• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orphan Black - new Sci-Fi thriller - Saturdays on BBC America

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm enjoying the show a lot. The plot keeps moving forward, things are resolved quickly, the clone scenes are fun, Sarah is hot and the twists are so far exciting. I hope that killer clone has a better motivation to do it all than religion. That seems lazy so I hope something else is going to be that motivation.

Tatiana Maslany is killing it so far. Her ability to switch between the clones is impressive. I like that they're not really holding back on the plot movement, too. Things are happening quickly. I would like to see a little more development from Felix and Art. I feel like they're a little one-dimensional so far. It's a small quibble in a show that's been a ton of fun so far. I wonder what percentage of the lines on this show are delivered by Maslany.

Also, any guesses if the evil clone is just crazy and trying to kill the others on her own or is someone pulling the strings?

What I think is more likely right now is that the clone went insane when someone told her that she's either a clone or the "original". This man behind the curtain later tells her that it's her responsibility to God to kill her "sisters" and sends her off in this mission. She hates herself because cloning is an abomination to God and stars mutilating herself.
Another thing that could happen is that the killer clone has been trained to kill her clones if they start meeting each other so that human cloning is still a secret.
But there's a defect in both theories because if they wanted to prevent this meeting from happening why were there like 3 clones so close to each other so I'm not that sure in either one.
I do hope that there is a better, more creative, and unexpected solution than what I wrote.

Ricker

What I think is more likely right now is that the clone went insane when someone told her that she's either a clone or the "original". This man behind the curtain later tells her that it's her responsibility to God to kill her "sisters" and sends her off in this mission. She hates herself because cloning is an abomination to God and stars mutilating herself.
Another thing that could happen is that the killer clone has been trained to kill her clones if they start meeting each other so that human cloning is still a secret.
But there's a defect in both theories because if they wanted to prevent this meeting from happening why were there like 3 clones so close to each other so I'm not that sure in either one.
I do hope that there is a better, more creative, and unexpected solution than what I wrote.

That's a good theory..I was also thinking she is the original or close and she went crazy after a while and started trying to ''peel'' off her cloned skin or something like that or that this is what happens to a clone after a long period...she is probaly not the one pulling the strings.

Strange, I thought the lines on her back were done to look like angel wings, not simply self mutilation but more like artistic scarring.

Ricker

Strange, I thought the lines on her back were done to look like angel wings, not simply self mutilation but more like artistic scarring.

Yes,that would make a lot of sense as well...didnt see it like that but now that you mention it...still a lot of things left in the air...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I agree with everyone praising Tatiana Maslany's performance. She's playing 5 or 6 different characters and yet she's somehow managed to make each one feel wholly distinct. Very impressive.

I totally saw the killer being another clone from a mile off, though for the first part of the episode I suspected the dreadlock girl. She seems sort of suspicious...

I really liked the scene where Felix cross dressed the kids up for fun. Haha

I don't fancy ready through the thread because I like the premise of the show and I'm wary of spoilers, so does anyone know if this is going to be shown in the UK? Thanks

Tokubetsu

I agree with everyone praising Tatiana Maslany's performance. She's playing 5 or 6 different characters and yet she's somehow managed to make each one feel wholly distinct. Very impressive.

I totally saw the killer being another clone from a mile off, though for the first part of the episode I suspected the dreadlock girl. She seems sort of suspicious...

I really liked the scene where Felix cross dressed the kids up for fun. Haha

Yea the scientist/dreadlocked clone seems way to calm considering whats going on. At least soccer mom is a bit gun crazy and tightly wound (plus hates the c word). Dreadlocks seems to be swimming in all of this instead of paddling like the rest of them.

Clevinger

What's more, when they talk to each other she has to pretend she's talking to herself off screen and make all those cuts to each other feel natural.

I hope they put together some good behind-the-scenes stuff on how they shot some of the Tatiana playing herself multiple times scenes. Would be fun to see.

I don't fancy ready through the thread because I like the premise of the show and I'm wary of spoilers, so does anyone know if this is going to be shown in the UK? Thanks
I haven't seen anything about UK broadcasts. I'm not sure how it works for North American productions on BBC America and when those will show up.

Clevinger

Can you imagine if they did this type of show and the actress wasn't very good?

Oh wait, that happened. It was called Ringer.

Sober

I'm almost certain there's a mix of those with their own twist on it, but yeah it looks pretty dead on that either the original or someone who thinks they are the original is killing their clones. I'm not sure if they'll touch on the "how" of the cloning as most of the tension comes from trying to keep the clone stuff on the downlow as we watch Sarah trying to figure most of this out.

Kinda odd they kinda go to avoiding dropping too obvious names that it's Toronto/GTA though. They seemed to slightly blur the license plates so you can barely see the "Ontario" bit though the actual letters are still visible. Don't think I've seen a CN Tower (or really any noticeably skyline) shot or anyone even dropping the word "Toronto".

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What's more, when they talk to each other she has to pretend she's talking to herself off screen and make all those cuts to each other feel natural.

I bet they have a stand in actress for her to play off of.

Can you imagine if they did this type of show and the actress wasn't very good?

Oh wait, that happened. It was called Ringer.

A4YQnoq.gif

IISANDERII

Tatiana Maslany is killing it so far. Her ability to switch between the clones is impressive.
I fucken love the different accents. Not that I'm an expert, but her British seems absolutely flawless and I was shocked to discover she's Canadian. The German was well done too but I was worried about a Caribbean emphasis when I saw the braided hair chick. Glad we sidestepped that land mine [The braided chick was actually American and I like how she even does a slightly different accent for that too].

Great episode. Good to see Sarah actually start growing as a person. She felt a lot more likable in this one as she started to develop a conscience.

And man, the crazy clone is creepy. She really sells the crazy eyes and that creepy drone that played when she was in the scene.

jerry113

Banned
This is the only show on TV right now that makes me continually say "oh shit!" whilst watching. It's amusing watching her fumble her way through being a cop. It's really awkward to watch, but in a really funny way.

That said, I wish our main characters weren't hipsters. I'd rather be following the adventures of the geeky clone, for example.

I'm going to be impressed if they manage to string together a good conclusion in the end. Or is this a LOST situation where they're making stuff up as they go?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Or is this a LOST situation where they're making stuff up as they go?

'Orphan Black': 10 Things You Need To Know

When "Orphan Black" finally premieres on March 30, it'll have been a long time coming. Fawcett told me he first came up with the initial premise of a woman watching her double jump in front of a train as far back as 2002. But while he'd originally conceived it as a feature film, he and Manson just couldn't crack the story. So instead, it sat on the back-burner while the two went off to other projects, until they hit on the idea of turning the concept into a TV series instead.

"I think because of the nature of the premise of "Orphan Black," we realized that it was such a complicated idea that we couldn't solve it in a two-and-a-half hour format," explained Fawcett. "We sat down and we went, 'OK, if this were a series, do you think we could finally come up with the answer?'"

And Fawcett acknowledged already having worked out with Manson where a second season could go, even if that changed a bit over the course of filming. "We certainly know where Season 2 wants to go, and that is good. But I think that it's a little bit more complicated now. We added some paint to our corner at the end of [Episode] 10 that we need to figure out how to get past."

It's a challenge Fawcett and Manson are up for though, if given the chance. "Obviously, there's also a bigger picture to the whole thing, which is a question of, 'How long are we gonna [run], will we get another season, will there be a Season 3?' " Fawcett said. "It's fun to think about though, because it's a concept that expands rather than contracts."

For his part though, Fawcett is confident in the show's prospects, saying, "I feel the show does have that thing in it that I know makes it exciting. Because I've been excited about it for the last 10 years."

Milabrega

Maggie being related to the killer clone is something I didn't see coming. I laughed at the van turning its lights on and then moving like ten feet to pick up the killer clone at the end. Thought instantly the guy who picked her up may be Paul. Then I watched the preview and (preview spoilers)
It very well may be, no sense in not showing his face unless its someone we've met or about to meet. Plus the whole spying on Paul storyline.

Scars like an angel, a fallen angel. That was pretty brazen of Helena to waltz into the police station like that. You're not John Dilinger. :p Wonder what additional role her history will play going forward. I really, really like that Kira knew Alison wasn't her real mother. Smart move by the writers to add another obstacle for our clones and also to show that a child can't be fooled just because of their age. Alison as Sarah was pretty damn funny too.

One thing I didn't get on my first viewing is the call Sarah as Elizabeth left for Art. If she completed the call, he would be able to listen to the message and the case is completely blown.

Edit:

Raj, come on son...

