• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnLive thread of why you should be playing with us in the cloud

Monas

I think OnLive has the wrong business model for it's service.
It should be a DEMO/Ad/Promotional tool, that gets its money from the corporations not the gamers.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It should be a DEMO/Ad/Promotional tool, that gets its money from the corporations not the gamers.

That's Gaikai's business model. As a gamer, I far prefer OnLive's model being what it is.

besiktas1

Just ttried it out again after a long while, seems like either the servers are better now or less people using it because it was working lag free. I was again impressed...

MJLord

I tried playing a few months ago and I have a couple of things:

1. The service is a GREAT idea I love it and the things I'v heard about the way they interact with the community is great.

2. I cant help but think it was a little ahead of its time, I can only speak for the UK but wherever Iv been the internet speeds just are not good enough for the kind of quality that youd expect from that kind of service and that really does suck :(

OnLive also gets money from users playing demos just like Gaikai does.
It is mentioned about 17mins into this video:http://http//allthingsd.com/video/?video_id=2D385273-C40C-41D7-B01D-39A6E3B50F9F

Gamespot has links to demos on OnLive as well.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/onlive-game-demos-come-to-gamespot-6332248/

Gaikai and OnLive are like competitors in some ways. The biggest difference is that OnLive is a full blown portal service that sells games as well.

Yuripaw

Banned
I just bought Saints Row The Third for a $1 on Onlive. I don't really know if I plan to buy more games or not on this service, depends on the deals I guess. Just wondering if any GAF members wanna add me to their friends list, perhaps for some co-op in Saints Row The Third.

My Onlive username is also Yuripaw if anyone wants to add me.

skullwolfgp

Neo Member
I just bought Saints Row The Third for a $1 on Onlive. I don't really know if I plan to buy more games or not on this service, depends on the deals I guess. Just wondering if any GAF members wanna add me to their friends list, perhaps for some co-op in Saints Row The Third.

My Onlive username is also Yuripaw if anyone wants to add me.

Co-op is totally busted, there's no invite system so you just have to hope that the matchmaking gods put your buddy in your game. And there are always prepubescent trolls accepting every invite just to grief you.

I bought LA Noire during the $1 sale. I was rather unimpressed with the performance. Deus EX HR, which I played Onlive a while back, was much better. I don't know if it was just LA Noire or if Onlive was overloaded.

I bought LA Noire during the $1 sale. I was rather unimpressed with the performance. Deus EX HR, which I played Onlive a while back, was much better. I don't know if it was just LA Noire or if Onlive was overloaded.

LA noire looks just ok on OnLive, but it's definately not mind blowing on PCs either.

Interfectum

never tried this service before... recently got a macbook air, decided to try some "pc gaming" on it. i fired up saints row 3, plugged a 360 controller into my mac, and played 30-40 minutes of it over a wireless connection. it's like netflix streaming, i was playing SR3 instantly. fucking amazing.

if they can sort out the minimal lag issues plus get the video feed a bit higher rez... wow consider me a believer in tech like this.

never tried this service before... recently got a macbook air, decided to try some "pc gaming" on it. i fired up saints row 3, plugged a 360 controller into my mac, and played 30-40 minutes of it over a wireless connection. it's like netflix streaming, i was playing SR3 instantly. fucking amazing.

if they can sort out the minimal lag issues plus get the video feed a bit higher rez... wow consider me a believer in tech like this.

You should always play with a wired connection. It helps minimize lag.

In other news, OnLive is starting to ban accounts due to funds not being avaiable when OnLive charges your credit card. OnLive has been processing payments a couple of days late recently and hasn't been taking the funds out right away, which has screwed some people over. I believe this was mentioned in the Thanksgiving day thread.

http://onlivefans.com/showthread.php?13963-Tos-violations

TheNatural

My Member!
You should always play with a wired connection. It helps minimize lag.

In other news, OnLive is starting to ban accounts due to funds not being avaiable when OnLive charges your credit card. OnLive has been processing payments a couple of days late recently and hasn't been taking the funds out right away, which has screwed some people over. I believe this was mentioned in the Thanksgiving day thread.

http://onlivefans.com/showthread.php?13963-Tos-violations

Yeah I had this problem, they haven't banned me yet though. And it's not a few days late, it's been NINE fucking days since I made accounts with a card that wasn't charged and will charge back because there's nothing on them.

Their whole billing setup is dog shit. You can only pay by credit, you can't delete the card without closing the account, and you can't even fucking pay by Paypal like every other digital distribution service. And they can't even get THIS right.

Like I said last time in the other thread, we'll see what happens. I'll try to e-mail to keep the accounts if they're banned, but it's not a big deal to me, I haven't even begun playing them to be honest.

Yeah I had this problem, they haven't banned me yet though. And it's not a few days late, it's been NINE fucking days since I made accounts with a card that wasn't charged and will charge back because there's nothing on them.

Their whole billing setup is dog shit. You can only pay by credit, you can't delete the card without closing the account, and you can't even fucking pay by Paypal like every other digital distribution service. And they can't even get THIS right.

Like I said last time in the other thread, we'll see what happens. I'll try to e-mail to keep the accounts if they're banned, but it's not a big deal to me, I haven't even begun playing them to be honest.

I don't know what's going on with them to be honest recently regarding billing. This seems to be an occurance ever since last weekend. It's like they are doing billing processing in bulk, which is not good for consumers. They are going to have to become more flexible as they expand to different countries.

As far as not being able to delete credit card info, this might have been a hold over prior to them totally eliminating the mandatory subscription. Also, it might have to do with people being subscribed to the optional Playpack...I don't know.

On a positive note, They have been making some leeway though since you can buy their games directly from the website. People have been asking about that for ages. Before, you had to log in to the service before you were able ot purchase. I guess if was a safety net just in case the servce ran poorly on your system.

OnLive is strongly hinting that the Ipad and Android Player apps are coming real soon. They have been listing Touch Controls for the games now and you can sort by them. They are going to be annoucing news officially tommorow.

Here are the clues:
Touch controls are getting listed and removed randomly.
Members of the British Gaming and Mobile/Tablet Tech Community were invited to an OnLive Press Event on Tuesday
You can sort games by Touch Controls now
The Android and iOS Player apps are currently playing up and acting differently.
Apps Magazine (UK Tablet App Mag has suddenly started shouting about OnLive)
OnLive MJ (community rep) stated something big is coming
Game releases were moved to Thursday

TheNatural

My Member!
Interesting, even though I won't use them. Saw this bumped, and two weeks later they still never charged anything or closed my account BTW.

bangai-o

Banned
at my home, Internet is not good enough for onlive. but I can run it very well at school on my netbook.
so now I wonder if kindle fire support will be there. it only has 1mini Usb connector though.

KamenSenshi

at my home, Internet is not good enough for onlive. but I can run it very well at school on my netbook.
so now I wonder if kindle fire support will be there. it only has 1mini Usb connector though.

Not sure if you've seen the other thread or not, but in case you didn't:
kon1.jpg

kon.jpg

Supposedly its not coming to the app store till January though from what I have found, but hopefully that's incorrect and it shows up sooner.

Alchemy

So with mobile versions of OnLive out now, I would be insanely happy if it was possible to pause a play session on one device and pick it up on another. So say I'm play Darksiders on the bus, I get home and pause and close out of OnLive on my phone. I turn on my computer and pick up the same play session I had while on my phone.

Right now having this kind of functionality appears to only be handled through the games built in save states, which can be restricting.

http://onlivefans.com/showthread.php?14176-Android-OnLive-Client-Compatbility-FAQ
http://support.onlive.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/422/related/1

Devices that the OnLive Android App are working on:
Acer Iconia Tab A500
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer
HTC Flyer (currently waiting on update from HTC)
HTC Evo View
HTC Jetstream
Motorola Xoom
Samsung Galaxy Tab
Sony Tablet S
Toshiba Thrive
HTC EVO
HTC Nexus One
HTC Rezound 4G
HTC Sensation
HTC Sensation XL
HP Touchpad (cyanogen honeycomb CM7)
Motorola Droid 2
Motorola Droid X2
Motorola DROID BIONIC 4G
Motorola DROID RAZR 4G
Motorola Photon 4G
Samsung Galaxy S II 4G (Euro 3G version also works)

Devices that the OnLive Android App are NOT currently working on (old ARMv6 tech):
Asus Garmin nuvifone A50 (T-Mobile Garminfone)
Augen GENTouch 78 Tablet
Coby Kyros Internet Tablet (MID7015)
Geeksphone One, Geeksphone Zero
HTC Aria
HTC ChaCha
HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1, Android Dev Phone 1)
HTC Droid Eris
HTC Espresso (T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide)
HTC Hero (T-Mobile G2 Touch)
HTC Legend
HTC Magic (T-Mobile myTouch 3G, T-Mobile G1 Touch)
HTC Salsa
HTC Tattoo
HTC Wildfire
Huawei Ascend
Huawei Ideos U8150-B (T-Mobile Comet)
Huawei U8110 (T-Mobile Pulse Mini)
Huawei U8230
LG Ally (Apex) (LG VS740)
LG GW620 (Eve, InTouch Max, LinkMe)
LG Optimus, Optimus M, Optimus T, Optimus S, Optimus V
LG Vortex
Logitech Revue (This isn't ARMv6 but falls into the same trap, namely different processor architecture)
MAG iMiTO iM7
MAG iMiTO iM7S
Motorola Backflip
Motorola Citrus
Motorola Cliq (MB200)
Motorola Dext
Motorola Devour
Motorola i1
Motorola Spice XT300
Motorola Quench XT5 XT502
Pantech Crossover
Pandigital Novel
Samsung Behold, Behold 2
Samsung GT-S5570 Galaxy Mini
Samsung i5500 Galaxy 5 (Corby)
Samsung i5700 Galaxy Portal (Spica)
Samsung i5800 Galaxy 3
Samsung i7500 Galaxy
Samsung Intercept
Samsung M900 Moment
Samsung S5830 Galaxy Ace
Samsung Transform
Sanyo ZIO M6000
Sony Ericsson Xperia X8
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro
Superpad 10.2" Tablet PC
Viewsonic ViewPad 7 Tablet
Velocity Micro T103 Cruz tablet
Vodafone 845
ZTE Blade / San Francisco
ZTE Light / V9

Troubleshooting:
Error Parsing Package - You have the wrong version of Android (Upgrading it will fix this error, but is no guarantee it will work - see above lists)
Unable to Install - You have the viewer installed, remove it
Pink/Purple Hue - You might have to exit out of the App and restart it.

Samus4145

Tried it on my Droid Bionic last night and this morning. Works using Wifi and 4g. Played LEGO Batman, Darksiders and Split Second. Def has a learning curve for touch controls, but if I can hookup a controller to my device that would be awesome.

Tried it on my Droid Bionic last night and this morning. Works using Wifi and 4g. Played LEGO Batman, Darksiders and Split Second. Def has a learning curve for touch controls, but if I can hookup a controller to my device that would be awesome.

If you can hook up a Xbox 360 controller, it should work. However, if you don't have a USB port it may not. It is probably better to purchase the OnLive Universal Controller:
http://www.onlive.com/controller It should go on sale today. It's $50, but if you are a Playpass subscriber, you get 30% off.

BFIB

According to this the controller comes with an adapter that will enable you to connect the controller via wifi.

Or you can root the Kindle Fire and download drivers for bluetooth, which the Kindle Fire has, Amazon just did not include it as a feature for some reason.

BFIB

I just loaded up OnLive on my Kindle Fire, now I'm just waiting for the controller to be up for sale.

I just loaded up OnLive on my Kindle Fire, now I'm just waiting for the controller to be up for sale.

I'm thinking about getting a Fire does anyone know if the universal controller will connect to the it? And if so how? This is really important as to whether or not I get one. I don't want to have to root it.

KamenSenshi

I'm thinking about getting a Fire does anyone know if the universal controller will connect to the it? And if so how? This is really important as to whether or not I get one. I don't want to have to root it.
Right now there seem to be conflicting reports, most have said that for the Fire we will have only touch controls, but I've also read from one place that the pad will work once the app is in Amazon's store. So for now its safe to expect not to use the pad for a while, if ever. Hopefully the delay for Amazon's store will mean they are gonna push an update to enable the bluetooth. It's scheduled for a January release, so if you aren't on a gift deadline it might be wise to wait.

From reading this article, it sheds some light on compression techniques used by OnLive and Gaikai. They seem to both center around using Nvidia solotuions. Nvidia has there hand in remote rendering solutions (PCoip, RemoteFX, HDX) so this nothing new for them.

http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/br...di-won-t-mean-a-shittier-user-experience.aspx
And NVIDIA's work in the remote graphics area isn't just limited to business apps and VDI. Two of the largest cloud gaming companies, OnLive and Gaikai, use NVIDIA technology to deliver their games remotely. (Think of these things like VDI for video games.) OnLive is using NVIDIA GPUs to handle the compression for the image remoting, and Gaikai is using the more general NVIDIA Project Monterey pixel-level output access I wrote about last month.

It seems that OnLive uses the Nvidia GPUs themselves to compress the frames to deliver it over the network. Gaikai uses Project Monterey tech from Nvidia. Below is more info on Project Monterey

http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/br...latform-quot-for-3d-virtual-workstations.aspx
NVIDIA Monterey
Monterey is a set of technologies that gets the rendered pixels from the GPU to the remoting protocol engine. Like Multi-OS, Monterey is not a product, but something that companies like Citrix or VMware would use to get the rendered pixels to HDX or PCoIP. NVIDIA said that Monterey is fast. So fast, in fact, that they can provide the pixels to Citrix or VMware faster than they can get them rendered to a local display via DVI.

The full articles themselves are a very interesting read especially for IT professionals involved in virtualization

i've wanted to buy the microconsole and some games but international purchases are not allowed :/ the free demos have worked fine enough for me so i could use it when im away from home...

maybe some day Onlive will be available for others than the americans and brits :p

Alchemy

Warning for those with a Droid Bionic, the controller wasn't tested with the device and currently doesn't work with it. I blame MOTOBLUR, had the same issues with trying to get a SIXAXIS to work with the device.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

mrklaw

MrArseFace
does the onlive micro console come with the universal controller? Onlive have an offer that if you preorder Pro evo soccer you get a free console. I don't care about pro evo, but it basically makes a console £30. But it'd be handy if it was the universal controller as I could then also use it for the iPad or my mac mini clients.

UK heads up:

I have been playing with Onlive on the Xperia Play (fully supported controls!!) for a while and I noticed decent performance on wi-fi (occasional drop outs) and playable but no better performance over 3G (connected 50% of the time, a bit pixellated etc).

After a session with T-Mobile tech support, they did some tweaking to my account and now (this is not hyperbole, I swear) 3G plays better than wi-fi on the Xperia Play! - just spent an hour at lunch playing Saints Row Third and the graphics are crisp, the lag is so small to be barely noticeable and I've had no dropouts!

Anyone on T-Mobile UK who wants to try this, ask to be upgraded to Web'N'Walk Max.

besiktas1

UK heads up:

I have been playing with Onlive on the Xperia Play (fully supported controls!!) for a while and I noticed decent performance on wi-fi (occasional drop outs) and playable but no better performance over 3G (connected 50% of the time, a bit pixellated etc).

After a session with T-Mobile tech support, they did some tweaking to my account and now (this is not hyperbole, I swear) 3G plays better than wi-fi on the Xperia Play! - just spent an hour at lunch playing Saints Row Third and the graphics are crisp, the lag is so small to be barely noticeable and I've had no dropouts!

Anyone on T-Mobile UK who wants to try this, ask to be upgraded to Web'N'Walk Max.

?! holy crap that sounds amazing...

RPGCrazied

Will this ever have a netflix type subscription? Now that I have a gaming PC and a PS3, I don't see the point in this service. Now if they could give me all I could eat for $19.99 a month, I'd be all over it.

I was impressed when I tried it on my old PC.

RPGCrazied

Not a bad price, but unfortunately, all the ones in the list I have played. The ones that interest me that is. Would it kill them to add maybe 1 new release every 2 months or something?

Aru

Not a bad price, but unfortunately, all the ones in the list I have played. The ones that interest me that is. Would it kill them to add maybe 1 new release every 2 months or something?

The list is growing pretty fast. Last timed I checked, there was around 60-70 titles.

Does anyone have the Onlive Microconsole outside of the US or UK?

If i buy it somewhere, will it work? :D The store is IP blocked but the free trials work so well already here in Finland i could get in on that but i'd need to make sure the console works to begin with.

