• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

GennadiyKorol

Neo Member
We are happy to say that the patch is now out on both Xbox One and Steam.

Here are the combined release notes for both platforms:

Additions:
  • A new save slot backup system which allows accessing up to 5 previous save points per save slot.
  • To use the new backup system simply press Up while highlighting a save slot.
  • The save slot backup feature will only work with new soul links and auto save points being made and is not retroactive.

Bug fixes:
  • Retroactively fixed the bug where players couldn’t jump out of the water.
  • Fixed rare scenarios in which Ori would randomly fall through colliders of the ground.
  • Fixed instances in which people could save in bad locations or get into infinite death loops.
  • Fixed the “Elite” Achievement not awarding in some cases.
  • Retroactively fixed the issue of the last door in Mount Horu not opening.
  • Retroactively fixed the Light Vessel not appearing in Forlorn Ruins.
  • Fixed the issue of people being stuck under the stompable wedge in Sunken Glades.
  • Fixed instance in which players are able to sequence skip the Glide ability and get stuck.
  • Fixed pushing and pulling blocks not functioning properly in some rare cases.
  • Fixed the issue with players getting stuck under the lasers in Moon Grotto.
  • Fixed instance in which the sequence after Kuro’s Nest wouldn’t play properly.
  • Fixed the issue in which players get pushed through the ground by a stomper in Moon Grotto.
  • Fixed the sequence break that might occur due to watching Kuro’s Attack cutscene before starting a new game.
  • No longer possible to lock the game by opening the Skill Tree while Bashing.
  • Fixed the save slots set to completed when playing the last cutscene from the menu.
  • Fixed the issue of not being able to jump when getting Charge Jump without Climb.

Xbox One Related Fixes:
  • Fixed the graphical corruption when using the Suspend Resume feature.
  • Fixed scenarios in which previous game progress would be lost.
  • Fixed some of the causes of the rare crash while starting the game.
  • A lot of performance tweaking and optimization across the board.

Steam Related Fixes:
  • Significantly reduced input lag when playing the game in fullscreen with VSync On.
  • Toggling between fullscreen and windowed mode (Alt+Enter shortcut) should now be instant.
  • Alt+Tab switching performance and behavior drastically improved and is much faster.
  • Better handling of multi-monitor setups - the game can now be played in fullscreen on any monitor.
  • Resolution switching is now handled much better and is significantly faster.
  • Improved input handling for RT/LT and some buttons for different custom controllers.
  • Fixed the game hangs caused by toggling fullscreen mode, usage of win key or alt+tab.
  • Fixed text rendering when playing in DX9 mode.
  • A lot of performance tweaking and optimization across the board.

If you have any further issues, do not hesitate to immediately contact us at feedback@moongamestudios.com and we will do our best to help as soon as we can!

We are happy to say that the patch is now out on both Xbox One and Steam.

Here are the combined release notes for both platforms:

If you have any further issues, do not hesitate to immediately contact us at feedback@moongamestudios.com and we will do our best to help as soon as we can!

Grats! Can't wait to see this engine be used in the future, and with all these bugs fixed so the save/clip issues aren't as big next time around.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
omgggggggggggggg you have my sympathy. I'd be so pissed.

The first time it happened, it was shock disbelief.

When the bug struck the second time, I put down the controller, and just walked away. Everything was still powered on and the game was still running, but I just needed some alone time after that.

What? It was never broken.

I'm jealous of the folks that manage to get through the game without major incident. No sarcasm.

You probably need to save more frequently mate. :)

I thought I was being lame by saving too often. However I don't have much time for much of anything these days, let alone gaming, so losing my progress hit me pretty hard. I was an idiot for not checking online after I encountered the bug the first time,

Every five to ten minutes isn't frequent? :p

:)

You're playing on Xbox One? Don't quote me on it, but the patch should've released around 40 minutes ago (Gennadiy will post more 'officially' here later on) and that patch should fix all your troubles :)

YES! Thanks guys. Previous problems aside, the game is magnificent. Well done :)

You can, but support varies. There's a few games that purport to let you start, but just stick you at the title screen :p

Yeah this. That play-while-downloading 'feature' is largely crap. I wouldn't trust it one bit and would just wait till the game is down downloading, regardless of what game it is, personally.

Glad to see the patch is out for XB1 players. Hopefully any fence-sitters will get on this now and keep its legs running!

Izuna

Banned
Started to play this again. First two saves were botched but I waited long enough so I am on my way to finish it (patch helps).

MY GOD, I finished Part 1 again and it is just as amazing as I remember it being.

--

I spoke about this with someone and they agree, showing the percentage is what ultimately makes players want to 100% who otherwise wouldn't have minded. It would be somewhat nicer if it was simply hidden behind a button press or something. Nothing sucks more than finishing a part and having it say "95% complete, but you can't go back there" -- and even without missables, it's still conditioning the player to try and acquire everything.

This game is so beautiful though...

Whenever someone hasn't played it I get an urge to buy it for them.

Whenever someone hasn't played it I get an urge to buy it for them.

I know that feeling, man! #spreadthefeels

So has anyone gone for the 2nd playthrough cheevos like finish under 3 hours or unlock no skills?

I don't know what cheevos are, but I've earned all the achievements in this game several times over already lol. Hoping for a title update with an achievement for speedrunning it in 90 minutes or less without quitting out to the main menu. Separate the wheat from the chaff!! (It would be ok as a challenge too, so that achievement hunters don't get too bent out of shape about a high-skill achievement).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3ANq4eHmgM

Sweet!

CFbmNq9UgAAN2ED.jpg:large

Stacey

Banned
Bought an X1 a couple weeks ago and looking to increase my collection.

Now that the launch hype has settled down is this game still as good as the reviews state and are there any problems?

thanks.

Bought an X1 a couple weeks ago and looking to increase my collection.

Now that the launch hype has settled down is this game still as good as the reviews state and are there any problems?

thanks.
There are occasional frame rate issues and some glitches, but it is excellent, I mean excellent. Buy it.

Novocaine

Decided to finally pick this up as a reward for finishing Shadow of Mordor.

I have to say the game is perfect in every way except for that one area you can get locked out of before collecting everything. That IMO is the cardinal sin of Metroidvanias.

Otherwise it's undoubtedly the best looking game I've seen this year, the music is fantastic and fits the game perfectly, the story was fantastic (those intro feels) and the game play was very tight and rewarding.

I can say for certain that it's going to place somewhere in the top 3 of my GOTY list this year.

Decided to finally pick this up as a reward for finishing Shadow of Mordor.

I have to say the game is perfect in every way except for that one area you can get locked out of before collecting everything. That IMO is the cardinal sin of Metroidvanias.

Otherwise it's undoubtedly the best looking game I've seen this year, the music is fantastic and fits the game perfectly, the story was fantastic (those intro feels) and the game play was very tight and rewarding.

I can say for certain that it's going to place somewhere in the top 3 of my GOTY list this year.

There are several areas you get locked out of, not just one. Ginso Tree, Forlorn Ruins, and Misty Woods (and of course Mt Huru but that's the last area you go to... but you can still get locked out of rooms inside of it and miss a couple secret areas and a collectible).

And as answer to one of the above posters, this game wasn't about hype. It was about praising a masterpiece worthy of the praise. It's one of only a couple of contenders for my personal GOAT, not just GOTY.

Novocaine

There are several areas you get locked out of, not just one. Ginso Tree, Forlorn Ruins, and Misty Woods (and of course Mt Huru but that's the last area you go to... but you can still get locked out of rooms inside of it and miss a couple secret areas and a collectible).

And as answer to one of the above posters, this game wasn't about hype. It was about praising a masterpiece worthy of the praise. It's one of only a couple of contenders for my personal GOAT, not just GOTY.

Hm okay. I got locked out of the Forlorn Ruins, I guess I cleared the other areas the first time without the need to go back. Anyway I think that's bad design, but even with that present it's a fantastic game.

Hm okay. I got locked out of the Forlorn Ruins, I guess I cleared the other areas the first time without the need to go back. Anyway I think that's bad design, but even with that present it's a fantastic game.

Yeah it truly is, and the lockouts are forgivable considering it's a joy to replay. Technically you can go back to Misty Woods, but only to its end-state. The secret areas and energy cell inside must be obtained on the first run through it.

d00d3n

Is it possible to go back to the ginso tree later in the game? Left the place with 98% exploration, which feels unsatisfying. The normal entrance is blocked.

d00d3n

Sorry dude (dood) it is not possible to re-enter the main dungeons after finishing them.

Yeah, I had to complete the game with that 98% ginzo tree completion as a small blemish. Pushed my overall completion down to 99% as well ... I was also really close to maxing out the skill tree (one ability point left) when the game locked me out of that due to finishing the game.

I really liked the game overall, especially the art style and the attention to detail when it comes to the "feel" of core game systems (projectile/enemy surfing is almost perfect, possibly the metroidvania mechanic of all time for me). Locking the player out of content seems like an inexplicable misstep in a metroidvania title which is generally so thoughtful.

Ok so I've been done with this game for a while but hadn't gotten around to posting about it.

Goddamn incredible game. Easily in my top 10 games of the past 5 years.

Absolutely loved how brutally difficult it was. And I liked how the story was told in a very minimal kind of way, but still effective. I've never been too big on stories in games so this was the perfect way to tell it in my opinion.

I think I saw one of the people involved with the game post in here several times and excellent job guys. Will be looking out for whatever you guys do next. If you guys can nail this perfect balance of difficulty and fun then you will have another gem

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else have this game freeze when you launch it on XB1? Happens more often than not for me.

Not gonna lie, I welled up a little. Almost shed some man tears when I opened them. Ori is my most loved game since I was a child playing NES/SNES/SMS/Genesis.

I didn't hesitate to sell my 20th anniversary PS4 when home repairs called for funds. But my house will crumble around my feet before I ever sell these.

I'm going some more speedrun streams, during which I'll be giving away more copies of the game once I buy the codes off Amazon digital. Most likely just be XB1 codes but we'll see may do some more direct Steam gifting as well. I'll post a schedule of the giveaway streams on my twitch.tv/korbekgaming channel's main page soon and post back here when it's up.

Disclaimer: My channels on twitch and youtube are NOT monetized. This is purely for the community.

Holy moly THANK YOU @ThomasMahler @MoonStudios @Xbox. I couldn't have imagined something this cool!!

https://twitter.com/KorbeKGaming/with_replies

Check out the latest tweets/photos of the package that came today. So much love.

#SpreadTheFeels !!!

Glad we could make you happy :) Microsoft coined you as the 'Robin Hood' of Ori. I thought it was a super nice gesture to create that 'feels' thread where you sent copies of Ori to other Neogaf members that couldn't afford it, so I hope you enjoy that little gift from us and Microsoft :)

Top Bottom