• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Project X Zone removed from the 3DS eshop

Syriel

I'm not even talking about redownloading games, i'm talking about "delisting" in general blowing up the entire argument for digital servers "preserving" code. is the best this shitty system can do only involve helping previous customers!?

Atleast with UMVC3, you can still buy it somewhere. You can't download that shit anywhere, and that goes for MVC2, MVC Origins, among others

Just because a new customer can't buy a new copy of a game due to licensing reasons doesn't mean that the game code isn't preserved on a server.

If you bought any of those games, you can still download them.

If you want to buy one of those games now, you can buy an account with rights to those games.

MS and Sony just don't have rights to sell NEW licenses of those games.

I mean honestly the only thing that sucks about this is that you can't redownload legitimate copies which is confusing. Other services have delisted stuff too but you could always download again.

P.T? There have been others as well. Most of the time you can re-download but occasionally you cannot.

On Amazon it's $60 for physical copy and this game is really niche so anyone who wants a physical or digital copy of this game is fucked now. Really though, this is more of a Nintendo problem with how they do digital games.
It's delisted. If you bought it, you can redowload it. Not a Nintendo problem, it's how everyone handles it.

Ridley327

It's weird to see people harp on Nintendo for an issue that revolves around another publisher's licensing issues, especially when every digital marketplace that I can think of has delisted and removed titles from download histories.

bman94

I still prefer digital despite shit like this. If I went physical for 3Ds i'd have a ton shitty little cards.

sphinx

the piano man
P.T? There have been others as well. Most of the time you can re-download but occasionally you cannot.

even if it happens once it's unforgivable.

back in the early 360 days, I bought Ultimate Mortal Kombt 3 for that piece of shit ticking-bomb (original model).

when I got a replacement with another harddrive and tried to download everything back, it said "can't find product" or something like that.

they took it off the store with no chance to re-download. assholes.

I had an awful time with microsoft, never again.

Syriel

even if it happens once it's unforgivable.

back in the early 360 days, I bought Ultimate Mortal Kombt 3 for that piece of shit ticking-bomb (original model).

when I got a replacement with another harddrive and tried to download everything back, it said "can't find product" or something like that.

they took it off the store with no chance to re-download. assholes.

I had an awful time with microsoft, never again.

If you use the account that purchased it, you can re-download without issue.

Every 360 digital game is still up on the servers for people who purchased them.

You can even download games that were MP only that have had the servers killed off. The clients are basically useless at this point, but hey, if you purchased it, you can download it.

Nobody paid for P.T. though. I can't think of an example of a paid product that cannot be re-downloaded by someone who owns it.

Every single PS Mobile title on PSN.

sphinx

the piano man
If you use the account that purchased it, you can re-download without issue.

Every 360 digital game is still up on the servers for people who purchased them.

You can even download games that were MP only that have had the servers killed off. The clients are basically useless at this point, but hey, if you purchased it, you can download it.

I went through this back then. It was not and it still isn't possible to re-download. I know for a fact

Loona

For the problems the game had, the fact that it even existed was a positive thing - I'm glad I got a physical copy.

Now I'm even more glad I bought PXZ2 physical after already buying digital...

Syriel

I went through this back then. It was not and it still isn't possible to re-download. I know for a fact

It always was available to re-download if you had it on your account. And it is still available.

I just went online and added it to my download queue.

Your facts are wrong.

b3b0p

physsical copies for life what peopel wanna go digital is beyond me

When there is a day 1 patch that is required to play the game or game breaking bugs. What good is the physical copy then if you can't even play it when they take down the servers hosting the patches needed to play?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Strange, the game came out at the end of June 2013. Ya think the contract would be for a set number of full years then months but maybe not?

Syriel

I meant from a service that still exists. If something happens to one of my N64 or PSone games I can't just go buy another copy from Babbage's, either.

Eh, it's from the current version of PSN and was for play on current systems. I wouldn't compare it to a long dead console.

It's not like it would have cost Sony that much to have an authentication server running in a VM in the cloud for existing purchases. Or it could have removed the DRM locks.

Yanking purchased games (w/o a refund) from a current system is pretty sucktacular.

For the problems the game had, the fact that it even existed was a positive thing - I'm glad I got a physical copy.

Now I'm even more glad I bought PXZ2 physical after already buying digital...

That physical disc will do wonders for you if the servers are ever shut off.

Theonik

Nobody paid for P.T. though. I can't think of an example of a paid product that cannot be re-downloaded by someone who owns it.
Early EA downloader content had a limited availability where you could download it. If you look further at unsupported platforms there is a lot of games and content that have simply disappeared as their owners pulled the plug on them.

The problem is, that if the owners of the service or content wanted it gone it's gone. Notice isn't necessary either but most companies have enough sense not to tread that direction because the power DD gives them over their customers relies on customer trust.

When there is a day 1 patch that is required to play the game or game breaking bugs. What good is the physical copy then if you can't even play it when they take down the servers hosting the patches needed to play?

A game with a few bugs is better than no game.

STHX

A look at the copyright section of both titles (from the title screens) shows that the majority that were present in the first one returned in the second (PXZ2 has even more thanks to the likes of Nintendo/Intelligent Systems). The only ones I can see missing from PXZ2 are ©SRWOG and ©Banpresto. Could there be a link?

Theonik

A game with a few bugs is better than no game.
Some games have key content in day 1 patches though those are more rare. The last Tony Hawk springs to mind that couldn't go past the tutorial without the patch.

In most cases though it might not just be 'a few bugs' but the game might suffer from game breaking issues that render it unplayable. Day 1 patches are released on Day 1 exactly because the issues they solve are important that developers prioritise them over other smaller issues, some of these might have been bad enough to delay the game if the patches weren't so common and easy now.

sphinx

the piano man
You can redownload it from the download history still, but there is no entry for it on the store at all anymore. It also lacks an achievement icon now.

It always was available to re-download if you had it on your account. And it is still available.

I just went online and added it to my download queue.

Your facts are wrong.

I swear I went to my history and clicked there and it said "product couldn't be found" or something in those lines.

I was able to download everything else (Golden Axe, Street fighter II) but that it never let me.

this was around 2010 and I got rid of the console so I'll never know for sure.

Some games have key content in day 1 patches though those are more rare. The last Tony Hawk springs to mind that couldn't go past the tutorial without the patch.

In most cases though it might not just be 'a few bugs' but the game might suffer from game breaking issues that render it unplayable. Day 1 patches are released on Day 1 exactly because the issues they solve are important that developers prioritise them over other smaller issues, some of these might have been bad enough to delay the game if the patches weren't so common and easy now.

Aside from online only games, every game has to work and be playable to be released on disc.

synce

Well most people don't think of digital copies as rentals but that's exactly what they are. I think it's stated in the TOS usually

Ilvocare

I saw this thread and this is exactly what I did:

-read through the whole thread
-crouch down and check to see if my original PXZ box is there
-find it
-pop it into my 3DS immediately, booting out OoT3D
-check to see if it still runs
-it is, chuckle giddily to myself at the fact everything still works
-do some nostalgic reminiscing, looking at my total playtime, listening to the (not quite as good as the second) game's music, scroll through equipment, even pop into Chapter 2 without any equips on and play for like five minutes
-now that I'm thoroughly sated that it still fucking works and it's there, I put it away

I'm in the minority that still enjoyed the first game to some degree, enough to beat it twice. That being said, after having played PXZ2... there's just no fucking going back, man. The ONLY thing that PXZ has that PXZ2 lacks is one less pair and solo unit, and the complete lack of SRWOG representation. Everything beyond that is way better in the sequel.

It's still nice to remember precious memories, though...

Syriel

I swear I went to my history and clicked there and it said "product couldn't be found" or something in those lines.

I was able to download everything else (Golden Axe, Street fighter II) but that it never let me.

this was around 2010 and I got rid of the console so I'll never know for sure.

https://live.xbox.com/en-US/download/history

Keep scrolling down until it ends. For reference, my earliest purchase is dated 11/20/2005.

If the account owns either the full version or trial version of Ultimate MK3 it will be listed there in the purchase history. If it is not listed, then that specific account does not own it and the game was originally purchased with a different account.

sphinx

the piano man
https://live.xbox.com/en-US/download/history

Keep scrolling down until it ends. For reference, my earliest purchase is dated 11/20/2005.

If the account owns either the full version or trial version of Ultimate MK3 it will be listed there in the purchase history. If it is not listed, then that specific account does not own it and the game was originally purchased with a different account.

yeah I went there and all of my dowload history appears, including UMK3. both the trial demo and purchased game. I clicked on the "add to the queue" and it says it was added succesfully.... but with no 360 console I will never know.

I think I vaguely remember it was doing like it downloads, with %, completion bar and all and then would receive an error or something.

I know I tried and it wouldn't let me, of that I am sure.

what's the mistake here, I don't know, thanks for the link by the way.

L.O.R.D

TBH, i wouldn't mind if they remove it from my purchase history if they can give me back my $39.99 i spent on it.
i wasn't going to buy the first game digitally,but the game was so rare in the launch in my country,so i had to buy it from the eshop.

Top Bottom