• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: Next Gen 2020 Hype is Underwhelming

SCB3

I kinda agree, right now I think I'd rather upgrade my PC over a new console, even if I do get one this year, Xbox Series X is not looking all that enticing if you have a decent PC, which I do, at least the PS5 has exclusives like Spiderman that I'd wanna play at launch

I kinda agree, right now I think I'd rather upgrade my PC over a new console, even if I do get one this year, Xbox Series X is not looking all that enticing if you have a decent PC, which I do, at least the PS5 has exclusives like Spiderman that I'd wanna play at launch
I'm already set for Cyberpunk 2077, which is my most anticipated game this year. I plan on switching out my Ryzen 7 2700X for the Ryzen 4000 series. Still a good CPU, but it's bottlenecking the RTX 2080 Ti.

Isa

I was completely not hyped for this gen as well. I think most people forget what it actually was like to own a PS4 in the early years. There was nothing to play for 2 years. Remember, everyone thought consoles were going to die and be phased out by phones? No companies were even making games until they saw the sales numbers. I got it at launch and played Resogun for maybe an hour before being bored with it. I got inFamous SS months later, and MGS: Ground Zeroes and beat both of them 4x a piece (GZ even more), because there was nothing to play. Stuff like DmC: HD port was actually considered an important release. Lots of HD ports. I spent literally 2 years playing almost entirely Wii U and 3DS, which had far better games at the time.

This gen is starting out even slower. I don't anticipate anything major for 2 years. It's mostly going to be games that look like current gen for years. Lots of ports. Lots of multi-console, multi-gen games with better frame rate and a few extra effects and faster loading. There's not even a showpiece graphics game this time like Killzone, which most people didn't really like, but still showed off the console a bit.

Anyone thinking we're going to get radically improved games soon is setting themselves up for disappointment. This is the same as last time, but even slower, more secretive, and with even less announced.

Totally agree. My friends and I still ponder over how much time we spent doing f-all with the PS4 for the first 2 years. Destiny was a good time sink but was ultimately boring for us, I feel like PS4 came into its own when Bloodborne released. I still dislike the trend of "HD" ports. I had my PS3 hooked up well into 2018/9 and recently reconnected it for some other games I've gone back to.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I’m not feeling the hype because of my 850+ game retro backlog, 1000+ games on Steam, Humble Monthly, Xbox Gamepass, about 75 Switch games, and my PS4/XB1 backlog.

I’m just never hurting so much for anything to play to make want to spend $600 to buy into a sparse lineup with slightly better looking games than what the PS4 Pro and XB1X can do and probably look about the same as what my 1080ti can do.

So when you come at me with “Spider-Man DLC” and “Please buy Halo and Ratchet and Clank in 2021”, that’s just not a super tempting offer right now.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I'm already set for Cyberpunk 2077, which is my most anticipated game this year. I plan on switching out my Ryzen 7 2700X for the Ryzen 4000 series. Still a good CPU, but it's bottlenecking the RTX 2080 Ti.

Yea, the PC is pretty much in the green right now. With FS2020 starting the nextgen and Ampere coming in September.

Really? Assuming they're around $600 or less, that's still one of the best price/performance propositions in a while. That's a pretty good reason.

“What does Emily want for Christmas this year?”

“She said she wants the new Xbox or PS because they have a good price to performance ratio.”

“That makes sense to me. People get a lot of enjoyment from price to performance ratio. I’m going to the store now to spend $600.”

dezzy8

I think it’s because they are holding everything so close to their chest and spoon feeding us little hits and pieces every couple of months. It’s the middle of August and we still don’t even have a solid release date for either console.

Reactions: Isa

xPikYx

I think this is the worst pre release era ever, it's never been so frustrating waiting for new consoles as well as the generational leap has never been so low. As a gamer the worst ever

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
“What does Emily want for Christmas this year?”

“She said she wants the new Xbox or PS because they have a good price to performance ratio.”

“That makes sense to me. People get a lot of enjoyment from price to performance ratio. I’m going to the store now to spend $600.”
Still a good reason
🤷‍♂️

bender

What time is it?
I'm in the underwhelmed camp as well. I think that mostly has to do with being mostly fine with the fidelity of games these days. I'm excited for the PS5 installments of R&C and Spider Man but I still think the PS4 versions of those games look amazing. Faster loading times and hopefully quieter machines (looking at you Sony) is the thing I'm most excited for.

Combination of arrogance and incompetence is leading to what may be the biggest console launch flops since the Wii U, Virtual Boy and Xbox One.

Except its now going to be simultaneously the two supposed big hitters of the home console industry in both Sony and Xbox.

We could be looking at the next games industry crash.

The funny thing is it will be because neither one of them is even fucking trying. That's the maddening thing here. They seem to just assume they can release these without fanfare and the idiot drones will buy them en masse.

They are only partially right. The fanboys will buy anything but they are failing to excite even the moderate game enthusiasts.

FlyLo

I can't wait for next gen. the PS4 can barely run its own store and UI, let alone games like Cyberpunk and Avengers. Need new hardware asap.

Combination of arrogance and incompetence is leading to what may be the biggest console launch flops since the Wii U, Virtual Boy and Xbox One.

Except its now going to be simultaneously the two supposed big hitters of the home console industry in both Sony and Xbox.

We could be looking at the next games industry crash.

The funny thing is it will be because neither one of them is even fucking trying. That's the maddening thing here. They seem to just assume they can release these without fanfare and the idiot drones will buy them en masse.

They are only partially right. The fanboys will buy anything but they are failing to excite even the moderate game enthusiasts.
Interesting take here, so what made the Switch launch a success? For one thing, Wii U was non-existant to the market that is buying the Switch now. Breath of the Wild was supposed to be the biggest Wii U title released, until it was pushed as a launch title for the Switch. People bought a Switch for Zelda, and now it's Nintendo's Second best selling hardware. If there's one thing, is that a big enticing game is indeed needed to sell hardware

dottme

I'm in the boat also. I'm mainly worried about the over-heating and the size of the console. I think it will be good to wait from upgrade this time. I feel there can be some really big improvement.
And I'm quite happy with current generation so I feel I can wait a little more.

• Thoughtful

Ellery

Super excited, but to be fair I am also a hardware person and I am looking forward to experiecing the DualSense enormously. For me the next generation of consoles marks a new chapter where I transition from a 10 year old 1080p TV to a new 4K HDR (maybe OLED/QLED) and a new console with top notch hardware that rivals that of my High End PC.

Demon's Souls Remake is a big one for me and Gran Turismo 7 as well. Returnal looks like a mega sleeper hit.

It won't be long until we see a big jump and people will realize it when they actually see the games in motion on their TVs and I swear every console gamer (especially those that don't own a High End PC) are going to be overwhelmed by what the NVME SSD can do in the PS5. Things are going to be extremely responsive and fast.
The graphic leap will come. Maybe not in 2020 and maybe not for the first 6 months or so, but eventually we will get the first AAAA fully developed for PS5 exclusive game from talented people that will make our jaws drop and then the barrier is broken and there is no going back.

The transitional phase will be a bit confusing with all the upgrades and people will be disappointed by PS4/Xbox One games running on the new consoles. Don't expect any miracle for games like Watch Dogs Legion or Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Those games are probably going to look nearly 1:1 like they do on the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.

As soon as we are past that initial phase everybody will have forgotten all the talk we have had here, all the worries and all the uncertainty.

Interesting take here, so what made the Switch launch a success? For one thing, Wii U was non-existant to the market that is buying the Switch now. Breath of the Wild was supposed to be the biggest Wii U title released, until it was pushed as a launch title for the Switch. People bought a Switch for Zelda, and now it's Nintendo's Second best selling hardware. If there's one thing, is that a big enticing game is indeed needed to sell hardware
Mainline Zelda on the go, teases of Nintendo having serious first few years, which they did, and promise of that to continue, which it didn't, but people kept buying anyway.

There is nothing comparable to the launches of PS5 or Series X. Not even to previous console launches. This is compounded by wider industry issues of there simply being less 3rd party games than ever, widespread GAAS, and other things dampening the impact of a nextgen actually happening.

This is the most underwelming, ho-hum, nothing burger transition I've ever seen and while it may not reflect in the initial wave of sales it may in the Spring if things continue on this course.

Or, you know, maybe the next Sony/Xbox release will bring the hype.... right?

Nah. They both blew their loads already and it wasn't impressive.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
My hype is really low. Early trailers looked interesting, but as we start to see actual gameplay for games launching this year I don't see a reason to waste the money right now. I'm not going to buy something right away just because it "has potential".

You know next gen will last another 6-7 years. Crossgen games will not show us what these consoles are capable of, but at the end of next year we will get to see the first real next gen games experiences and all the skepticism will be forgotten. Happens at the start of each gen.

Until then the PS5 will play current gen and cross gen games better than its predecessor. I can play with a new controller, it's fun to have these new toys. I don't see the point of waiting a year or more. If there's a price cut in Nov 2021, I might save 100 euro at most. That's nonsense. I'd be depriving myself of something I've been looking forward too for a long time in order to save an amount of money I spend on just one of my hobbies weekly without giving it any thought.

Yeah, the hype is underwhelming almost like they are not ready next generation to launch. Supposedly we are approximately 3 months away from and no official release dates or prices yet. I feel they will probably be expensive which could be indicative of them hiding prices, all the CGI running wildly yet again probably isn’t a good sign of release dates and real-time graphics, games still running on PC’s, unknown launch titles, too many rumors, etc.

Not helping that there is still seemingly a lot of life left in the current generation systems and they all still even look admirably impressive for their age. My question is, what have been going on for these 7 elongated years especially with Microsoft?

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Couldn't care less tbh. Sony and MS waiting for the other to blink before announcing a price is pathetic, none of the games look notably better than the best of the current generation and most of them are going to be available on last gen systems which takes the shine of them somewhat. nVidia announcing monster GPU's next month doesn't help matters either. We're being promised state of the art and PC GPU's (at an obscene cost admittedly) will wipe the floor with the new consoles before they're even out the door.

I'm honestly more interested in what Nintendo does next. Give me an updated Switch that can provide God of War or Uncharted 4 quality in my hands and a happy camper I'll be.

Just like what the title says. Please don't start any flame wars, but news and hype for both the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 is indeed underwhelming. Granted, we're still under a pandemic, it has ruined a lot of plans for announcements, and cancelled E3 2020 (Event is dying anyways).

Yes, new hardware is great, especially powerful hardware pushing for 4K and 120 FPS, but what good is it when we still don't know how much these toys cost, or what we'll be playing this Holiday? Halo Infinite is delayed until 2021, and Spiderman: Miles Morales is a glorified expansion.

What we know so far, the return of 2 SKU's just like Gen 7. Xbox Series X isn't the only new Xbox hardware coming out, and Sony will launch the SAD Edition of the PS5. This is indicating that the new hardware isn't going to be cheap. MS will rely on Gamepass and partners that will implement xCloud services (Samsung). Sony will be traditional, rely on hype and ride on the PS4's success.

But What about Nintendo? Well, they do their own thing of course. The next Nintendo Console is still long ways off, but at least they announced that they're still keeping the Hybrid Concept moving forward. However, their second half of 2020 is baron. Complete Gamecube level baron of not knowing what's the big Holiday game coming out, and only rumors of repackaged 3D Mario games, as well an already completed Metroid Prime Trilogy awaiting for a release date. Hell, I'll be scorning Nintendo if the only big Fall game is Pikmin 3.

What do you Gaffers feel about next gen? Are you excited, or as underwhelmed as I am? The PS4 still has some games kicking to it, and Ghost of Tsushima is fantastic. MS will continue to hype Gamepass more, and Nintendo will continue to rely on "Surprises." In my honest opinion, I think Next Gen should have been delayed for another year. That way, next-gen games will be ready and be shown with polish, and also pricing would not be so worrisome.

I know that I'm probably the only one on NeoGaf who truly wanted both Sony and MS to delay launching their new systems to Fall 2021. None of the games are ready. There are no next-gen console exclusives yet, and I'm not even sure if there will be any by that time. But at the very least, we'll be closer to the exclusives' launch window, and perhaps will be able to incorporate the latest tech, like Big Navi, into the two next-gen systems.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I know that I'm probably the only one on NeoGaf who truly wanted both Sony and MS to delay launching their new systems to Fall 2021.
Your wish may still come true. I don't see a delay all the way to Fall, that would be impossible because they can't sit on those manufactured consoles for a year, but I could easily see th we getting pushed out to March-April.

Hawk269

Covid-19 has disrupted almost everything across the planet. If it were not for Covid-19, we would of had E3 with all that is included, games would not be suffering from delays and we would have pricing and pre-orders already. When you take all that into account, it is something that most would think to this upcoming gen being underwhelming. I mean if you look at the stuff that has been announced all the exciting stuff is late 2021 or 2022 and beyond.

