• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast 2 Review Thread

jmaine_ph

A PSU complaint was that the game was "unnecessarily dark" and that the "camera battery life is dreadful" ummm that's what make the first game great to me

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Somewhat disappointing recepetion. I thought this would go toe to toe with RE7.

For me it's sort of a perfect companion piece. First person but totally atmospheric as hell, more intense and heavier themes then RE7 and because of that feels really different. RE7 gave me the tension but I grew to over power it by the end. Outlast 2 starts intense, only get worse and more dire till the end.

Tiops

I honestly dont remeber any cocks... but maybe with everything else going on, the cocks were the least of my worries lol

I could be mistaken, as you have to actually look for dicks to see them, like in Outlast 1. But I believe some enemies are naked.

Goldboy

Great reviews! I'm really looking forward to playing this.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, saw a couple 8 and 9 out of 10s and didn't even notice the 3s and 4s, lol. The polarizing reception honestly has me even more interested, though.

I cant say I had fun honestly and wanted the game to end but because I couldn't take it anymore.
giphy.gif

Ok that's it I'm out of here, don't want any more spoilers about male human penises and what have you. See you on the other side horror game GAF.

plushyp

So I was right in guessing that the flashbacks and hallucinations would be the star of the show. Most of the reviews I've read praise them while wishing the chases were less frustrating and had more sign posting.

So I was right in guessing that the flashbacks and hallucinations would be the star of the show. Most of the reviews I've read praise them while wishing the chases were less frustrating and had more sign posting.

I actually felt those were the weaker portions as they were super guided still really enjoyable though. I prefer the more open approach and with dying and reloading happening super quick. Never got too frustrated in the more open areas. In a game that is mostly about escaping and figuring out how to progress, every little bit of thought into doing so went a long way for me.

I'd argue it's even more try hard, personally. They try so hard to one-up
the torture scene from the original
that a lot of the set-pieces seem to literally exist just to "shock" you and garner the same reaction.

The first was like a trip into a horror fun house a times. This one feels like walking into a crazy cultist camp, with fanatics screaming at you, weird shit happening, and even a dash of Rob Zombie like graphicness and intensity. I cant say I had fun honestly and wanted the game to end but because I couldn't take it anymore. Last me around 8 hours.

Also best chase sequences in a horror game for me since Call of Cthullu dark corners.

It's 10 times more "tryhard" than the first one.

it's way, WAY more tryhard than the first one. Like, the first one is kinda like child's play compared to shit that happens in this one.

You will probably hate this one as it seems even gorier. From the demos I saw, there were piles of dead kids and one of the deaths involves your dick getting hatcheted.

Yeah, sounds like it's definitely not for me then. Thanks for the responses everyone.

So many people calling this 'try-hard' but what does that actually mean? That it goes out of its way to try and make imaginative shocking sequences? Does this damage the realism? Is there even meant to be any realism to damage?

HeelPower

Is it known what kind of horror the game delves into ?

I dont think I want more of Whistle blower's extreme sexual gore. The demo did seem to have psychedelic stuff.

Honestly, worse stuff then cocks in here and if religious stuff gets to you. Hold into your butts.

Oh boy! Did the game shift its attention to anal attractions now ? :s

Tiops

I was planning to do a playthrough on my small YouTube channel and ended up doing only a "first impressions", as the game is too heavy for the content I usually do lol. The themes are heavy and disgusting, and it touches religion in a way that I don't really like, using Christian imagery with violence and sexual themes.

Should be good for people that like over the top horror stuff.

So many people calling this 'try-hard' but what does that actually mean? That it goes out of its way to try and make imaginative shocking sequences? Does this damage the realism? Is there even meant to be any realism to damage?

Cause it really goes all out with graphic content and elements that are gross. I dont feel its try hard if it fits their theme and here it def does.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The gamespot reviewer doesn't know the difference between a horror game and a survival horror game.

Gamespot said:
I'm willing to accept its shortcomings for the sake of true survival horror.

No.

I used it in the sense that the first game went out of its way to appear shocking - the torture sequence and one of the prisoners raping a corpse as two examples (I think it's a decapitated corpse actually). It's not the kind of horror that appeals to me as it's designed to be ultra in-your-face with shocking imagery and tons of jump scares. I'm more interested in something that gets under you skin, like Silent Hill 2, Soma or (in film) The Witch.

Paste Review is an interesting read, it's the lowest score and the review embodies how the game felt cheap and Slapstick rather than scary to the reviewer.

What are others thoughts?

I don't really like the term "try-hard." But I guess there's a difference between a Silent Hill and a Dead Space. Whether you like subtle horror or all out gorefests. There's nothing wrong with a horror game that is basically one big Heavy Metal album cover. It's all a matter of preference.

Anung

Un Rama
I don't really like the term "try-hard." But I guess there's a difference between a Silent Hill and a Dead Space. Whether you like subtle horror or all out gorefests. There's nothing wrong with a horror game that is basically one big Heavy Metal album cover. It's all a matter of preference.

Luckily enough both types of horror have a place in my heart. I love your Jacob's Ladder style atmospheric horror that gets under your skin and I love schlock horror that exists for the cheap thrills.

D23

After beating RE:7 in the highest difficulty setting in VR. I don't think any games can scare me anymore... will give this one a try..

EZA said the game is about 6 hours which I think is a perfect length for these kinda games. The first game felt really really long.

I could be mistaken, as you have to actually look for dicks to see them, like in Outlast 1. But I believe some enemies are naked.

I don't recall any dicks, either?

But honestly, the game is so hectic that it's hard to pay attention to every little detail when you're running for your life and hiding in a closet.

I really liked the original and will be buying this one no questions asked. The setting does seem a bit less interesting but that's okay.

Anung

Un Rama
Good write up from Easy Allies. I skimmed through the video as I'm going into this as blind as possible.

Sounds like a good time. The first one, as shallow as it is, is a top notch haunted house thrill ride and I expect the same from this.

FaintDeftone

So the word on the street is that Red Barrels cut that orgy scene out that pissed off the Australian ratings board. Has that been confirmed?

kc44135

Hmm, reviews are definitely a bit more mixed than I was expecting. I'll still check out the game at some point due to my love of the Horror genre and Horror games in general, but I honestly prefer Horror games with combat and resource management. I get that isn't what they're going for here, but still, after RE7, I really hope we get more Horror games in it's style. Just being able to fight back, and having the option between fight or flight (not to mention backtracking, puzzles, etc.) felt so fresh for me compared to most modern Horror games like Outlast.

Granjinha

I wouldn't call most of the shocking scenes in Outlast 1/2 imaginative, really. Shocking? Sure. Not imaginative tho

Top Bottom