• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orson Scott Card to Rowling: " You need to see the wizard of oz."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
As for his Dumbledore comments, I'm sure he has no other reason to find that annoying.

In unrelated news, here's a random piece of OSC writing:

Laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society's regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society. The goal of the polity is not to put homosexuals in jail. The goal is to discourage people from engaging in homosexual practices in the first place, and, when they nevertheless proceed in their homosexual behavior, to encourage them to do so discreetly, so as not to shake the confidence of the community in the polity's ability to provide rules for safe, stable, dependable marriage and family relationships.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
SenseiJinx said:
No, the interesting thing about all of this is that he's stated multiple times in the past that he really likes the Harry Potter series. He's long been a proponent of them, especially in the literary community, so this is a big turnaround.

that is wierd, thanks.

"If you love the Harry Potter books, then you are part of the best of contemporary American literature"

what was the context of that comment though? Guy's wierd for sure.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
well mama, i bet i know what harry potter would say about that!

harry potter said:
"And Harry said last night," retorted Ron, "if it means we're supposed to get matey with the Slytherins, fat chance."
"Well, I think it's a pity we're not trying for a bit of inter-House unity," said Hermione crossly.
They had reached the foot of the marble staircase. A line of fourth-year Ravenclaws was crossing the entrance hall; they caught sight of Harry and hurried to form a tighter group, as though frightened he might attack stragglers.
"Yeah, we really ought to be trying to make friends with people like that," said Harry sarcastically.

tak said:
Yeah, I agree with this. The majority of stories can be made to sound similar by cherry picking facts however, the fact is also that there is only a few basic story lines that all stories are spawned from.

He says it in a jerky way, but that is the point he's making. If he really felt she was ripping him off, he would sue her. The point of the ariticle is how silly her lawsuit is, because nothing is really being ripped off.

Drinky Crow said:
massive pwnage from the mormon kook. aside from the stouffer gaffe, he's spot on. rowling's a total hack, and this lawsuit is her flailing about in empire management, insecure in the knowledge that her novels were more of a fad than a milepost in literature. burn!

Harry Potter probably won't be a fad. I'm betting it will take a spot right next to the Oz series or Dahl's books in years to come. Some people have all ready put it their. I wouldn't call her a hack either. She is not a great writer but she is a pretty good storyteller. She really nailed the fairytale for a today's audience while still keeping it timeless. She obviously did her homework and it's no shock to found out her story has roots elsewhere. Every fairytale ever does.

She does seem to be grasping for air though. The lawsuit reeks of creative bankruptcy. I'm sure she'll come up with something, but it'll never match her Harry Potter success, which could crush her.

plovie

Supernatural boy with a tough childhood ends up in an epic battle between good vs. evil. Yeah, so complex and original.

They're both based on age-old archetypes that have been present in stories for hundreds of years, so they're equally detrimental.
it makes it seem like he's never read a Harry Potter book. Many works of fiction can be made to look identical with carefully worded summaries.

You mean like the similarities it bears to any number of other works? It's certainly possible and happens all the time when the terms are reduced to being as basic as OSC goes. Clearly what actually happens in the books is different but the way he has selectively chosen aspects which could go either way is telling.

It's not just that Harry Potter follows the general sort of hero archetype. What about the specific points that OSC brings up here?

Well, heck, I feel like the plot of my novel Ender's Game was stolen by J.K. Rowling.

A young kid growing up in an oppressive family situation suddenly learns that he is one of a special class of children with special abilities, who are to be educated in a remote training facility where student life is dominated by an intense game played by teams flying in midair, at which this kid turns out to be exceptionally talented and a natural leader. He trains other kids in unauthorized extra sessions, which enrages his enemies, who attack him with the intention of killing him; but he is protected by his loyal, brilliant friends and gains strength from the love of some of his family members. He is given special guidance by an older man of legendary accomplishments who previously kept the enemy at bay. He goes on to become the crucial figure in a struggle against an unseen enemy who threatens the whole world.

"where student life is dominated by an intense game played by teams flying in midair" for example isn't exactly an old archetype. I can't think of too many other stories that follows this particular plot either.

tak

I just remebered, it's really funny that Orson Scott is criticizing Rowlins for ripping off his work. He ripped off the majority of the Book of Mormon with his Ender series.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm conflicted, because OSC is a dick, but I think Rowling's lawsuit IS ridiculous...

levious

plovie said:
"where student life is dominated by an intense game played by teams flying in midair" for example isn't exactly an old archetype. I can't think of too many other stories that follows this particular plot either.

Top Gun

I_D

tak said:
I just remebered, it's really funny that Orson Scott is criticizing Rowlins for ripping off his work. He ripped off the majority of the Book of Mormon with his Ender series.

The difference is that OSC is being sarcastic, whereas Rowling is suing people.

tak said:

Um, what? What does the Book of Mormon have to do with Ender's Game?

Besides, he wrote an entire series that was basically the Book of Mormon in a sci-fi setting. But read this as well, before people start spouting off more ridiculous stuff.

Immortal_Daemon said:
The difference is that OSC is being sarcastic, whereas Rowling is suing people.
Rowling is suing someone who copied her exact writings and put them into their own book. She isn't just suing people left and right.

levious

plovie said:
:lol That's true. But that doesn't really qualify it as some sort of age old archetype.

I forget who mentioned "age old archetype" but he was probably only referring to the special boy, rough childhood, swept up in good versus evil parts.

tak

SenseiJinx said:
Um, what? What does the Book of Mormon have to do with Ender's Game?
The majority of his books are derived form Mormon beliefs or Mormon history. Ender's game is not an exception to this, and there is a large body of people that think this too and I think you know this too since you seem to be a fan of his work.

SenseiJinx said:
Besides, he wrote an entire series that was basically the Book of Mormon in a sci-fi setting. But read this as well, before people start spouting off more ridiculous stuff.
I don't think he is plagiarizing, my point is that its a little hypocritical for him to scream that someone is using basic themes from his work when he himself derives the majority of his stories from other works.

tak said:
The majority of his books are derived form Mormon books or Mormon history. Ender's game is not an exception to this, and there is a large body of people that think this too.

I don't think he is plagiarizing, my point is that its a little hypocritical for him to scream that someone is using basic themes from his work when he himself derives the majority of his stories from other works.

Point taken, and I know that all of his works have some Mormon themes in them. But like what has been said before, it seems like he was being sarcastic in order to get a point across when he started claiming that Rowling stole some of this themes. I don't think it came off like he intended, but that's what it seems like.

ChunderMan

Living in a one-dimensional world...
Good job, OSC. And for all of the people saying he's a one hit wonder, Speaker for the Dead was a way better book than Ender's Game.

ChunderMan said:
Good job, OSC. And for all of the people saying he's a one hit wonder, Speaker for the Dead was a way better book than Ender's Game.

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that he's written plenty of books better than Ender's Game. Most people don't know about them, though.

If you want some pretty brutal books that are missing a lot of the things that make Card annoying these days, pick up Treason or Songmaster. Nowadays his books seem to all have some agenda, that makes the entire experience kind of shallow, in addition to the ever maddening voice that all his characters seem to have.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
bluemax said:
Redwall > Harry Rotter as far as formulaic British Children's literature goes.
redwall.png

RyanDG

tak said:

I think you may be missing the point of his little tirade/article. It isn't the fact that JK Rowling has done this that he is complaining about. It's the fact that she has done this and then on return has decided to take a position of moral superiority in court while pressing through with a ridiculous lawsuit.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
grandjedi6 said:
Where is the message? You have to post the message with xkcd comics
I thought Penny Arcade was the half comic half blurb.

Is there some other half of xkcd I wasn't aware about?

castle007

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
massive pwnage from the mormon kook. aside from the stouffer gaffe, he's spot on. rowling's a total hack, and this lawsuit is her flailing about in empire management, insecure in the knowledge that her novels were more of a fad than a milepost in literature. burn!

It is drinky!!!!

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Halycon said:
I thought Penny Arcade was the half comic half blurb.

Is there some other half of xkcd I wasn't aware about?

There is an unfunny alt text on all the images.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
RyanDG said:
I think you may be missing the point of his little tirade/article. It isn't the fact that JK Rowling has done this that he is complaining about. It's the fact that she has done this and then on return has decided to take a position of moral superiority in court while pressing through with a ridiculous lawsuit.

Bingo. I think some people are missing the point of his post completely. He is being facetious in some aspects.

tak

RyanDG said:
I think the JK Rowling lawsuit is ridiculous. My comments are directed at his comment, "Well, heck, I feel like the plot of my novel Ender's Game was stolen by J.K. Rowling." He may be facetious about Rowlings ripping him off, but I think he thinks there is some truth to it, considering the depth he goes into with that one paragraph.

tak said:
I think the JK Rowling lawsuit is ridiculous. My comments are directed at his comment, "Well, heck, I feel like the plot of my novel Ender's Game was stolen by J.K. Rowling."

Well see, that's the thing. He purposefully made it sound both ridiculous and plausible. He wasn't actually trying to say that Rowling ripped off his stuff. He was making a bloody point.

way more

"You ripped off my story about a unappreciated child with hidden genius and the torment he faces at school!"

I would love to hear how Star Wars ripped him off too.

Tauntaun

Banned
Drinky Crow said:

I just noticed your tag. :mad: I'll fist an admin and get that fixed.

:bow drinky cow :bow2

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
A Geocities site with play-by-play analysis of the Worst Witch? Oh, Orson Scott Card, you rascal, you're always finding ways for me to feel like a kid again!

bengraven

I fell in love with Harry Potter and the series because it brought back nostalgia from watching The Worst Witch on HBO back in the 80's...and reading about Tim Hunter in the 90's.

So.

Yeah.

What was this kid's site anyway?

Jeff-DSA

Drinky Crow said:

You basically said what I was going to, sans proper capitalization.

A kid growing up under oppressive conditions, then finds out he can join an elite group, among which he is a natural leader and spectacularly talented? Gets tutored by a wise old man who's only ever succeeded at keeping the bad guys at bay, goes on to overthrow the bad guys decisively?

That's Star Wars!

Seriously, this kind of fiction is always borrowing from shared archtypes.

Yaweee

I like Orson Scott Card, but he kind of misses/misrepresents the point of Rowling's lawsuit. She's not suing him for plagiarism, but for producing a derivative work that inhibits her ability to sell her own product, a similar encyclopedia for the Harry Potter world. I think she'll lose, as her case goes a little beyond the established lines.

Oh, and I agree with other posters' that he "played the carefully misconstrued description" card

I know a lot of "Litterateurs" that actually do like her works, if that counts for anything. Yeah, her work isn't as original as his work, but he is extremely harsh and condescending in his criticism.

darscot said:
An interesting read but in the end sounds like some bitter old bugger ranting.

Pretty much. He has a lot of... humorous... articles in LDS publications.

darscot

An interesting read but in the end sounds like some bitter old bugger ranting. Everyone loves to jump on her now. I feel its within her rights to protect her interests she doesn't want some online hack trying to get rich off her. She had no complains about his website but now that he is trying to get a book published she is saying no this is mine. Once you at the top everyone wants to bring you down. One only needs to check who sells the most books to see who the greatest writer of the era is.

darscot said:
An interesting read but in the end sounds like some bitter old bugger ranting. Everyone loves to jump on her now. I feel its within her rights to protect her interests she doesn't want some online hack trying to get rich off her. She had no complains about his website but now that he is trying to get a book published she is saying no this is mine. Once you at the top everyone wants to bring you down. One only needs to check who sells the most books to see who the greatest writer of the era is.
ahahaha did I read this right? You're calling Rowlin the greatest writer of our era?

Jeff-DSA

darscot said:

Hmmm, no. John Grisham isn't better than Tom Stoppard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom