• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Dark Room: Police break up massive Norwegian paedophilia ring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow darn. Crimes against children are just the worst of the worst. i wish I didn't read this when I'm about to be on a celebration mode for thanksgiving. I hope those kids do well in life.

Can't even imagine being the investigators of cases like these.

Chiramii

This is beyond fucked up. I want to do something to these people that I can't say, in fear of ending my GAF life. I feel sick reading this. I... no. *sigh*

Keasar

hooefully they all be executed.

They didn't do it with Breivik, the Norwegians won't do it with these people either and that is good. They should be trialled, imprisoned and then treated. We Scandinavians don't lust for blood as many other countries do and I am honestly glad for it, no matter how much I am disgusted with these people.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
so is norway going to punish them properly or is it going to be some slap on the wrist stuff like brevik

They will be shamed beyond repute and removed from society, hopefully for a long time. That should suffice as punishment.

They didn't do it with Breivik, the Norwegians won't do it with these people either and that is good. They should be trialled, imprisoned and then treated. We Scandinavians don't lust for blood as many other countries do and I am honestly glad for it, no matter how much I am disgusted with these people.

As an American, I completely agree.

Kthulhu

I am glad you guys don't. Hopefully if the US loses it's superpower status, you guys will take over for us.

Kill em.
Why should they be allowed to live? Why should tax payers fund their lives?
They day you torture and abuse anything living you lose your right to cry for "human rights"

Hazmat

No, 21 years is the maxium sentence

I'll head this off at the pass because it's misleading, at the end of a 21-year sentence if they don't think the person is safe to put back into society the sentence gets extended. They can keep someone in prison for life, but they force themselves to revisit it periodically rather than drop a life sentence on someone all at once.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
No, 21 years is the maxium sentence

Can that be extended?

If you convict a confessed rapist and murderer who serves 21 years without ever expressing remorse for their crime, are they just free to walk afterwards?

Edit: ah thank you. That system makes much more sense.

Phased

15 years is not enough time.

Some things aren't forgiveable. Even if you just downloaded this shit you created a demand that enabled more children to be abused.

Get help if you have these thoughts, but if you actually act on them I don't care what they do to you. Even death.

These children will likely be fucked up for the rest of their life.

Matty8787

Paedophilia is a lot more prevalent that people realise I have been saying it for years and it goes to the very top.

The world needs purging.

When you are sexually torturing children and infants, you don't deserve treatment or freedom.

These acts and this trade or whatever the hell you call it took place in Norway, most likely because the perpetrators knew they'd get light sentences if they were ever caught in Norway.

They know they'd be made an example of "how to make the bad people good again" and not have to worry losing their freedom for the rest of their lives. Maybe a couple decades, if that. But they would not be considered criminals - they'd be rehab projects.

No real punishment for their crimes. No real deterrent for other offenders out there.

It's a fucking joke.

I pity the people who want to make this into a rehabilitation success project. The victims get no justice.

Keasar

I'll head this off at the pass because it's misleading, at the end of a 21-year sentence if they don't think the person is safe to put back into society the sentence gets extended. They can keep someone in prison for life, but they force themselves to revisit it periodically rather than drop a life sentence on someone all at once.

This should be put in the OP before people think Norwegians are lenient with that 15 year maximum sentence, which is just the maximum singular sentence you can give, doesn't stop them from giving it over and over and over again. Chances are extremely high that they won't ever get out of prison.

hopefully they all be executed.

I appreciate this is a highly emotive subject and I don't wish to say anything that will result me in upsetting anyone, but I don't believe killing them is the right thing to do.

Their crimes and proposed crimes are horrendous and the epitome of evil, but we should take the time and try to understand these people so we can start to offer realistic and viable methods of treatments. It's hard not to become enraged when the sexual abuse and exploitation of children is involved, but this is something we can't simply lock away or continue to ignore.

We must engage these people, try to understand them and create an environment where they feel safe coming forward before they reach a point where they act out their desires.

That is the only way to stop any more children from being abused and exploited in this horrendous way. It'll be extremely difficult to swallow our anger and emotion but we need to have a mature and empathetic discussion about what to do with people like those arrested and locking them up or calling for their death or even suggesting castration (I do understand this is an option available to some) is a short term measure that won't help children in the long run.

Symphonia

Banned
I appreciate this is a highly emotive subject and I don't wish to say anything that will result me in upsetting anyone, but I don't believe killing them is the right thing to do.

Their crimes and proposed crimes are horrendous and the epitome of evil, but we should take the time and try to understand these people so we can start to offer realistic and viable methods of treatments. It's hard not to become enraged when the sexual abuse and exploitation of children is involved, but this is something we can't simply lock away or continue to ignore.

We must engage these people, try to understand them and create an environment where they feel safe coming forward before they reach a point where they act out their desires. That is the only way to stop any more children from being abused and exploited in this horrendous way. It'll be extremely difficult to swallow our anger and emotion but we need to have a mature and empathetic discussion about what to do with people like those arrested and locking them up or calling for their death or even suggesting castration (I do understand this is an option available to some) is a short term measure that won't help children in the long run.
This is the most sensible post I've ever read on NeoGAF.

Honestly, I don't know if treatment is effective for these people. They are mentally ill, sure, but brokenly so. Some counseling sessions aren't going to fix "I get off on sexually abusing children." Unless we discover ways to rewrite their neural circuity, they're lost individuals. They're perfectly capable of pretending to be "normal" (how else have they gotten away with it for so long?) and hiding their sickness.

We have put people in prison for life for selling marijuana. But pedophiles get 15 years? Nuh uh. You're not going to fix them and they have very likely ruined that child's life. They're evil and disturbed. Fuck 'em. Life.

When you are sexually torturing children and infants, you don't deserve treatment or freedom.

These acts and this trade or whatever the hell you call it took place in Norway, most likely because the perpetrators knew they'd get light sentences if they were ever caught in Norway.

They know they'd be made an example of "how to make the bad people good again" and not have to worry losing their freedom for the rest of their lives. Maybe a couple decades, if that. But they would not be considered criminals - they'd be rehab projects.

No real punishment for their crimes. No real deterrent for other offenders out there.

It's a fucking joke.

I pity the people who want to make this into a rehabilitation success project. The victims get no justice.

This is where my thoughts usually end up. Rehabilitation is one thing but our priority should be the victim, not the criminal. These men don't deserve a second chance because some of these victims may never recover from the damage.

I wonder how these people find each other. The dark web already makes it hard to find anything. At least from the stories I've read. Most don't have traditional domain names. I can imagine there are thousands of people online everyday looking at this shit.

This is where my thoughts usually end up. Rehabilitation is one thing but our priority should be the victim, not the criminal. These men don't deserve a second chance because some of these victims may never recover from the damage.

They can recover from the damage but it is very hard, many will be predisposed to becoming pedophiles themselves. It's a vicious cycle and we're losing the battle against it, obviously.

It's a fucking joke.

Dat conjecture. You're going to have show me some data or study that validates the bolded.

Furthermore, there's evidence that pedophilia has a genetic component. Execution, castration, or life imprisonment would ensure that those genes don't get passed down.

Some researchers think capital punishment of murderers in medieval Europe contributed to its current low murder rates by reducing the "pool of violent men" able to reproduce.

Everyone who participates in shit like that should be tortured and executed. From the perpetrators all the way down to the guy who streamed it just once. Erase them all.

Cases like this really test my moral opposition to the death penalty. Because when I read the bolded stuff in the OP, I had the immediate reaction of wanting to see those people hanged, drawn, and quartered.

“We have the clear perception that like-minded individuals met with each other in the so-called dark net, where they could talk with one another and cultivate their interest in children in peace,” Reikrås said.

I'm hoping this is a poor translation?

If not, you know, maybe when you're talking about these sorts of people you try to de-emphasize how they're doing things "in peace" because that makes it sound like they aren't hurting anyone.

Waaghals

While what these people are arrested for is horrendous, there is a disturbing amount of bloodlust here.

I can't find it in my self to feel much pity for the perpetrators, but GAF is traditionally relatively cool headed and even handed when discussing punishment.

Here, however we have the calling for the purge of people.

I am not comfortable with that, regardless of what they may have done.

Media

While what these people are arrested for is horrendous, there is a disturbing amount of bloodlust here.

I can't find it in my self to feel much pity for the perpetrators, but GAF is traditionally relatively cool headed and even handed when discussing punishment.

Here, however we have the calling for the purge of people.

I am not comfortable with that, regardless of what they may have done.

I can say from personal experience that pedophilia is worse than murder sometimes when it comes to the victims. A victims life is forever derailed. They never forget it and effects them for the rest of their lives. That's why it's so hard for some of us to have any empathy at all for pedophiles. They destroy people as surely as murderers do. And yes, some pedophiles never hurt anyone, but they are always one slip away from destroying someone forever. Again, why it's so hard to have sympathy for even those that resist.

Waaghals

I can say from personal experience that pedophilia is worse than murder sometimes when it comes to the victims. A victims life is forever derailed. They never forget it and effects them for the rest of their lives. That's why it's so hard for some of us to have any empathy at all for pedophiles. They destroy people as surely as murderers do. And yes, some pedophiles never hurt anyone, but they are always one slip away from destroying someone forever. Again, why it's so hard to have sympathy for even those that resist.

I should have accounted for the fact that this may be more personal for some people than it is for me. (Is this awkwardly phrased? I am not trying to offend anyone!)

In that context the reactions make sense.

I still feel that outright calling for the deaths of people suspected of a (horrendous) crime is.... well....I just felt we were going a bit overboard.

I would like to state, for the record, that saying things like that is in no way comparable to what these people have been doing. I am not a defence force. I am not trying to diminish the damage these people are doing - it is shocking.

koji kabuto

Feed them to zoo animals, The world is a better place without them.
If i ever have a doubts about death penalty this kind of shit ends all the debates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom