• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: Next Gen 2020 Hype is Underwhelming

Sometimes, a person who is a first adopter, stops being a first adopter. And that is fine.

Being a first adoptor is not for everyone. There is many down sides to buying the first batch of hardware. However, just realize that it isn't the hardware that is at fault; it is simply that your own priorities changed. If you want to wait a few years before buying into next gen, it doesn't mean next gen failed you. Don't blame the machine for your change in preferences.

jaysius

Banned
I've said it before, this generation is limited by the profit margins they want for the hardware. Right now these machines could have been better, but they want profit margins, even though both companies will put on the poor faces about "We're losing money on every unit" that they do EVERY gen now. They'll both be doing FINE with the prices, what will suffer is the consumers. We probably won't get 120fps with great fidelity. 8K is a dream. I'm guessing both machines are using baked in Vsync as crutch.

The generation will probably end early and piss everyone off. It's just an odd time to make a jump dollar/tech wise. Except for raytracing things have become pretty stagnant.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Agree. I'm resigned to just clearing out my backlog, which admittedly has a ton of great games like Witcher III, Red Dead, etc, instead of diving into or getting excited about new releases.

As a Marvel fan, I should be excited about Avengers, but...meh... I guess I've just run out of GaaS when it comes to 10 year plans, 10x different currencies, battle passes, etc stuffed into games.

Ten_Fold

No E3 really fucked up the hype imo. We probably would’ve gotten price, small trash talk, an the public trying out both systems, also we would’ve gotten a Nintendo direct as well. Now they can drip feed everything it’s just not exciting.

BlackTron

There are never good reasons to buy a new console at release.

Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg

latest

The_Legend_of_Zelda_Breath_of_the_Wild.jpg

Derktron

Banned
Have to agree, next generation hype is dying on me, lack of enough information, not enough showing of games, and yeah the blame can be put the world events took place but even before that, the lack of information is off putting.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Both Sony and MS should seriously considering pushing back their consoles.

The economy is a train wreck and even if all this stuff went away tomorrow, it's still going to be a train wreck. These consoles are very expensive. The advertising/marketing/PR spin-up can't get fully under way. The developers can't work at max or even close to it because of the work at home thing. I just don't see the point of releasing $500+ video game consoles with sparse game libraries into an economy with 30 million unemployed people. It just seems like a terrible idea.

OrtizTwelve

Just like what the title says. Please don't start any flame wars, but news and hype for both the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 is indeed underwhelming. Granted, we're still under a pandemic, it has ruined a lot of plans for announcements, and cancelled E3 2020 (Event is dying anyways).

Yes, new hardware is great, especially powerful hardware pushing for 4K and 120 FPS, but what good is it when we still don't know how much these toys cost, or what we'll be playing this Holiday? Halo Infinite is delayed until 2021, and Spiderman: Miles Morales is a glorified expansion.

What we know so far, the return of 2 SKU's just like Gen 7. Xbox Series X isn't the only new Xbox hardware coming out, and Sony will launch the SAD Edition of the PS5. This is indicating that the new hardware isn't going to be cheap. MS will rely on Gamepass and partners that will implement xCloud services (Samsung). Sony will be traditional, rely on hype and ride on the PS4's success.

But What about Nintendo? Well, they do their own thing of course. The next Nintendo Console is still long ways off, but at least they announced that they're still keeping the Hybrid Concept moving forward. However, their second half of 2020 is baron. Complete Gamecube level baron of not knowing what's the big Holiday game coming out, and only rumors of repackaged 3D Mario games, as well an already completed Metroid Prime Trilogy awaiting for a release date. Hell, I'll be scorning Nintendo if the only big Fall game is Pikmin 3.

What do you Gaffers feel about next gen? Are you excited, or as underwhelmed as I am? The PS4 still has some games kicking to it, and Ghost of Tsushima is fantastic. MS will continue to hype Gamepass more, and Nintendo will continue to rely on "Surprises." In my honest opinion, I think Next Gen should have been delayed for another year. That way, next-gen games will be ready and be shown with polish, and also pricing would not be so worrisome.

There are a lot people who feel the same way. The reality is as of current, there is no need to rush out and buy either next gen XBOX or PlayStation this year in 2020. Halo infinite was the only launch title probably worth buying, yet that has been delayed. And PlayStation has what, Spider-Man? Not really a big deal unless you’re a Spider-Man fan or are a teenager.

So far, unless there are some secret launch announcements we don’t know about yet, both next gen offerings for this year’s launch are totally lackluster.

Klayzer

There are a lot people who feel the same way. The reality is as of current, there is no need to rush out and buy either next gen XBOX or PlayStation this year in 2020. Halo infinite was the only launch title probably worth buying, yet that has been delayed. And PlayStation has what, Spider-Man? Not really a big deal unless you’re a Spider-Man fan or are a teenager.

So far, unless there are some secret launch announcements we don’t know about yet, both next gen offerings for this year’s launch are totally lackluster.
I don't know. This version of the Spiderman IP is currently more popular/profitable than the current version of Halo. 15 mil plus for a franchise is not something to take for granted/overlook.

gypsygib

Both companies are doing their best to give us reasons to not buy any of their products

The way this is going, the only winner is Nintendo -- cheaper console with superior games (not interactive movies)

I love interactive movies, so do millions of others according to sales data but to each their own. Obviously the majority of the fan base isn't buying any one type of game.

I don't know. This version of the Spiderman IP is currently more popular/profitable than the current version of Halo. 15 mil plus for a franchise is not something to take for granted/overlook.
No offense, but I can't help but think that Spiderman: Miles Morales is nothing more than a glorified expansion of the original game. Much like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to Human Revolution. Granted, they're different games.

Klayzer

No offense, but I can't help but think that Spiderman: Miles Morales is nothing more than a glorified expansion of the original game. Much like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to Human Revolution. Granted, they're different games.
Maybe. But will the majority think that way when they see a new Spiderman game for the PS5.

FlyLo

Cyberpunk 2077 is probably gonna look and run like garbage on the base PS4/Xbox One, so there's also that.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Just the mere thought of Demon's Souls remade from the ground up is enough to make me hyped for next gen. That is what I'm buying a PS5 for. And then I have Cyberpunk, Scarlet Nexus, Horizon 2, Ratchet & Clank and Kena to look forward too in the launch window. I'd say I'm covered as far as games go for the start of next generation.
Ratchet has been confirmed as being in the “launch window”? Where and by whom? Also, a nebulous “2021“ date for HZD2 I wouldn’t necessarily consider launch window, that shit could be Holiday 2021.

Bkdk

Hardware wise only rtx 3000 series lived up to the hype, should be releasing way earlier than next gen consoles, also with flight, it would be fun to max out graphics with. A great ‘launch’ title for the pc.

For console lineup it will likely be disappointing till 2022 at this point, then upgraded version will be out late 2023, there’s no point to even get a new console at all till their mid gen version.

I couldn't care less about next gen. As long as we get cool indie and AA cross gen games plus ports of old games to PC (Silent hill, MGS, Ninja Garden) I'll be golden.
Cant wait for that Ninja Garden. Just chopping up all those unwanted frizzy overgrown hedges with my fine ninja blades 🥳 (what bothers me worse is you took the time to capitalize the N and G and still spelt it wrong lol)

Last edited:

Pejo

I agree OP, other than a few CG trailers we haven't really gotten anything to be excited about yet.

Saaleh

Banned
Spider man, Probably Next gen experience
Ratchet, unique design
Gt7 , more realistic, hoping for VR2.
Kena, unique art style.
Horizon 2, next gen graphics
Demon souls, screenshots looks awesome
New OS experience
Dual sense will make anything exciting again.
3d sound, [talking about bugsnax] nostalgia.

This line up is far more valuable than ps4 launch

people keep downplaying all of that. This is the first showcase, wait until we get to the 2nd round, it is painful to wait but sony obviously have more to share and it is not realistic to be disappointed before that 2nd round.

Stop reflecting xbox failures into playstation

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I'm hyped as fuck to have a new OS and no load times.
Plus miles is gonna be a banger.

And the upcoming games lineup from Sony looks fantastic. R&C, Horizon, Demons Souls, GT7, etc.
I can't play those on a PS4.

People trying hard to associate the Xbox dissapointments to PS5, but I don't see it.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Ratchet, unique design
Kena, unique art style.
New OS experience

people keep downplaying all of that. This is the first showcase, wait until we get to the 2nd round, it is painful to wait but sony obviously have more to share and it is not realistic to be disappointed before that 2nd round.

This is a jim "money hat" Ryan failure. He can show more anytime. Andrew House and his crew did. Instead of trying to be clever to show how great he is show things. House and crew understood showing the fans the goods early and not caring what Microsoft or Nintendo would respond with. I miss those guys real gamers who got it. Microsoft shit the bed in 2013 but house and crew still created great hype starting in February and not being secret squirrels to stroke ego's.

Jerm411

Nah I’m still hyped, can’t wait for launch!

Beyond Light at 4K/60 launching on Gamepass, The Ascent, Cyberpunk, Valhalla, shiny new console and controller, QoL improvements, SSD, better FPS...could go on and on.

So ready for next gen....

Saaleh

Banned
This is a jim "money hat" Ryan failure. He can show more anytime. Andrew House and his crew did. Instead of trying to be clever to show how great he is show things. House and crew understood showing the fans the goods early and not caring what Microsoft or Nintendo would respond with. I miss those guys real gamers who got it. Microsoft shit the bed in 2013 but house and crew still created great hype starting in February and not being secret squirrels to stroke ego's.
Yes, we all prefer the marketing plan of the ps4

I would agree with you if wasn't for corona. In corona age, it wasn't easy to produce disks for tlou2. It even got delayed just because of the logistics, So imagine how corona effected everything related to the ps5, yes, they are very very late in showing us things, some things may get/got delayed but they are still delivering us everything they planned.

Ratchet, unique design
Kena, unique art style.
New OS experience

This line up is far more valuable than ps4 launch

This really a too each their own view. To me

Spiderman looks like it should be a PS4 DLC. Neon and puddles do not make it next gen, but we'll see.

Rachet looks good, but it still just looks like an R&C game at its core..

No a GT fan plus the sense of speed seemed off to me in the video.

Kena - I'll buy for PS4 when they release it.

Horizon 2 - looks great and I'd like to play it. But Horizon is also a weirdly polarizing title.. a lot of people found it dull.

Not a Demon Souls fan, plus I don't get the appeal of remakes.

Don't care about new OS.. its an OS, not exactly hype material.

I'm more concerned about controller comfort than gimmicks. I don't want to wag my controller to spraypaint. Make it comfortable and make the batteries last if not replaceable.

This isn't downplaying or projecting xbox failures onto the PS5 launch. They just haven't shown anything that really wows at this point. Will there eventually be stuff? Absolutely, but launch looks pretty sparse so far. Xbox is in similar boat. Only game that really wowed me so far is Flight Simulator, which is PC at this time.

Last edited:

Klik

Agree. It feels like next gen console are coming in 2021,not in 3 months. There should be a lot more hype surrounding new consoles, eapecially knowing the are really powerful

Saaleh

Banned
I’m way more hyped for next gen than I was for current gen. But I understand if people are underwhelmed after the craig reveal.
With the ps5 architecture and the history of Sony's studios, it is really exciting to think of what we might see soon and in the end of next generation. That's what makes me buy a new gen console.
This really a too each their own view. To me

Spiderman looks like it should be a PS4 DLC. Neon and puddles do not make it next gen, but we'll see.

Rachet looks good, but it still just looks like an R&C game at its core..

No a GT fan plus the sense of speed seemed off to me in the video.

Kena - I'll buy for PS4 when they release it.

Horizon 2 - looks great and I'd like to play it. But Horizon is also a weirdly polarizing title.. a lot of people found it dull.

Not a Demon Souls fan, plus I don't get the appeal of remakes.

Don't care about new OS.. its an OS, not exactly hype material.

I'm more concerned about controller comfort than gimmicks. I don't want to wag my controller to spraypaint. Make it comfortable and make the batteries last if not replaceable.

This isn't downplaying or projecting xbox failures onto the PS5 launch. They just haven't shown anything that really wows at this point. Will there eventually be stuff? Absolutely, but launch looks pretty sparse so far. Xbox is in similar boat. Only game that really wowed me so far is Flight Simulator, which is PC at this time.
That's your subjective taste, nothing is wrong with that. But that doesn't mean that what sony showed was average. To most people the whole list or part of it is very very impressive and looks next gen. Go and watch all the reaction videos of the ps5 event and you will see that most of the people were impressed and satisfied. So you are the minority here, Sony is trying to catch the majority and they did.

My taste is strict too like you, but judging from what was shown I can easily imagine how great the games i like will look like in the future and it is exciting/promising. I can't say the same with xbox since their studios are average, xbox's vision is average and their showcase was below average to most people.

I think the more we see from spider man, gt7, horizon and ratchet, the more we compare them to previous iterations , the more we get hyped. Lets see in the 2nd showing..

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
If we were going from XB1 and PS4 base consoles to these machines the hype would be massive, but we had those mid gen upgrades and that just means especially at launch the leap doesn't look that massive. I'm still pretty impressed by my One X on a 4k HDR TV, it doesn't feel old to me. Going from my One S would be a different story.

I can't wait until Digital Foundry put the Xbox One X version of say Far Cry 6 against the Series S version, going to be fascinating!

With the ps5 architecture and the history of Sony's studios, it is really exciting to think of what we might see soon and in the end of next generation. That's what makes me buy a new gen console.

That's your subjective taste, nothing is wrong with that. But that doesn't mean that what sony showed was average. To most people the whole list or part of it is very very impressive and looks next gen. Go and watch all the reaction videos of the ps5 event and you will see that most of the people were impressed and satisfied. So you are the minority here, Sony is trying to catch the majority and they did.

My taste is strict too like you, but judging from what was shown I can easily imagine how great the games i like will look like in the future and it is exciting/promising. I can't say the same with xbox since their studios are average, xbox's vision is average and their showcase was below average to most people.

I think the more we see from spider man, gt7, horizon and ratchet, the more we compare them to previous iterations , the more we get hyped. Lets see in the 2nd showing..
Taste is subjective. To me neither console showed anything in the Launch window that warranted dropping $500 on a new console. Great game will come from both consoles, no doubt, but so far launch isn't exactly filled with anything that sets the generations apart.

Hudo

Have to agree. I think this is the first generation where I don't see a good reason to get a new console.
So much this.

And also: This drip-feed of information with streams every other month or so is really annoying and none of the streams so far have been really good in the sense of "I am glad that I stayed up for this!". And what's up with playing chicken with regards to the price? Both MS and Sony are behaving like fucking children and that Sony, as the market leader (going by the numbers), are apparently so worried about what the next Xbox might cost, is telling me that they aren't 100% confident about their console and/or their launch lineup...

I fucking miss E3.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

This is the first generation of consoles that I’ve ever been on the fence about.
At this point in time I’ll likely wait 6-12 months before getting one, depending if either look more appealing in that time.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
There is that ps5 Indy game, Kena that looks super cute. Nothing else besides r&c excite me. I am starting to just prefer retro games.

Kena does look good. R&C on PS4 was great, btw.

I was excited for Halo. Now I’m looking at the Cyberpunk 2077 (which won’t have the full next gen upgrade at launch), The Ascent, The Medium and Scorn.

I’m also just really excited about the tech, quick resume and faster load times.

With all that said, it’s a far less exciting year than 2013 and waiting to play Killzone and BF4 at launch

Xtib81

I'm buying a ps5 day one but yeah, the last couple of months have been really disappointing. Almost nothing to be excited about, shitty reveals, a lack of communication ..

Stuart360

Its hard to say how the excitement is with the general gamers, and the more casual side. All the more hardcore gamers on sites like this are more bothered about putting down each console and the games.
Imo covid has had a much bigger effect on Xbox and Playstation than they are letting on, at least game wise. I think at least one of them would like to delay launch, if they thought they could get away with it.

magnumpy

the beginning of every generation is underwhelming. look back at previous systems like the nes or sega genesis. the truly great games weren't the launch titles; it took years before the really great games came out.

cormack12

Gold Member
Ratchet, unique design
Kena, unique art style.
New OS experience

This isn't a launch lineup though. Purely this is about weak lineups at launch. From that list you've posted we only know of Miles Morales that will be there day one.

Ratchet - releasing when?
Gt7 - releasing when?
Kena - will be played on BC until they release the free patch
Horizon 2 - targeted April+ 2021
Demon souls - releasing when?

So basically you're looking at

PS5 day one with Miles Morales IF you like Spider-Man
BC for any flagships you haven't played

Which is why a lot of people are saying having a 'boost mode' and faster loading isn't really worth the launch outlay. I'm just ignoring the bottom three to pad out the list, no one buys a console for the OS lmao. You buy a console based on games even if it has a shitty OS and you deal with it.

the beginning of every generation is underwhelming. look back at previous systems like the nes or sega genesis. the truly great games weren't the launch titles; it took years before the really great games came out.

I think being stung by last gen is still reembered, and I think given the amount of delays to AAA, plue the uncertainty of COVID has given the impression that actually there is no urgency to jump in as early as we used to. Given the time it now takes to develop AAA, it's unlikely you'll get a surprise title dropped in the first year as well so people are taking all this into account. All the patches for next gen havent been confirmed with timescales and will also probably be 12 months out to prevent people holding of on purchases now for next financial year too. We will be using BC/boost for a long time before they drop.

From my perspective ,first 'must-play' is Horizon, and I'm expecting delays. The only other is the new Battlefield in Q4 of 2021 on (hopefully) next gen only. I'm not paying for a boost mode and an SSD

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Ratchet has been confirmed as being in the “launch window”? Where and by whom? Also, a nebulous “2021“ date for HZD2 I wouldn’t necessarily consider launch window, that shit could be Holiday 2021.

No one has confirmed it. It's just me taking an educated guess. Who gives a fuck anyway? The games are still coming, plenty of other games to play in the meantime while waiting for them to arrive.

martino

give me price, release date and let's me see public unit running stuff on it to see how the real thing compare to the promises and i could probably project me a little more and be hyped...
For now i'm still in doubt they will launch.

Last edited:

mejin

2020 has been glorious for me with ps4 killer lineup. It just gets an extra hype for the next PlayStation.

People out there are just starving for PS5. Any little info or image get tons of views.

MayauMiao

I'm more excited if Nintendo annouces Switch 2. PS5 offering is a bit weak. XSeX can launch tomorrow and I still won't even care.

Hardware wise I'm only excited about Nvidia 3000 series.

When it comes to software, Microsoft Flight Simulator and Cyberpunk 2077.

Nothing console specific really excites me.

I’m super excited for a PS5. But I agree with you on a couple of points OP. I hate this small little trickle of information spread out over months. I miss a massive E3 event where they just dropped everything on us at one time. I remember the PS4 event. It was in June and the excitement to get the console later in the fall was palpable.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
The biggest problem is it's mid August and still don't know price and release date for either console. On top of that we know less about PS5 no system tear down, no OS info, and no idea which titles will be launch window. This slow trickle of info is killing all excitement for me.

Top Bottom