Grifter

Well, I mean the German lasted literally maybe 2 minutes, so I'm not surprised if she didn't put too much effort into it.
The personalities of the clones have come thru in quick appearances, which is so impressive. I was just questioning if that was truly well done. I've traveled to places where when people have spoken to me in English, I had to ask myself if they were trolling with a deliberately exaggerated accent so I can't tell.
In the car or when she was pretending at the hotel?
The car. The hotel part being silly would be good acting!

Another great episode. The killer clone looked super creepy in the beginning of the episode. Allison pretending to be Sarah was quite funny. I love how Tatiana Maslany plays all the different clones even when they are impersonate each other.
And now I'm thinking of the possibility of Sarah being the original one. The killer clone kept talking about how she was different than the others, and how she could see the light in her. Also soccer mom was surprised that she had a biological daughter which could mean that clones are sterile.

Tucah

you speak so well
One thing I didn't get on my first viewing is the call Sarah as Elizabeth left for Art. If she completed the call, he would be able to listen to the message and the case is completely blown.

I could be wrong but I took that as her leaving a message on her phone for Art and not actually calling him, so if she died he'd find her phone and listen to the message.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was a fantastic episode. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

I love how Tatiana Maslany plays all the different clones even when they are impersonate each other.

Seriously. Not only is Tatiana Maslany playing 6+ unique clone characters, but at times, some of the clones are actually impersonating some of the other clones: Sarah ---> Beth, Sarah ---> the German, Helena ---> Beth, Allison ---> Sarah. YO DAWG I HEARD YOU LIKE CLONES. And yet, she sells it every time. Tatiana Maslany is a revelation.

Sober

Helena's smile at the beginning when the kid turned the door was freaky as hell.

Seriously. Not only is Tatiana Maslany playing 6+ unique clone characters, but at times, some of the clones are actually impersonating some of the other clones: Sarah ---> Beth, Sarah ---> the German, Helena ---> Beth, Allison ---> Sarah. YO DAWG I HEARD YOU LIKE CLONES. And yet, she sells it every time. Tatiana Maslany is a revelation.
Anna Torv playing different versions of her character on Fringe suddenly feels so bleh in comparison.

jerry113

Banned
This series is on a roll. They blasted through an entire season's worth of storyline in just 4 episodes. If they were less brave, they could've stretched out their plot material by making it more of a police procedural peppered by the occasional heavy plot development, but every week so far feels so significant.

Also I'm not sure if sarah or soccer mom clone is hotter.

And there's definetely up with this paul guy. he must be involved somehow

Tatiana Maslany is killing it so far. Her ability to switch between the clones is impressive.
I haven't been blown away by someones acting like this since Enver Gjokaj in Dollhouse
TMzUd99.gif

A lot of times I get characters who look similar played by different actors mixed up, but that isn't happening at all with the clones. Great work from the directors, editors, and of course Tatiana Maslany.

Here are my predictions on what will happen:
- Alison suspects Sarah is the original (given that she has a biological daughter) and will give up that information to save her self/family.

- Art will find Sarahs 'final words' message left on her phone while snooping and will start questioning everything, but still help her out anyways

- Ms. S is a big part of developing all the clones (either one of the scientists, a donor, or she is the original)

Ricker

I didn't watch the preview for next week that plays along with the credits so I am not sure,I think it's been debunked because of what was shown but I thought the person with the hat at the end that puts Helena in the truck was
Beths boyfriend that Helena called when she was in the police station...?
...probably wrong though hehe...

Oh and Kibblebits in a post above was right about Angel wings on her back...show is great.

Sober

Not that I'm up to date on how cloning actually works or even how it works in sci-fi but I'm almost certain that all the different clones have lived the same amount of time as Sarah, which would mean there is no original, or the original would be much older and maybe they are all the same batch of clones since they seem to all be of the same age. Unless they start to introduce accelerated aging into it but it doesn't seem like there's any indication it's going that way. Perhaps she is one of the few that aren't sterile is the case for why she is so special. I'm almost hoping they don't go the route of "she is the original".

chiba

This show is surprisingly good. I'm hooked after four episodes.

Speculation on who the suit/fedora guy that saved the russian was:
I'd have to watch it again, but the body type sure looked like Sarah's bestie, Jordan Gavaris. Another line of clones maybe?

This show is really entertaining. Laser focused plot progression. Tatiana Maslany deserves every bit of praise she's getting as well. Really impressive how she's juggling so many personalities and situations, and I'm buying every minute of it. Not once does it cross my mind as a negative that it's one actress playing all these roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom