• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest [Moon Studios, PC/Xbox One/Xbox 360]

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Thanks so much for all the awesome support, guys. And thanks to everyone who visited us at the showfloor. As I told people here, I was a little scared that people would just see Ori as an artsyfartsy indie game that'd make people cry, but man, we've spent so much time on design and trying to perfect the controls and the gameplay... really appreciate all the kind words and the absolute best is to see people smiling as they walk away after they played the game. I don't know what it is, but you guys are all awesome, thank you so much! :)

Actually, the bolded part was really my first impression of the game, but having now read that you really emphasized tight and fast-paced gameplay, I'm really interested in this game. I have two questions though:
1. Will there be a retail release?
2. Will there be any differences between the two Xbox's versions (besides resolution, effects, texture quality)?

Actually, the bolded part was really my first impression of the game, but having now read that you really emphasized tight and fast-paced gameplay, I'm really interested in this game. I have two questions though:
1. Will there be a retail release?
2. Will there be any differences between the two Xbox's versions (besides resolution, effects, texture quality)?

1.) We don't know yet. I'd LOVE to get physical copies out there... just out of nostalgic reasons :) Please bug MS about you guys wanting a physical copy!

2.) Well, we'll obviously try to make both versions as perfect as possible, but if you can, get the X1 version. X360 runs well, but there are definitely some tradeoffs we had to make since the thing has way less horsepower. Also, 360 won't be out until 2015.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
1.) We don't know yet. I'd LOVE to get physical copies out there... just out of nostalgic reasons :) Please bug MS about you guys wanting a physical copy!

2.) Well, we'll obviously try to make both versions as perfect as possible, but if you can, get the X1 version. X360 runs well, but there are definitely some tradeoffs we had to make since the thing has way less horsepower. Also, 360 won't be out until 2015.

1) OK, Phil Spencer might be annoyed due to my begs for Rare games already, so begging for something different for a change might be good :D.

2) Due to Rare's absence from E3, Xbox One will probably not be in my home before 2015, so the release date would not be a problem, but if the Xbox One version plays better (or is the only one that gets a physical release), then I will of course preferrably get the Xbox One version.

Thanks for your quick answers :).

ChipotIe

Banned
Thanks so much for all the awesome support, guys. And thanks to everyone who visited us at the showfloor. As I told people here, I was a little scared that people would just see Ori as an artsyfartsy indie game that'd make people cry, but man, we've spent so much time on design and trying to perfect the controls and the gameplay... really appreciate all the kind words and the absolute best is to see people smiling as they walk away after they played the game. I don't know what it is, but you guys are all awesome, thank you so much! :)

I've been championing this game however I could... the problem is that information on the game and the development team is really hard to find. No matter though... I was definitely moved by what I saw and how it potentially controls. I really does look like this game was made specifically for me and I'm happy that there are projects like this for me to fawn over.

Definitely inspiring stuff.

I've been championing this game however I could... the problem is that information on the game and the development team is really hard to find. No matter though... I was definitely moved by what I saw and how it potentially controls. I really does look like this game was made specifically for me and I'm happy that there are projects like this for me to fawn over.

Definitely inspiring stuff.

Yeah, at Moon, we kinda like secrets as much as the next guy :)

The information we're giving out at the moment can be found at http://www.oriblindforest.com and you can always pop us a mail at feedback@moongamestudios.com

Thanks for your kind comments! :)

Kampfheld

Banned
Just watched the trailer again in 1080p on a good sound system. I am not ashamed to admit that last few seconds in the trailer made my skin crawl. Holy shit.

KooopaKid

Banned
Very happy there's a 360 version. That was the most interesting game at Microsoft E3 conference for me. Even happier it's not just an artsy game with very little gameplay substance. The main character already looks delightful to control. Main concern in a game like this is obstacle variety and the move set. Probably Day 1 on 360 in 2015.

Ape

Banned
This game was excellent. The demo was long for E3 standards too. Tight controls and extremely beautiful art. I really hope that it's long, putting a lot of hours into this game would be super enjoyable.

Though, it would make for a great box quote! Just saw that IGN live demo (those neogaf shoutouts were cute) and was wondering why Thomas Mahler was familiar and then realised you were a GAFer. Been waiting for a metroidvania with interesting platforming since Guacamelee. BTW, love that you guys managed to put a quicksave into the mechanics ;)

I'm guessing Warsoup is on hold if you guys are a small team of 8-9?

Having played the half-hour demo of Ori it seems like the developer achieved its goal in this regard. Simply manipulating Ori as the forest sprite bounds across the screen just feels good to play. Movement is quick, sprightly, and buttery smooth with animations to match. While its overall design is relatively conservative, there are some neat little touches to the formula that give it an extra forward-thinking spark.

My favourite addition is something called a Soul Link. Fill up an energy meter and you can cast one of these links which quick-saves your game and plants a tiny flowery shrine where you can level up your abilities. These are like a mix between Resident Evil's typewriter ribbons and Dark Souls' bonfires, and there's a smart balancing act that goes into casting these. You see, your energy can be used in other offensive ways as well, so deciding when to cash in a safety net is in and of itself a tactical decision.

Once you enter a Soul Link you can upgrade your character through three skill trees. One is focused on combat and its first upgrade turns your projectile-based attack into a three-hit combo, another influences your traversal skills, while the final branch is dedicated to the Soul Links themselves. For example, one allows you to quicksave without using energy every time you run past an already planted Soul Link.

And while Ori's stupendous visuals can be gleaned from a trailer, Smith is adamant that there's a lot more to the art than one can take away from a promotional video. "You see this tree in the background and this mushroom and this rock? That's the one and only place you'll ever see those assets," he says before noting that the 8-10 hour adventure will contain unique assets in nearly every locale. "There's no tiling whatsoever." No wonder it took four years to make.

One of Mahler's biggest points of pride is that Ori will contain no loading screens whatsoever. "I really f****** hate loading times," the studio lead laughs. "Games have become really clever about hiding the fact that there's loading times, like by letting you play a character in them. But that's still s***. In an optimal world you want to make sure that there is no loading. Loading completely takes the immersion away."

Sounds incredible. Can't wait to play it.

Kiyoshi

I must say, the soundtrack samples I've been listening to have given me goosebumps, quite amazing.

Does anyone know if there will be an option to buy the soundtrack bundled with the game on Steam (a special edition of sorts)? I can see the Steam store page but there are no purchasing options as yet.

If not, I'll pick it up from the Google Play store.

Top Bottom