• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otaku USA: As “Geek” Culture Assimilates, “Otaku” Remain Outcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dity

Responding to and pointing out absurdity = being offended.

Learning this actually makes a whole lot of Internet communication far clearer now. I shall read every back and forth as people being offended about everything.
You really don't think that even considering what was said to be "absurd" doesn't involve being offended just a little bit. Just a smidge?

Because only liking a bit of something isn't exactly absurd. A real overreaction honestly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You really don't think that even considering what was said to be "absurd" doesn't involve being offended just a little bit. Just a smidge?

Because only liking a bit of something isn't exactly absurd. A real overreaction honestly.

No, because usually if I find something absurd it's because I find it funny to some degree.

Also you're mixing the two parts of the original post up. No one thought his liking of Cowboy Bebop as absurd, but his statement 'The rest [of animational output from Japan] is ehhh". Such a ridiculous blanket statement that even someone who had not even seen a millisecond of anime would call it absurd.

But I suppose anything outside of a reply like "I read your post" that conveyed the slightest hint of an emotion would be seen as an overreaction.

dity

No, because usually if I find something absurd it's because I find it funny to some degree.

Also you're mixing the two parts of the original post up. No one thought his liking of Cowboy Bebop as absurd, but his statement 'The rest [of animational output from Japan] is ehhh". Such a ridiculous blanket statement that even someone who had not even seen a millisecond of anime would call it absurd.

But I suppose anything outside of a reply like "I read your post" that conveyed the slightest hint of an emotion would be seen as an overreaction.

They did go on to explain that the rest of the anime they'd seen they thought was "ehhh". It's like - I dunno why it was even taken as some big thing that needed any correct at all. I honestly don't think it should have been taken as any more than "I like these ones and haven't liked others" and not some big statement on the medium as a whole.

And no, you're wrong. People could have just asked why their reaction to other anime was "ehh" but everyone decided to be "OMG WTF" to it instead. :/

spiritfox

Dity, you're making a mountain out if a molehill. There was an initial jab, which was retorted at, which then moved on to actual, civil discussion where both sides were amicable. Only you're left chasing this when even Not has made his point and rest of the thread has made theirs. There are issues with welcoming people within the anime community, but this is not an instance to press on about.

dity

Dity, you're making a mountain out if a molehill. There was an initial jab, which was retorted at, which then moved on to actual, civil discussion where both sides were amicable. Only you're left chasing this when even Not has made his point and rest of the thread has made theirs. There are issues with welcoming people within the anime community, but this is not an instance to press on about.
But this isn't about defending Not anymore, the situation is merely an example. I've tried to make that really really really clear, because when I brought up the issue in the thread earlier there wasn't an example I could use.

I'll have my final say on the matter and spell it out as clearly as possible:

1. Someone voices their disdain about an aspect of anime, or otherwise shows no further interest.

2. Instead of addressing that disdain or disinterest, interest is tried to be forced down the person's mouth via recommendations. The people responding don't much care about what the person likes, they just seemingly want to have that person admit it's good. Of course people will recommend things they like, but when people pile on to do that without the original person asking for it it looks bad - especially if what you like is what they have no interest in lol. It doesn't help when others then shit on what's recommended. Only 1-2 people here actually recommended something based upon pre-existing interests instead of just going "no anime is good, watch this."

People in this thread can dress it up as "just recommendations" or "pointing out absurdity" but I don't find that believable considering the passive aggresive mocking that comes hand in hand with responses. Plus saying it's "absurd" to me is what's really absurd because someone doesn't need to like something at all, it doesn't need to be "called out." And honestly if you do pay attention someone's disinterest in something that much and feel the need to call it out and correct it, maybe you need something better to do. It's at the point where you have to realise that really it's just a hobby. Anime Evangelists (is that a name that makes more sense than "desperate recommenders"?) need to calm down.

Anyway, I'll stop posting on this topic about Not's post now. I'll respond here again if something else starts going down.

Russ T

Banned
Instead of addressing that disdain or disinterest, interest is tried to be forced down the person's mouth via recommendations.

You act like these are mutually exclusive acts.

It's entirely possible to address someone's disdain or disinterest by suggesting something that they might actually be interested in based on the things they said they like (and this is exactly what happened). Some of the suggestions might be misguided, because they don't know why the person likes or dislikes certain things, but with a sample set of four distinct things, it's not impossible to derive some sort of pattern and therefore suggest more things.

This is a pretty natural flow of discourse both on the internet and off, and I'm not sure why it annoys you specifically when it's about anime, but you seem to be the only one driven to the point where you want to complain about it for pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom