• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest. Just finished it and...

GymWolf

I know you have more lofty combat standards compared to me so YMMV but I think its 10x better than the first, and the variety is great, you can have a build where you just burst them down but have to get dangerously close, or one where you risk all of your energy to basically one-shot them, or use the bow to create chain reactions of damage and so on.

Based on what you've said in the past I say play on Hard from the start and you'll get a good challenge, especially from the "battle arenas", where you can definitely go completely your own route and even if your build isn't really suited to the types of enemies you are fighting you can still win by not being greedy, but if you do run into issue you can also make a specific build for that challenge and that feels satisfying to work out.

You do really need to go a bit out of your way to find all the hidden "skills" and do sidequests to get the best choice of builds, bear that in mind if you don't like exploring too much.
Yeah i liked what i saw in the trailers with the sword and the hammer etc.

But the game is still full choke of platform sections so for me would be just wasted money even if i love the art design of these games.

Kuranghi

Yeah i liked what i saw in the trailers with the sword and the hammer etc.

But the game is still full choke of platform sections so for me would be just wasted money even if i love the art design of these games.

Yeah if you don't like chaining jumps and dashes then you probably won't get on with it, I wouldn't say its precision platforming though, more timing based, if that distinction makes sense. You don't often have to land on tiny spaces or the like its more about timed, logic puzzles of chaining your moves using new systems in each area.

Example being there is a place near the start where there are stationary turret enemies shooting out energy shots in a specific direction and you have to "bash" off of them to get more height, which basically means getting near the shot and then holding a button and redirecting your jump from there and since it redirect the shot in the opposite direction of where you jump you can do it and then dash back towards the shot and do it again to get to secret areas.

It has this element of making you feel like what you are doing it breaking the game or discovering some secret you weren't supposed to a lot of the time, just like in the best 2D metroids. I think thats why people love it so much. Plus the world building and more so characters are fantastic.

I say try it and if you don't like it you can fly to the UK and punch me in the mouth for wasting your time.

I really dislike the combat in the first game, but the second improves upon it greatly. The “run away from instant death” sections in both games are really annoying; not a fan of that aspect but I guess it gives the games a bit of a unique gameplay type to fall back on periodically.
When I get a Switch for Dread these games may be a few of the ones I double dip on.

Top Bottom