• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our puppy passed away yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuur

It's been a rough week, GAF.

Last week we picked up an adorable Shelti/JackRussell at 8 weeks. Went out and bought the works -- bed, toys (one she picked out herself), leash/harness, dishes and a large supply of food. Puppy was relatively brave on the way home as we cuddled her in our jackets (its cold here). We got home and began to get her used to her new home. We have two cats who were okay with dogs based on our previous experience, and introduced them after the first few hours. The puppy was curious of course, one of the cats quickly taught her who was boss with some hissing and harmless batting while the other kept to herself, jumping out of reach when needed.

Over the next day we noticed something alarming; our shy cat was vomiting and not eating/drinking. With the introduction of a new pup we thought it was simply stress so we kept an eye on her and tried every trick in the book, shutting them off from eachother, wet food, dry food, treats, fresh chicken, new/no bowls. She was fine otherwise, not hiding and playing. This ended up continuing and research suggested that it was extremely dangerous for cats after a few days (due to fatty liver disease) so we took her to the hospital, where they elected to keep her overnight with IV treatment to do xrays and bloodwork. My partner and I were devastated during this time, she was still young (only 3yr) and we loved her to bits.

Each day I would receive a call from the vet; the first day explaining the initial results and that some more were due to come in, and she still wasn't eating. The second that results were pretty much all good news, but still not eating. On Friday, we finally got the call that we were waiting for: They had managed to restore her appetite with a combination of meds and syringe feeding, she was going to come home!

The following night and Saturday went extremely well. She was eating and drinking again, no problems with the pup. Although we had spent much time over the past week worrying about our cat, we made sure to not neglect the new one. She was doing well with house training, learning not to whine for attention and play with her toys instead of nipping or biting other things. She was energetic, playful and loved us something fierce. By the end of Saturday, me and my partner thought everything was going to finally be alright, us, our cats and the new one.

The next morning, we woke up late (around noon) and let all the animals outside to play. We played fetch with our puppy with a small ball we had picked up for her and was planning to take her for her first walk. A neighborhood outdoor cat who likes to come pick a fight with ours by staring through our window showed up, he seemed to be staying outside the fence due to the new addition. While we weren't looking, he hopped the fence and found our shy cat on our deck. She was hissing and due to her recent condition I didn't waste any time responding, and ran up the stairs to grab the outdoor cat.

At the top of the stairs I heard a massive yelp and my heart sank. I looked down, our puppy had run underneath me and got underfoot at the top. She walked a few steps before falling over. We immediately brought her inside, called our vet hospital and one of our relatives with a vehicle to pick us up, but it didn't matter. After a few minutes she had passed on. We bought her to the hospital regardless, and the same doctor who I had seen in days previous for our cat said she had passed on.

We're devastated. We waited years for the right time to get ourselves a puppy and had every intention of doing everything right; plans to socialize, exercise and train. To take her on our summer hiking trips. She was perfect. I feel incredible guilt despite knowing it was a complete accident, I can't stop thinking about 'what if I had reacted more slowly' or 'what if I had caught the cat before he went up to the deck', even though I know it doesn't matter. I read stories here and elsewhere about pets passing away from old age and illness, and I knew that would come eventually for one of mine, but this is far worse. We're trying our best to distract ourselves and keep our daily lives going as we can. I would love to take a day or two off but we simply can't afford with the combination of vet bills and the funds we spent for the pup and her things. Perhaps for the better, to keep us going.

In the end, we only knew her but a week, but waking up without her this morning still broke our hearts. Rest in peace, pup.

That's sad... Even if it's for a week, loosing a pet is always sad.
Lost my cats long time ago and it made me depressed a couple of week. But you'll get better eventually.

Hope you'll get well soon!

.hacked

I got a little guy and that was always my biggest fear, when he was a puppy I even put a bell on him so I could always hear where he was. Cant tell you how many time I almost stepped on the little guy.

Take it as a lesson and be extra careful next time.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'm sorry you have to go through this. Fear of something like this happening is what causes me to be completely overprotective and slightly paranoid with my little dog.

entremet

Sorry to hear. Awful accident.

Did the puppy have a box? Most of my friends who had puppies box trained them.

Ruddles72

My thoughts are with you. I have a new small pup myself and almost had a severe accident when he got under my feet as I was carrying some laundry down some steps. Puppies do that sort of thing, and I'm glad your conscious brain knows that it isn't your fault. I hope your subconscious brain doesn't beat you up too much.

Fishlake

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I hope you don't get too down on yourself.

I have a friend's mom who ran the washing machine not knowing the cat was sleeping at the bottom of it. She was really sad and regretful for a long time. She noticed it sounded weird but it was a large load and she wrote it off as the jeans. I think that is what made her feel most guilty.

Kyuur

Thank you everyone for your sympathy and empathy. especially those with those sharing their own stories. Every bit helps right now.

I got a little guy and that was always my biggest fear, when he was a puppy I even put a bell on him so I could always hear where he was. Cant tell you how many time I almost stepped on the little guy.

This is a good idea. We will probably get another puppy in the future, although it probably won't be for a long while. I will remember this.

Sorry to hear. Awful accident.

Did the puppy have a box? Most of my friends who had puppies box trained them.

She did not, she seemed to do okay with just her bed for settling down after a couple of days. The only times I would have thought she needed to be crated would be when she was doing something bad, and I have read that they should not be used as punishment.

Oh man i'm really sorry op :(

I once had a really tiny really young cat only days old that somehow found himself in my garden and though we tried real hard he still didn't make it and passed away weeks later. It's really disheartening to fail someone so young... but in time you make space for other things too.

That's a horrible accident. I'm the type of person that runs full speed when someone knocks on the door and one time my cat ran right in front of me when I was running to the door and i kicked the cat and he went flyin and I fell to the ground. Luckily the cat was fine but I felt sick to my stomach when it happened.

That really sucks OP. I lost a kitty once when my mom slammed the sliding door to the backyard shut and the kitty tried to make a run for it and got caught in the doorway. Accidents happen. Dont beat yourself up over it. I hope you get another puppy and find the joy and happiness you were looking for.

It's a terrible lesson to learn, but those puppies are so small and fragile that any step can be fatal when you're not careful. I almost learned that the hard way.

Ok, now the local shelter having a policy to not hand out pets until they are 2 makes way more sense knowing that can happen.
Really sorry OP, pets have a knack for getting in your walking path.

I'm so sorry OP. I don't know what else to say, other than don't blame yourself. Even when the consequences can be so harsh, accidents like this do happen. You'll move past this and find another special puppy to give your love to.

Tagyhag

Man that's horrible, was the puppy really that small?

I know you feel terrible, but don't take it out on yourself, it was 100% an accident.

pj

Banned
Thank you everyone for your sympathy and empathy. especially those with those sharing their own stories. Every bit helps right now.

This is a good idea. We will probably get another puppy in the future, although it probably won't be for a long while. I will remember this.

She did not, she seemed to do okay with just her bed for settling down after a couple of days. The only times I would have thought she needed to be crated would be when she was doing something bad, and I have read that they should not be used as punishment.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better for you to get another puppy (or adult dog) soon. You were all ready for the decade+ commitment a week ago, and it sounds like that hasn't changed. Instead of feeling bummed every time you see a dog for the next couple of years, getting another one now may help you get over what happened.

Downhome

Kyuur, I'm so sorry to hear this. Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't be broken-hearted after just a week. We rescued our Boston from a likely puppy mill and the first thing we did was take it to a vet right away, like no more than an hour went away from adoption to vet. The vet told us to take her back, that she had a bad heart murmur, and that she would no doubt die before long at all.

We said he was crazy, said no, and took her on and she is healthy and happy now over a year and half later.

My point is this - the connection begins immediately and it is heartbreaking when something goes wrong, have it be minutes, hours, or a week down the road.

Kyuur

I really feel you op. Today my dog died too. The important is that you know that it wasn't your fault. ;)

I'm sorry to hear that Giankratos, I hope it was under better circumstances than mine. Good reminder that this sort of thing is always happening to someone though, tragic as that may be..

Man that's horrible, was the puppy really that small?

I know you feel terrible, but don't take it out on yourself, it was 100% an accident.

She was quite tiny. Smaller than my shoe curled up.

Thank you, I am definitely trying to find my peace with it.

That's not what I thought the story was gonna be when I read the title. :(

I have to apologize for this, I realized after I posted that it could be taken as a missing dog instead. Sorry if I caught anyone offguard.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better for you to get another puppy (or adult dog) soon. You were all ready for the decade+ commitment a week ago, and it sounds like that hasn't changed. Instead of feeling bummed every time you see a dog for the next couple of years, getting another one now may help you get over what happened.

You may be right. Unfortunately, the vet bills and what we paid for the pup in the beginning combined with other circumstances will mean that we probably can't get one for at least a few months.

We still have our 2 kitties, who we love very much. The previously sick one is very happy to be back and sleeping with us, kind of comforting.

Kyuur, I'm so sorry to hear this. Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't be broken-hearted after just a week. We rescued our Boston from a likely puppy mill and the first thing we did was take it to a vet right away, like no more than an hour went away from adoption to vet. The vet told us to take her back, that she had a bad heart murmur, and that she would no doubt die before long at all.

We said he was crazy, said no, and took her on and she is healthy and happy now over a year and half later.

My point is this - the connection begins immediately and it is heartbreaking when something goes wrong, have it be minutes, hours, or a week down the road.

Definitely; everyone I've talked with, family, friends and you guys have been super supportive and understanding. Glad your doggy turned out fine!

Thanks again everyone for the reinforcement and stories, its much appreciated.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Damn...that sucks. It really sucks. My dog is 10 and he walks under me from time to time. I have to do everything I can from stepping on him or falling on him. He has gotten stepped on a few times because of this. Definitely not your fault. Sorry dude. Hope you can get another puppy soon.

bill0527

My condolences OP.

My wife and I both had 45 minutes of those same feelings last night thinking we just killed our 15 week old kitten.

She was under the recliner and my wife put the footrest down. Heard a crunch and then a complete look of shock and horror like I have never seen went over my wife's face..and then mine too. We thought for sure we had just crushed the kitten. I went to lift up the recliner from the back fully expecting to see this crushed mangled kitten underneath...but the kitten was gone. We searched the house 45 minutes and finally found her in the corner. She was alive but was skint up pretty good with clumps of hair missing in several places. Luckily she had escaped out the backside of the recliner before the lever of the footrest had completely crushed her.

1234.jpg

I'm sorry to hear that Giankratos, I hope it was under better circumstances than mine. Good reminder that this sort of thing is always happening to someone though, tragic as that may be..

She was 18 and died of old age (probably her heart stopped working). Surely better circumstances, at least she lived a long life... she was actually older than my sister, and i'm still expecting to hear or see her roaming inside the house :(

But accidents happens, you know. Make sure you don't blame yourself for what happend, at least i'm sure the puppy was loved for the little he lived with you. :)

R.I.P. little puppy

Marvel

could never
Heartbreaking :( sorry about your loss truly. Came in thinking pup had got lost ugh :'(

Picking up a Chihuahua pup next week, one concern of mine is actually how small they really are.

Kyuur

I had the OP renamed, sorry again to those who might have been mislead and read a story they did not want to.

We're doing a bit better today. I think I've been able to come to terms with it as an accident, through typing it out here and talking with others. Thanks again to everyone.

My condolences OP.

My wife and I both had 45 minutes of those same feelings last night thinking we just killed our 15 week old kitten.

She was under the recliner and my wife put the footrest down. Heard a crunch and then a complete look of shock and horror like I have never seen went over my wife's face..and then mine too. We thought for sure we had just crushed the kitten. I went to lift up the recliner from the back fully expecting to see this crushed mangled kitten underneath...but the kitten was gone. We searched the house 45 minutes and finally found her in the corner. She was alive but was skint up pretty good with clumps of hair missing in several places. Luckily she had escaped out the backside of the recliner before the lever of the footrest had completely crushed her.

Glad she turned out okay! Recliners and cats are definitely a scary combination, I've seen mine climb into them as well. Can definitely imagine your panic for those 45 minutes.. I tend to freak out if I just can't find them, let alone something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom