• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

redcrayon

Does the physician get a revive spell at any point, or do the drops to make the item turn up?

Ive used two or three now and they seem limited.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Was going to add the Gaming Age review for the title to the review list but since all it turned out to be outside of being oddly short was "I liked it better than Demon Gaze B+" will be leaving it off the list.

Shizuka

Was going to add the Gaming Age review for the title to the review list but since all it turned out to be outside of being oddly short was "I liked it better than Demon Gaze B+" will be leaving it off the list.

Just read that one, what a joke. Judging from the review and the screenshots, I don't think he played more than a few hours.

Parakeetman

Just read that one, what a joke. Judging from the review and the screenshots, I don't think he played more than a few hours.

Its kinda odd with the piece being that short yet at the same time they were able to give the title a good score.

There really is nothing in there to help the player understand more about the title itself. It was more an opinion piece rather than what could be considered an actual review.

autoduelist

has anyone confirmed if Phy stat affects hp universally or at level up? that is, do we needd to pump it up early for best efect?s

autoduelist

ok. stupid question... im creating characters and see no place for class selection. i guess i pick that later?

edit... crap i see it. damn abbreviation next to the blood thing. darn it, that means i mis classed a char after rolling a nine

JPS Kai

Well, I beat the omega wyvern. I don't think there are any variants harder than that outside of the ex dungeon, right?

Ephidel

The Blood Code/Class is what you're asked to select after you assign your bonus points. So yes, by selecting W Tamoe you made your character a Warrior.

But you can change that! Go to:
CPA Headquarters -> Member Application -> (Yes to set squad to standby) -> Change Blood -> Select Character in Question -> Select/Re-select Blood Code.

Parakeetman

do you mean yes i pickit later? i just noticed those portraits at the bottom have classes.

i saw W Tamoe and thought that was the name of whatever portrait that was and not W for warrior. did i just make the character a warrior?

Yeah after you get everything set up stats wise then it allows you to select the blood code which is the class. As you had mentioned and the post above me the Tomoe class is the Warrior.

autoduelist

The Blood Code/Class is what you're asked to select after you assign your bonus points. So yes, by selecting W Tamoe you made your character a Warrior.

But you can change that! Go to:
CPA Headquarters -> Member Application -> (Yes to set squad to standby) -> Change Blood -> Select Character in Question -> Select/Re-select Blood Code.

Oh. Thank you. So glad I can change that since it took forever to roll a 9. (I hate having to roll for random stats like that... much prefer fixed point systems since it just means I have to spend hours rolling characters). I know i could probably beat the game without that 9, and even with a 1... but it's there, so i want it.

The way that was presented (with name and face, etc), I thought i was just picking a deity or something -- sort of like a racial mode in most games. Had no idea i was supposed to know w meant warrior. that'll teach me. [i'm planning on a Assassin / Samurai / Knight front row.... eventually Assassin / Samurai / Monk.

RangerBAD

Er, I have a katana I want to equip to the Samurai, but it doesn't show up in the status menu. The Samurai has the appropriate level to equip it.

Ephidel

Er, I have a katana I want to equip to the Samurai, but it doesn't show up in the status menu. The Samurai has the appropriate level to equip it.
Is the one you're looking at definitely useable by Samurais? Because some of them aren't (the Spy's Blade, as a low level example, is only useable by Assassins).

Ephidel

I don't know how to tell, but it is the Spy's Blade. That answers that.
I had a suspicion it might be. I was confused by the same thing until I realised :)
UjCW5eU.jpg
If you look at the item stats, the middle column has a blood code section. The abbreviations of the classes that can use it show up there.

pariah164

Light spoilers for the Council President Request.

I am in the Morimoto High-Rise. I talked to the XPD guard. I've walked all over this stupid building and nothing has gone on but random battles. Who am I looking for and where the hell are they?

Ephidel

Light spoilers for the Council President Request.

I am in the Morimoto High-Rise. I talked to the XPD guard. I've walked all over this stupid building and nothing has gone on but random battles. Who am I looking for and where the hell are they?
Quest/Location spoilers:
25th Floor. X10, Y06.

Ephidel

Thank you! Off-topic, your avatar is awesome. Shadow Weaver/She-Ra for the win~
Haha, thank you. And agreed! :)

And to make a vaguely on-topic comment too, I wish I knew why it feels like cheating when I de-equip Hachi's Workout Pack. (Location spoiler?)
Babyl S2
can be... harsh :|

cj_iwakura

I usually enjoy RPGFan's reviews, but that one kind of offends me. It's obvious his problems with the game stem from it being more like Wizardry than Etrian Odyssey.

Opinions and all that, but sheesh, it's like playing Dark Souls II and being upset that you can't pause the game.

CazTGG

I usually enjoy RPGFan's reviews, but that one kind of offends me. It's obvious his problems with the game stem from it being more like Wizardry than Etrian Odyssey.

Opinions and all that, but sheesh, it's like playing Dark Souls II and being upset that you can't pause the game.
Putting aside the Dark Souls pause button debate and my disdain of the Etrian Odyssey series, I thought the review was rather fair. Having beaten the game recently, I found the exploration frustrating, the combat dull even for a Wizardry-esque title, the textures ugly and the story filed to the brim with cliche (Also, fetishisized 14 year-old girl... classy). The difficulty is approached in an interesting manner, but it doesn't make the experience any less mundane or worth playing over other dungeon crawlers on the Vita, let alone other systems.

Then again, I like Mind Zero, so take this for what it's worth.

Tohsaka

So, I just did the
WIZ Agency Investigation
story mission, and my party has been at the level cap for a bit now. I assume I'm close to the second half of the game? It kinda sucks to not be getting XP from these other sidequests.

redcrayon

Yes, the last tier of spells which is 36 I believe.
Thanks!

Today's question: I have an accessory called a 'healer task', that gives HP+ as a passive and an item-use effect of curing everyone.

I've used it a few times, but while it still exists as an item of equipment on that character, now I can't select it in battle any more. Is it now used up, or can it be recharged?

CrovaxPSO

So, I just did the
WIZ Agency Investigation
story mission, and my party has been at the level cap for a bit now. I assume I'm close to the second half of the game? It kinda sucks to not be getting XP from these other sidequests.

I think you have one more main quest after that before the second semester.

Thanks!

Today's question: I have an accessory called a 'healer task', that gives HP+ as a passive and an item-use effect of curing everyone.

I've used it a few times, but while it still exists as an item of equipment on that character, now I can't select it in battle any more. Is it now used up, or can it be recharged?

Since I played in Japanese I might have overlooked it but I don't think there's a way to recharge items like that. I could be wrong so hopefully someone who has been playing the English release can say for sure.

redcrayon

I think you have one more main quest after that before the second semester.

Since I played in Japanese I might have overlooked it but I don't think there's a way to recharge items like that. I could be wrong so hopefully someone who has been playing the English release can say for sure.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

It feels like they could have made the manual four times longer and still not covered everything, there's quite a bit of minutae in the item descriptions that could have really used a few extra words of explanation.

Still, really enjoying it. Am level 10 and am starting to pick up some good loot and skills etc. While I love the way you don't have to explore each dungeon completely to beat each story mission (some of them seem huge!), I'm a bit worried that me doing too much exploring of dungeons outside of the story is going to leave me hitting the level cap way too early. I might just focus on the main story and then go back after the cap is lifted so any xp won't be wasted.

CrovaxPSO

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

It feels like they could have made the manual four times longer and still not covered everything, there's quite a bit of minutae in the item descriptions that could have really used a few extra words of explanation.

Still, really enjoying it. Am level 10 and am starting to pick up some good loot and skills etc. While I love the way you don't have to explore each dungeon completely to beat each story mission (some of them seem huge!), I'm a bit worried that me doing too much exploring of dungeons outside of the story is going to leave me hitting the level cap way too early. I might just focus on the main story and then go back after the cap is lifted so any xp won't be wasted.

My memory is fuzzy by this point but I'm not sure if your mapping progress carries over to the second half of the game. Quests definitely don't, so don't leave any of those undone before you move on. Besides, it's really not a big deal if you hit the level cap. You'll still be getting GP and equipment.

I guess being capped for a long time can be frustrating since some people seem to get held up on one thing or another near the end of the first half, but it was never something that was even close to being an issue for me.

As for the manual, it seems like some information was definitely left out for the English release. The Japanese manual is 40-something pages, and I think someone said the digital English manual is only about 20? Though someone did say the in-game encyclopedias have a lot more information, maybe have a look around in those.

CazTGG

My memory is fuzzy by this point but I'm not sure if your mapping progress carries over to the second half of the game.

While some maps will feature similar layouts, none of the mapping progress from the first half is carried over in the second for returning dungeons.

redcrayon

My memory is fuzzy by this point but I'm not sure if your mapping progress carries over to the second half of the game. Quests definitely don't, so don't leave any of those undone before you move on. Besides, it's really not a big deal if you hit the level cap. You'll still be getting GP and equipment.

I guess being capped for a long time can be frustrating since some people seem to get held up on one thing or another near the end of the first half, but it was never something that was even close to being an issue for me.

As for the manual, it seems like some information was definitely left out for the English release. The Japanese manual is 40-something pages, and I think someone said the digital English manual is only about 20? Though someone did say the in-game encyclopedias have a lot more information, maybe have a look around in those.
The English digital manual is 25 pages, of which the first 14 are safety information and the cover! We get a barebones coverage of stats, character creation, mapping, combat, blood and items, on 11 small pages. No wonder there's a few people like me scratching their head.

You're right in that the squad handbook is a bit better. Thanks for the info on level caps (and everything else), if not for this thread I'd be struggling to understand quite a bit of it even after playing a dozen similar games.

CrovaxPSO

While some maps will feature similar layouts, none of the mapping progress from the first half is carried over in the second for returning dungeons.

That's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation.

So don't wait on finishing exploring if that's also something you want to do before moving on to the second half. Finishing the secondary wanted variant quests is definitely most important since there's a trophy associated with it.

cj_iwakura

Putting aside the Dark Souls pause button debate and my disdain of the Etrian Odyssey series, I thought the review was rather fair. Having beaten the game recently, I found the exploration frustrating, the combat dull even for a Wizardry-esque title, the textures ugly and the story filed to the brim with cliche (Also, fetishisized 14 year-old girl... classy). The difficulty is approached in an interesting manner, but it doesn't make the experience any less mundane or worth playing over other dungeon crawlers on the Vita, let alone other systems.

Then again, I like Mind Zero, so take this for what it's worth.

Those are fair complaints,but being upset that you have to construct a character's stats? That's part of the appeal of these games.

redcrayon

That's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation.

So don't wait on finishing exploring if that's also something you want to do before moving on to the second half. Finishing the secondary wanted variant quests is definitely most important since there's a trophy associated with it.
OK, cheers.

redcrayon

How many times are you supposed to go find Hachi before the start of the second half?
I was also wondering this. Also the shop is running out of curry to give her- can I make/find more somehow? Seems odd that it's a good consumable but only available in limited amounts, and you need to give most of it to her.

CrovaxPSO

Hachi's quest is indefinitely repeatable I'm pretty sure (at least, as many times as you have curry). You only need to do it once for the trophy, if it even counts at all.

Edit: Just made sure that the trophy is indeed for wanted variants, so Hachi's quest (probably) doesn't matter for anything.

Parakeetman

Hachi's quest is indefinitely repeatable I'm pretty sure (at least, as many times as you have curry). You only need to do it once for the trophy, if it even counts at all.

Edit: Just made sure that the trophy is indeed for wanted variants, so Hachi's quest (probably) doesn't matter for anything.

yeah you dont really need to do the first hachi quest multiple times unless you want to and get random low lv mats as part of the reward i think it was

Parakeetman

seems like they really did a hackjob with the manual considering the jp one is 46 pages with the 2nd half of the manual containing a lot of the useful stuff.

JPS Kai

For the most part, you have to remap the second half of the game.

As far as I know, there's no trophy for completing every map, so look to just make efficient routes especially because your Academic (and Call Portal item) can warp to an exact square to minimize running around near the end of the game.

Is there an optimal way to get the first Muramasa (for the trophy)? I have the MURAMASA thanks to gambling the squeaky hammer but still need that for one of my last trophies.

Edit: Found my absolute least favorite part of both this and CoH2:
bottomless pits + anti-magic. Only thing I can really do is give four characters gear that gives them +float then Call Portal onto a deep end, thus killing two party members but letting me keep moving forward.

Top Bottom