• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| topics will now go live on game launch date

Axass

Still in the "great change" camp, though as others have said, maybe 24 hours before launch is a better approach.

I think this change will lead to a massive increase in hype threads before a game's release. Let's see how it works out.

And considering that almost everyone in the world is able to get games a day early, the 24h before launch day approach sounds more useful :)

DC1

The hype rage is one of the most endearing aspects about this forum.

While I don't mind pulling back the OT release, let's always provide/maintain a safe haven for the bubble gut enthusiasts.

Datschge

Great change.

How about similarly defined threads to go along with it? Like |HT| the official hype thread (gets closed when the |OT| opens), |ST| the official spoiler thread (opens along the |OT|, prominently linked there), |LT| the official leaks thread (for everything leaked before release, gets closed when the |OT| opens) etc.

Edit: If there won't be |HT|s I'd like to suggest a more consequential application of "new threads for new news", the closing post of closed old news threads should (ideally always) contain the link to the newer news thread that replaced them. This would allow readers to go along with the news without getting lost in a lot of concurrent threads, and without an overly huge "hub thread".

Ricker

The hype rage is one of the most endearing aspects about this forum.

While I don't mind pulling back the OT release, let's always provide/maintain a safe haven for the bubble gut enthusiasts.

And people who get the game early,its fun to read the impressions the weekend before release...so now theres going to be 2 threads...I guess the mods can lock the early impression thread once the OT for the game goes Live...?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sample: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17

Whats the difference of thread like this from |OT| released a week early ?

sure, but its been going on since like mid 2013 way before the 3DS version's release date even announced.

I would take that you didn't really follow Smash news. There is reason why Smash threads happened because we are getting daily updates from Sakurai, whom posted new information on Miiverse and Smashbros.com. Now Smash 3DS is already out but we almost know nothing about Wii U version (Exclusive modes, etc)

Well, we are still getting new information based on Wii U version daily so that's what POTD thread for. Sometime, new informations that we are getting are not even big deal to warrant a new thread.

Smash had up to 15 or 16 discussion threads... The official OT went up a week in advance of release I believe.

He's right. We had 17 Smash threads for Picture of the Day (POTD) so most of times, we actually got new information from Sakurai's post of the day that are not relevant enough to warrant new threads.

From top of my head, I think POTD thread is going to be locked on Dec 6 after the games getting release in all region.

Sounds good. Though I will miss everyone discussing live streams the weekend before a game launches. The GTA V OT with everyone frantically searching for streams before Rockstar's ninjas could take them out was pretty fun.
IIRC, We also had a seperate thread for those streams.

I also repeat my other question.
What about off topic OT's?

Son Of D

So guys, this is kinda off topic (but not really). How are we gonna handle Bayonetta?

I think there are a lot of people, like me, who want to play the Digital Foundry anointed definitive edition original on Wii U before jumping into the sequel. So will we have to bump the old Bayo 1 thread or can we have a new one for the Wii U release? I'm just curious.

Also, as someone first suggested on the first page, I do like the idea of day before release. I think it'll work great to get the hype started just before release. I suspect people will be busy playing day of release and the thread will be pretty barebones of actual discussion until much later, once everyone's put the game down to come up for air. I could be wrong though. I'm fine either way.

I'm making an OT for the Wii U port of Bayonetta whereas Nemesis_ is making the OT for Bayonetta 2.

lewisgone

Great change.

How about similarly defined threads to go along with it? Like |HT| the official hype thread (gets closed when the |OT| opens), |ST| the official spoiler thread (opens along the |OT|, prominently linked there), |LT| the official leaks thread (for everything leaked before release, gets closed when the |OT| opens) etc.

Edit: If there won't be |HT|s I'd like to suggest a more consequential application of "new threads for new news", the closing post of closed old news threads should (ideally always) contain the link to the newer news thread that replaced them. This would allow readers to go along with the news without getting lost in a lot of concurrent threads, and without an overly huge "hub thread".

But if you have hype threads the regulars there will just move over to the OT the second it's made and the same enclosed, hype-centric club attitude will have been fostered for the OT. If a place isn't around in prior days to work everyone up for the OT, it might help the OT contain more actual discussion, and differing viewpoints.

I am fine with this. There are enough tangentially linked threads for new releases these days for the OT format to weather this change.

Like others have said though, maybe a day before would be a better change. Midnight releases and such.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Typical antiOT-gaf at it again with the same OT fanboys coming out of the wood work... smh!

/s

On a serious note this makes perfect sense.

Datschge

But if you have hype threads the regulars there will just move over to the OT the second it's made and the same enclosed, hype-centric club attitude will have been fostered for the OT. If a place isn't around in prior days to work everyone up for the OT, it might help the OT contain more actual discussion, and differing viewpoints.
You will always have more and less vocal participants. I honestly don't think the vocal ones will go away without a central hype thread, they likely just turn all the news threads into hype ones. And those who try to follow news and avoid the hype then possibly are worse off than now where threads with significant news exist but hype concentrates in some hub threads.

TommyT

I wonder if it would be possible to somehow (and someplace - Community?) sticky the locked OT so that people can still get information about the game/release before the release date, yet still have it go live on Gaming on the actual day of release.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'm positive to this change, as long as it isn't too heavily inforced. For certain games, MMOs in particular, it can be beneficial to have a thread up maybe an hour or two before the servers can be accessed for new content.

I'll be making the OT for World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor. That game launches on November 13, and I believe the new content will be accessible at midnight (local time). To have the thread up an hour or two before that would be good.

pwack

I wonder if it would be possible to somehow (and someplace - Community?) sticky the locked OT so that people can still get information about the game/release before the release date, yet still have it go live on Gaming on the actual day of release.

I think this is a great idea. I'd vote: stickied OT's can be posted a week in advance, but are locked. Become unlocked 24 hours pre release

LoveCake

Good idea, some of the OT threads can get bloated in the week/s before the games launch.

Can i jut ask, what is the release date going to be, the first release if this is in Japan for example & the UK/EU is a few weeks later for example.

Also & more importantly, can all the OT threads be in 60fps & not 30fps please.

ethomaz

Banned
In my opinion a bad decision.

I don't really understand the issue too but maybe it is just me.

PS. I'm still adapting to the Destiny OT move to a section that I don't follow.

Wolfe

I guess I'll be the outsider who doesn't like the idea.

I want to talk about a game leading up to its release. Discuss trailers, go over early impressions, discuss Twitch streams, find unboxings on YouTube, talk about achievements, stores selling early, pre order bonuses, etc, etc....

I guess... What's the "harm" in having it up for a few days before release? The conversation is already going? Eh, I've never complained, even when jumping into an OT two weeks after release.

You did read the posts before your right? Seems pretty split between people that like and dislike the idea, nothing "outsider" about your opinion on it lol.

I don't have much of an opinion on it myself as I don't frequent OT threads much but it does seem like a logical decision given the circumstances.

CREMSteve

I scratch my head why rules like this are even necessary on a discussion board.

Let people talk about whatever they want to talk about, whenever they want to talk about it. If a discussion catches steam and becomes the "unofficial" OT, then so be it.

I guess count me in the dislike crowd. /shrug

My only real concern with this change is that I rely on GAF for all of my gaming info. There literally isn't any other gaming related site I venture into unless it was linked here. GAF has also sold me on a few gems that I would of otherwise missed and the OT is typically where this happens. Quite often before release.

Personally I'll probably just skip launch day for any game that I'm on the fence about for a few days since there appears to be no plan for a way to consolidate info and discussion pre release. GAF has genuinely been an important deciding factor for me for some time albeit as a lurker.

I get the idea behind it but I feel we will be losing a lot of really helpful info and discussion pre release along the way.

I understand but I think the day of is too last minute, I think the day before would be best.
Agreed. I also think this would hurt several indie titles. I hear about most only here on NeoGAF, and it's usually through OTs. I think the launch day rule is only effective for AAA titles, but even that can work against a gaffer who wants up-to-minute updates and info.

Interfectum

This is a completely unnecessary change. Pre-release OTs are a great source of information, a fun way to get in on the hype and usually contains some impressions from people who got it early. Now it's either going to be scattered through several threads and/or we will start making "hype" mega threads that pretty much mirror OTs anyway.

Nothing seemed broken with the current system. This feels like a change for the sake of change, IMO.

Peterthumpa

This is a completely unnecessary change. Pre-release OTs are a great source of information, a fun way to get in on the hype and usually contains some impressions from people who got it early. Now it's either going to be scattered through several threads and/or we will start making "hype" mega threads that pretty much mirror OTs anyway.

Nothing seemed broken with the current system. This feels like a change for the sake of change, IMO.
Not really. The whole point here, as already said, is to encourage people to discuss about the game they're currently playing, not about the game they're planning to purchase or that they're hyping to uncontrolled levels.

And although I do agree that there wasn't anything wrong in the old approach per se, it doesn't mean that the new one couldn't be even better. It just makes more sense.

Interfectum

Not really. The whole point here, as already said, is to encourage people to discuss about the game they're currently playing, not about the game they're planning to purchase or that they're hyping to uncontrolled levels.

And although I do agree that there wasn't anything wrong in the old approach per se, it doesn't mean that the new one couldn't be even better. It just makes more sense.

The explaination of...

"making it difficult for people jumping in on release day to find what they're looking for or to follow the already-rapid pace of conversation"

...isn't an issue because the conversation naturally changes as the game comes out so people can freely and easily jump in at any time to post their impressions.

Now it'll be confusing and forced. Gamers who get the game early won't have an OT to post in so their impressions will be scattered in several threads. Gamers who don't have the game when the OT comes out will still be posting their "plan to purchase" or hype.

thefro

Great change... very annoying when there's 20-30 pages to read through of people being hyped before you get to actual stuff on the game.

I'd say the only issue is you'll end up with a defacto "OT" thread most of the time where people will post before the OT goes up.

I would take that you didn't really follow Smash news. There is reason why Smash threads happened because we are getting daily updates from Sakurai, whom posted new information on Miiverse and Smashbros.com. Now Smash 3DS is already out but we almost know nothing about Wii U version (Exclusive modes, etc)

Well, we are still getting new information based on Wii U version daily so that's what POTD thread for. Sometime, new informations that we are getting are not even big deal to warrant a new thread.

He's right. We had 17 Smash threads for Picture of the Day (POTD) so most of times, we actually got new information from Sakurai's post of the day that are not relevant enough to warrant new threads.

From top of my head, I think POTD thread is going to be locked on Dec 6 after the games getting release in all region.

How is POTD different from hype thread that we're trying to avoid? You raised a good point that POTD exists because there is a new info daily but it's hard to believe that the discussions in those thread are all about only daily pictures. It meant, POTD 16th reached 20,000 comments in 3 days. Are you saying those 20,000 comments are all about 3 pictures?

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
for popular games, a week can produce a gigantic thread, making it difficult for people jumping in on release day to find what they're looking for or to follow the already-rapid pace of conversation.

pretty much why I stay away from OTs...

good call imo, though the speed at which a new |OT| created on release day will move concerns me. only time will tell.

Aeana

How is POTD different from hype thread that we're trying to avoid? You raised a good point that POTD exists because there is a new info daily but it's hard to believe that the discussions in those thread are all about only daily pictures. It meant, POTD 16th reached 20,000 comments in 3 days. Are you saying those 20,000 comments are all about 3 pictures?
They're absolutely chat room threads, which we're not particularly fond of. That said, the sheer volume of info coming out on a regular basis for Smash is always far beyond what happens for other games, so that's why we allowed those threads to continue. It's a special case and shouldn't be used as a barometer for anything else, at least in my opinion.

Peterthumpa

The explaination of...

...isn't an issue because the conversation naturally changes as the game comes out so people can freely and easily jump in at any time to post their impressions.

Now it'll be confusing and forced. Gamers who get the game early won't have an OT to post in so their impressions will be scattered in several threads. Gamers who don't have the game when the OT comes out will still be posting their "plan to purchase" or hype.
That's the absolute minority on a thread like this, if I recall correctly by past OTs.

Also, yes, they will still post their purchase plans and etc, but on a less convoluted thread.

Radec

Looks like we'll see "Thread 50" in the Gaming Section before the game even launches on the WiIU" while other games that sometimes gets new "not thread-worthy" news will just have to be saved up until "Day 1 OT" has been made.

QaaQer

It might be kinda messy but the only thing that comes to mind is still have the OT made and up a week(or less) ahead of time, stickied but locked, and unlocked/unstickied at the release time so people can get the information part.

It'd also be a quick way to know what's coming.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Oh I didn't deny that there are some hype posts in the threads. There is a reason why POTD16 got so much posts in few days because I was late with my OT for Japanese release date. Basically people were talking about Japanese demo, Smash 3DS being out early, and people were discussing about new informations that they have seen from Japanese streams. Once I got OT up, then most of people didn't move until POTD16 finally got locked.

That's why POTD17 have unusual title in the thread so it would enforce people to discuss 3DS in 3DS OT.

To be honest, I'm guilty for few hype posts If I did but I can't recalled if I did. But I admitted that sometime hype in POTD thread can be very annoying. For example, when Sakurai is very late with update (like few hours late) people would get TOO hype and overhyped the updates. I had to scroll like 10 pages to see actual discussions.

That's why I'm happy with the pace in POTD17 because there are no hypes and it's in their own slow pace.

Edited: I'm not trying to make an excuse for POTD threads but I'm trying to explain why POTD threads didn't get locked or stay around for long time because of daily updates.

Sorian

Banned
I'd like to place my vote in with the 24-48 hours prior camp. Speaking for myself, I know that a lot of game releases can sneak up on me and there have been a lot of OTs that have appeared and gotten me to pre-purchase the game either through jogging my memory on it or by getting all of the info that I may have missed being in once place. With the industry the way it is these days, it's worth knowing about what games you want before the release date since pre-order bonuses can sometimes be pretty good and it would be a shame for someone to miss out when they are still getting in on the game on launch day.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I guess I'll be the outsider who doesn't like the idea.

I want to talk about a game leading up to its release. Discuss trailers, go over early impressions, discuss Twitch streams, find unboxings on YouTube, talk about achievements, stores selling early, pre order bonuses, etc, etc....

I guess... What's the "harm" in having it up for a few days before release? The conversation is already going? Eh, I've never complained, even when jumping into an OT two weeks after release.

Plus you'll have people getting the game before the official launch date - are they supposed to not post anything beforehand, or just start a random impressions thread which then ends up snowballing into an unofficial OT before the OT is ready?

I also like seeing OTs of games I'm not hugely familiar with as they can get me more interested I buying. I suppose waiting for launch won't kill bpne there though, and I'll have the advantage of real imoressions rather than prerelease hype.

Mostly I assume these will be based on US release dates, so would they go live from midnight EST on the Tuesday? For global launches I hope you will be sensitive to those timezones like Australia that will get access to the game almost a day ahead of PST - in that case if the OT is being made in the US it should go live 24hrs before global launch

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can we kill review threads too? If reviews are available before launch, the information can go in the OP and be discussed there. Otherwise they will surely become surrogate OTs

Sorian

Banned
Can we kill review threads too? If reviews are available before launch, the information can go in the OP and be discussed there. Otherwise they will surely become surrogate OTs

But this is a new issue. A lot of us try to be informed buyers and like to discuss with all the info in one place. These days we are lucky to get a game that reviews before it's release date and waiting until the OP goes up on release day would just be a step backwards.

Radec

You want 5 pages of "LOL GIES" or why X Reviewer is wrong instead of just discussing the game in the OT?

Top Bottom