• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnLive thread of why you should be playing with us in the cloud

I understand the concern however keep in mind this "announcement of an announcement" is not coming directly from OnLive nor through any of their official channels (Facebook, Twitter, etc.). OnLive Nate does poke his head out every now and then at OnLiveFansForum but I'm sure what he can say about what they've working on is heavily restricted (NDA's and such). I do appreciate what little he does slip out though. I'm very interested to see what they've been cooking up this past year and if the survey they sent out is any indication of that then I'm sure it'll turn a "few" heads. Hopefully it'll reinvigorate your interest in the service as well!

Is it console related at all?

Enectic

Banned
Is it console related at all?

Not sure what the news coming is. I doubt Nate (who doesn't post very often) would of created an entire topic telling people to update their contact information and talking about important news unless it was at least somewhat substantial though.

Enectic

Banned
if we are going for hope! I know valve are making an announcement next week as well

Haha, that would be nice! Not holding my breath but it would be great if OnLive has been working with Valve. Keeping my expectations low though so I won't be disappointed if it's nothing too major.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Onlive is a bad idea in a universe with such a slow speed of light and it deserves its sad faith.

Even if they announce 1080p streaming and max graphic settings for all PC games (which would likely cost them double or triple the money on hardware and double their bandwidth costs), it would still not make the service worth it.

Latency is important for a vast amount of the most popular game genres (shooters, sports, fighters, racers) and this will never, ever, ever, ever change.

Onlive came into the market offering a
neat, technically impressive, yet ultimately
inferior product.

If we ever figure out a way to beat the speed of light, Onlive will make perfect sense.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Then you won't be a fan of Gaikai on PS4?

wuth

If we ever figure out a way to beat the speed of light, Onlive will make perfect sense.

If we ever figure out how to beat the speed of light, playing video games over the internet will be the least exciting result of such a discovery.

"Finally! We can stream games through the internet without any latency! A new epoch is upon us!"

Enectic

Banned
Onlive is a bad idea in a universe with such a slow speed of light and it deserves its sad faith.

Even if they announce 1080p streaming and max graphic settings for all PC games (which would likely cost them double or triple the money on hardware and double their bandwidth costs), it would still not make the service worth it.

Latency is important for a vast amount of the most popular game genres (shooters, sports, fighters, racers) and this will never, ever, ever, ever change.

Onlive came into the market offering a
neat, technically impressive, yet ultimately
inferior product.

I don't quite understand your post. Are you saying that if this universe had a faster speed of light then a service like OnLive might be a good idea? I've been using the service for over 3 years now and very rarely has the latency taken away from the enjoyment of a game (usually only when my home network became congested). If you look back at the recent posts you'll see we just completed a Super Street Fighter 4 AE tournament. It was a blast and everyone involved had a lot of fun. Look, if you don't like the service then that's just fine...don't use it. I'll be the first to admit it's not perfect and currently only appeals to a niche audience. To say a service deserves it's "sad faith", however, just because you find it "inferior" is being naive and selfish towards the people who do enjoy it and those interested in the service.

Missed it, is it steambox related? xD

Sorry, that post had nothing to do with the actual announcement. It was something I had to remove due to a request from one of the admins at OLFF. As far as the news...I'm hoping it drops next week. Nate has said on multiple occasions that big news was coming in the Fall. Well, Fall officially begins this Sunday :). Would be nice if it was Steam related but I'm not holding my breath. Anything is possible though :).

Dr. Kaos

Banned
I don't quite understand your post. Are you saying that if this universe had a faster speed of light then a service like OnLive might be a good idea?

Yep.

I've been using the service for over 3 years now and very rarely has the latency taken away from the enjoyment of a game (usually only when my home network became congested). If you look back at the recent posts you'll see we just completed a Super Street Fighter 4 AE tournament. It was a blast and everyone involved had a lot of fun.

Good for you! When I was 12, I had TONS of fun playing Street Fighter 2 on a broken Arcade machine running in black and white with only 3 buttons out of 6.

Look, if you don't like the service then that's just fine...don't use it.

Your wishes are my command.

To say a service deserves it's "sad faith", however, just because you find it "inferior" is being naive and selfish towards the people who do enjoy it and those interested in the service.

Naive and selfish? Me? HOW DARE YOU? I am as generous as I am cunning and worldly. You take those words back RIGHT NOW!

I did say that it was a neat and technically impressive feat. I have nothing but admiration for all the amazing computer engineers who made the service work as well as it did.

Onlive can work just fine for slow-paced games. But it remains inferior and a bad idea in an already saturated market with several excellent alternatives. In capitalism, bad products are supposed to fail. That's what I meant when I said it deserved its fate.

Enectic

Banned
Yep.

Good for you! When I was 12, I had TONS of fun playing Street Fighter 2 on a broken Arcade machine running in black and white with only 3 buttons out of 6.

Your wishes are my command.

Naive and selfish? Me? HOW DARE YOU? I am as generous as I am cunning and worldly. You take those words back RIGHT NOW!

I did say that it was a neat and technically impressive feat. I have nothing but admiration for all the amazing computer engineers who made the service work as well as it did.

Onlive can work just fine for slow-paced games. But it remains inferior and a bad idea in an already saturated market with several excellent alternatives. In capitalism, bad products are supposed to fail. That's what I meant when I said it deserved its fate.

Well, by your responses I can tell you've obviously already made up your mind about the service and I'm not going to try and change that. I find your comparisons a bit out there (speed of light, broken arcade cabinets, etc.) and do not share your opinion of the service. I think it's a great idea in a consumer market where there's really nothing like it (cloud gaming). Additionally for people who don't own a console and only have a low end PC/Mac there really isn't any cheaper alternative. Apparently a few console manufactures also think cloud gaming is a good idea (Microsoft and Sony). It works fine for me but there's definitely room for improvement. Remember the first touch screen devices, first tablets, first laptops? Their first iterations were not the greatest but I'm glad the technology stuck around and continued to improve.

