• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our “Triggered” Reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I love the reactions on GAF. All the other emojis are pretty obvious but “triggered” confuses me.

I know what “being triggered” MEANS, but when the Emoji is used, does it mean THE OP is triggered according to the person who votes, or that the PERSON reading the post and WHO IS VOTING is triggered?

Anyone else confused by this?

Orion2

Banned
the one who's comment gets the reaction is triggered in the comment that got him that reaction by the OP or somebody he replies to or by whatever is implied that triggered him, obviously

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I apply it when I think the person whose post I apply it to is triggered or is just generally butt-hurt over something. I never use the emote to illustrate that I myself am triggered.

If I wanna show that I am triggered I will just do it the old fashioned way and start out throwing childish insults and strawman arguments.

Susurrus

I apply it when I think the person whose post I apply it to is triggered or is just generally butt-hurt over something. I never use the emote to illustrate that I myself am triggered.

If I wanna show that I am triggered I will just do it the old fashioned way and start out throwing childish insults and strawman arguments.
You're doing it wrong, and I can tell because whenever it rains, everything gets wet! Can you believe that crap? Thus, you are wrong.

Its just blushing to me…

so sometimes its blushing because the user is shocked/disgusted by what they read and sometimes the user is embarrassed

etc etc.

Personally im inbetween if the forum should keep it or replace it, i do like emojis that i can use multiple ways though.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The laughing emoji can be interesting, some use that for actually being triggered.
583247.jpg

Soodanim

Gold Member
Triggered is actually pretty straight forward. The laugh emote is the one that's actually ambiguous. You can either use it to signify that you think it's a humorous comment or you're laughing AT the commentor for saying something stupid.
I’ve used laughing for both. People have been funny, and people have been laughably wrong/stupid/bad.

Praise the sun is an odd one, because it’s used in precisely two situations:
1. Any Souls related content
2. Whenever the fuck you want to use it

Sometimes I think we need a confused reaction, but that’s as close as we can get to negative without it being chaos. We can never have a negative reaction.

GeekyDad

I love the reactions on GAF. All the other emojis are pretty obvious but “triggered” confuses me.

I know what “being triggered” MEANS, but when the Emoji is used, does it mean THE OP is triggered according to the person who votes, or that the PERSON reading the post and WHO IS VOTING is triggered?

You say yourself it's a "reaction," so where it's coming from should be clear, no? Its use, though, and when to use it seems a bit vague to me.

Last edited:

thefool

This makes some sense but i use it when i feel triggered.

BigBooper

When I use it, it's because someone said something so dumb or something so gross that I don't know how else to respond. It's on the responder's behalf, not the original commentator.

It's all sarcastic, in jest.

Last edited:
I really wish our empathy react was a care react. Facebook fucking sucks, but the care react is one of the few great things they've done in the last 10 years. I love that little guy. He's so cute!

GymWolf

I think that the empathy emoji is more complicated to understand.

Sometimes i use it because i genuinely feel bad for someone, sometimes is ironic because i feel pity for someone stupidity.

All use of reactions are YOUR reactions (the person making the reaction), so I would say "triggered" means the post in question triggered you. I mostly only use it when someone posts something pretty disgusting or weird. It's probably my least used reaction.

I don't use laughter out of spite, either.

I think that the empathy emoji is more complicated to understand.

Sometimes i use it because i genuinely feel bad for someone, sometimes is ironic because i feel pity for someone stupidity.
The former is right. The latter is the misuse of an emoticon designed to prevent confusing by "hearting" someone's post about their dog who died today. You might consider not using it that way, so we don't have the same sort of confusion, where genuine empathy is taken for sarcasm.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I always feel guilty when using a laughing emoji sarcastically. It's rare I do and makes me want a eye roll emoji before I become aware of its implications.

The laughing emoji is just very easy to misuse I guess... it just looks sarcastic, doesn't it? Lol

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I always feel guilty when using a laughing emoji sarcastically. It's rare I do and makes me want a eye roll emoji before I become aware of its implications.

The laughing emoji is just very easy to misuse I guess... it just looks sarcastic, doesn't it? Lol
it's pretty obvious when someone is using laugh maliciously imo. maybe that's just me

Last edited:

GymWolf

The former is right. The latter is the misuse of an emoticon designed to prevent confusing by "hearting" someone's post about their dog who died today. You might consider not using it that way, so we don't have the same sort of confusion, where genuine empathy is taken for sarcasm.
I previously said that it was confusing, but i'm 99,99% sure then when i use the empathy for the second thing, the guy knows that :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Honestly didn’t realize until now that the emoji meant triggered.. now I feel stupid and sorry to everyone who has gotten that emoji from me.. :messenger_sad_relieved:

BlvckFox

Gold Member
This is a pretty good question. I use it when a post triggers me because I am more than happy to let OP know the crimes they’ve committed against my mental well being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom