• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orson Scott Card to Rowling: " You need to see the wizard of oz."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford Prefect said:
Because homophobia IS a big deal, and she probably got a kick out of offending the ass-backward sensibilities of retards around the world.

That too. It wasn't even really that big of a deal in the first place.

If she's so socially progressive she could have spelled it out in the novel. But no, that could have led to boycotts by some people so she didn't do it.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Absinthe said:
If she's so socially progressive she could have spelled it out in the novel. But no, that could have led to boycotts by some people so she didn't do it.
She's SO socially progressive that she knows (like I posted earlier) that a person's sexuality does not define them and is not even necessarily noteworthy. If what's-her-name-cat-lady didn't need to have her sexuality spelled out, why would Dumbledore?

traveler

Not Wario
Absinthe said:

There were plenty of details she could have put in the books that she didn't, as she has revealed several times. This was not exclusive to the boycott-threatening fact of Dumbledore's sexuality. Besides, if she had put it in the book randomly without any real reason for it, (as its inclusion would have had to be inserted) Card would simply be asserting she unnecessarily threw in a gay character to draw even more controversy and sell even more copies.

way more

Absinthe said:

Usually when an author has a closeted gay character they don't go out of their way to portray them as gay. Like I said, every time I read a book with a gay character I only realize it once someone says, "you know they're gay, right?" Then I look it up and am surprised by how much simply goes over my head.

When you write a gay character you don't have shit like, "Dumbledore looked up from his copy of Playgirl to tell the young wizards . . ."

Sweet. I found a great SNL skit pertaining to this issue.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ivysaur12 said:
Someone's bitter.

The lawsuit is stupid, but seriously, he sounds like a fucking baby.
agreed

i liked enders game but fuck this guy, the similarities are retarded imo

plagiarism my ass

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
-COOLIO- said:
card is mormon?

well i guess being an active bitter douche comes before being an active mormon

Ender's game was great, but Speaker for the Dead had a little too much "mormonism" in it for me....

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
watching authors try to dis each other is like watching 50 Cent and Ja Rule 'battle rap'. Seriously, Orson. You're named after one of the worst cartoon characters of my childhood, so you never had a chance of winning my mind to begin with. But sit down. This isn't about you so why do you even butt in?

Blackace said:
still for an active Mormon that is pretty harsh..
I heard afterwards he drank non-decaffeinated coffee. That Card is a wild man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom