• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2016 |OT| 5:30am PT Thur Jan 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

Alicia Vikander, Oscar Isaac, Sam Jackson, The Hateful 8 and Ex Machina got 'Bloodborned' hard, jesus Christ.

At least Leo should finally get his.

The academy Better not give the make-up and costume award to movies making actors look old again. Fuck the realism, go for some creativity this time.

Oh and give the best animated movie award to someone else besides Pixar, there are other contenders to consider.

Cerberus

The academy Better not give the make-up and costume award to movies making actors look old again. Fuck the realism, go for some creativity this time.

"The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared"

How can it not win with a title like that? :lol

It's between Mad Max and The Revenant though.

The Force Awakens score nom is a joke considering it easily has the weakest music of the entire saga.
So? A lesser Williams score is still a much better work than many of the scores currently out there. People should take this "TFA's score is bad" meme out of the ass and move along.

Surfinn

The Force Awakens score nom is a joke considering it easily has the weakest music of the entire saga. I hope Deakins gets it for the cinematography but I can't be that mad considering it'll probably go to The Revenant. Overall I'm disappointed by how few nominations Sicario got. It'd be great if Johansson won though.

Listen to it. It grows on you.. I think it's excellent.

Preference for her role in Ex Machina, perhaps? I dunno.

Lol there was no way on earth she was going to get a nom for that, good as it was

So? A lesser Williams score is still a much better work than many of the scores currently out there. People should take this "TFA's score is bad" meme out of the ass and move along.

It's not a great score when you stack it up against the other noms

George Miller and Mad Max ain't getting any awards. I will personally shine all y'all shoes if it happens.

You're not playing the odds, friend.

injurai

Banned
I genuinely believe Miller is getting Best Director now.
Scott's snub was the last necessary domino to fall in order to allow it to happen.

Cinematography - The Revenant
Best Picture - The Revenant
Best Director - George Miller
Best Actor - Leo

I could see it.

UberTag

Cinematography - The Revenant
Best Actor - Leo

I could see it.
The only one of those I'm not sold on is Picture. But I am kind of leaning that way... depends on how much Spotlight and Big Short cannibalize each other over the next 6 weeks or so.

The only one of those I'm not sold on is Picture. But I am kind of leaning that way... depends on how much Spotlight and Big Short cannibalize each other over the next 6 weeks or so.

The Big Short isn't going to win. It's too divisive among critics. People either love the 4th-wall breaking goofy style, or they hate it.

Azalean

Banned
I'm surprised Will Smith didn't garner a Best Actor nod.

Happy to see Straight Outta Compton get some love.

Also happy Mad Max got as many nods as it did.

injurai

Banned

I need to still see Spotlight, but I'm not big on Carol. The Revenant is certainly deserving, whether it's the best of it's year is another question. I personally think The Big Short deserves it. It accomplishes so much, in such a great way. I think it's the only film this year to really transcend itself. Not in some high art manner, in the way it's capable of being so much more than just a Hollywood film. it's educational, it exists for posterity. It's entertaining. You both love the film, and feel terrible disgusted by what you just saw. Happy that responsible traders got one over, but infuriated that such corruption exists. For that I think a strong case can be made for it being the best picture.

I'd prefer

Best Picture - The Big Short
Best Director - The Revenant

over

and I think The Revenant is at least deserving of one of those. It's so hard because Mad Max really is an Oscar-bait Killer coming out of the big action genre. It's like we need one more category or something.

Maengun1

I really disliked The Revenant, sorry. It looked nice but was totally hollow. I didn't even care for Leo in it to be honest, but this is a weak field of Actor nominees so he'll "finally" win, which is fine. He should have won for Wolf Of Wall Street IMO so whatever.

Really pulling for Miller in director. Mad Max isn't winning Best Picture but I think Miller has a nearly 50% shot to take director over whatever movie wins BP.

Happy for Jennifer Jason Leigh; sad for no Goggins.

Inside Out should really be in BP too IMO, and I was secretly hoping for either Amy Poehler or Phyllis Smith to get an acting nod because I think they deserved it (I knew there was a 0.000000% chance of that happenig).

I haven't seen most of the other nominated movies yet so that's all the comment I have thus far.

amaretto

Yay at Charlotte Rampling getting in but utter disgust at Carol missing BP & Haynes missing BD. The straight old white guys won again.

I love Leo in a lot of things, but I am boggled at the Wolf of Wall Street love. The movie was one of Scorsese's worst, and Leo is just hamming it up all the time.

Leo should have won more than a decade ago, when he was doing much better work. Or maybe for Gatsby. Not the best movie, but he's great in it.

injurai

Banned
I love Leo in a lot of things, but I am boggled at the Wolf of Wall Street love. The movie was one of Scorsese's worst, and Leo is just hamming it up all the time.

Leo should have won more than a decade ago, when he was doing much better work. Or maybe for Gatsby. Not the best movie, but he's great in it.

He should have won for The Aviator full stop. Then he had some weaker roles, still good, but the movies didn't allow him much range. I think he was still figuring out his acting career once he passed through the young heartthrob stage.

But his constant slicked back hair casting become very much a type cast. Because people just casted him as they saw him in his daily look. That's just how Leo dresses. But yeah, I truly think his work on The Revenant was fantastic, and I think some people really downplay the role because of the terse script. Which is a shame to be honest.

gamz

That's kinda the point of the character.

farisr

I honestly didn't even know it was a meme. Also, isn't there a reason it's a meme, that a lot of people agree on that sentiment?

I love the movie but recall thinking (about the score) "trying a bit too hard to invoke nostalgia" and "does not fit" in a few places, and it in general was not memorable.

Looking at the nomination list, I haven't seen any of the other movies nominated yet, but Star Wars making it and Mad Max not being there is pretty bad.

UberTag

I need to still see Spotlight, but I'm not big on Carol. The Revenant is certainly deserving, whether it's the best of it's year is another question. I personally think The Big Short deserves it. It accomplishes so much, in such a great way. I think it's the only film this year to really transcend itself. Not in some high art manner, in the way it's capable of being so much more than just a Hollywood film. it's educational, it exists for posterity. It's entertaining. You both love the film, and feel terrible disgusted by what you just saw. Happy that responsible traders got one over, but infuriated that such corruption exists. For that I think a strong case can be made for it being the best picture.

I'd prefer

Best Picture - The Big Short
Best Director - The Revenant

over

and I think The Revenant is at least deserving of one of those. It's so hard because Mad Max really is an Oscar-bait Killer coming out of the big action genre. It's like we need one more category or something.
Can't we just let Revenant have cinematography, Leo and maybe a technical award or two and call it a day? :(

injurai

Banned
Can't we just let Revenant have cinematography, Leo and maybe a technical award or two and call it a day? :(

We? Speak for yourself. "We" get it, some people don't want The Revenant to win much of anything. Yeah, it's not the only good film, there are a lot of deserving films out there. At some point it's better to have been nominated, rather than win.

I haven't seen a lot of movies this year, but I did see the Martian, and that movie is good but it doesn't come close to sniffing Best Picture.

"The Martian" got a best picture nomination? I loved it as much as the next person but....c'mon.

Exactly, except I didn't really like it, it's corny and bland and definitely not award-worthy. But like someone already pointed out, it apparently is a "crowd pleaser" with its corniness and "feel good" story. It's the worst space movie that Ridley has directed, come at me Gaf..Hate on Prometheus as much as you want, but at least it was an interesting bad script, had some really amazing scenes with amazing cinematography and a decent score and Fassbender.

Edit:

You must be joking. What did he actually act in this movie? He was just being super cool and quite. I don't see what is so difficult about that in the sense of actual acting.
+1
I don't get all the nominations Rylance is getting nor people praising his role, average performance in a TV movie that looks expensive.

Hyun Sai

Exactly, except I didn't really like it, it's corny and bland and definitely not award-worthy. But like someone already pointed out, it apparently is a "crowd pleaser" with its corniness and "feel good" story. It's the worst space movie that Ridley has directed, come at me Gaf..Hate on Prometheus as much as you want, but at least it was an interesting bad script, had some really amazing scenes with amazing cinematography and a decent score and Fassbender.

I'm with you on this. As much as I disliked Prometheus, it had its moments. The Martian must be the blandest movie I saw for years...

Mistle

Agreed. The Martian fell flat for me. I didn't mind, it was cool that other people liked it, and it wasn't flat out terrible. But a best pic nom? What? No way. Felt super safe and didn't really stand out in any interesting ways.

To throw my own 2c in, I feel Interstellar was waaaay more worthy of recognition.

Jonm1010

Banned
I really liked The Martian. Not sure Best Picture nominee liked, but it was a very good film.

Not sure I get these criticisms either. What was corny exactly? Or bland? And why is "feel good" automatically assumed to be bad?

These criticisms seem more to be personal preference then genuine reasons the film doesn't deserve any accolades. It is certainly an optimistic film, not sure that makes it bad in any way.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I didnt know I would care but I'm so happy that The Martian made it on. Who knew an up beat pro science movie would inspire such salt?

Also biggest snub is Junkie XL for the Mad Max score. The greatest score. That shit threw me back in my seat.

Star Wars: TFA does not deserve to be nominated for best original score. Switch that out with The Revenant. I know its only up cause the movie made money and it would be his 50th nomination but come on.

Edit: hell even Fury Road's score is better then TFA.

hamchan

I really liked The Martian. Not sure Best Picture nominee liked, but it was a very good film.

Not sure I get these criticisms either. What was corny exactly? Or bland? And why is "feel good" automatically assumed to be bad?

These criticisms seem more to be personal preference then genuine reasons the film doesn't deserve any accolades. It is certainly an optimistic film, not sure that makes it bad in any way.

I agree. I actually loved that it was just about humanity showing their good side and trying to help someone in a bad situation. The only villain in that movie was Mars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom