• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I just lost around two hours worth of progress - I'm feeling pretty gutted to be honest.

Clipped through the ground and couldn't get out. When I restarted the game, I spawned 2 hours back just after the Ginzo Tree escape.

This is the second time it's happened so I've lost around 3 or 4 hours all up. The first time I chalked it up as just a fluke glitch or something - didn't realise that I was going to be unlucky enough to have it happen again.

This is on the X1. Did a bit of research and folks have had this issue since March.

Noobcraft

I just lost around two hours worth of progress - I'm feeling pretty gutted to be honest.

Clipped through the ground and couldn't get out. When I restarted the game, I spawned 2 hours back just after the Ginzo Tree escape.

This is the second time it's happened so I've lost around 3 or 4 hours all up. The first time I chalked it up as just a fluke glitch or something - didn't realise that I was going to be unlucky enough to have it happen again.

This is on the X1. Did a bit of research and folks have had this issue since March.
Patch is out now on PC and apparently soon for the Xbox One to fix it. You should use more checkpoints if you're losing hours of gameplay.

We are really sorry about the long wait for the patch guys.
We've been working really hard to bring you the new save backup features as well as making sure that all of the fixes are rock solid.
We genuinely believed that it would be out earlier but unfortunately there were unexpected delays in the process that were completely out of our hands.

Steam patch should up right now and the X1 will follow shortly!

Here are the Steam Patch release notes:

Thanks again for all your love and support for Ori and Moon, it's really heart warming and is greatly appreciated!
Thank you! Love my time with the game but have had 2 save killing bugs just after the Ginso Tree. Will give it another shot.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Patch is out now on PC and apparently soon for the Xbox One to fix it. You should use more checkpoints if you're losing hours of gameplay.

I did - at least every 5 - 10 minutes. Made no difference, both instances I was reverted to the auto save point after the Ginzo Tree escape.

Dark_castle

This is my first real exposure to a Metroidvania game, and holy shit, so good. Beat it in around 12 hours, collecting most of the life cell and energy cell, so the game was challenging at times, like during the escape sequences, but otherwise fairly manageable. The art is some of the best I've seen, and the music is superb as well.

This game inspires me to check out other games of similar gameplay style. Excited for the sequel.

dedhead54

I played a couple of hours when this first came out and then just kind of stopped. Just started back last night and am now up to the ginso tree escape. I only had time to try a couple of times but I can already tell i'm going to get frustrated trying to get past it.

I am loving how the new abilities are really necessary for traversal/combat once they unlock. Really gives me a great sense of development as the game goes on.

I am definitely not highly skilled at this type of game yet, though. I have logged around 4.5 hours and I want to say I've died nearly 200 times already. Some sections were punishing for me.

That kinda hurts. We've been fixing a lot of issues that people brought up and even implemented some new features, like the new backup save system, so that even if you do find some issues, you can revert back to older saves.

Releasing a patch across both platforms isn't that easy and the act of releasing it to the public isn't all in our control, but I hope the upcoming patch will make everyone happy.

Don't take it to heart man. People are just upset about loosing progress and lashing out, and most of us know nothing about development, how long it takes to code a patch, how long it takes to test it, how long certification takes, etc etc.

My guess is the whole process could easily take 3 months from start to finish, even for a small patch, and hey we're still in that 3-month window.

Perhaps if you hadn't stated over and over that the patch was coming 'very soon' over 2 weeks ago then people would be a little nicer.

I'm guessing Microsoft are the ones holding back the patch? Since Sony had multiple GTA V patches in the space of a week or two and the XB1 GTA V patch came much later.

It's still massively frustrating that your game has game breaking bugs that can occur 3+ hours into the game.

Surely getting fixes out should have been done ASAP, but like 2 months after release?

Are you a programmer? Serious question. Moon Game Studios isn't a AAA studio with hundreds of employees. Getting a patch made, tested, through cert, and released within 2 months of release is a little unrealistic on the expectations front if you ask me.

We are really sorry about the long wait for the patch guys.
We've been working really hard to bring you the new save backup features as well as making sure that all of the fixes are rock solid.
We genuinely believed that it would be out earlier but unfortunately there were unexpected delays in the process that were completely out of our hands.

Steam patch should up right now and the X1 will follow shortly!

Here are the Steam Patch release notes:

Thanks again for all your love and support for Ori and Moon, it's really heart warming and is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for this game and for your continued hard work!

You probably need to save more frequently mate. :)

One of my favorite games this gen. It was an incredible experience!

I agree. I just finished it on X1 and I can finally say it was an awesome, beautiful (and not so easy if you see the respawn count) journey.

Moon Studios, you got yourself a new fan.

It has nothing to do with how often he was saving. It's a known bug with the save slot that is supposedly addressed in this patch.

Ahh ok then.

It's really weird how these bugs seem so random though. I mean with something like BF4 or Halo: TMCC, the games were just flat-out broken piles of garbage that tons of people had major problems with.

With Ori it's weird. Like I played through the game a couple dozen times on three different gamertags and never experienced a single issue other than one isolated instance where I fell through the map. When that happened I just quit out and loaded my most recent save no problem. Then there are folks who have game-breaking bugs more than once. Totally random.

Glad it's getting sorted though for those experiencing the bugs. Any reports since the steam patch went live for those that had them pre-patch?

I just started playing this last week but lost a lot of progress due to a save reversion bug. Went in fairly blind aside from all the praise it seemed to be getting, so I didn't know they were working on a patch or that it had save issues at all. I think I might return to it eventually but losing your save is like my cardinal sin for gaming, still stings a bit. It was a great experience though and just lovely to look at.

Micerider

This is my first real exposure to a Metroidvania game, and holy shit, so good. Beat it in around 12 hours, collecting most of the life cell and energy cell, so the game was challenging at times, like during the escape sequences, but otherwise fairly manageable. The art is some of the best I've seen, and the music is superb as well.

This game inspires me to check out other games of similar gameplay style. Excited for the sequel.

Guacamelee. Do it.

finalflame

Gold Member
Holy shit, this game is amazing. I wish more games had such beautiful settings. The combination of gorgeous visuals and soothing music really makes this a masterpiece. Not to mention rock solid and tight platforming mechanics.

That said, I have a question.
I finished the tree that overflows with water, and then startled that raven to get past. I believe I am now looking for a key to get into some ruins. Anyways, I am trying to do some more completion before I progress. I realize that being a metroidvania there will be things I am still locked out of, but what is the generally a=ccepted method to open wooden barriers? I've noticed some open when you do A+Down on a stump somewhere else. But are some of them breakable, and is there a special ability to break them that I don't have yet??

Holy shit, this game is amazing. I wish more games had such beautiful settings. The combination of gorgeous visuals and soothing music really makes this a masterpiece. Not to mention rock solid and tight platforming mechanics.

That said, I have a question.
I finished the tree that overflows with water, and then startled that raven to get past. I believe I am now looking for a key to get into some ruins. Anyways, I am trying to do some more completion before I progress. I realize that being a metroidvania there will be things I am still locked out of, but what is the generally a=ccepted method to open wooden barriers? I've noticed some open when you do A+Down on a stump somewhere else. But are some of them breakable, and is there a special ability to break them that I don't have yet??

Not really. Slam (the one you're referring to that you use to pound wooden pillars into the ground) is the only real relevant one to open barriers. Some barriers require you to bash an explosive enemy into them, some require slamming a pole into the ground, some require switches, and a few can be broken by slamming the barrier itself. There aren't any other barrier-specific abilities later on.

finalflame

Gold Member
Not really. Slam (the one you're referring to that you use to pound wooden pillars into the ground) is the only real relevant one to open barriers. Some barriers require you to bash an explosive enemy into them, some require slamming a pole into the ground, some require switches, and a few can be broken by slamming the barrier itself. There aren't any other barrier-specific abilities later on.

Thanks, guess I gotta spend some time figuring this out.

Bluefoot

Banned
Obviously I'm not too far in but based off what I've played so far, if you beat Guacamelee you should be fine with Ori.

Gucamelee is such an amazing game, but man, I just got stuck at one part, and could not get passed it. This one part where you jump and you have to keep switching between portals to access walls to bounce between.

Just a small ass part, that I tried so many times. God.

I've also bought Ori, and am quite excited to dive into it. You know sometimes I feel like games are too retro looking, although some of the most retro games don't bother me, I can't pin it down. Ori is obviously the opposite of that, but I wonder if it will look almost too polished. I dunno, I guess thats a bit crazy to say.

dedhead54

I love this game but man does it make me mad. I can only die so many times back to back to back to back to back on the same section before I have to just turn it off. I start to do worse after the first 20 attempts on the ginso tree escape.

How long does it take to get to the top? I can only make it up for about 40 seconds before I keep dying. Please tell me it only takes about a minute, I feel like it is never going to end.

It may take me a long, long time to finally complete this game.

Haunted

Interesting post mortem - no wonder a cursory search couldn't find where your HQ/office space was located - there's none! :D

I love this game but man does it make me mad. I can only die so many times back to back to back to back to back on the same section before I have to just turn it off. I start to do worse after the first 20 attempts on the ginso tree escape.

How long does it take to get to the top? I can only make it up for about 40 seconds before I keep dying. Please tell me it only takes about a minute, I feel like it is never going to end.

It may take me a long, long time to finally complete this game.
Sounds like you're almost there!

And that sequence is by many considered to be the hardest part of the game. Keep at it and you'll make it! The feeling when you finally make it to the top after doing your best is absolutely sublime. :)

ghibli99

So is the XBO patch up? I guess I could just check, but... you know. :) It was weird, the other day I was in the middle of updating Forza Horizon 2, and decided to launch Ori for the heck of it. Crashed the entire system at the title screen with that horrible machine-gun audio sound. Hopefully not a bad omen of things to come, because this was at the top of my most wanted list last year at E3.

dedhead54

And that sequence is by many considered to be the hardest part of the game. Keep at it and you'll make it! The feeling when you finally make it to the top after doing your best is absolutely sublime. :)

Okay thats good to know. I thought there was a harder escape I had heard mentioned and I was getting worried.

Special C

Finally finished the game. Escape sequences are easily the highlight of the game. They really show off the art and graphics and provide a fair but decent challenge.

postmortem was a nice read. always enjoy insights into the design process.

i've been replaying the game the last few days. not really going for any achievements but i tried to minimize my deaths (to no avail).

speed running isn't for me. i get lost in the music and environments and then the urge to collect everything overwhelms me. by the time i'm in the forlorn ruins, it's already been 3 hours.

my ranking for favorite levels has shifted a bit.

1. Sorrow Pass. can't get enough of this. music and environment is gorgeous and gliding while fighting is good fun
2. Sunken Glades. beautiful first level all around.
3. Ginso Tree. blissful platforming with a great score. the ending is thrilling if i get it on my first few tries.
4. Misty Woods. i really appreciate the atmosphere and difficulty here despite how trippy and confusing it can be.
5. Thornfelt Swamp. love the music, water and feel-good atmosphere
6. Mt Horu. great score all around and it's the culmination of all the abilities, so i like the challenge. it can be annoying when death comes repeatedly though, especially at the ending.
7. Forlorn Ruins. gravity mechanic is neat and the music is nice, but i'm not a fan of the escape sequence.
8. Hollow Grove. not much happening here but i like the spider portion.
9. Moon Grotto. i'm not overly fond of this level. it's too gloomy for me and the camera pans to follow Gumon are excessive. the score is my least favorite and i hate all the moving rocks!

watership

You should check Amy portion of this thread dude. Seems busted and I'm not gonna make her deal with that bullshit regarding saves

Notsureifserious.jpg

You need to read this thread. Hell, just read the patch notes. The game is great, no doubt, but was realeased with a myriad of game breaking bugs.

Nothing game breaking, but I've had the game freeze up on the initial loading screen or right afterwards about 4 times. Required a hard reset of my Xbox One. Only game that had ever done that.

I was objecting to the word 'broken', which is an exaggeration. The game is not remotely broken, nor does it 'seem busted'. There are some bugs, like falling through the world, but I never ran into any of the game breaking ones (I'm not diminishing the problems people have had however).

Teggy

I was objecting to the word 'broken', which is an exaggeration. The game is not remotely broken, nor does it 'seem busted'. There are some bugs, like falling through the world, but I never ran into any of the game breaking ones (I'm not diminishing the problems people have had however).

Semantics. The instances of people who put the game on hold because of the water bug, the block moving bug, the save bug, the piledriver bug, etc. is way too common for a game released today.

I actually highly recommend the game, but I would also highly recommend waiting for the patch to come to your platform before playing it.

How does this game compare difficulty wise to Shovel Knight?

I have some credit I'm looking to get rid of on my Xbone and am debating between this and Shovel Knight.

I'm at a point in my life where I don't want to deal with super hard games just cause of time constraints, so I'll likely go with the one that's the least difficult.

Noobcraft

How does this game compare difficulty wise to Shovel Knight?

I have some credit I'm looking to get rid of on my Xbone and am debating between this and Shovel Knight.

I'm at a point in my life where I don't want to deal with super hard games just cause of time constraints, so I'll likely go with the one that's the least difficult.
I haven't played shovel knight, but I died ~300 times on my first playthrough of Ori. It has a checkpoint system that makes it not punishing to die (respawn instantly wherever you set your checkpoint up), but there are some challenging segments. I wouldn't say it's a particularly hard game though.

dLMN8R

There are three particularly difficult platforming sequences in Ori. The rest isn't too bad. But those three sequences are essentially the "boss fights" of the game. And the game makes it instant to retry after a death so there are no load times.

It's difficult, but not frustrating IMO.

Coketruck

Just lost nearly six hours of progress. Despite "saving" manually every five minutes or so, the game recognized my last save as one way before going into the water tree.

Good job, guys. This kind of stuff is unacceptable. Despite how much i was liking it, I'm done with this game.

dedhead54

So, uh... I'm supposed to be able to jump out of the water in the section immediately following the ginso tree escape? Because I can't and 2 seconds of research is showing me that this is a bug? If so that's a pretty shitty bug. I had a tough time getting past that damn escape and now I can't continue.

So, uh... I'm supposed to be able to jump out of the water in the section immediately following the ginso tree escape? Because I can't and 2 seconds of research is showing me that this is a bug? If so that's a pretty shitty bug. I had a tough time getting past that damn escape and now I can't continue.

You're playing on Xbox One? Don't quote me on it, but the patch should've released around 40 minutes ago (Gennadiy will post more 'officially' here later on) and that patch should fix all your troubles :)

dedhead54

You're playing on Xbox One? Don't quote me on it, but the patch should've released around 40 minutes ago (Gennadiy will post more 'officially' here later on) and that patch should fix all your troubles :)

Yes, XB1.

I exited out of playing Horizon 2 and saw that Ori was updating, and I came immediately to check this thread. Great news.

dedhead54

I can confirm that this patch does indeed fix the bug where some players cannot jump out of the water. Thank god I only had to wait 12 hours after it happened to me. I feel bad for those who hit this bug a month ago.

Great! Put my playthrough on hold when I started reading about the issues folk were running into. Have a couple games in mid-flight now so Ori will have to wait but I'm excited to pick it up again.

Top Bottom