I am looking forward to Day 1 though. I love opening new consoles, checking out the features and UI and what unique things they have. For Xbox Series X I am really looking forward to what the BC team has in store of us. I have a Xbox One X and been playing through the Halo games and on the "X" at 4k and 60fps for most games it is truly amazing looking. I look forward to the BC for PS5 as well, we just have not heard much about it. There is not a ton of "new" games coming for each of the consoles, but still looking forward to both of them. But yeah, underwhelming is a good word to use.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Really should hold both back a year give them time to get some games ready. Crazy launching $600+ machines with 0 major 1st party games.

Ian Henry

Everyone says E3 is "dying" but I believe that there is nothing like it in terms of atmosphere, anticipation, and fanfare. It's at it's best when next gen arrives. Tbh E3's absence this year was a bummer cause these livestream conferences were not it. Microsoft & Sony did not do a good job as I hope promoting next gen but I hope it'll get better.

TheMan

Yeah I agree. Companies did not pivot well at all after e3 was cancelled. The online “conferences” were tepid at best and did nothing to get my bussy moist.

these consoles clearly have potential but I see no killer app to push me to upgrade, especially since I just bought a pc.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I'm very hyped for the next generation for these games

Spider-man Miles Morales
The Witcher spinoff
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Naughty Dog's new IP
Returnal
Nier
Astro's Playroom
Horizon Forbidden West
Godfall
God of War
No STALKER 2, game which is bigger than those games combined? : P

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I will be getting both consoles but there honestly hasn’t been one solid launch game for me that’s been shown. It is all very bland and boring.

LordOfChaos

Don't you think this happens most times, and people might be putting too much importance on launch? I got my PS4 two years into the generation when there was already a good library to play and I've always had something to play since. I too got caught up in the hype of launch titles, but after thinking about it for a while, it probably doesn't matter to me.

As for new generations not blowing your pants off right away, that's also always the case, wait for developers to stretch the hardwares legs.

MiguelItUp

Where we're currently at, I definitely agree. I want to get hyped on the new consoles and at the moment I really don't care. It sucks, honestly. I want to care, but right now all I see is a potentially $500+ paperweight, regardless of which I get. So I'm just gonna stick to my PC and watch until something makes me want to bite. But I guess it's gonna be a bit until there's an exclusive that makes me dive in.

Even the games I'm excited about, I'm not SUPER hyped about. Just moderately interested or slightly excited. I wanna be hyped AF damnit. 🥺

Don't you think this happens most times, and people might be putting too much importance on launch? I got my PS4 two years into the generation when there was already a good library to play and I've always had something to play since. I too got caught up in the hype of launch titles, but after thinking about it for a while, it probably doesn't matter to me.

As for new generations not blowing your pants off right away, that's also always the case, wait for developers to stretch the hardwares legs.
A console launch DOES matter! You better be sure you have a game people will buy that will sell hardware moving forward. Just 1 particular game that will wow people and expect more to come. That's why the Switch succeeded and the Wii U didn't. The 3DS had a slow start because there was literally nothing to play until Sony launched the Vita

quest

Not Banned from OT
Between covid and no E3 it ruined the fun of a console launch. With out E3 to force the issue news is just dragged out so slow it runs the fun. Still getting a system day 1 but the endless wait on news is tiring.

SinDelta

Next gen has promise, but it has to show far more than it has right now.

Sony, Microsoft have had events for better and worse. Nintendo has revealed next to nothing, baring a few of their releases.

Looks absolutely amazing, as in the trailer looks like what one would expect the next gen of games to look like-
Horizon II Forbidden West

Looks amazing to me, but seeing backlash over the artstyle-
Demon Souls Remake

Look promising-
Kena: Bridge of Spirits
The Medium
Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne Remaster

Not enough info- All of them really, but more specifically
Avowed
Monolith Soft unrevealed projects
Shin Megami Tensei V

Might as well not even exist with total absence of updates-
Breath of the Wild 2
Metroid Prime 4
Bayanata 3
Age of Empires 4 - Where the heck is it??
Bioshock - Reboot??
Harry Potter RPG

Last edited:

ShinNL

Welcome to my world. I've felt this way after the Xbox/PS2/GC and wrote about it back then.
And I wasn't too far off with my prediction of no new game genres since then.

Ill be honest, without SOCOM, after many rumours dont get snnounced for ps5, its going be another year just- ill be pickin up the ps5 but im not as excited about it as i would past console gens

Last edited:
Top Bottom