• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Dark Room: Police break up massive Norwegian paedophilia ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machina

Banned
Imagine going through all that effort and your kid is ugly af.

sdQ7KQ.gif

Donos

Heard that yesterday in the news and thought about posting it. Then i thought this would be one of those threads which get locked pretty fast because of the shit the discovered/unveiled there.

They showed some people working on these cases and you saw it in there faces what they have to work through.

Really no words for this.

CTLance

Yikes. Hope both the victims and the perps get thorough counselling.

What a deeply unsettling bunch of people. How fucked in the head do you have to be to plan to have someone else molest your as of then unborn baby. It just boggles my mind. Something fundamental is broken, very deep inside that particular man.

Incredibly sad that any child has to go through this.

It's tough to know what to do with these people. You can't kill them, much as you may want to, but you probably can't treat them either. Unless lobotomy is an option.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The examples they give in the article are pretty gross.

Why does it seem like they always go into graphic detail about sexual abuse stories, especially when children are involved.

Kthulhu

Enjoy jail fuckers. Be glad you ain't in the US and actually try to become better people and get the treatment you need.

This is like that one side mission in Watch Dogs 2, but even worse.

Hope both the victims and the perps get thorough counselling.

Be glad you ain't in the US and actually try to become better people and get the treatment you need.

Agree with both of the above.

Does anyone know the procedure when it comes to particularly young children in a case like this? Are they told later on that they were abused as a child? Are they told who there parents are, or where they are? This must be one of those cases where it's better to be kept in the dark, no?

Tyrael

We had a similar police operation this week here in Brazil. A lot of people that meet and shared paedophillia material in the Darknet were arrested in various states.

CloudWolf

Fuck, those quotes. Lock them up somewhere deep within a mountain.

Also, I always feel really bad for the policemen and -women assigned to cases like this. The people who review the evidence must have some serious PTSD.

Zaru

In Norway of all places, wtf. Makes you think these rings exist in pretty much every country. :/

Worst part being that some of them seem to be connected to pretty powerful circles. Cases like those in the UK and Belgium are where conspiracy theories turn into sad reality.

Kthulhu

Whaaat? That is crazy. These people will never be rehabilitated if they are that far gone. Rape of children and babies should be automatic life.

Yup.

I am sure your amateur psychology trumps people who actually study this stuff. You'd be surprised how well rehabilitation can work if you actually put in the effort instead of basically torturing people like we do here in the US.

zoukka

From the report:

"Those facing charges can receive a maximum penalty of up to 15 years in prison."

That that is no where near enough. Life in prison at the minimum.

Sexual crimes and how they are dealt here in nordics is a fucking disgrace.

eso76

On one hand you could argue these persons are affected by some kind of mental illness and I don't think there's a lot they can do about it.
On the other side the bolded part makes me want to see them get minced.
But I guess lifetime is more fair, if they can't be treated.

Jesus fucking christ.

And people think paedophiles deserve empathy and help. Every paedophile is one lapse in judgement and giving Into their impulses away from starting down this road.

I feel sick. Really wish I didn't click into this. That guy with the pregnant girlfriend should be executed.

Busty

Banned
One of the involved men had a pregnant girlfriend and discussed plans with another man to sexually abuse the child once it was born, police said.

Yikes.

Imagine the restraint needed when dealing with a monster like that. I'm not sure that I'd have the self control not to pure gasoline over him and just set the twisted fucker ablaze as soon as I laid eyes on him.

Horrible.

Getting your wife pregnant for the sole purpose of producing a child you and your buddies can abuse/rape.

I'm having a hard time processing this part of the report.

Exactly.

More from the article...

151 terabytes
The accused include two current or former elected officials, one teacher and a lawyer

And get this...

"Norwegian police began their investigation after receiving a tip-off from the FBI, whose agents had managed to hack their way into one of the paedophilia sites and track its users.

If not for the FBI this would have kept going on...

I've never been more horrified from a story than what I've read about this.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely disgusting. Norwegian police says there's over 5000 usernames on the server/system/chat channel or whatever they used for this. Not sure how many are duplicates.

And people think paedophiles deserve empathy and help. Every paedophile is one lapse in judgement and giving Into their impulses away from starting down this road.

Pedophiles that don't act on their impulses deserve empathy and help so that they don't start down a road like this. Just ignoring them doesn't accomplish anything, and locking up anyone that admits to being a pedophile would just make it so that they never come forward. If a pedophile hasn't broken the law and wants therapy then I'm all for it.

oni_saru

I wonder if it's the website some researcher had infiltrated. I read an article about it last year. She described some of those discussions and how good the ppl on that site were about keeping their info hidden.

Glad they finally found them. Really disgusting and horrible.

KingBroly

Banned
More from the article...

151 terabytes
The accused include two current or former elected officials, one teacher and a lawyer

And get this...

"Norwegian police began their investigation after receiving a tip-off from the FBI, whose agents had managed to hack their way into one of the paedophilia sites and track its users.

I feel like if the FBI's involved here (at least on a very basic level), we're going to have a lot more of these pop up in the news.

I am sure your amateur psychology trumps people who actually study this stuff. You'd be surprised how well rehabilitation can work if you actually put in the effort instead of basically torturing people like we do here in the US.
I am definitely not a professional psychologist, but there have been plenty of cases where people got out of prison / treatment and then went and abused a child again. I've seen interviews with pedophiles who say they don't think they can ever be rehabilitated because the behavior and the urge is so deeply ingrained in them and they can't resist it.

But maybe I'm wrong and someone who rapes an infant can return to being a productive member of society.

I actually think life imprisonment is wrong in most cases including most instances of murder. Raping children happens to be an exception for me, along with serial killer kinds of murder (torture killing, killing for pleasure).

Zaru

Pedophiles that don't act on their impulses deserve empathy and help so that they don't start down a road like this. Just ignoring them doesn't accomplish anything, and locking up anyone that admits to being a pedophile would just make it so that they never come forward. If a pedophile hasn't broken the law and wants therapy then I'm all for it.

While it's a touchy subject, even pedophiles deserve some nuance, since the difference in criminal energy between acting on impulses and forming criminal organizations that sexually exploit children (for profit?) is massive.

Kthulhu

More from the article...

151 terabytes

And get this...

Absolutely disgusting. Norwegian police says there's over 5000 usernames on the server/system/chat channel or whatever they used for this. Not sure how many are duplicates.

Jesus. All those poor kids.

I'm generally more in support of prisons being used as rehabilitation into society than a tool of vindication but you can't do that with those kind of people. They have physical urges that they can't (or worse, won't) control. Even chemical castration has been shown to not be an effective tool, as it's not a guarantee those urges disappears. Really a case of life imprisonment with no parole or "good boy points" to shorten the sentence here, not as a punishing tool but to legit protect everyone in society. Child molesters are among those that have the highest rate of recidivism.

Originally Posted by Enter The 36 Chambers

I agree with that. We need to aim for prevention before an actual sexual act is done and a child is scarred. Much harder to do that if pedos that haven't acted on their urges yet don't seek help. Those that did though, lock 'em up for life.

Not that this is EVER less than absolutely terrible but my god that is a disgustingly huge amount of data. Just utterly horrifying.
They didn't specify if it was of actual relevant material or just confiscated storage. Because 3TB a piece for an average computer savvy person is exactly what you would expect to get if you confiscated all of their hardware.

Not to downplay the seriousness of their crimes, but it seems more likely to me.

Ferr986

I can't comprehend how anyone could abuse their own friggin childrens. I don't think there can be any kind of rehab for this kind of "person".

Agree with both of the above.

Does anyone know the procedure when it comes to particularly young children in a case like this? Are they told later on that they were abused as a child? Are they told who there parents are, or where they are? This must be one of those cases where it's better to be kept in the dark, no?

The children remember, not every detail, but the psychological damage is already done.

Even if a child is removed from the abusive situation, those scars do not go away.

I have pity for those that submit themselves to counseling. They're seeking help for an extremely horrible disorder has the potential to destroy lives.

For people that create a network and use their intelligence to satisfy their sexual urges at the cost of others, I have no pity. I cannot speak for Norway or its laws around this, so I can only say that I hope they are prosecuted to the full extent of the law, monitored for the rest of their lives, and shunned by society.

May they burn in whatever hell they believe in thereafter.

Aizo

Banned
This is very good news. I hope that the sort of people that would harm children are never able to interact with those they could hurt again. Horrible, horrible stuff.

Camwi

More from the article...

151 terabytes

And get this...

This is the exact kind of shit that those idiots in the FBI need to concentrate on, instead of fucking over politicians.

Shredderi

Jesus fucking christ.

I feel sick. Really wish I didn't click into this. That guy with the pregnant girlfriend should be executed.

I feel sick too. That's pretty tough to achieve in today's world. That fucking bolded part... I mean that is like pure evil. As for feeling sympathy for pedophiles (not pederasts), I do feel sympathy for individuals who were born with fucked up tendencies. I've read about individuals who were born with sick desires that they themselves hated and knew was wrong and ultimately, in order to not hurt anyone, voluntarily got themselves castrated chemically. I do feel sympathy for that kind of individual.

gatling

Poor children. So much sadness due to the amount.

I really hope the people who have to handle the investigation and files hold up okay as well. I cant imagine what it takes to do a job like this, especially long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom