• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnLive thread of why you should be playing with us in the cloud

so it seems wifi is going to be a problem. I want to play saints row but if I start putting money into this I will have to invest in a wired internet setup?

Okay I am tired of not gaming enough... I don't have anything here but my macbook pro
and an xbox controller

I've been itching to try some games like Saints Row the Third

everything here is WiFi so no hardline to connect online. Its been awhile now so is cloud gaming the solution for me?

I use a wireless bridge just fine. Cost me less than £30.
Its more reliable over wired, but I can't do it that way from our living room.

georgc

So when is the iPad onlive player gonna come out? It was scheduled to do so a month ago and it's no where to be seen or herd from.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So when is the iPad onlive player gonna come out? It was scheduled to do so a month ago and it's no where to be seen or herd from.

Must be something with Apple flagging it.

thanks

My WIFI is Up to 10 Mbps download speeds. Onlive recommends 5Mbps as ideal
so I checked my speed and it was at 3.2Mbps download then checked again later it went up to 7Mbps seems like if I play late nights or early morning I should be fine with my WiFi

So anything I should not any coupons that still work?

first purchase will be Saints Row the third

I wish they had Civ 5 I want something like that to waste time

Svafnir

Christ, Onlive works far better than I ever imagined. I am super suprised at how smooth everything is, I was expecting a horrible mess.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
FYI guys, this makes a huge difference when using OnLive:

300px-Cat_5.jpg

I love this platform, I got the augmented edition of Deus Ex: Human Revolution for $1 and played it for 35+ hours. Didn't even hesitated to get other games on OnLive after that.

Use the ethernet cable. Trust me, you'll se the difference.

yeah the problem is my Wifi service is in the building but not in my apartment where I can plug in I will have to find another service provider like cable so I can plug an ethernet cable

even with the shaky framerates Onlive is amazing if they can get even more support I think it is worth me switching back to a cable company to use ethernet to enjoy this

edit: changing my DNS to google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 seems to have made everything smooth going to try to play a few trails

km3k

Neo Member
Onlive is giving free 30 minute demos of some of this year's IGF nominees, now through March 11. I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to do so tonight. Dear Esther, Dustrforce, Lume, SpaceChem and Botanicula are the highlights here for me. Unfortunately, the link for Botanicula isn't there yet, but their press release says it will be included.

http://www.facebook.com/OnLive?v=app_100442513383559

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So, this is getting viable eh?

Good on them. I hope they succeed. This technology is amazing and cloud rendering is going to be huge in the future, I'm sure of it. The amazing graphical fidelity I can get on my PC, which is still quite powerful, is keeping me from adopting this as a platform, but as everything on their end gets better and things get more obsolete on my end, who knows.

What kind of controller(s) can you use with the Microconsole?

mclaren777

I just heard about the OnLive Indie Showcase and it might be enough to get me to setup my console.

Can you guys tell me what the experience is like with these indie games?

I just heard about the OnLive Indie Showcase and it might be enough to get me to setup my console.

Can you guys tell me what the experience is like with these indie games?

Well, I guess it's too late to try some of them out. But I had fun playing some of them especially Nitronic Rush. A lot of people liked FTL which prompted them to donate to Kickstarter.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is on sale in the US/UK. The regular version is $7.50 and the Augmented Edition is $10.00

JesseZao

As an ironic turn of events. After using Onlive quite a bit for gaming since the Homefront bundle, I was left still wanting and ended up building a gaming PC late last year and haven't really used the service since. I still think it's a good service and they should definately push the mobile/tablet market, but they really need to up the bandwidth/rez for desktop streaming. The spectating is my favorite feature and it needs to be emulated by other services/consoles.

I haven't seen any advertising recently for onlive and I wonder if they'll ever have a retail presence for the console, but I think they offer a good service that should be able to grow.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
OnLive has lost a lot of momentum, IMO.

Bboy AJ

Welp, with THQ struggling, OnLive has been doing nothing. I can't remember the last time I was excited about a release on the platform. Do we even have The Witcher 2 yet?

Haven't paid attention to Onlive in a while, why are so many of their new releases exclusive to the playpack bundle? Seems like there's been only a handful of games you can actually buy released this year.

Seems especially weird for one game in particular, T.E.C. 3001. Onlive is, as far as I can tell, the only way to play the game on PC/Mac/mobile. As it's only other release is on Xbox Live Indie Games.

Bboy AJ

You know, I recently bought a Vita and I'm always thinking, "Man, I wish I could run OnLive on this thing."

Then I read this article: http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/24/what-to-expect-from-e3-no-not-xbox-720-and-ps4/

Sony’s first-party effort will revolve around at least two largely unknown core products and Vita. The two titles are likely to generate a great deal of excitement. Also expect Sony to attempt to play a strong “Vita isn’t dead” card. Big core games on the small screen will be a focus for Sony this year, but, again, expect solidity rather than megatonnage. You may well be blown away by what’s on show, but it’s doubtful you’re going to be too shocked by any of the announcements.

Apart from the partnership deal between PlayStation and a leading cloud gaming service, obviously.

Could it be OnLive? That would be a nice shot in the arm both OnLive and Vita need.

Bboy AJ

Gaikai seems to be the more likely partner for Sony at the moment, they have been hyping an E3 announcement.

Gaikai is mainly demos, though, no? Not full games like OnLive.

Bboy AJ

Great news but not unexpected. And now we're supposed to play with what new games?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if it doesn't belong here, but OnLiveFans.com is running a 12-hour stream on twitch.tv/olfcharity to raise money for Child's Play. Just giving a heads up for those of you who would like to contribute.

Apparently there are prizes for being involved in a way or another.

HockeyDud

Neo Member
I really wish OnLive would make deals with EA etc, it would be great to be able to play BF3 with 64 players without having a ridiculous rig to run it. A lot of the games they have on there are just..idk, not worth the time or money really. Do like the service though, great that I can play the games that are on there on the go, anywhere I go as long as I have wifi and somewhat good connection.

mackattk

I haven't played my onlive console in months, but powerline adapters have worked great for me (for those unable to connect straight to a router/cable modem).

Yes, I did forget to mention that it was US only if that's ok with you

I'm in Canada, but hopefully it works for North America. May I have the code to try? I'll let you know if it doesn't work so you can give it to someone else.

Edit: I just redeemed the 'US' SpaceChem and SPAZ for my account so maybe it will work.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Last week of free indie games. Go here to claim a free copy of Dear Esther, Lume, Defense Grid Gold, and POP: Methodology Experiment One.

Joe

GUYSSSSS

can i get an xbox1 controller s to work with onlive?

it's the only controller i have with a usb connection. i can get the analogs and rumble to work on the PC settings but i cant get onlive to recognize it.

when i started onlive it said "this controller may not be supported".

i went into a random MLB 2k10 game to see if the controller worked and it didnt.

Well I hope it doesn't die. i was sort of blowing off Onlive because I assumes it was going to suck and just go away. But ever since Sony got on board with the streaming gaming I decided to check it out and it's awesome!

Not much lag for me at all. About as much as playing an online game. I installed onlive player on My Mac and it's opened up a whole new world of games that weren't available for mac.

The real killer feature is the ability to instantly play games and demos, no messing around with donloading and installing and configuring nightmares. Only downside is the minor video compression artifacts.

This right here is the future of gaming. Im glad Sony is embracing this technology right fom the start with PS4. Good stuff.

Bboy AJ

Does anyone use this POS anymore? How's it been? Anything interesting going on with the service?

I'm looking forward to Gaikai on my PS4. I'm not afraid of cloud gaming. Let's embrace it.

Enectic

Banned
Does anyone use this POS anymore? How's it been? Anything interesting going on with the service?

I'm looking forward to Gaikai on my PS4. I'm not afraid of cloud gaming. Let's embrace it.

The service seems to be about as active as it has always been (overall though still a small user base). Nothing too exciting happening yet although they did turn 3 years old a few weeks back. I think they're just now getting back on their feet after the big meltdown last year as they've finally been picking up on releases after a very long dry spell. No big titles (more notable ones being MotoGP 13, Rogue Legacy, Oddworld SW HD, WRC3, etc) but the fact that they've released some of these the same day that they've come out on other platforms is a step in the right direction. They also seem to be focusing much more on the PlayPack as most of their more recent releases released in the PlayPack along with the option of a full PlayPass. OUYA support should also be available soon according to the Tweet responses from OUYA. The main unofficial forum was merged into the OUYA forums a couple of months back but a group set up another forum (OnLiveFansForum) and I think that's where most people migrated to. Supposedly the site owners are working with OnLive to bring back multiplayer madness. Also OnLive Nate teased about big announcements coming in the Fall. Here's what he had to say:

As OnLiveFansForum settles into its own with a slick new branding scheme, I feel it's high time that I break my silence and express my great appreciation regarding this evolution of the OnLive Community. I also want to acknowledge and thank Jeremy, Niko, and Major Probes for spinning up the site without skipping a beat. On behalf of the staff and management of OnLive, thank you for keeping this community vibrant and independent.

I think it serendipitous that the community has moved into a new phase at this particular point in time. I believe it clearly represents a new beginning for not only you guys, but for OnLive as well. I know I've been talking about this concept of OnLive2.0 for a greater part of a year. I want to state for the record that OnLive2.0 has been in development since September, and in no way has what we've been working on surfaced yet to our customers and community. What we are planning to release over the next year is not anything you’ve seen, or heard about in the past.

So what the heck is it Nate?... Unsurprisingly, I'm unable to get specific at this time. I can say that we will be releasing a bit of news in the weeks after E3. Following that, in the Fall, we will release another game changing element of our future family of services. I can only tell you that these are cloud gaming specific announcements. They represent a fundamental shift in how we go about delivering games to our customers, derived from 10 years of development and service operation…and yes, your past purchases are safe. We recognize your investment in our service, and have no intention to limit access to what you’ve already paid for.

While major companies scramble to roll out the features we launched with, we are looking at the long term picture. We have entire teams dedicated to producing a set of features and technologies that will undoubtedly disrupt not only gaming, but modern computing as we know it. Expect news of this to release sometime next year.

Big talk, I know. I'll leave it to you, our most dedicated and skeptical devotees, to judge for yourself when these developments release over the next year. In the meantime, I suggest you all leave any relic expectations from OL1 at the door when you come to this site and express your point of view. We are about fundamental disruption of established industries. It's something we've always been good at, and certainly something we've always enjoyed doing. It should be a good ride coming up.

This is a great community, poised to grow, and I look forward to sharing the upcoming experience with you.

Sincerely,

Nate

They'll be at gamescom so I wonder if part of what's being teased will be announced then. Also I'm not sure if you're familiar with the user Germaxius but he's been a huge fan of OnLive for a while now and they actually gave him a free pass to E3. Pretty nice of them to do that.

Bboy AJ

Hey, that's pretty cool. I'm glad to hear things are at least looking up. I think the concept is great but that meltdown really hurt my opinion of the service. Looking forward to 2.0.

So the Witcher 2 finally made its way onto the system, huh? Nice. Did Space Marines ever get multiplayer incorporated?

Teaming up with OUYA is a good move. Too bad OUYA sucks. The OnLive controller is much better.

Enectic

Banned
Yep, The Witcher 2 EE came out in February I believe. Spent 36 hours on it my first play through and will definitely have to go through it again to experience the alternative story path. If you purchase it you get a free digital copy you can download from GOG. I'm sure it would have come out much sooner if it wasn't for the meltdown (many things probably got put on hold until everything was sorted out). Haha, yeah, the long aforementioned Space Marine multiplayer finally did come out about a year ago. The multiplayer community was fairly active for a couple of months but now it's very hard to find a game. Multiview is still in closed beta, I'm sure this was also affected by the meltdown. OUYA will definitely give them more exposure so that's a plus. Not really sold on OUYA yet though. I remain cautiously optimistic about the future of OnLive. They have a big opportunity here if they play their cards right. Cloud is the big "buzzword" now with both Sony and Microsoft throwing it around and internet speeds have increased significantly over the past 3 years. If they're able to offer big name titles (Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, etc) the same day as other platforms then I can see it being a very attractive option. Not only are game releases cheaper ($35 - $42 for every new release with the PlayPack subscription) but people can enjoy these without having to dish out $400 - $500 on a new console or spend money to upgrade their PC. Plus OnLive already has many of the features PS4 and Xbox One have been touting (spectating, clip recording, instant trials, etc) while also offering completely free online multiplayer. Like I said, a big opportunity if they play their cards right, a big console transition like this only comes around every 5 - 10 years. I don't think they'll ever stand toe-to-toe with the big 3 but can definitely enjoy the same success Steam has seen.

nded

Dug up my OnLive account to mess with some trials on my laptop through wi-fi. Input lag was noticeable, but still far better than I expected. Color me impressed.

Top Bottom