• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnLive Launching June 17, $14.95 Per Month

Darklord

Banned
Fakto said:
MMORPGs ... you pay 15 $ to play a game that you bought, yes.
And btw, it's the biggest growing gaming genre.

If the DLC for the games on it is for free, then you can compare them. Otherwise, no.

Zinga

Banned
This whole thing seems doomed from the start, but as a PC gamer I relish building and owning my systems and would hate having to rent out something over the net.

How are they planning on profiting from this? Hoping that people buy subscriptions and then not use them? Is it gonna be like columbia house where they make it an ordeal to cancel your account?

snap0212

My Internet at home is about 1MB, so OnLive is not really an option for me anyways. At least not now.

I’m used to buying a console and then buy games for it that I can play, own, lend to a friend, and resell if I want to.
If a game is $60 at GameStop no way I’d pay more than $25 to "rent it" from OnLive. Because you will never own anything you've purchased there. Not only that but they can take away your "license to play this game" (which is what you actually get for your money) whenever they want. I want to be able to buy my games used, buy them cheap and have them “forever”.

edit: Dammit, I thought I used the edit-button. :(

Ricker

Does the 15 a month include all the hardware you need for this??? if it does,I might try it for a month,my PC is getting old but I don`t want to upgrade until the Old Republic MMO or Diablo III...

Mr Pockets said:
Well I have been using the service for the last 2 hours. I like it :D

hallowmonkey.gif

how is the lag? graphics? game selection? can you check how much internet does it use after like hour of playing game?

Dynoro

Ricker said:
Does the 15 a month include all the hardware you need for this??? if it does,I might try it for a month,my PC is getting old but I don`t want to upgrade until the Old Republic MMO or Diablo III...
Diablo III won't be on Onlive...

Mithos

Will the monthly fee include a fiber connection upgrade too?

Fakto said:

Wow some people are just doing it wrong...
Pay for a game, pay for upgrade and pay per month, what a ripoff.

Fakto said:
I hope I can subscribe to an MMORPG I bought using OnLive, and then pay $30 a month in subscription fees, plus whatever they charge for the title.

RPGCrazied

way to much.. 14.95$ a month, pluse fees to even rent/buy the games?

no thanks, should have been just a flat fee to begin with

Z_Y

SILVO said:
Bah, I wrote out a response but my computer fucked up and it didn't get posted, so I'm gonna Cliffnotes (Cliffsnotes?) it for you:

($50 game x 10 games) + ($500 computer) = $1000

($40 OnLive game x 10 games) + (4 years of Onlive at $12/month (yearly sub guesstimate)) = $976

The discount from the games will (hopefully) cancel out the sub fee, leaving you paying essentially the same price, except at the end of 4 years you won't have to shill out the cash for new hardware. This is dragging a $500 PC to the absolute end of its lifetime, 4 years without a single upgrade, while OnLive is periodically upgraded. Plus, the cost is spread over time, making it easier to pay. After all, that's why people have mortgages, right?

Overall, it doesn't sound like a bad proposition to me.

Just realized this, actually:

($50 game x 20 games) + ($500 computer) = $1500
($40 OnLive game x 20 games) + ($12/month for 4 years) = $1376

OnLive is comparatively cheaper the more games you buy.

I love when people do this and basically leave out the intrinsic value of you know....actually owning your shit. How about at the end of that 4 year span...I sell my computer and 20 games for >$124? What now?

*I'm ignoring the other problem that you actually need a PC to use OnLive. Sure...not the latest and the greatest....but PCs don't typically have decade long life spans. Shit other than games may require you (or at least make you want to) upgrade every 5 years or so.

demigod

SILVO said:
Bah, I wrote out a response but my computer fucked up and it didn't get posted, so I'm gonna Cliffnotes (Cliffsnotes?) it for you:

($40 OnLive game x 10 games) + (4 years of Onlive at $12/month (yearly sub guesstimate)) = $976

The discount from the games will (hopefully) cancel out the sub fee, leaving you paying essentially the same price, except at the end of 4 years you won't have to shill out the cash for new hardware. This is dragging a $500 PC to the absolute end of its lifetime, 4 years without a single upgrade, while OnLive is periodically upgraded. Plus, the cost is spread over time, making it easier to pay. After all, that's why people have mortgages, right?

Overall, it doesn't sound like a bad proposition to me.

Just realized this, actually:

($50 game x 20 games) + ($500 computer) = $1500
($40 OnLive game x 20 games) + ($12/month for 4 years) = $1376

OnLive is comparatively cheaper the more games you buy.

Why are people defending this shit? It's going to fail within a year. Lets stop making assumptions that games are going to cost less on OnLive. If you're going to compare the prices, at least do it right. A computer plus games is just that. You don't need internet connection to play offline games(besides ubishit). OnLive requires a good internet connection which will probably be in the $50 range and either a PC or TV.

Why do people keep bringing up MMOs? You don't own anything on there even though you bought the game. Everyone who plays MMO should already know this. You're paying a sub on MMOs to play the game. You can sell your account but the company still has a right to terminate it. With Onlive, you pay a sub and pay to buy a game which you won't even own, that's retarded. Why pay $60 to pretend that you own the game when you can actually pay that in retail and own it?

Here's my question, who here plan on subbing this for a year?

Dorrin

Lol great news for us who aren't crazy about companies trying to squeeze out rentals and the used game market.

To think I was actually concerned about this bullshit service. Bye Bye OnLive.

2San

Z_Y said:
*I'm ignoring the other problem that you actually need a PC to use OnLive. Sure...not the latest and the greatest....but PCs don't typically have decade long life spans. Shit other than games may require you (or at least make you want to) upgrade every 5 years or so.
Yup for 720p stream of video around 2,8ghz, 512mb ram, 64mb video card. Even then video doesn't displays smoothly most of the time.

We can already notice controller lag, with 30fps games. Just think about that with Internet lag. Noway are they going to support the whole motion control thing, hate it or love it, it is the future, which all adds to the controller lag.
And noway is Onlive is going to work without compression I can feel the artifacting coming already.
You also need a pretty expensive Internet connection that the most people don't have.
I know they are going for the cloud computing thing which isn't a bad idea for programs that aren't games, or graphic designing, etc. Though for games(and graphic designing) you need direct feed back that Onlive simply doesn't offer.

The creators themselves should've known this as well. This seems like an investment scam to me.

KillerAJD said:
Maybe it's just because I've been playing video games for so long, and have been familiar with them for years, but it just doesn't offer a good enough quality to control lag ratio for me. The games look OK at 720p, but even then, it looks like I'm watching a poorly encoded movie, especially when a lot of movement on screen is involved. On top of this, I just can't get over the disconnect control wise. Burnout Paradise feels OK (and I'm assuming other racing games as well), but everything else just feels janky. The pricing just seems ridiculous as well. $15 a month, PLUS the cost of the games? They are delusional if they think they are going to in business for more than a year. Then again, I'm more of a hardcore gamer, maybe somebody who isn't as familiar with gaming will find a use in it. However, like brain_stew said, I'd be happy to see it succeed just to see more games on the PC platform. Hell, the idea of playing Crysis on an iPhone like device is still something I'd love to see, but I just think having dedicated local hardware would be the better choice atm. I also think with more time (and more pressure on ISP's), it could probably be a decent alternative, but for me, I'll probably stay with my own rig.

Thanks for the impressions. I'm honestly very impressed that they can get playable results at all--that's quite a triumph on the tech side--but we all knew their claims were outlandish.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
crazy monkey said:
how is the lag? graphics? game selection? can you check how much internet does it use after like hour of playing game?
I can pretty much only say that I am IN the beta...not really allowed to discuss otherwise. NDA type stuff of course.

I was just hoping someone else here was on it as well ;)

SILVO said:
No, I doubt they (the publishers) would cut out consumers not using OnLive, it just makes sense for them to support a piracy-free format.

Errr, you clearly haven't thought this particlar talking point very well.

If the game is released in normal PC format, it doesn't matter if it's also released on OnLive, because the regular PC version will be pirated. If a regular PC version is released, the amount of piracy will stay exactly the same regardless of whether an OnLive version is released or not.

You know what I wondered is an average U.S. cable connection OK with this. I think its usually like 8.00 up .75 down or something like that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
JohnnyBabbles said:
I signed up for the pre-registration. Figured I'd give it a shot for $15 a month. Hopefully I'm part of the 25,000 pre-registrants so I can get the first 3 months for free.

You realize you still have to buy games, right?

Poorly spaced out announcements, or hurried remedy for pr disaster?

http://blog.onlive.com/2010/03/11/more-news-from-onlive/

So, I’m pleased to announce the OnLive® Game Portal, a companion offering to the OnLive Game Service that I described on my blog yesterday.

The OnLive Game Portal is for gamers looking for direct access to OnLive games without being required to subscribe to the features of the full OnLive Game Service. Through the OnLive Game Portal, gamers will be able to play select games directly on a rental basis as well as game demos for free; subject to available OnLive service capacity and whatever usage limits are associated with each given demo. Rentals will be priced on a per-game basis. There is no service fee for the OnLive Game Portal.

We think this is a great offering for gamers to try out games, or if they prefer, play games they’re interested in for a particular period of time. We also think it’s a great way to get a taste of the OnLive experience to see if they want to join the greater OnLive community on an ongoing basis through the OnLive Game Service.

Of course, like all games in the OnLive Game Service, games in the OnLive Game Portal start instantly, are always updated, and don’t require high-end hardware to play high-performance games. It only takes seconds to install OnLive’s small browser plug-in, and only seconds more before you’re playing a top-tier game. And, of course, OnLive Game Portal games will also play through OnLive’s MicroConsole TV Adapter on an HDTV.

The OnLive Game Portal will be rolled out in 2010 at some point following the June 17th OnLive Game Service Launch and will be subject to the Terms of Service applicable to that offering.

Oli

thetrin said:
You realize you still have to buy games, right?

The logic is that the console is free, you're just paying for it over time rather than dropping $300-$400 at once every few years.

Personally I prefer the latter.

Aaron said:
You can only rent select games through the portal.

And you can't buy any, and presumably wouldn't have access to things like spectating, posting "brag" videos, and whatever else they feel like roping off for the subscribers.

HadesGigas said:
Poorly spaced out announcements, or hurried remedy for pr disaster?

http://blog.onlive.com/2010/03/11/more-news-from-onlive/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, I’m pleased to announce the OnLive® Game Portal, a companion offering to the OnLive Game Service that I described on my blog yesterday.

The OnLive Game Portal is for gamers looking for direct access to OnLive games without being required to subscribe to the features of the full OnLive Game Service. Through the OnLive Game Portal, gamers will be able to play select games directly on a rental basis as well as game demos for free; subject to available OnLive service capacity and whatever usage limits are associated with each given demo. Rentals will be priced on a per-game basis. There is no service fee for the OnLive Game Portal.

We think this is a great offering for gamers to try out games, or if they prefer, play games they’re interested in for a particular period of time. We also think it’s a great way to get a taste of the OnLive experience to see if they want to join the greater OnLive community on an ongoing basis through the OnLive Game Service.

Of course, like all games in the OnLive Game Service, games in the OnLive Game Portal start instantly, are always updated, and don’t require high-end hardware to play high-performance games. It only takes seconds to install OnLive’s small browser plug-in, and only seconds more before you’re playing a top-tier game. And, of course, OnLive Game Portal games will also play through OnLive’s MicroConsole TV Adapter on an HDTV.

The OnLive Game Portal will be rolled out in 2010 at some point following the June 17th OnLive Game Service Launch and will be subject to the Terms of Service applicable to that offering.

Why didn't they tell us this earlier? At least we can play demos for free (or "select" demos). This feels like damage control

Aselith

Aaron said:
You can only rent select games through the portal.

Also, I'm gonna guess that they'll have considerably more limited bandwidth available through this portal so it'll be much less reliable than their paid service.

Fakto said:

They're not gonna pay your WOW subscription though so it'll $15 on top of $15 per month plus the cost of the game. We're talking at least $30 a month for the service when you get into MMO's.

thehillissilent said:
Why didn't they tell us this earlier? At lease we can play demos for free (or "select" demos). This feels like damage control

It no doubt is...but so what? They need to do damage control on this. No doubt they were saving it to be a bonus later but then realized they need it to sell the service. Some people might now wait until they can demo the service to see how it is before subscribing though so it might end up working against them. :(

Slavik81

benjipwns said:
Just like Steam, just like Impulse, etc. Even in cases where the publishers ARE the only one distributing (EA, Blizzard, etc.) the prices are not reduced during the launch period.

The only difference? In all those instances, the consumer is not paying a $15 a month premium just for the right to buy and access the games.
You're not paying $15/month for the right to buy the games. You're paying $15/month for their hardware. The point being that you could then use a crappy PC to play a game.

There's no way that you could play Portal *at all* on most of my friends' laptops, but though this service, might have a decently playable game because most of the work would be on their hardware. That's what you're paying for.

Whether it's actually worth that price to you is another matter, but it's not like they're trying to hose your or anything. I'm sure this service is going to be provided at (or even below) cost at first.

thehillissilent said:
Why didn't they tell us this earlier? At lease we can play demos for free (or "select" demos). This feels like damage control
I doubt it. They want to attract people to the service. Allowing them to play free trials of free demos is a good way to get people in.

I'll probably try it on a laptop. It might be worth it if it means I can rent an extra copy of Left4Dead and some decent hardware for a week while my university friends are back in town. It was hard finding enough gaming-capable computers to play 4-player. One guy had to play at 15-20fps. That sucked.

SILVO said:

The discount from the games will (hopefully) cancel out the sub fee,.

There isn't going to be a discount on the games, people need to stop believing this. Since publishers earn nothing from the subscription fee (that's for Onlive) they have absolutely no reason to discount their games. In fact, since you'll be restricted to one retailer and thus miss out on the bazillion of incredible game deals on the PC, you'll be paying more for your games over the course of a year. No one buys all their PC games at $50, sub $15 purchases make up the majority of purchases from your average PC gamer these days.

Not only that but your calculations factor in $500 worth of PC upgrades every year. There's no need to spend that much unless you need to be on the absolute bleeding edge, and if you were ever considering Onlive, then that simply must not be the case. A sub $100 videocard every 2/3 years will buy you Onlive quality gaming.

Aaron said:
The race to high spec has slowed down a lot in the past few years. My computer is 3-4 years old and it can run Crysis near maxed out with 60FPS. .

Make your point by all means, but there's no need to lie. 5870s weren't available 4 years ago.

SILVO said:
I won't be able to max the games out with a $550 computer,

At 720p, yes, you absolutely would. At the very least you'll be pushing much better quality than Onlive will be. You can buy a videocard for $160 that will absolutely demolish any game (Crysis and Metro 2033 included) at 720p. If you'd have been keeping up with PC hardware, you'd have known this already. Honestly, even an $80 5670 is more than enough for 720p these days, most PC games really aren't all that demanding. Onlive is a solution to a problem that has already been solved.

Ricker said:

The only "hardware" you need is a PC or Mac that can decode a 5mbps h.264 stream at better than real time speeds. If you can stream Youtube HD (720p) without any hiccups, you're probably good. You're going to probably want a 360 controller or something as well though, I doubt the lag is going to be tolerable with a kb&m setup.

Edit:

Onlive said:

The OnLive Game Portal will be rolled out in 2010 at some point following the June 17th OnLive Game Service Launch and will be subject to the Terms of Service applicable to that offeri

Now this is actually a great offering. Its going to be the only way to rent PC games, and, despite the quality, having that as an option for the PC platform, is great. If they ever roll out the service to the UK, even I as a staunch PC gamer, could forsee the odd occasion where I'd make use of this service. The ability to try out some demos without a lengthy download or install, at least, is pretty compelling.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible that they license their technology for a service like StreamMyGame? I want to own my games, but would also like to play them on my Netbook and Pandora (whenever that ships).

demigod said:
Me thinks the CEO forgot to mention the cost of OnLive Game Portal unless they plan on giving out free adapters to everyone.

You don't need an "adapter" to use the service. Your run of the mill PC/Mac with abroadband connection will suffice just fine.

Slavik81 said:
You're not paying $15/month for the right to buy the games. You're paying $15/month for their hardware. The point being that you could then use a crappy PC to play a game.

There's no way that you could play Portal *at all* on most of my friends' laptops, but though this service, might have a decently playable game because most of the work would be on their hardware. That's what you're paying for.

Whether it's actually worth that price to you is another matter, but it's not like they're trying to hose your or anything. I'm sure this service is going to be provided at (or even below) cost at first.

I doubt it. They want to attract people to the service. Allowing them to play free trials of free demos is a good way to get people in.

I'll probably try it on a laptop. It might be worth it if it means I can rent an extra copy of Left4Dead and some decent hardware for a week while my university friends are back in town. It was hard finding enough gaming-capable computers to play 4-player. One guy had to play at 15-20fps. That sucked.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but Valve aren't an Onlive partner, nor will they ever be.

demigod

brain_stew said:
You don't need an "adapter" to use the service. Your run of the mill PC/Mac with abroadband connection will suffice just fine.

Read it again, it says an adapter for HDTV. And how exactly do you expect your run of the mill PC/Mac to run it? That would make OnLive pointless.

demigod said:
Read it again, it says an adapter for HDTV. And how exactly do you expect your run of the mill PC/Mac to run it? That would make OnLive pointless.

If you have a Mac/PC you don't need the hardware since you already have it. If you want to simply use your TV then you need the console.

demigod said:

I don't need to read it again, you need to read it again. Of course this service support the Micro Console, just like the subscription service does and it'll run through a browser plugin just fine as well.

How exactly does a very limited service missing a lot of the key features (like actually being able to buy games, for a start), make the subscription service pointless!? Its a different tier, just like Silver is different tier to Live Gold.

Top Bottom