• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2016 |OT| 5:30am PT Thur Jan 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
I didnt know I would care but I'm so happy that The Martian made it on. Who knew an up beat pro science movie would inspire such salt?
It's just odd salt too. Like the film is too much of a crowd pleaser and corny and then someone brings up Interstellar.

Not enough dread and ridiculous script elements that blend new age mumbo jumbo with abuses of actual science to shackle onto a bunch of contrived character relations I guess.

Jonm1010

Banned
I agree. I actually loved that it was just about humanity showing their good side and trying to help someone in a bad situation. The only villain in that movie was Mars.

Me too. It was a nice break from the typical formula of hollywood movies and moreover science fiction films.

Into

TFA's score is a massive disappointment. Other than Rey's theme, everything is forgettable.

Its one thing you can say Phantom Menace did better, the music. (And the only thing really)

Martian was a nice surprise, it looked like a turd in the making, but came out really well. Not sure it deserves best picture nomination.

Cosmozone

So happy for Fury Road getting some respect. Still bummed Theron and Junkie XL (hate Williams) missed out. Other films had a harder time, though. Should I dare to get my hopes up for George Miller, aaah!

From all I've heard, The Revenant, Creed and The Big Short are films, I'd like. And perhaps Carol.

Everything has already been said about Inside Out. I personally thought it was good, but not even among Pixar's best. So much wasted potential.

Ridley327

Star Wars: TFA does not deserve to be nominated for best original score. Switch that out with The Revenant. I know its only up cause the movie made money and it would be his 50th nomination but come on.

Edit: hell even Fury Road's score is better then TFA.

IIRC, the score for The Revenant was already disqualified as it re-appropriates an existing piece of non-film music into the film's score, which is a no-no for the voting guidelines. I believe the same thing happened to Johnny Greenwood's score for There Will Be Blood.

IIRC, the score for The Revenant was already disqualified as it re-appropriates an existing piece of non-film music into the film's score, which is a no-no for the voting guidelines. I believe the same thing happened to Johnny Greenwood's score for There Will Be Blood.

Ah that would make sense then. But then shouldn't Budphest been disqualified last year? If I remember right there is a string concerto or something that's not done by Desplat, unless maybe they licensed it out. Maybe I remember wrong.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Happy to see Room get the big gun noms, BP, Director, Screenplay and Actress.

More people need to see it cause its legit fantastic. Better than Spotlight or Big Short, which people are under the misguided idea that these two actually have a shot at winning lol.

Revenant is clearly the leader here. Spotlight was great but didnt have that lasting impact or scope a typical BP winner has. It has no shot at Director or BP. I dont care whats up with SAG. Mad Max, while it would be nice, im not sure the Oscars are ready to embrace a movie like that as BP. Revenant has all the ingredients for BP.

Director is the one thats up in the air. Could go to like, 3 people.

Ridley327

Ah that would make sense then. But then shouldn't Budphest been disqualified last year? If I remember right there is a string concerto or something that's not done by Desplat, unless maybe they licensed it out. Maybe I remember wrong.

I think there's some kind of weird percentage thing that goes on that gets considered. A score can have existing material in it (as Star Wars obviously would have), but as long as it's over that threshold of brand-new material, everything is OK. I would have to think that The Grand Budapest Hotel complied with that guideline, while The Revenant did not. As I'm not familiar with whatever piece that it appropriated, I honestly could not tell you one way or the other how much it's used throughout.

I think there's some kind of weird percentage thing that goes on that gets considered. A score can have existing material in it (as Star Wars obviously would have), but as long as it's over that threshold of brand-new material, everything is OK. I would have to think that The Grand Budapest Hotel complied with that guideline, while The Revenant did not. As I'm not familiar with whatever piece that it appropriated, I honestly could not tell you one way or the other how much it's used throughout.

It's all good. Thanks for the insight though!

Edit: Could also be that The Revenant had 3 people credited for its score and I believe that's why TDK didn't get nominated the year it was up cause Zimmer or someone listed like 5 people for it.

At least that's what I remember and my memory is pretty poor at times lol.

Cerberus

In The Revenant's case, it's hard for a score to be eligible if there's more than one composer involved.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompson...ete-for-the-oscar-for-original-score-20151216

To be eligible, per the Academy, "the original score must be a substantial body of music that serves as original dramatic underscoring, and must be written specifically for the motion picture by the submitting composer. Scores diluted by the use of tracked themes or other preexisting music, diminished in impact by the predominant use of songs, or assembled from the music of more than one composer shall not be eligible."

As expected, Ryuichi Sakamoto's score for "The Revenant" did not fit their criteria (they couldn't separate out his contributions from his two collaborators), and filmmaker A.G. Inarritu is not happy about it. (Fox is appealing the ruling.)

It's all good. Thanks for the insight though!

Edit: Could also be that The Revenant had 3 people credited for its score and I believe that's why TDK didn't get nominated the year it was up cause Zimmer or someone listed like 5 people for it.

At least that's what I remember and my memory is pretty poor at times lol.

No, you're right. The Academy disqualified the score because they couldn't separate Sakamoto's contributions from his two collaborators. Because you remember, they nominate sole composers, not scores. Which is pretty silly, but there ya go.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Happy to see Room get the big gun noms, BP, Director, Screenplay and Actress.

More people need to see it cause its legit fantastic. Better than Spotlight or Big Short, which people are under the misguided idea that these two actually have a shot at winning lol.

Revenant is clearly the leader here. Spotlight was great but didnt have that lasting impact or scope a typical BP winner has. It has no shot at Director or BP. I dont care whats up with SAG. Mad Max, while it would be nice, im not sure the Oscars are ready to embrace a movie like that as BP. Revenant has all the ingredients for BP.

Director is the one thats up in the air. Could go to like, 3 people.
You mean The Artist? Kings Speech?

~Kinggi~

Banned
You mean The Artist? Kings Speech?

To me it isnt like those movies, they certainly have more novelty appeal. This is more a gut thing from just seeing the landscape of movies and going with my feeling. Usually works every year. I would be very very surprised if Spotlight won BP.

To me it isnt like those movies, they certainly have more novelty appeal. This is more a gut thing from just seeing the landscape of movies and going with my feeling. Usually works every year. I would be very very surprised if Spotlight won BP.

I think Revenant more than likely wins Best Picture. Mad Max could spoil but the genre just doesn't allow for it. Best Director will have to be enough for it.

Not

Banned
Bummed TFA didn't get a best picture nod. I really liked it. But I mean, it did have a black lead rebelling against and overcoming a white villain, so

That most likely isn't the reason (at least in this case)

amaretto

Why? It's critically acclaimed, very nice and tight procedural and after some lackluster performance in the guilds it snagged pretty much every nomination it could get. Not to mention its slew of BP wins from critics groups.

Don't know why you're doubting The Big Short either which has been exceeding expectations left and right and showing up everywhere.

Both of the films are ahead of Room in BP with the only possible heat coming from Mad Max or The Revenant.

No, you're right. The Academy disqualified the score because they couldn't separate Sakamoto's contributions from his two collaborators. Because you remember, they nominate sole composers, not scores. Which is pretty silly, but there ya go.

Ah I see. I agree its silly, I figured they were looking at how the score complimented its film and also how it stood on its own, but it makes sense they check for "originality". I wonder why Fury Road wasn't in the top then, as the score enhances the movie so much and was pretty different soundscape.

co1onel

Best Foreign Language Film

Embrace of the Serpent - Colombia; Directed by Ciro Guerra
Mustang - France; Directed by Deniz Gamze Ergüven
Son of Saul - Hungary; Directed by László Nemes
Theeb - Jordan; Directed by Naji Abu Nowar
A War - Denmark; Directed by Tobias Lindholm

I didn't expect to see Mustang here. I actually quite enjoyed the film. Hopefully more people get to see it, but it's only showing in like 9 cities around the US.

I would be so happy if Marnie took best animated feature, but of course it won't.

If Princess Kaguya can't beat Big Hero 6, then Marnie doesn't stand a chance. While I preferred Marnie, Inside Out was great, so I can't even be mad this year.

Jonm1010

Banned
I think Revenant more than likely wins Best Picture. Mad Max could spoil but the genre just doesn't allow for it. Best Director will have to be enough for it.

I do wonder if Mad Max does somehow pull off the upset of the decade and against all the experts better judgement, wins Best Picture and Best Director, if the usual Best Picture backlash will temporarily tarnish it like it did for Braveheart, Gladiator, No Country for Old Men and a few other genuinely great films that saw a fairly sustained backlash due to tarnishing its street cred by winning the Best Picture Oscar.

WillyFive

Glad Williams got his nod for TFA's amazing score; but Giacchinno did three masterpeices this year with Inside Out, Tomorrowland, and Jurassic World, and got no noms for any of them.

iamblades

It's just odd salt too. Like the film is too much of a crowd pleaser and corny and then someone brings up Interstellar.

Not enough dread and ridiculous script elements that blend new age mumbo jumbo with abuses of actual science to shackle onto a bunch of contrived character relations I guess.

^^

The Martian was like a 10x better movie than Interstellar. Interstellar was basically a middling 2001 copy with a bunch of newage sentimentality thrown on top. It was beautifully shot and had some decent moments, but it just doesn't hold together as a cohesive work IMO.

I still wouldn't give it best picture though, Sicario is my favorite movie of the year so far, but I haven't seen a bunch of the other noms (planning on getting around to the revenant this weekend).

It's odd that the two movies I liked most this year were the most optimistic and the most hopeless, but they felt honest and consistent at least.

As for other nominations, I think the actor who plays Easy E should have gotten a nomination, but that's the only major snub. I knew the JLaw backlash brigade would be hating on her getting a nom, but she deserved it IMO, her perfomance is basically the only thing that makes that film watchable. She probably shouldn't win, but then again I haven't seen Carol or Room yet.

Nothing else seems hugely shocking in the list of nominations though.

BowieZ

Banned
Star Wars: TFA does not deserve to be nominated for best original score. Switch that out with The Revenant. I know its only up cause the movie made money and it would be his 50th nomination but come on.

Edit: hell even Fury Road's score is better then TFA.
Nah. Completely disagree. It got nominated cos it's actually good, regardless of the success of the film or composer.

Also, all three prequels were shut out of the Original Score category, and they also made lots of money.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Spotlight was a hell of a lot more novel to me than those. Seeing a movie downplay its dramaticness for something more approaching a documentary procedural was pretty interesting. And its an amazing ensemble picture.

Oersted

Fun fact:

Inside Out costed as 3 times as much as the rest of the nominated animated movies combined.

Chi-Raq is like the most "never gonna get nommed" movie I can think of. Black, female focused picture about gang violence? Academy couldnt even nominated Do the Right Thing.

Daisy got it lol

mantidor

Best Foreign Language Film

Embrace of the Serpent - Colombia; Directed by Ciro Guerra
Mustang - France; Directed by Deniz Gamze Ergüven
Son of Saul - Hungary; Directed by László Nemes
Theeb - Jordan; Directed by Naji Abu Nowar
A War - Denmark; Directed by Tobias Lindholm

This was huge news in Colombia, since it is the first time ever a movie from the country has been nominated at all for an oscar. It has practically no chance from what I've read, but this will at least give the movie more exposure.

Nafai1123

Banned
Why? It's critically acclaimed, very nice and tight procedural and after some lackluster performance in the guilds it snagged pretty much every nomination it could get. Not to mention its slew of BP wins from critics groups.

Don't know why you're doubting The Big Short either which has been exceeding expectations left and right and showing up everywhere.

Both of the films are ahead of Room in BP with the only possible heat coming from Mad Max or The Revenant.