OnLive has sales going on in both the US/UK until Monday:

US games on sale (NOT including 30% optional playpack subscribers discount)

- Batman: Arkham City – $24.99
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution – $24.99
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition – $24.99
- F.E.A.R. 3 – $12.50
- Lord of the Rings: War in the North – $24.99
- Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood – $29.99
- Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition – $7.50
- Mafia II – $7.50
- Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition – $19.99
- Orcs Must Die – $3.75
- Just Cause 2 – $6.80
- Divinity II The Dragon Knight Saga – $10.00
- NBA 2k11 – $5.00
- A Kingdom for Keflings – $2.50
- Metro 2033 – $5.00
- Space Pirates and Zombies – $4.99
- Red Faction: Guerrilla – $5.00
- Aliens vs Predator – $5.00
- Alpha Protocol – $5.00
- Dark Void – $2.50
- Major League Baseball 2K11 – $5.00
- MX vs ATV Reflex – $5.00
- Darksiders – $5.00
- Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light – $3.75
- Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands – $5.00
- Braid – $2.50
- LEGO Batman – $5.00
- Assassin’s Creed II – $5.00
- F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin – $2.50
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Chaos Rising – $5.00
- Amnesia: The Dark – $5.00
- The Ball – $5.00
- Virtua Tennis 2009 – $2.50
- Duke Nukem Forever – $5.00
- Shatter – $2.25
- Osmos – $2.50
- Trine – $5.00
- Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days – $5.00
- Royal Envoy – $5.00
- Fishdom 2 – $5.00
- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine – $15.00

Uk games on sale (NOT including 30% optional playpack subscribers discount):

- Batman: Arkham City – £17.49
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution – £17.49
- F.E.A.R. 3 – £7.50
- Warhammer 40K: Space Marine – £10.20
- Lord of the Rings: War in the North – £14.99
- Borderland: Game of the Year Edition – £5.00
- Mafia II – £3.75
- Super Street Figher IV Arcade Edition – £14.99
- Red Faction: Armageddon – £7.59
- Orcs Must Die – £3.00
- Just Cause 2 – £4.76
- Divinity II The Dragon Knight Saga – £5.00
- NBA 2K11 – £3.75
- A Kingdom for Keflings – £1.62
- Metro 2033 – £5.00
- Space Pirates and Zombies – £3.49
- Red Faction: Guerrilla – £3.75
- Aliens Vs. Predator – £3.75
- Alpha Protocol – £3.75
- Dark Void – £1.62
- MLB 2K11 – £3.75
- MX vs ATV Reflex – £3.75
- Darksiders – £5.00
- Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light – £2.50
- Briad – £1.62
- LEGO Batman – £2.50
- F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin – £2.50
- Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II Chaos Rising – £5.00
- Amnesia: The Dar Descent – £3.50
- The Ball – £3.75
- Virtua Tennis 2009 – £2.50
- Duke Nukem Forever – £3.75
- Shatter – £1.50
- Osmos – £1.62
- Trine – £3.75
- Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days – £3.75
- Royal Envoy – £3.50
- Fishdom 2 – £3.50
- MLB 2K10 – £3.75
- NBA 2K10 – £2.50
- AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! – £1.62
- Dock Clock – £1.74
- Remington Super Slam Hunting: Africa – £3.50
- Madballs in Babo: Invasion – £1.75
- Defense Grid Gold – £2.50
- The Maw – £1.62
- Puzzle Chronicles – £2.00
- SAW – £9.99

Shiiiiit, I might have to bite on some of these...

- Batman: Arkham City – £17.49
- Borderland: Game of the Year Edition – £5.00
- Just Cause 2 – £4.76
- Metro 2033 – £5.00
- Aliens Vs. Predator – £3.75
- Darksiders – £5.00
- Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light – £2.50
- Braid – £1.62
- Shatter – £1.50

Gaikai seems to work tons better for me, but some of those prices are hard to resist...not that gaikai has full games currently anyway.

Gaikai is about to launch on Facebook in less than two weeks.http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400222,00.asp

Then 3 months after Gaikai's Facebook launch, they will be streaming full games so that would mean full games should come to Gaikai around June. Gakai has a lot less lag and the picture quality is better than OnLive for me. http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/24/gaikai-full-game-streaming-to-start-3-months-after-launching-on

Okay I am tired of not gaming enough... I don't have anything here but my macbook pro
and an xbox controller

I've been itching to try some games like Saints Row the Third

everything here is WiFi so no hardline to connect online. Its been awhile now so is cloud gaming the solution for me?

Top Bottom