest. She did make laugh hard once with a story that she told me about why she's baffled that there are two George Washington bridges in Manhattan.

I couldn't decide if I wanted to see her again or not and didn't want to deal with the whole "blah, blah there wasn't any chemistry" thing again so I ghosted her. I didn't hear from her either so I'll chalk it up to it being a mutual fade. Funny enough when I went to go get my bag the other day, I thought about her as I left the Port Authority. I think I'm getting tired of chasing after girls only to be met with rejection and disappointment so my cynicism is at an all time high.

I think I'm not 100% over the last girl I slept with because I occasionally think about it. Granted that it was only two dates of teasing and one "date" where I went back to her place because I was super late to the fourth date which was the last straw for her. I think that will go away once I sleep with a new girl. I just want to feel desirable again without going through the motions. Is that too much to ask for? I suppose increasing my standards has literally made it a taller order to fulfill since I'm only interested in dating girls of a certain height.

I've been talking to a 25 year old Indiana blondie on CMB that's constantly been replying so that seems promising. Another chick also messaged me initially on CMB that I haven't heard back from. I've also gotten mutual likes on OKC but nothing that's made me want to message them despite being interesting (one girl lives deep in Bushwick near the Queens border; the other lives in Williamsburg, has what looks like a yappy dog, and is 5'2''). The latter girl keeps visiting my profile. Tinder has been dry for me since I've gotten matched up with girls looking for attention but not much else.

Sorry to hear it didn't go well. I'm kind of in a cynical mood too - have just been on so many dates with women whose personality I'm just not interested in and I kind of don't want to go on dates now. I keep getting matches on Tinder/Bumble/CMB/OkC but don't have a desire to ask them out or even keep up the conversation. It's almost like I'd rather go home, workout and watch tv instead of having to listen to someone's life story and think about how I can end the date early again. I think I'm in this weird dating limbo where I keep measuring the women I meet with my last ex, who I miss, but I ended that relationship because while it was fun it was a sh** show. So now my problem is that the women I probably would enjoy spending time with have no interest in ever having a family, and the women who are looking for that, who I've met, I haven't found interesting. I think me cutting my drinking down to 1-2 times a month is a huge cause of the phenomenon of me not wanting to keep trying. A boring date at a bar can be alleviated with more booze where as a bad coffee shop date calls for an early retreat.

I'm going to Pax East next week and the person I was going with bailed so I might just be the obnoxious Tinder tourist. Interested to see how that plays out.

Out of curiosity, do any of you guys have an "anthem" on Tinder?

Py41IKc.jpg

Jhoan

Sorry to hear it didn't go well. I'm kind of in a cynical mood too - have just been on so many dates with women whose personality I'm just not interested in and I kind of don't want to go on dates now. I keep getting matches on Tinder/Bumble/CMB/OkC but don't have a desire to ask them out or even keep up the conversation. It's almost like I'd rather go home, workout and watch tv instead of having to listen to someone's life story and think about how I can end the date early again. I think I'm in this weird dating limbo where I keep measuring the women I meet with my last ex, who I miss, but I ended that relationship because while it was fun it was a sh** show. So now my problem is that the women I probably would enjoy spending time with have no interest in ever having a family, and the women who are looking for that, who I've met, I haven't found interesting. I think me cutting my drinking down to 1-2 times a month is a huge cause of the phenomenon of me not wanting to keep trying. A boring date at a bar can be alleviated with more booze where as a bad coffee shop date calls for an early retreat.

I'm going to Pax East next week and the person I was going with bailed so I might just be the obnoxious Tinder tourist. Interested to see how that plays out.
My brother makes it a point to remind me that he once had a girl bail out on him 15 minutes into the date because he didn't look like she had imagined (I'm a slight hair taller than him and weigh about 20 pounds more) so things could be worse.

I think about meeting up with a girl versus watching a TV show, hitting the gym, or drawing instead as well. Funny enough, I got to draw and watch The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, andTower after the girl left so it was win-win for me. It's usually why I like to meet at the hotel near Columbus Circle if it's on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday night. If anything, I found it hilarious that she thought I was from Little Rock, AK which I found innocently ignorant (she's only been in the city for 8 months). I've gotten "I thought you were from California" a lot because of my hair.

I'm more interested in girls who's job doesn't define them and they're doing other things on the side e.g. volunteering at an organization. Traveling is cool but it's superficial. It's one of the reasons why I found myself attracted to that Jewish girl (besides the fact that she was after sex which was fine by me since I wanted more of it): Because in addition to her 9-5 at a non-profit, she was an activist and volunteered at an LGBT shelter which I respected the hell out of. She also didn't have any pets which is another plus I'm not a big fan them. I know better than to go back to her because I know that I would get burned hard. Even then, the fact that she was a very impatient and unforgiving person when she wasn't high meant that it wouldn't have worked out in the long run.

It feels like Groundhog Day where you're repeating a variation of the same stuff on different dates.In the end of the day, as cliche as it might sound, when you least go looking for it, you end up meeting a decent girl at an event that you hit it off with. My mom have jokingly said that she I find another girl to sleep with so that I can get ouf of the house.

I might be at PAX East after all this year depending if I get confirmation to work an exhibitor gig for the entire weekend so fingers crossed. I tried using Tinder in Boston for the last two years and got no dice. Although there was one girl on that I almost met up with on the Tuesday I had to go back to the city. Since Boston is the city with the highest density of students per mile, I'm sure you'll get some play. Especially if you're staying at an AirBnB versus a hostel. I'm going to Chicago to work at C2E2 in April so I'll be on Tinder every day that I'm there.

I've reached the point where just seeing the word "sapiosexual" on someone's OkCupid profile results in me immediately smashing the back button. I'll spend more time reading the profiles of women who openly admit they have herpes.

Jhoan

I've reached the point where just seeing the word "sapiosexual" on someone's OkCupid profile results in me immediately smashing the back button. I'll spend more time reading the profiles of women who openly admit they have herpes.
That's funny. There's way too many labels these days. Why does it make you bail out?

I'm closing in on a date with the 25 year old blonde. She told me her availability for this week so I'll set something up for today if not Thursday. It's too easy to set up dates.

I also got matched up with a 42 year old cougar on CMB and got the following message:

Hi there Jhoan, I'm in the same club with you---everyone pronounces my first name wrong. So much so that I've cut it to [nickname]. We should talk more about this. Also, when we go in a date, be prepared to have your mind blown...be careful what you ask for.

I smell a sexual innuendo already and she wastes no time asking me out! This sounds like it could be fun for a while so I'll play since I'm on a dry spell. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. The best part is lives in the same borough as me. I'll respond her and the other girl in the morning.

A year ago, I would have been intimidated to go out with older women. Then I went out with a 36 year old last summer and saw the light. They need some of that good loving too.

Shanlei91

Ugh, that's almost half of the profiles in NY on OkCupid. First sentence to introduce yourself, to sum it all up, your entire existence explained to a stranger - and you go with "Sapiosexual." It makes me feel old and non-hip every time I read it.

I smell a sexual innuendo already and she wastes no time asking me out! This sounds like it could be fun for a while so I'll play since I'm on a dry spell. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. The best part is lives in the same borough as me. I'll respond her and the other girl in the morning.

A year ago, I would have been intimidated to go out with older women. Then I went out with a 36 year old last summer and saw the light. They need some of that good loving too.

fmKOc3J.gif

Jhoan

I finally replied and offered my number to both women. Let's see what happens next. I'm not expecting much but in the words of the wise Ice T, fuck it.

Ogodei

Thanks for the tip about Nox, Kanik. I might leave it on my phone now that i figured out how to get outside photos on there, though. It's a good timewaster for when you're stuck out with nothing to do, like waiting for the bus or when the bus is stuck in traffic (i get motion sickness otherwise).

It feels like Groundhog Day where you're repeating a variation of the same stuff on different dates.

So true, just go on autopilot and can focus on conversation instead of thinking where to go/what to do. Trial everything on the proceeding dates and adjust to the feedback from the girls until you are at peak date efficiency. Bonus tip, pretend it's the first time you have been to a place or have not been there for years.

Top Bottom