Enectic

Banned
Been a while since I've posted in this topic! So it turns out the Steam announcements had nothing to do with OnLive and the tease by OnLive Nate was about an email going out inviting certain people to apply for OnLive's ambassador program. This was the email sent out a few weeks ago:

We’re assembling a small team of our fans and longtime players to become OnLive ambassadors. This team will be an important communication channel, funnelling feedback to us from the community and helping us spread the good word about OnLive. We’re inviting you to apply to be a part of this elite group. If selected, you’ll have the inside track on news and updates from OnLive and some special perks.

OnLiveFansForum has combined with OnLive HQ and are now one site. It's still a little rough but it's a great start and can only get better! Check it out here!

OnLive HQ is holding a contest to rename the ambassador program with the winner receiving $100. See full details here.

Another interesting tidbit, a forum member (Namko) noticed that OnLive has removed almost all mention of the microconsole from their website. The only thing you can buy from the site right now is the universal controller. OnLive gave us a little info and stated:

In advance of the upcoming release, we felt the Microconsole will need updating that we will address after the launch.

Sounds like there might be a new microconsole on the way.

Finally another email was sent out today (subject is "We love you, too!") and is the most interesting peice of news so far. I think if you submitted an application for the ambassador program then you should get one. Here's the email in it's entirety:

9z1zgdqqkebmqt39oo9g02coiul2gf3uel14rnshp28

eml_hd_thanks_img_2.jpg

Dear Enectic,

Thank you for applying to be a part of Onlive’s new ambassador program. We haven't made final selections yet, so stay tuned. We got a lot of great applicants, and we’re really excited to see how fired up you all are!

Meanwhile, we wanted to thank you for being awesome and sticking with us. We’ve been hard at work on a major update to the game service for you. Because you’ve been so loyal and given us such great feedback, you are invited to be among the first to see the new game service before it’s released to the general public. We’re not announcing the date yet, but you’ll get an email invitation as soon as it’s ready.

For now, here are a few fun things you can download to give you a sneak peek into what’s coming:

Desktop Wallpapers
Screensaver (Windows)
Screensaver (OSX)
“Particle Blaster” Flash game

We’ve also included a coupon code you can use for $10 off your first game on the new Onlive. It’s only good on the service after the big update, so don’t try to use it yet—wait till we say “go”.

XXXXXXXX

Watch your email for more news about the ambassador program and the new service update.

Keep on gaming!

Your friends at Onlive

Some very interesting things about this email.

1. It seems the logo has been changed and the name has underwent slight revisions as well (from "OnLive" to "onlive").

2. The tablet in the picture is that of an iPad mini. The mini came out less than a year ago. Could onlive be hinting that an iOS release is finally coming?

3. The wallpapers and screen saver seem to indicate a more customizable UI. Not sure exactly how customizable but the shifting colors seem to show that at least everything won't be all orange and black anymore.

4. Particles seem to be a big theme. The game, picture, wallpaper, and screensaver heavily feature this aspect.

5. Big changes and new content on the way!

So what do you guys think?

I'm part of the "ambassador" program I guess. I hope this service can find an audience. I enjoyed it 2 years ago when the only gaming I could do was on my mac. Worked very well, i have no use for it now seeing as how I built my own pc last year but it was good for what it was. I'd reccommend it to those who have limited PC's

Enectic

Banned
I'm part of the "ambassador" program I guess. I hope this service can find an audience. I enjoyed it 2 years ago when the only gaming I could do was on my mac. Worked very well, i have no use for it now seeing as how I built my own pc last year but it was good for what it was. I'd reccommend it to those who have limited PC's

That's great that you enjoyed the service! I agree and hopefully this "relaunch" will bring about a resurgence for the platform. This email though is not an acceptance email as final decisions are still being made about who will be selected to be part of the ambassador program. Hopefully we do hear about who did get selected soon though.

Enectic

Banned
Compiled all the colors from the wallpapers/screensaver into one image. Which one is your favorite? If this really is pointing towards a UI that you can customize at least the color then I'll probably be rocking the green!

Onlive_zpsfd87dda3.jpg

jmizzal

I miss the old OnLive when they had sales and price drops

Sleeping Dogs has been 49.99 for over a year, and only been on sale once when I was buying other games and didnt have the money for it, that is prob the last game I would like to buy from them if they ever put it on sale again.

I forgot all about OnLive, used to love it and use it all the time before I bought my gaming PC, still have a micro console and have had an account since day one, fun times.

Enectic

Banned
I miss the old OnLive when they had sales and price drops

Sleeping Dogs has been 49.99 for over a year, and only been on sale once when I was buying other games and didnt have the money for it, that is prob the last game I would like to buy from them if they ever put it on sale again.

Yes, the sales were pretty awesome especially when combined with the 30 percent PlayPack discount on everything. Hopefully when Onlive 2.0 gets off the ground we'll see some of that come back!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
LOL at that hyped up rumor hint ending up to be just a marketing gimmick.

Enectic

Banned
LOL at that hyped up rumor hint ending up to be just a marketing gimmick.

True, I was a bit disappointed that it was only about the Ambassador program. Although to be honest I only disappointed myself since OnLive Nate didn't say anything about the news being big. I think it's a bit too early to call it a gimmick though. Giving long time members early access to the new service and upcoming features is pretty neat and very similar to what Valve is doing with the Steambox and certain new Steam features.

Top Bottom