• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition |OT| Mourning Wood

I'm considering switching up my controller scheme for my hard run. Something I've always struggled with is jumping while using the flame attack, trying to mash A to stay on a wall while hitting X just kind of throws me off from time to time. I might move Jump to LB, which I think isn't used for anything currently... even though that would kind of feel strange in a platformer.

Has anybody done this for Ori?

I'm using the Elite, put X on one of the paddles.

I noticed that after installing the game on my xbox one and looking at it in my hardrive that the game reserves an additional 1 GB of unused space. Is there more content coming out in the future for the definitive edition?

Y0j1mb0

Upgrading for five bucks was the easiest decision I ever made. Downloaded it and played for about three hours and just like when I played the original one, was just blown away.

From the art, music, presentation and game play this is easily my favorite game this gen.

KingBroly

Banned
So...can you backtrack to areas that were previously locked out in this one or not? Because that really ticked me off about the original.

This version (unlike the original) requires you to get all of the spirit energy orbs around the map. There are four kinds of items on the map: Life Cells, Energy Cells, Ability Cells, and the orange spirit energy orbs of varying sizes. You could skip some (all?) of the spirit energy orbs on the orginal because 100% map exploration didn't require them as far as I can recall, but on this one you have to nab every last one of those little buggers. For instance there are few during the escape sequence in the Ginso tree that you wouldn't likely get during the escape, so you have to revisit it when the coast is clear.

Also there are a few small rooms on hte map that you pass over and they won't have darkened areas over them when looking at the map, but you don't actually get credit unless you drop down into them (or jump up into them). There are a couple in Moon Grotto for instance that are very commonly bypassed by folks without realizing it, and it's difficult to know which one you didn't get credit for just by looking at the map.

Which area are you stuck at 99%?

Yep it was the part where I didn't fill out certain parts of the map, either because I looked past them of didn't ever go by them. Thank you I knew I was just overlooking stuff and now I finally 100% this playthorough.

Loved playing through again with the new areas and those two new abilities really change up the game in the best of ways.

One thing though, since I'm kinda bad at the game at time I think I caused a bug at one of the dlc areas (I'll spoiler tag it for the people who haven't played it yet so they can have a surprise of what's to come)
when the boulder is chasing you and you have to lob bash over the pillar to survive instead of doing that the rocked put me under the map and didn't kill me. So I kinda broke that sorry

SOR5

Hey, to all the people who finished the DLC portions of the Definitive Edition (Black Root Burrows and Lost Grove), I'd love to know what you thought about the new Naru bits. Let's use spoiler tags, only read this if you finished the game:

One of the original drafts had the whole 'mirror' idea (that turned into the ending bit with Kuro and Naru) applied in a different way - We wanted to show how Naru lived her life before Ori came along. The idea here was to mirror through Naru and her father what would later happen with Naru / Ori.

Would love to if you guys liked / disliked these bits. I love what our animators did there in terms of animation...

First of all, it's ace

I thought the new Lost Grove area felt very exotic and elevated above the overall ethos of the universe in a great way, definitely reminiscent of the Lost World in Donkey Kong Country 2 and Gareth Coker+the art team did an amazing job with all the new pieces.

One thing I did massively appreciate was subtlety in the themes this time and the general representation of the circle of life, the player can instantly see parallels between Naru and the parental figure and draw a greater understanding of her character from there, as one thing I disliked about the Kuro and Naru ending was that small flashback into Kuro and her child whilst staring directly at Naru and Ori's plight, I believe it's spoonfeeding that harms the narrative and assumes the player wouldnt understand her motives because theres no dialogue, which I believe is untrue. A quick immediate jump cut in and out would've been okay but the fade in/fade out looked a bit cheesy. It's massively insignificant in the long run but the little things do matter.

Also where my Gumo prequel at, infinite gameplay possibilities, he'd be great in NBA 2K16

Are these weird blocky graphical artifacts around the pink spike obstacle trails normal?
Circled in yellow, click on picture to enlarge. This is from beginning of the game, playing on xbox.
0r0GKyc.png

I don't get to write "official" reviews, but here's my personal review of the definitive edition on TrueAchievements: Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition Review

Overall a great review and I agree 100%.

One thing that caught me was the attention to detail when you go back to the trees and how they are actually different because of what you did and not just revert to how it was before.

The dlc area fit perfectly in the game and funny enough I thought at first it was impossible to see but that was due to a glare making everything a lot darker lol.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Also speaking of achievement hunters, there is a way to circumvent One Life mode's save resetting, at least on Xbox One. This will skew the leaderboards eventually once more people do it. I dont wanna be the one to spread it any more than it already is, but suffice to say saving probably should have been (should be via a patch?) disabled entirely in One Life. I'm not personally too bothered about leaderboards, but some folks may be upset that it can be "cheated". I can PM you the details if you arent already aware.

Ok, please help me understand: Here you complain about that while at Trueachievements you open an achievement solution telling players how to get around the one life issue? That is pretty messed up. Anyways, of course there should be saving in OLM because not everybody has the time to play through a whole game in one sitting, especially if you are taking it slow to avoid death.

Ok, please help me understand: Here you complain about that while at Trueachievements you open an achievement solution telling players how to get around the one life issue? That is pretty messed up. Anyways, of course there should be saving in OLM because not everybody has the time to play through a whole game in one sitting, especially if you are taking it slow to avoid death.

My post wasnt complaining about it. Notice I said that I'm not personally bothered by people circumventing it if they are able. I was pointing it out because some of the more hardcore leaderboard types might get upset if that work around ends up skewing the leaderboards, and also so Moon could address it if they wish to, since it was their mode in the first place. As it stands, I dont think it works anyway, at least based on someone trying it and not getting the achievement.

I added the info to my solution on TA merely to confirm if it works or not so I could forward that info to Moon Studios. For me it was never about leaderboards or caring whether others do it 'legit' or not. I just enjoyed the challenge on a personal level. But I also realize there are some folks out there that take the leaderboards seriously.

GennadiyKorol

Neo Member
Anyways, of course there should be saving in OLM because not everybody has the time to play through a whole game in one sitting, especially if you are taking it slow to avoid death.

One Life Mode does not prevent you from being able to make saves and play the game in multiple sittings. OLM only means that you will have to start over if you die.

Any idea how to get this ability point?

Ori is fully upgraded etc but... I can't see to find a way through

Edit: FFS I have found it now, spent ages on that >.<

Through a hidden section on the water area to the left if you didn't know

I have a few areas where I am missing 1 item... (99% complete areas), those are going to take me ages to find aren't they :(

Likely some hidden rooms, the last skill unlock from the middle tree helps a lot, it is improved from the original, you can now see hidden rooms pretty far away.

Ok, I have got 100% in each section now but the achievements app says I have only found 97% of the secrets... not sure how that works?

No no no. 100% normal. Starting hard today. Ive beaten it before and dont know why i didnt just do that from the get go

Well to be fair going for 100% on Hard isnt really worth it because it takes 25 more points to buy all skills on the skill tree, meaning you would have to grind a lot at the end of the game if you want the phenom achievement. It would be good for leaderboards, though.

look up the acheivement on True Achievements. Note, look up last year's game, nit the DE. Lifeexpectancy, a regular user here, has some tips for an exploit you can use to get it to count. I wasn't going to roam an entire map again for one secret left. His advice worked like a charm and works for the DE as well

Ok I will have a look later, thanks!

Some hidden rooms do not count toward the in-game percentage but are counted for the achievement so go ghost hunting I guess.

I got the achievement for going everywhere in the map... maybe there is something I missed though.

Helznicht

Why is this not cross-buy? Its one thing they have over steam, and they don't leverage. sometimes I don't understand MS, I really don't.

dLMN8R

Why is this not cross-buy? Its one thing they have over steam, and they don't leverage. sometimes I don't understand MS, I really don't.

It's the same answer that Phil Spencer already gave for other games - it's simply not a platform feature yet:

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/0...d-pc-cross-buy-to-be-platform-feature/192807/

It will become one eventually, according to him. But right now it's still not, which means it's simply not technically possible to do it yet. Outside of one-off cases like Quantum Break where they can do some specific promotions like giving digital preorders of the Xbox One version a code for the PC version.

Regarding Unhinged and the leaderboards:

You can't quit out of the game AT ALL if I am not mistaken. I believe quitting out to the main menu, even if you don't do any offline play to try and circumvent the One Life rule, disables the achievement. I say this because I just did a 100% speedrun on One Life mode, and my time didn't register to the Global leaderboard. It only registered to the Explorer leaderboard, and you don't have to complete the game to register a % on the Explorer board.

The fact that I completed the game after quitting out to the main menu and didn't register a Global time tells me that doing so disables that leaderboard as well as the Unhinged achievement. Sorry folks, this is a one sitting, no quitting achievement. GG Moon Studios, you sneaky devils. ;p

ebil

Yes you can backtrack anywhere even after you finish the game, there is fast travel too. You'll know what leads to the new locations when you see them, they are not hidden.
Is it really anywhere? I remember missing a small area in one of the levels because the game progressed past a point of no return without it being obvious to me, and it would be really good if that was "fixed" in the DE.

Can't wait to upgrade my Steam version and revisit it regardless, it was one of the most memorable games I played last year.

Is it really anywhere? I remember missing a small area in one of the levels because the game progressed past a point of no return without it being obvious to me, and it would be really good if that was "fixed" in the DE.

Can't wait to upgrade my Steam version and revisit it regardless, it was one of the most memorable games I played last year.

The point of no return at Mount Horu is removed, you can backtrack out any time, to anywhere including Ginso Tree and Forlorn Ruins, the only exception is the changing part of Misty Woods, but changes are also made to that section, the hidden energy cell there is replaced by a exp pickup. You are also reverted to the last checkpoint of the game after you beat the game and reload the save, letting you go around freely to collect anything you left.

The point of no return at Mount Horu is removed, you can backtrack out any time, to anywhere including Ginso Tree and Forlorn Ruins, the only exception is the changing part of Misty Woods, but changes are also made to that section, the hidden energy cell there is replaced by a exp pickup. You are also reverted to the last checkpoint of the game after you beat the game and reload the save, letting you go around freely to collect anything you left.

You can actually backtrack through Misty Woods as well... :)

JaggedSac

It's the same answer that Phil Spencer already gave for other games - it's simply not a platform feature yet:

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/0...d-pc-cross-buy-to-be-platform-feature/192807/

It will become one eventually, according to him. But right now it's still not, which means it's simply not technically possible to do it yet. Outside of one-off cases like Quantum Break where they can do some specific promotions like giving digital preorders of the Xbox One version a code for the PC version.

Nooooooo :(

AHA-Lambda

For those who've played it, how early can you access and complete the new areas?

I've already finished the game, I'd rather just see the new content.

For those who've played it, how early can you access and complete the new areas?

I've already finished the game, I'd rather just see the new content.

You can access the area after you obtain Wall Jump, but you need Stomp to fully explore it, so after you complete Ginso Tree and get Stomp, go there and grab Dash and Light Burst, they are very useful and some of the puzzles in the main area are changed to utilize them.

Top Bottom