• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2016 |OT| 5:30am PT Thur Jan 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

robotrock

Banned
Part of me is really hoping that Leo doesn't win the Oscar again this year, if only because I'd totally miss the memes...

rs_397x165-140303100544-tumblr_n1v1obIR9J1rogwl3o1_400.gif

rs_500x226-141111110712-tumblr_mzaxydTKHh1qzk8y5o1_500.gif

tumblr_n1e7oaf4c61ts0xy4o1_250.gif
The worst joke on the Internet

I want Mad Max to win, but it bight boil down to The Revenant, Spotlight and The Big Short. The Martian could be a huge dark horse upset.

The Martian is this year's American Sniper, it got it the race due to the strength of its huge box office. It's not going to win.

Fury Road OTOH, doesn't get bonus point from BO number, so the chance of it winning BP is not high.

Ridley327

Wow we've already got to the 'be super reductive about BP nominees' part of this production

Carol: two lesbians find out it's really hard to be in a relationship in 1950s America
The Big Short: bankers are largely terrible human beings, and here's why that is
Mad Max: Fury Road: filmed adaptation of the cover for the Judas Priest album, Painkiller
The Martian: MacGyver has to figure out how to get off of Mars
Bridge of Spies: something that could have been bad during the early days of the Cold War, but didn't

I don't know enough about Brooklyn or Room to do one for those, but hey.

Kazaam

Carol not getting bp is horseshit.

Spotlight, The Martian, The Big Short, Mad Max, Brooklyn and The Revenant getting bp nominations is even more horseshit.

Also this year's best actor category couldn't be any less interesting.

Couldn't agree more. Yet not at all surprising.

Imagine if the score for Inside Out was nominated beat Morricone and Williams. I'd laugh. I'd laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh. And I love the score for Inside Out. It's the film's best feature.

Moonkid

The Force Awakens score nom is a joke considering it easily has the weakest music of the entire saga. I hope Deakins gets it for the cinematography but I can't be that mad considering it'll probably go to The Revenant. Overall I'm disappointed by how few nominations Sicario got. It'd be great if Johansson won though.

Vice

It seems weird that there's nothing on their for Beasts of No Nation and no best Picture nom for Carol. Especially with The Big Short getting so much.

So Zelda Williams said on Twitter that the Academy has "shown it's true color today"

I don't follow academy news or the oscars at all, but I do follow Zelda Williams.

What is she referring to? You guys are talking about some fuckery, but is there any more to it @_@

Dabanton

Looks like the acting nominees are all white again this year. Controversy!?!

#OscarsSoWhite has been trending.

So Zelda Williams said on Twitter that the Academy has "shown it's true color today"

I don't follow academy news or the oscars at all, but I do follow Zelda Williams.

What is she referring to? You guys are talking about some fuckery, but is there any more to it @_@

Surely she meant 'lack of colour' :p

I'm guessing in reference to the overly white nominations and the lack of Beasts of No Nation.

As far as directing goes the DGA's result should be the indicator who wins it, right?

It is, but ultimately the PGA in the big one. They have the same preferential ballot system as the Academy, and ever since the BP field expanded they've been 100% dead-on with the BP winner(even given the fact they had a tie with Gravity/12 Years a Slave one time)

Possibly, but the DGA is a matter of just directors voting on it versus every Academy voter voting on it. The major awards are open to all voters.

Yup. Ben Affleck is the only DGA winner in the last 10 years to not win the Oscar. He wasn't even nominated though.

Just looked it up on wiki, it's a very good sign indeed. The bolded are who didn't win or weren't nominated at all. I counted 7, excluding Rossen in '49 because of what's written in **

1948: Joseph Mankiewicz, A Letter to Three Wives**
1949: Robert Rossen, All the King's Men**
1950: Joseph Mankiewicz, All About Eve
1951: George Stevens, A Place in the Sun
1952: John Ford, The Quiet Man
1953: Fred Zinnemann, From Here to Eternity
1954: Elia Kazan, On the Waterfront
1955: Delbert Mann, Marty
1956: George Stevens, Giant
1957: David Lean, The Bridge on the River Kwai
1958: Vincente Minnelli, Gigi
1959: William Wyler, Ben-Hur
1960: Billy Wilder, The Apartment
1961: Robert Wise, West Side Story
1962: David Lean, Lawrence of Arabia
1963: Tony Richardson, Tom Jones
1964: George Cukor, My Fair Lady
1965: Robert Wise, The Sound of Music
1966: Fred Zinnemann, A Man for All Seasons
1967: Mike Nichols, The Graduate
1968: Anthony Harvey, The Lion in Winter*
1969: John Schlesinger, Midnight Cowboy
1970: Franklin Schaffner, Patton
1971: William Friedkin, The French Connection
1972: Francis Ford Coppola, The Godfather*
1973: George Roy Hill, The Sting
1974: Francis Ford Coppola, The Godfather Part II
1975: Miloš Forman, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
1976: John G. Avildsen, Rocky
1977: Woody Allen, Annie Hall
1978: Michael Cimino, The Deer Hunter
1979: Robert Benton, Kramer vs. Kramer
1980: Robert Redford, Ordinary People
1981: Warren Beatty, Reds
1982: Richard Attenborough, Gandhi
1983: James L. Brooks, Terms of Endearment
1984: Miloš Forman, Amadeus
1985: Steven Spielberg, The Color Purple***
1986: Oliver Stone, Platoon
1987: Bernardo Bertolucci, The Last Emperor
1988: Barry Levinson, Rain Man
1989: Oliver Stone, Born on the Fourth of July
1990: Kevin Costner, Dances with Wolves
1991: Jonathan Demme, The Silence of the Lambs
1992: Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven
1993: Steven Spielberg, Schindler's List
1994: Robert Zemeckis, Forrest Gump
1995: Ron Howard, Apollo 13***
1996: Anthony Minghella, The English Patient
1997: James Cameron, Titanic
1998: Steven Spielberg, Saving Private Ryan
1999: Sam Mendes, American Beauty
2000: Ang Lee, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon*
2001: Ron Howard, A Beautiful Mind
2002: Rob Marshall, Chicago*
2003: Peter Jackson, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2004: Clint Eastwood, Million Dollar Baby
2005: Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain
2006: Martin Scorsese, The Departed
2007: Ethan and Joel Coen, No Country For Old Men
2008: Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
2009: Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
2010: Tom Hooper, The King's Speech
2011: Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
2012: Ben Affleck, Argo[1]***
2013: Alfonso Cuarón, Gravity
2014: Alejandro González Iñárritu, Birdman Or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
2015: TBA
* - Director did not win the Academy Award.
** - Originally, the DGA used a non-calendar year for its award. Both films competed in the 22nd Academy Awards for 1949, and both directors were nominated for Best Director; Mankiewicz won. All the King's Men won Best Picture; Rossen's DGA was not awarded until after the Oscars. (Beginning with the 1951 award in 1952, the DGA has been always awarded before the Oscars.)
*** - Was not nominated for Academy Award that year.

Nafai1123

Banned
Not surprised that Beasts of No Nation got snubbed. Netflix laughed in the face of the entire industry and we all know the Oscars are political BS.

It is, but ultimately the PGA in the big one. They have the same preferential ballot system as the Academy, and ever since the BP field expanded they've been 100% dead-on with the BP winner(even given the fact they had a tie with Gravity/12 Years a Slave one time)

Looked this up and indeed. 7 didn't get in the end.

1989: Driving Miss Daisy *

1990: Dances with Wolves *

1991: The Silence of the Lambs *

1992: The Crying Game

1993: Schindler's List *

1994: Forrest Gump *

1995: Apollo 13

1996: The English Patient *

1997: Titanic *

1998: Saving Private Ryan

1999: American Beauty *

2000: Gladiator *

2001: Moulin Rouge!

2002: Chicago *

2003: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King *

2004: The Aviator

2005: Brokeback Mountain

2006: Little Miss Sunshine

2007: No Country for Old Men *

2008: Slumdog Millionaire *

2009: The Hurt Locker *

2010: The King's Speech *

2011: The Artist *

2012: Argo *

2013: 12 Years a Slave * (tie)

Gravity (tie)
by producers Alfonso Cuarón and David Heyman

2014: Birdman *

Ridley327

I know this post was in jest, but this is such a wrong description of this movie.
It is, but I think it was a little bit nicer than saying "how to explain the financial crisis of 2008 to someone with ADD." But that is the point of going over the top with those reductions.

a big LOL to Black Mass. The Oscar talk around that was so forced, just cuz it was September and Johnny Depp wore a bald cap. Couldn't get in a weak Best Actor field like this.

Vice

Minority actors get ignored even if they put up some of the better performances of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom