• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition |OT| Mourning Wood

I haven't upgraded yet, but can you finally backtrack now after finishing it? And three new locations, how do they point you towards them?

Yes you can backtrack anywhere even after you finish the game, there is fast travel too. You'll know what leads to the new locations when you see them, they are not hidden.

Yup! It's all integrated, so you can use the abilities and the extras you get there throughout the entirety of Nibel :)

Although the new area can be encountered very early in the game, you could potentially be stuck in there without certain abilities. Or am I playing it wrong Thomas?

Jobbs

Banned
Mourning Wood is a terrific coffee ale

the-27-essential-coffee-beers-ranked

Anyway getting this on my XB1 today <3

Yes you can backtrack anywhere even after you finish the game, there is fast travel too. You'll know what leads to the new locations when you see them, they are not hidden.

Although the new area can be encountered very early in the game, you could potentially be stuck in there without certain abilities. Or am I playing it wrong Thomas?

Nah, you can't get stuck there at all. If you IMMEDIATELY head into it, it's a bit challenging, but definitely doable :)

Yes but they are separate titles with separate achievement lists. I think he's asking if you get both titles (aka both achievement lists and two different games on your dashboard) if you buy the DE. I've heard the same rumor but can't confirm because I already owned the original.

So, if I own the original and buy the DE both games will show up in my games list and I can play either the original or the DE depending on which one I launch?

So, if I own the original and buy the DE both games will show up in my games list and I can play either the original or the DE depending on which one I launch?

Yes you simply pay less to buy the DE as a standalone game, the original and DE both will show up in your library.

Nah, you can't get stuck there at all. If you IMMEDIATELY head into it, it's a bit challenging, but definitely doable :)

Yeah I just figured that out, and the answer is actually right in the DE trailer lol.

Yes you simply pay less to buy the DE as a standalone game, the original and DE both will show up in your library.

Yeah I just figured that out, and the answer is actually right in the DE trailer lol.

I have a feeling speed runners will go there ASAP so they can dash through the rest of the game, lol.

Debating if I should just upgrade on the Xbox or buy it on steam so I can play it in 4K.

The correct answer would be to upgrade on Xbox, then buy it again on Steam when it releases there. :)

Lol saw the tweet and already ordered some shirts. Will revisit later to decide on socks and artwork, although nothing is going to top the one you guys sent me!

Working on that! In the meantime, there's socks!

So we can buy a sock and cuddle it until the plushies arrive? Lol :)

I just tested it out by buying the DE for my brother on his gamertag. Once I downloaded the DE, the original was not showing up in his library. It seems to me that only people who already owned the original (or at least have it in their games history if they've played it before, allowing them to view its game hub even though it's off the marketplace) will be able to download it now.

My Xbox isn't his home xbox, so maybe it showed up in his games library on his home console. I'll confirm later once I can chat with him.

Buys sock to cuddle

Game is awesome, enjoying going back through it, died more times than I am willing to admit even on normal though >.<

Ive noticed some small stuttering at times though, not sure if its a loading issue, its not regular but kind of annoying when it does happen

Call me a weak but I say THANK GOD for easy mode, I bought the game during the sale but held off because I heard how hard it with the difficulty spikes, now I can enjoy it

RoKKeR

Game is awesome, enjoying going back through it, died more times than I am willing to admit even on normal though >.<

Ive noticed some small stuttering at times though, not sure if its a loading issue, its not regular but kind of annoying when it does happen

Noticed this twice in my hour of play last night, just like a small hiccup?

Playing through the first hour again has reminded me of how expertly crafted this game is in every department.

Do you have the game installed on an external HD by chance? We're streaming loads and loads of data all the time to ensure that there are no loading times and an external HD might not be fast enough to keep up, hence the stutter.

Call me a weak but I say THANK GOD for easy mode, I bought the game during the sale but held off because I heard how hard it with the difficulty spikes, now I can enjoy it

Yeah, Easy Mode was put in so that people can enjoy their ride throughout the game without dying that often - no shame in picking it :)

I just tested it out by buying the DE for my brother on his gamertag. Once I downloaded the DE, the original was not showing up in his library. It seems to me that only people who already owned the original (or at least have it in their games history if they've played it before, allowing them to view its game hub even though it's off the marketplace) will be able to download it now.

Check for your list of titles that are available to re-download, should be in there :)

We're not forcing people to download both versions at the same time, since there's not much sense in that, but you should be good if you really want the original version :)

Hold on....

A friend of mine has already finished the game, the first game. What he wants is to backtrack from that savefile and visit the new places and find the items he missed. This doesn't seem to be possible, correct? So he's going to have to start a new game in the DE?

Played the game and got done with the first tree and got the feather, went to check out the extra area (where its really dark and takes a second to understand what's going on) but might put it off for a bit because it's really difficult/I'm scared. But one question I unlocked the skill tree where I can dash in the air but I'm unable to do it, do you unlock regular dash or am I doing something wrong?

Played the game and got done with the first tree and got the feather, went to check out the extra area (where its really dark and takes a second to understand what's going on) but might put it off for a bit because it's really difficult/I'm scared. But one question I unlocked the skill tree where I can dash in the air but I'm unable to do it, do you unlock regular dash or am I doing something wrong?

Read the description - Air Dash is just an extension to Dash, so you can't use it cause you don't have Dash yet. You gain Dash in the Black Root Burrows, so get that first :)

Noticed this twice in my hour of play last night, just like a small hiccup?

Playing through the first hour again has reminded me of how expertly crafted this game is in every department.

Yep! Just s small one.

Do you have the game installed on an external HD by chance? We're streaming loads and loads of data all the time to ensure that there are no loading times and an external HD might not be fast enough to keep up, hence the stutter.

I do, its a 1tb HDD with 7200rpm Touro (I wanted it specifically for the extra speed), I will try moving it to the regular HDD and see if that improves it

NekoGeo

The game was initially announced on Xbox 360 (among One & PC) but we haven't heard of this version since then. Is there any news or update you can tell us regarding the X360 version?

Hey, to all the people who finished the DLC portions of the Definitive Edition (Black Root Burrows and Lost Grove), I'd love to know what you thought about the new Naru bits. Let's use spoiler tags, only read this if you finished the game:

One of the original drafts had the whole 'mirror' idea (that turned into the ending bit with Kuro and Naru) applied in a different way - We wanted to show how Naru lived her life before Ori came along. The idea here was to mirror through Naru and her father what would later happen with Naru / Ori.

Would love to if you guys liked / disliked these bits. I love what our animators did there in terms of animation...

dLMN8R

I've only played for an hour so far - am I imagining things, or have the cutscenes and other details been integrated throughout, even that early in to the game? I feel like there are some new scenes I don't recall seeing before.

Hey, to all the people who finished the DLC portions of the Definitive Edition (Black Root Burrows and Lost Grove), I'd love to know what you thought about the new Naru bits. Let's use spoiler tags, only read this if you finished the game:

One of the original drafts had the whole 'mirror' idea (that turned into the ending bit with Kuro and Naru) applied in a different way - We wanted to show how Naru lived her life before Ori came along. The idea here was to mirror through Naru and her father what would later happen with Naru / Ori.

Would love to if you guys liked / disliked these bits. I love what our animators did there in terms of animation...

I only wandered into Black Root Burrows for a while so can't say much about how the plot unfolds but I love what showed up at the entrance there!

Also Thomas any idea why Chinese language support is absent from DE?

Check for your list of titles that are available to re-download, should be in there :)

We're not forcing people to download both versions at the same time, since there's not much sense in that, but you should be good if you really want the original version :)

Oh it's in MY list, but it wasn't in my brother's. He never owned the original. I bought the DE for him on Xbox One and the original isn't showing up in his games library. It might be because my xbox isn't his home console, but the only thing in his games library is the DE. I was testing it out mainly, but at least this way he gets a copy of Ori too, since he didn't own it previously.

Also, hard mode was too easy, so I did a run on Normal tonight, with a notable exception: NO UPGRADES AT ALL. No extra life cells, no extra energy cells, no ability tree upgrades. Nothing. Doing Mt Horu with only 3 life, 1 energy, and no triple jump was interesting (but not as bad as I expected). Ended up dying 16 times and finishing in 1hr 40mins. :)

Oh it's in MY list, but it wasn't in my brother's. He never owned the original. I bought the DE for him on Xbox One and the original isn't showing up in his games library. It might be because my xbox isn't his home console, but the only thing in his games library is the DE. I was testing it out mainly, but at least this way he gets a copy of Ori too, since he didn't own it previously.

Also, hard mode was too easy, so I did a run on Normal tonight, with a notable exception: NO UPGRADES AT ALL. No extra life cells, no extra energy cells, no ability tree upgrades. Nothing. Doing Mt Horu with only 3 life, 1 energy, and no triple jump was interesting (but not as bad as I expected). Ended up dying 16 times and finishing in 1hr 40mins. :)

Jesus you crazy person I died that much alone in Black Root Burrows.

Crazy for Ori, damn straight. :)

Next goal is a 100% completion One Life mode run. I tried today and died 2 hours in because I had a major brain far and landed on some spikes in Sorrow Pass, lol.

Thomas - The original eventually showed up in my brother's library. It just took a day for whatever reason.

Also speaking of achievement hunters, there is a way to circumvent One Life mode's save resetting, at least on Xbox One. This will skew the leaderboards eventually once more people do it. I dont wanna be the one to spread it any more than it already is, but suffice to say saving probably should have been (should be via a patch?) disabled entirely in One Life. I'm not personally too bothered about leaderboards, but some folks may be upset that it can be "cheated". I can PM you the details if you arent already aware.

Last thought: The scenes in the new area were aces. They really fleshed out the story without overstaying their welcome by interrupting the gameplay too long. Also the lower part of the new area is breathtaking!

RoKKeR

I'm considering switching up my controller scheme for my hard run. Something I've always struggled with is jumping while using the flame attack, trying to mash A to stay on a wall while hitting X just kind of throws me off from time to time. I might move Jump to LB, which I think isn't used for anything currently... even though that would kind of feel strange in a platformer.

Has anybody done this for Ori?

Trying to 100% my normal playthorough and pretty close just having trouble with something, when an area is 99% and I can't seem to find what's stopping me from getting 100. Any help? so I know what to look out for.

Trying to 100% my normal playthorough and pretty close just having trouble with something, when an area is 99% and I can't seem to find what's stopping me from getting 100. Any help? so I know what to look out through.

This version (unlike the original) requires you to get all of the spirit energy orbs around the map. There are four kinds of items on the map: Life Cells, Energy Cells, Ability Cells, and the orange spirit energy orbs of varying sizes. You could skip some (all?) of the spirit energy orbs on the orginal because 100% map exploration didn't require them as far as I can recall, but on this one you have to nab every last one of those little buggers. For instance there are few during the escape sequence in the Ginso tree that you wouldn't likely get during the escape, so you have to revisit it when the coast is clear.

Also there are a few small rooms on hte map that you pass over and they won't have darkened areas over them when looking at the map, but you don't actually get credit unless you drop down into them (or jump up into them). There are a couple in Moon Grotto for instance that are very commonly bypassed by folks without realizing it, and it's difficult to know which one you didn't get credit for just by looking at the map.

Which area are you stuck at 99%?

If you're interested, that zero upgrades whatsoever run is on my KorbeKGaming youtube. ;p

Thomas, just beat the DE in a day. Still one of the most unique experiences thus far this gen.

Regarding new territory: really well designed. A new mechanic yet again introduced yet one that works well because the ideas the team brings to the table simply work. New tracks were superb as usual.

So, with 8 hrs behind me to 100% everything, a warm thanks from me to the team.

Last question for you: when can we expect an announcement for the team's next project? E3?

Did you knock out Hard mode and One Life mode within that 8 hours? If so, color me impressed!

Top Bottom