• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange is the New Black S5 |OT| New blood. New rules - Netflix June 9th

CaramelMarx

Neo Member
Absolutely loved this season - in fact, I watched it twice. It reminded me of movies like 'The Great Escape' or 'Lord of the Flies' but with all women, and with a powerful and actually progressive social cause to rally around to boot!

Call me sexist, but I straight up didn't know a 'Lord of the Flies' or 'Apocalypse Now' with an all women cast would work as well as it does. I didn't know that, because nobody before Orange... had the courage to try. I thought this season was intense, funny, poignant, sad, and extremely bold.

Amory

My girlfriend and I are 4 episodes in and ready to quit if something doesn't happen soon. Shit is boring.

Also please, please stop with the back stories for every single minor character. That one they did for the prison administration lady was absurd and it's clear they're doing them out of some perceived obligation at this point

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I finished it last night. Good start, so-so middle, good ending. I enjoyed the season. It was a bit of a letdown compared to last season. I teared up when
they showed Poussey's library and when Susan came back from her mini coma or whatever.

I love Taystee's character, but holy shit fuck her for
fucking up the negotiations. I mean, I get it, Poussey was practically family to Taystee, but the riot had become more than just her death. And Taystee and crew wouldn't have gotten that far without the rest of the inmates. Although, it isn't completely her fault as Gloria/Maria also fucked it up.

Also, more Floritza please.

Porcile

I felt like the whole season was totally gratuitous in an unnecessary way.
Like the dude being burned alive naked in the shower. Piscatella can still work in a prison? How?

Anyway, the idea of a prison riot in a minimum security prison in this day and age developing the way it did was a bit too far gone for me. Especially for a show that was fairly grounded and good humoured. In the end I hated pretty much ever character except a few.

Also, the characters look far too old to play themselves realistically in flashbacks. They need to drop that hard. Also, they're really boring.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I felt like the whole season was totally gratuitous in an unnecessary way.
Like the dude being burned alive naked in the shower. Piscatella can still work in a prison? How?

Anyway, the idea of a prison riot in a minimum security prison in this day and age developing the way it did was a bit too far gone for me. Especially for a show that was fairly grounded and good humoured. In the end I hated pretty much ever character except a few.

Also, the characters look far too old to play themselves realistically in flashbacks. They need to drop that hard. Also, they're really boring.

Full Season Spoiler:
They'd just uncuff the prisoner and it would inevitably be written up as an "accident." He still got booted cause that's way too far, but it sounds like its a thing they do under the table at that prison as a punishment, just never to the point of killing the guy. Sadly, this has happened in real life.

Piscatella being killed by accident is where the finale absolutely lost me. So now his death is because of the SUPER EVIL Swat guys instead of someone in the cast actually owning it. It felt like the writers wanted to have their cake and eat it too. Kill him off because he went full Mike Myers, but not have anyone that actually knows him carry that responsibility or the consequences associated. Incredibly cheap.

kirblar

Full Season Spoiler:
They'd just uncuff the prisoner and it would inevitably be written up as an "accident." He still got booted cause that's way too far, but it sounds like its a thing they do under the table at that prison as a punishment, just never to the point of killing the guy. Sadly, this has happened in real life.

Piscatella being killed by accident is where the finale absolutely lost me. So now his death is because of the SUPER EVIL Swat guys instead of someone in the cast actually owning it. It felt like the writers wanted to have their cake and eat it too. Kill him off because he went full Mike Myers, but not have anyone that actually knows him carry that responsibility or the consequences associated. Incredibly cheap.
It's the exact same shit they pulled in the S2 finale. Even worse here because they put the characters in a position where it was a necessity.

ColdPizza

Banned
Finally finished it. I enjoyed it, despite some obvious flaws and frustrations. I'm really waiting for Leanne and the other junky to get their come uppance.

dankir

Season tonally was all over the place. Really picked up the last few epaiodez though. I guess lots of ladies aren't coming back next season? 7/10

IKizzLE

Watched 5 episodes thus far and..... I like it lol.
Kind of a suspension of belief, but the themes being tackled resonate with me as black dude in America. I can see why this shit would be polarizing. Time and place and being the correct platform and all that jazz....

ColdPizza

Banned
Full Season Spoiler:

Not only that, but it was way too convenient because
he heard Red and Alex fighting over the dead body of Adyn, the camera even fucking panned in on him! He could have put Red and Alex away with that info but was killed the EXACT way that SAME guard was warned not to shoot. Too on the nose there.

Sunster

Watched 5 episodes thus far and..... I like it lol.
Kind of a suspension of belief, but the themes being tackled resonate with me as black dude in America. I can see why this shit would be polarizing. Time and place and being the correct platform and all that jazz....

It's the right time. It's the right place. But this show does a huge disservice to it's most prominent black character at the end of the season. Just like they did with Poussey last season. I feel like time and again the minority characters are punished by the writers. Needlessly. Not only because they face the realities of racial bias and discrimination, but because the writers seem to want them in constant turmoil. Like, if there aren't enough real issues for them to deal with, they'll just write up some petty shit to drive a wedge between them or devastate them. That's my main issue. Jesus the finale is a prime example of this.

IKizzLE

It's the right time. It's the right place. But this show does a huge disservice to it's most prominent black character at the end of the season. Just like they did with Poussey last season. I feel like time and again the minority characters are punished by the writers. Needlessly. Not only because they face the realities of racial bias and discrimination, but because the writers seem to want them in constant turmoil. Like, if there aren't enough real issues for them to deal with, they'll just write up some petty shit to drive a wedge between them or devastate them. That's my main issue. Jesus the finale is a prime example of this.

O. Welp, now I'm curious to finish this show.

Finished this yesterday; really enjoyed this season. It had some parts that dragged, and I couldn't stand Suzanne's nonsense, but overall I thought it was pretty fantastic.
A lot better than House of Cards.

Zutroy

I re-watched Season 4 and continued with Season 5 in the last couple of days. It really became more interesting the moment they turned more political all the way without killing any of the characters stories/attachment you have to them. It even increased that. The whole point of the riot was to show what happens if your turn the prison around, including the domination hierarchy. The show never was supposed to be realistic, it's a comedy that relies on drama to try to portray the American society through the window of a women's prison, shitfting the point of view towards the women (obviously), minorities and oppressed people in general, without ignoring other point of views (hence the use of the flashbacks, sequences with Bayley, the Judy King arc etc etc etc). It's some kind of ambition that I wasn't expected when watching the first season 4 years ago. It doesn't have The Wire's accurate depiction of systems etc. but I can sure find some ressemblances with Hamsterdam in how they make a social and political experiment. Way more interesting than what seasons 2 & 3 pulled out combined.

Amazing to see how people here are missing all that and calling it "garbage", discussing the tiniest little détails and showing us their bad faith (for instance : did really the show pictured the guars as being all evil dudes ? even the assault team
wasn't pictured that way with the little time they had. And some inmates had remorse or didn't agree with the riot from the very beginning so cut off the bullshit of the moral-free bias please
Maybe it has to do with gaf demographics and watch&trash opinions?
Glad I step out of this kind of threads when I watch shit.

On the format of the show though, just like House of Cards, I believe they should have focused every season in 8 to 10 episodes to have better writing and better directing within the schedule. Still love the music they use. Smart use of the flashbacks for character development. Some tasty moments with movies references (biggest being Shining), it was smart and discreet.
Agreed 100%. Found this season very enjoyable!

Sadsic

Just finished this season - while the show has clear tonal problems at this point, I found the season as a whole to be very strong, particularly taystee's arc throughout the season. Some of the subplots are extremely stupid, but on the whole I really enjoyed this season. The last episode in particular is extremely strong

I didn't enjoy this season that much but I liked the finale and I'm looking forward to see what they do for next season.

Personally I think the show should end in 1 or 2 season at max.

pswii60

Only 3 episodes in, but concerned this is going the way of the final season of How I Met Your Mother. Is the entire season centred only around the riot?

2 episodes in for the season finally, but I think I can say it's my least favorite season by far, if not the first I truly dislike.

I really don't like how they always dip their toes in the prison becoming a gang war, yet never actually do something about it and then just use Crazy eyes as a plot device whenever they need a violence moment. They simply doubling down on portraying Bailey as the one that murdered Pussey, while Crazy eyes sits around kept in a minimum security prison despite showing over and over that she shouldn't be there.

Some of the subplots are also incredibly stupid, and feel like it's there just to give some characters no one cares about something to do, like the two meth addicted. It's a shame that it seems they only get rid of characters when it's convenient to explain an actor/actress that left or came back.

This is the most boring season I have watched of a show besides walking dead season two it just drags.

The only time it was interesting was the Piscitella hunt, otherwise the season was boring and Mundane.

I've just finished this season and I liked it. The change of pace from usual prison drama that it's been for the previous 4 seasons was refreshing. It's still the nicest prison in the world where everyone has a heart of gold at some point. But if your still watching, you already know that. Season 6 setup looks like it could be a reset or refresh with that ending. Looking forward to it.

I'm vague and unspecific because I don't want to spoil anyone.

Theorry

You've got me there.

Haha oke. ;)

It became abit better closer to the end of the season. Curious how season 6 is gonna be.
I have the feeling there were abit to much characters now and the writers also thought that? So ending is a easy way to make it abit smaller again.

ganon

As usual, some good some bad dramas/background stories, but overall I like this season. The only and biggest disappointment for me is when the bad guy knew their secrets and then *poof* he's dead......

Taruranto

Episode 2

So
Frieda had a bunker under Litchfield all this time? I'm not sure how I feel about it, it feels kinda silly, continuity-wise.

Taruranto

Episode 4

This was kinda bad. Allison's flashback felt largely inconsequential and everything about Sophia this season has been ugh. I guess the actress playing her was unavailable? Also Sister Ingalls got released off-screen, really? A shame, she was on of the characters I enjoyed the most.

Top Bottom