I agree, though I liked Room more than The Big Short or The Revenant. I'd say the films with the lowest chances of winning are Room, Bridge of Spies and Brooklyn, followed by The Martian. The Revenant doesn't really adhere to the "feel good/not to ballsy" stereotype that wins BP, and neither does Fury Road. I'd say it's pretty likely The Big Short or Spotlight could win.

rekameohs

Banned
I really, really liked TFA, but I don't think it should win any of its categories. Morricone should win best score and Fury Road should win allllll the technicals.

Vibranium

Banned
TFA's score is a massive disappointment. Other than Rey's theme, everything is forgettable.

Its one thing you can say Phantom Menace did better, the music. (And the only thing really)

Yeah, I was really mad that Williams didn't have anything truly "epic" in the score during the lightsaber duel. Something like PM or RotS.

I wonder if he'll improve on that front for the sequel or if we'll get more of the same due to his age. It needs more energy.

ironmang

Don't really care much about awards usually but really wanting Tom Hardy to win. Every second he was on screen was gold.

Are you fucking kidding me with all those Star Wars nominations? "Best editing"? What?

Surprised people aren't pissed about it not being up for best picture the way everybody was gushing over it.

BowieZ

Banned
Yeah, I was really mad that Williams didn't have anything truly "epic" in the score during the lightsaber duel. Something like PM or RotS.

I wonder if he'll improve on that front for the sequel or if we'll get more of the same due to his age. It needs more energy.
How would that have been appropriate though? He chose a more subdued tentative approach to reflect the pair of fledgling twenty-year-olds battling hesitantly on a crumbling snow planet. It's not quite the same atmosphere as Obi-Wan and Anakin finally duelling after a life together on an erupting volcanic planet.

It has nothing to do with his age: he is lucid as ever, although his style has obviously changed somewhat since 1999 (and 1983 before it) but he definitely has more Duel of the Fateses within him, I guarantee it.

I also really happen to love the music he did write for the sequence: "The Ways of the Force," which has several brilliantly intertwined renditions of the leitmotif of Kylo Ren and Rey and the force theme.

fhqwhgads

I would be so happy if Marnie took best animated feature, but of course it won't.

How long until next nominations?
Still surprised the award hasn't been renamed "Give it to Disney/Pixar award" I mean this year it's not so bad because Inside Out is an amazing film, but still the bias is real.
At least the nominations for best animated are great this year. No garbage choices like Home or Minions.

Rupe

Neo Member
Still surprised the award hasn't been renamed "Give it to Disney/Pixar award" I mean this year it's not so bad because Inside Out is an amazing film, but still the bias is real.
At least the nominations for best animated are great this year. No garbage choices like Home or Minions.

I'm just happy Marnie is being recognized, was not sure they'd go for it. But if anything other than inside out won people would be mad. Inside out is great though so I won't be mad.

Ridley327

The Martian over The Danish Girl? Lulz

As far I've read into it, The Martian was considerably better received critically than The Danish Girl. It sounds like The Danish Girl got nominated for the categories it deserved to be nominated for, too, since the only real praise was for the acting.

I really liked The Martian. Not sure Best Picture nominee liked, but it was a very good film.

Not sure I get these criticisms either. What was corny exactly? Or bland? And why is "feel good" automatically assumed to be bad?

These criticisms seem more to be personal preference then genuine reasons the film doesn't deserve any accolades. It is certainly an optimistic film, not sure that makes it bad in any way.

I'm not saying it's a terrible movie, it's just average okay movie. For instance, I was glad there was no forced romance or "love interest" for the lead, yet this doesn't make it Best Picture worthy, as you stated yourself.

I personally did not like Interstellar, but I won't be salty about it being nominated for BP Oscar, as much as it was disappointing and flawed in many ways, I can't deny that it was no "average" flick, the script might be all over the place but Nolan shot the hell out of it, the movie looked great, had a decent score and while it had the "wormhole pen-and-paper" explanation, it didn't have lines like "I'm gonna science the shit out of this". And this is what I meant by corny, the characters were bleh, the lead specifically felt like a 12 year old and you pretty much know how the story unfolds from the get-go, it didn't even look great, it looked "okay". The movie knows it's nothing special and has no business being an award contender, which is why its studio was shopping for the comedy slot this award season.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom