• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

LCfiner

So...with this new OS out...best place to ask here.

I want to buy a 27inch iMac, and I want to make it as fast as humanly possible and snappy, costs be dammed. 32 Gigs of RAM and a Fusion Drive will do that? Or would that be extreme overkill and get diminishing returns after a certain threshold?

16 GB Ram is plenty. unless you’re editing around photoshop files that are 20 GB by themselves, I don’t think it’s worth it.

A straight SSD will be faster than a Fusion Drive in some cases (very large data transfers). So if you can get the max size SSD instead of the fusion drive, that would make it about as fast as an iMac can get. But you’ll have less storage space on board. But a thunderbolt based SSD external drive will be just about as fast as an internal one and you can store tons of stuff there. just costs a fortune

I'm buying a second monitor from Dell (also as big), and will be working out of Final Cut Pro, Sound editing, writing, some Adobe programs as well as using Chrome which eats RAM too.

Eh, might as well, considering prices. But, as LCFiner says, gigantic PS file work would be the best use case for that much RAM. I run into occasional issues with my 24GB editing .2 ~.5 gigapixel 16-bit color images.

As you know, a lot of your IO is probably still going to be spinning disk based if you are doing a lot of Video work with that setup. Depends on usage, I'd imagine.

Fuchsdh

Maps sends directions to your phone. It's nice. Not sure why there's so much against them dropping it in the OS, even if it's redundant.

Redundant with someone using Maps on an iPad, perhaps. But not for someone on an iPhone. Trip planning is impossible on that small a screen.

@TacticalFox

More RAM is always better, and especially with Adobe app's memory usage. I can lock them to 20/24GB of my RAM and still be able to comfortably surf the web or serve media while After Effects does a multimachine render in the background. If the price is right I don't think you'll lament maxing it.

fabprems

Going fresh install on my mid-2010 iMac.

mileygif1.gif

Hey, I want to go fresh too on my mid-2011 iMac, but how do I can easily transfer all my iphoto and itunes stuff ?

upandaway

Getting it first and foremost for the multi-monitor support. They sure took their time to fix that, but better than never. The optimization that they're boasting there should be neat too. Don't really care about anything else.

First time I won't be doing a clean install. Feels wrong, but I'll get used to it!

Anyone know if Facebook and Twitter performance in Safari is improved in Mavericks? Both run like ass on my 2013 Macbook Air through Safari, though smooth as butter in Chrome.

I transferred everything over to my current MacbookPro from a much older macbook laptop and have updated the OS ever since, so I can't wait for a clean install.

Does anyone know if apple is going to give you Mavericks for free like with Lion? You know if you bought you're Mac right before Mavericks was released?

Majine

Banned
Does anyone know if apple is going to give you Mavericks for free like with Lion? You know if you bought you're Mac right before Mavericks was released?

Probably (altho not confirmed). It's a good way to incentivize buying new Macs, and I don't think they are giving up pricing it just yet.

LCfiner

It is here. I was quoted in the opening post of this thread on the iOS 6 release and none of those issues have been fixed in my town. I submitted a correction to a misspelling of the name of one of the suburbs and it's still not been changed.

yup. same here in montreal. still lots of POI data that’s completely missing and basic spelling errors submitted to Apple have not been fixed.

If you don’t know exactly where you want to go, the data isn’t very useful

NekoFever

It's actually not bad for navigation if you have an exact address that you're trying to go to. It's the POI and business database that's complete shit.

yup. same here in montreal. still lots of POI data that’s completely missing and basic spelling errors submitted to Apple have not been fixed.

If you don’t know exactly where you want to go, the data isn’t very useful

Wow and I'll be able to get all of that on my Mac? Tell me more.

Dany

Banned
I have no inclination to attempt and use apple maps because google is reliably consistent with being 100% correct.

Futureman

If you already bought it, it's probably too early. That free upgrade deal is most likely going to be from the upcoming Apple keynote and forward.

Last year, 10.8 released on July 25th and Apple gave people who purchased Macs from June 10th forward free upgrades.

so you will probably be safe if you purchased around September 10th forward (assuming late October release which looks increasingly likely.

(Lion was released July 20th, up-to-date for June 6th forward... pretty much always about 6-week lead time)

Skunkers

So...with this new OS out...best place to ask here.

I want to buy a 27inch iMac, and I want to make it as fast as humanly possible and snappy, costs be dammed. 32 Gigs of RAM and a Fusion Drive will do that? Or would that be extreme overkill and get diminishing returns after a certain threshold?

Buying one with an SSD or Fusion Drive should be a tremendous driving factor.

I just bought a base 21" iMac with no boxes checked about a month ago, without really researching it. Not getting the Fusion Drive is my single biggest regret because the stock hard drive in this thing is so agonizingly slow. The machine's power shows through when I play games my previous machine (a 2006 Intel Core Duo) couldn't dream of touching, but I had upgraded that machine with a 7200rpm 750GB so it was relatively quick around the Finder. This new machine is actually slower than my old one at a lot of operations simply because the HDD Apple used in it is absolutely pathetic. It's really not an exaggeration in any way, whoever had this HDD put in the new iMacs should be fired, as I'm really regretting this purchase.

Guess Who

Banned
Buying one with an SSD or Fusion Drive should be a tremendous driving factor.

I just bought a base 21" iMac with no boxes checked about a month ago, without really researching it. Not getting the Fusion Drive is my single biggest regret because the stock hard drive in this thing is so agonizingly slow. The machine's power shows through when I play games my previous machine (a 2006 Intel Core Duo) couldn't dream of touching, but I had upgraded that machine with a 7200rpm 750GB so it was relatively quick around the Finder. This new machine is actually slower than my old one at a lot of operations simply because the HDD Apple used in it is absolutely pathetic. It's really not an exaggeration in any way, whoever had this HDD put in the new iMacs should be fired, as I'm really regretting this purchase.

To realtalk, the 21.5" iMac only has 5400RPM drives while the 27" the poster you're replying to speaks of comes with 7200RPM standard.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The multi monitor changes are the only thing worth paying for here, and it's enough to get me to buy
The notable UI speedup is more than worth paying for if you have Retina MBPs.
it is very noticeable, it's basically I got new computer that feels about 50% faster in everyday OS navigating and web browsing operations.

So according to a poster on MacRumors, the 9.4.7 build of iPhoto seeded with the Mavericks GM updates iPhoto to be 64-bit.

Can any of the testers here confirm?

That would be awesome if true. The iLife apps haven't really seen a major update since 2010, and are starting to show their age technically, and somewhat feature-wise.

If true, hopefully iMovie will be next.

How much work does Apple have to do to make apps 64-bit on OS X anymore? Do we think this was a change that has been slowly happening over time with iPhoto, kind of like the slow revisions of iTunes to 64-bit?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Started to notice that Snow Leopard is not being supported by some apps so I may consider updating finally. Tagging is one of the new feature that interests me. Spotlight comments were just too much of a hassle to deal with.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Did they happen to add pinning to tabs in Safari? This is the only thing stopping me from using it. I have like 8-10 tabs open and usually pin 6 of them to save space.

Number45

Did they happen to add pinning to tabs in Safari? This is the only thing stopping me from using it. I have like 8-10 tabs open and usually pin 6 of them to save space.
Yeah, hopefully that comes along with the ability to use bookmarks with no title (as opposed to NO_TITLE).

LCfiner

Übermatik;85163761 said:
So if I grab the 'preview' now (or Gold Master or whatever it's called), it won't fuck up the programs I'm using right? Or...?

there’s always a chance some programs may have bugs or issues and need to be updated. If you use critical apps for work, wait until you’ve heard from devs that they’ve been updated for Mavericks or that they know their apps work 100%.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Looks like you can't close an empty tab in Safari 7.

Also, I think game performance has generally been degraded under Mavericks. Every game I tried either works the same exact as before, or the performance is worse, or in some cases they won't start at all anymore.

Braid won't run at all in fullscreen anymore, but runs windowed. Halo for Mac won't run no matter what. Mark of Ninja has terrible performance now. Some other games I tried work fine though, but not one of them runs better than before.

there’s always a chance some programs may have bugs or issues and need to be updated. If you use critical apps for work, wait until you’ve heard from devs that they’ve been updated for Mavericks or that they know their apps work 100%.

Righto. I have a developer account, so I can grab the preview I think, right?

diffusionx

Gold Member

I have a 5400rpm drive in my 2011 MBP and it really is horrible. Never again.

LCfiner

Übermatik;85167724 said:
Righto. I have a developer account, so I can grab the preview I think, right?

yup.

And it’s relatively low risk as it’s the GM and no longer a beta (beta did have some serious, obvious bugs - not anymore)

Top Bottom